Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/29/2010 4:00:26 AM   
Wild

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Production chart was posted on page 16 of this thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/13846/1305F57D54DA45C2AAD25EF9B4472B71.gif

[/quote

Pavel that producton chart is great. I must have missed it before.

Once again great work guys.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 661
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/29/2010 4:03:00 PM   
Uedel

How modable will WiTE be?

OOB? Production i read somewhere no?
Combosition of forces? i.e. are i am able to shift more Stug´s to the inf divisions and have less Tank Divisions etc?

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 662
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/29/2010 4:15:27 PM   
Great_Ajax

Many of these questions have been answered. I would recommend you read the Editor thread that is stickied.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uedel

How modable will WiTE be?

OOB? Production i read somewhere no?
Combosition of forces? i.e. are i am able to shift more Stug´s to the inf divisions and have less Tank Divisions etc?

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to Uedel)
Post #: 663
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/1/2010 9:16:04 AM   
Zemke

About what time frame are we looking here till this is released? I'm not asking for a date, but something like 6-12 months, or 1-2 years or something pretty non-specific will be fine. I'm sure it won't be released one day sooner, as you want to make sure it is right.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 664
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/1/2010 12:24:45 PM   
elmo3

Six months is as good a guess as any.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 665
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/1/2010 12:32:07 PM   
british exil

2010 was the "date" used when matrix annouced the game was to be released. So I guess that a release in 6 months would be fitting.

We will just have to be patient and carry on reading the AAR's till the game is 100% ready.

Otherwise we will have a complaing forum saying why was the game released too early etc. etc.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 666
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/1/2010 6:24:48 PM   
Uedel

i dont think that there would be many complaints, as far as i can read the Game is done very well allready, but Gary whant to be this his Masterpiece

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 667
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/1/2010 8:12:56 PM   
elmo3

Currently there is no PBEM, music, or sound effects.  Plus we are still finding bugs that need to be squashed.  The game is not ready yet. That is not meant as any kind of criticism since we are still in alpha.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 5/1/2010 8:13:11 PM >

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Uedel)
Post #: 668
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/1/2010 9:50:45 PM   
british exil

No critism was meant by my side.

But what kind of sound effects are we talking of? What kind of music? Or will we be able to make some kind of personal playlist that can be inserted into the music folder?

I know from most games that I've played that most of the time I've turned off the music and sound effects because they seem to be a bit of a strain on my ears. After hours of playing hearing the same music does hurt.

But one thing I do know is as soon as Alpha is finished, beta follows and then the waiting is not as long.
Keep up the hard work, we know the end result is something we will enjoy for months and years.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 669
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/1/2010 10:11:40 PM   
elmo3

Sorry but I have no idea what kind of sound effects will be added or how music will be handled.  Ask again when it's in the game.  

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 670
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/2/2010 9:33:33 PM   
Pford

I don't know if this has been asked before, but: are the smaller scenarios played out on the same- massive- map? In other words, can the map be clipped to more digestible dimensions? Say, the Crimean campaign or the invasion of the Caucasus in '42.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 671
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/3/2010 1:57:17 AM   
elmo3

Yes the map can be trimmed to the appropriate size for a scenario.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Pford)
Post #: 672
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/3/2010 6:07:08 PM   
SGHunt

The following questions are posted here in response to Jon's AAR and his recent mention of reserves, so please have a look at that thread first:   
These reserve units (Tiger Battalion and LW AA Regt) have tranferred from OKH and are now 'with' Kleist's Army HQ unit - in an abtracted sense, ie they are able to be deployed by that HQ.    I take that to mean they are in reserve behind the lines and are in contact with their HQ?   
Can they be used to support any of Kleist's divisions/regiments, or do they need to be deployed via a particular Corps HQ?    (I have read that there is a system of die rolls and leadership attributes that affects this process.)

Is there a limit to the number of battles that they can be called to as 'fire brigade' units?   IF so, is this affected by the fact that one unit is made up of Tigers - that we know were used to rush from crisis to crisis - compared to the 88's which required much longer to deploy.  

What about distance?  Does it matter if they are mobile units or not?    I wonder if a screenie might be possible to show us how they are are used in a battle, and what influence they may have, please.

Stuart

< Message edited by von Jaeger -- 5/3/2010 6:08:41 PM >

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 673
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/3/2010 7:25:11 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Jaeger

The following questions are posted here in response to Jon's AAR and his recent mention of reserves, so please have a look at that thread first:   
These reserve units (Tiger Battalion and LW AA Regt) have tranferred from OKH and are now 'with' Kleist's Army HQ unit - in an abtracted sense, ie they are able to be deployed by that HQ.    I take that to mean they are in reserve behind the lines and are in contact with their HQ?   
Can they be used to support any of Kleist's divisions/regiments, or do they need to be deployed via a particular Corps HQ?    (I have read that there is a system of die rolls and leadership attributes that affects this process.)

Is there a limit to the number of battles that they can be called to as 'fire brigade' units?   IF so, is this affected by the fact that one unit is made up of Tigers - that we know were used to rush from crisis to crisis - compared to the 88's which required much longer to deploy.  

What about distance?  Does it matter if they are mobile units or not?    I wonder if a screenie might be possible to show us how they are are used in a battle, and what influence they may have, please.

Stuart

I'm going to take a shot at answering you but this isn't my area of expertise so if I get anything wrong somebody else can chime in to correct me.

The battalions Jon is referring to probably came as reinforcements to OKH since support units are not on map units. Since I recall from an earlier post that Jon has the automated system for moving support units around turned off (called having the HQ "locked" in the game) these reinforcements would have accumulated at OKH and must be manually transferred to lower HQs which is what Jon did, attaching them to Kleist's HQ.

Support units in an army HQ can support any combat that units in the army's chain of command become involved in but being removed a level (above corps) might make receiving that support more problematic. It might be wise to attach them to a corps HQ and with respect to the Tiger battalion a case can be made for attaching it directly to a division. There is a limit to how many support units can support a particular battle but I don't think there is a limit on the number of battles they can support provided they pass all the necessary die rolls. A support unit directly attached to a combat unit always supports that unit.

As for distance the HQ has to have a path free of enemy ZOC of no more than 5 hexes to the unit(s) it is providing support for. This support range is the same for all level HQs (corps, army, army group/front, OKH/STAVKA). The support range limitation is reason in and of itself for having support units at corps level.

I think if you go back through the AARs you may be able to find a screen shot of a combat showing support units participating in combat or maybe Jon will kind enough to post one for you from his current game.

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 674
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/3/2010 7:37:57 PM   
Joel Billings

A support unit attached to a German army will only support units that are directly attached to the Army HQ. If all of the combat divisions are attached to corps HQ's, then the support units need to be pushed down the chain and placed in the Corps HQ's in order for them to participate in combat.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 675
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/3/2010 8:54:02 PM   
PyleDriver

The LW flak is attached to a corps HQ. However units transfered out of OKH can only be transfered to Army HQ's or higher (only one transfer per turn per unit). The 502nd is in 1st PzA HQ and will need to be transfered to a corp or divison the next turn. I was using a little drama letting you know where they went...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 676
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/3/2010 9:39:33 PM   
SGHunt

Thanks for these responses - and get the 502nd down the line asap! 

How many times can a Corps level support unit be activated per game turn?    

Do the same mechanics apply for activating in the attck as in the defence?

S

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 677
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/4/2010 3:44:02 AM   
Kubel

If War in the East is 1/2 as good as AE the wait will be worth it ...I do believe it will be as good or better

Don
"Our profession should always be crowned by heroic death in battle" Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 678
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/4/2010 5:11:15 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Jaeger

Thanks for these responses - and get the 502nd down the line asap! 

How many times can a Corps level support unit be activated per game turn?    

Do the same mechanics apply for activating in the attck as in the defence?

S

I have not seen anything in the manual yet about how many times one support unit can participate in different battles in the same turn. Offhand I believe the mechanics are the same.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 679
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/6/2010 7:59:16 AM   
Neal_MLC

I want to make a request for the opening music. I think Al Stewart's "Road to Berlin" would be very appropriate.

no matter where you go, there you are

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 680
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/6/2010 1:49:17 PM   
Theng

You know they have to pay for the music? In all likelihood, the stock music will be public domain for just that reason or their cost goes up in a meaningful way.

Molon Labe!

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 681
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/6/2010 3:06:50 PM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neal_MLC

I want to make a request for the opening music. I think Al Stewart's "Road to Berlin" would be very appropriate.

I was thinking more like War Ensemble from Slayer...

War Ensemble - Slayer

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 682
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/6/2010 3:21:32 PM   
ComradeP

As long as it doesn't include a 15 minute speech about how cool the Republicans are.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 683
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/6/2010 3:23:17 PM   
Rasputitsa

[/quote]

I was thinking more like War Ensemble from Slayer...

[/quote]

No, I think music would be a better idea.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 684
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/6/2010 3:27:32 PM   
ComradeP

Imagine some casual grognard installing the game and suddenly hearing...Tom Araya(with or without the obligatory pre-concert speech).

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 685
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/6/2010 4:39:55 PM   
PyleDriver

You guys are killing me. If you want to talk about music start a music thread. This is a Q&A thread and Jim and others are here to answer questions not hear your views on music. Please start another thread on this...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 686
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/7/2010 2:47:37 AM   
Shupov

I second Neal_MLC's idea, but it's "Roads to Moscow"

< Message edited by Shupov -- 5/7/2010 2:52:45 AM >

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 687
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/7/2010 11:52:00 PM   
ComradeP

If units in static mode require less trucks to move, does that also mean the unit has less trucks that can be captured/destroyed in combat as the trucks will be send back to the pool?

Can encircled units become static, if so, what happens to their trucks?

Can the Soviets attack across the Finnish no attack line. If so, what keeps the Soviets from getting some easy experience knowing the Finns can't attack them?

If training is included as something the player can control or influence (as in: if players can set a unit to train or if a unit will train automatically if left alone somewhere), at what rate will it gain experience?

It has been discussed that Soviet Tank Divisions split up into brigades late in 1941, but what happens to Mechanized Corps, or are the 1941 Mechanized Corps abstracted and not represented as actual Corps sized formations?

Hard Sarge recruited regular troops into a Guards formation a while ago. How many units need to be Guards to create a Guards Division/Corps if you combine them with other units to form the formation? In other words: do you get a Guards Rifle Corps when you combine a Guards Rifle Division with two regular Rifle Divisions, assuming the regular Rifle Divisions have a reasonable experience level but are not actually Guards?

As an aside, whilst checking Soviet unit strengths during the battle of Smolensk, I noticed that numerous 1941 Mechanized Corps actually included more regiments than the late war Mechanized Corps contained (although the ones I'm using for comparison might be understrength). A 1941 Mechanized Corps has a total (I'm combining some units for the sake of comparison) average paper strength of 2 motorcycle regiments, 3 artillery regiments, 5 tank regiments and 4 motorised rifle regiments.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 5/7/2010 11:53:24 PM >

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 688
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/8/2010 12:37:21 AM   
wurger54

I am truely intimidated by the complexity of this beast. Still looking forward to it!

Question: Is there a way to simulate the intentional retreat/panic (depending on the interpretation) of Soviet units that resulted in the Germans 'kesseling' little more than air during '42?

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 689
RE: War in the East Q&A - 5/8/2010 1:01:01 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

If units in static mode require less trucks to move, does that also mean the unit has less trucks that can be captured/destroyed in combat as the trucks will be send back to the pool?

trucks will be sent back to the pool, so they are not there to be captured, so, yes, less will be lost if the unit gets attacked

Can encircled units become static, if so, what happens to their trucks?

hmmmmm, gamey, don't know, never tried it, yet

Can the Soviets attack across the Finnish no attack line. If so, what keeps the Soviets from getting some easy experience knowing the Finns can't attack them?

well, the Fin's can't attack across, that don't mean they can't defend, you slap them, they will slap you back, and Fins don't like to be slapped !

If training is included as something the player can control or influence (as in: if players can set a unit to train or if a unit will train automatically if left alone somewhere), at what rate will it gain experience?

you gain some, by sitting still or by week, but combat is the better trainer, you also have Exp and morale to worry about, you can be High Morale and low Exp, so, would think something like 50-50 would be better then 30-70 (I got one Guard Corps, with a Morale of 26, only thing I can think of, it was out of supply for a bit)

It has been discussed that Soviet Tank Divisions split up into brigades late in 1941, but what happens to Mechanized Corps, or are the 1941 Mechanized Corps abstracted and not represented as actual Corps sized formations?

in 41, the MC are HQ type units, so have troops assigned to them, like a SU Army would, so, a MC may have 3 Tank Divs and 2 Rifle Divs and a few Brigs under it's control (would have to look to be sure of the set up, mine normally die too fast for me to get a grip on what they should be

Hard Sarge recruited regular troops into a Guards formation a while ago. How many units need to be Guards to create a Guards Division/Corps if you combine them with other units to form the formation? In other words: do you get a Guards Rifle Corps when you combine a Guards Rifle Division with two regular Rifle Divisions, assuming the regular Rifle Divisions have a reasonable experience level but are not actually Guards?

2 of the 3, need to be Guard, to combine units and become a higher Formations
if the same type, any unit can be merged, but that will most likely lower the Morale/Exp level if you do it with a Guard (a trade off, you may need the men, but the unit itself will not be as good)

now, if as you say, if the 2 normals are high morale, adding the Guard to them, will still form a normal, but the little extra boost, may get it promoted to a Guard the next turn or so ???

As an aside, whilst checking Soviet unit strengths during the battle of Smolensk, I noticed that numerous 1941 Mechanized Corps actually included more regiments than the late war Mechanized Corps contained (although the ones I'm using for comparison might be understrength). A 1941 Mechanized Corps has a total (I'm combining some units for the sake of comparison) average paper strength of 2 motorcycle regiments, 3 artillery regiments, 5 tank regiments and 4 motorised rifle regiments.

I think that works with our set up, the MC will be a HQ type unit, and can have as many Brigs added to it as you want (there is a command limit, over that, and it gets HARDer to control those under them, but you can still add them, so say in 42, the Army size is 27, but you can go 30-35-40 points of units into that Army, you just are going to missing some command rolls)

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI