Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/1/2010 1:01:00 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: traubi

oh boy i dont got the time to read all of these.
just one simple question:
how much hex a unit can move in one turn? in wir it was 5/2 but there were much bigger hexes.
thx!

Units expend movement points based on terrain, morale, and zones of control so there is no single answer to your question. For comparison's sake, a panzer/motorized division would have a maximum movement rate of 50 movement points while an infantry division would be 16 points so technically a panzer division is 3 times faster than an infantry division before considering the 3 factors mentioned above.

(in reply to traubi)
Post #: 1081
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/5/2010 10:32:54 PM   
cardolan

From left to right

Administrative points, terrain, ¿big blue eye?

I also noticed the 0.820 file version. 0.180 to go

Admin points/weather (clear)/ ice level (0 - no ice)

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 10/10/2010 11:52:09 PM >

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1082
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/5/2010 11:29:00 PM   
hgilmer3

This doesn't have to be answered by people in the know and I'm not holding anyone, but ***typically*** how long after they post the redirect thinger do games tend to go on sale?

(in reply to cardolan)
Post #: 1083
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/6/2010 7:15:30 AM   
randallw

Early in the war some of the Soviet have regional designations, like the Lithuanian rifle divisions; are they changed to the traditional Soviet ones later on?

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 1084
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/10/2010 11:29:56 PM   
sillyflower

In Jon's current AAR, he seems to be losing about 2000 trucks pw. When does the effect of lack of trucks kick in and what is it? Is it just supplies or does it also impact separtely on combat/movement ability of motorised units?

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1085
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/10/2010 11:53:30 PM   
Joel Billings

It can impact the MPs of units, although the lack of fuel can do that as well. I can't remember if the lack of vehicles has a combat impact or not.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 1086
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/19/2010 2:15:53 AM   
Captain B

In Jon's latest AAR, it looks like the Germans will link up with the Finns on the EASTERN shore of Lake Ladoga. What happens to the Finnish no attack line then? If Leningrad has not fallen, can the Finns join in the attack there? I knew better than to ask this in Jon's AAR

There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 1087
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/19/2010 8:02:51 AM   
randallw

The game keeps track of equipment that the countries upgrade during the war.  To swap out a unit with an upgraded type ( for example a PzIIIE to G or H ) I suppose the full unit ( panzer division ) has to spend a full turn upgrading?

(in reply to Captain B)
Post #: 1088
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/19/2010 10:12:43 AM   
karonagames

quote:

In Jon's latest AAR, it looks like the Germans will link up with the Finns on the EASTERN shore of Lake Ladoga. What happens to the Finnish no attack line then?

From the manual (subject to change etc., etc.)

In addition, unless Leningrad (Hexes X81, Y16 and X80, Y15) is German controlled, Finnish ground units may not attack enemy units that are in hexes south of the Svir River, nor may they attack enemy units in hexes X80,Y14, X81,Y14, X81,Y13 or X82,Y13 or any hexes south of this line. This line is displayed on the map and labeled the ‘Finnish No Attack Line’. Though there is no prohibition from Finnish units moving into hexes south of this line, even if enemy controlled, Finnish units suffer a morale penalty if they are south of the Finnish no attack line. Finnish morale will drop by one each turn they are south of the no attack line if their morale is above the Finnish Morale Threshold. The threshold is 65 if one hex over the line, and is reduced by one for each additional hex south of the line. There is also an additional cumulative morale reduction of one point for each hex row east of hex row X100 for Finnish units.
Finally, with the exception of ground support, Finnish air missions cannot be conducted on or south of the row Y15 until both Leningrad hexes are captured by the Axis player.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1089
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/19/2010 10:26:32 AM   
karonagames

quote:

The game keeps track of equipment that the countries upgrade during the war.  To swap out a unit with an upgraded type ( for example a PzIIIE to G or H ) I suppose the full unit ( panzer division ) has to spend a full turn upgrading?

It is a little bit more complicated than that,depending on the availability of the new equipment in the equipment pool, and whether the receiving unit is on, or next to an undamaged rail-line and in refit mode. The best chance of being re-equipped is to be on a rail line well away from the front line in refit mode, but it might take more than a week if you have several units in refit mode, as each will receive a share from the available equipment pool. If the unit is the only unit in refit mode that uses the new equipment it should get the lion's share of what is available.

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 1090
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/19/2010 1:10:55 PM   
jaw

I would add that the program, not the player, controls upgrades so just being in supply in refit mode does not guarantee a unit will be upgraded to the latest and greatest. This situation is especially true if the desired combat element is not in the current TOE of the parent unit.

Post #: 1091
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/20/2010 12:00:58 AM   
wmcalpine

A couple of questions regarding Leningrad isolation in Jon's AAR:

Does isolation of the troops in the Leningrad pocket (and Leningrad itself) result in a decrease readiness and supplies?

Does isolation lead to formation surrender or desertion?

Thank you

Bill

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1092
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/20/2010 1:22:03 AM   
PyleDriver

Bill I still have to attack to spend there supplies, theres no more on the way. After a loss of supply they will tend to surrender, maybe not. Theres no display for desertion however many troops and small equipment make it out of pockets and join partisans. I'm really crossing my fingers that I have enough time left to reduce Leningrad...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 1093
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/20/2010 6:55:40 PM   
zbig

In Jon's AAR, can the Soviet forces trapped against the sea of Azov receive supplies through the lake and if yes, does the German player know how much supplies they recieve and what their supply situation is?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 1094
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/21/2010 5:11:33 PM   
PyleDriver

Yes they do recieve supply much like Leningrad does. I'm not sure how impaired it is I guess thats a Joel answer. It has to do whith the lenght of the supply route...Whats really weard is they all did sea evacution the next turn. I guess I stumped on this one also...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1095
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/22/2010 11:09:35 AM   
gingerbread

In a screenshot in post 148 of the Jon vs Soviet AI '41 AAR <http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2603055>, one can see that the autonomous railroad repair units are bunching up on the same task, not very efficient use of resources

What is the intended behaviour of these units (in the code, that is)? In particular, are they prohibited or discouraged to work on a hex that would shorten the supply path to a front line hex?

< Message edited by gingerbread -- 10/22/2010 11:10:05 AM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 1096
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/22/2010 11:17:03 AM   
elmo3

You control a few rail repair units. The AI handles the rest. No idea how the AI prioritizes what hexes it chooses but it tends to fill in away from the front from what I've seen. Don't leave repair of your top priority rail lines to the AI.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 1097
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/23/2010 6:23:42 AM   
wmcalpine

In Jon's AAR turn 16, he has surrounded Moscow. Congrats Jon !!

Does Moscow (or any location on the map) serve as a supply source?

Bill

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 1098
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/23/2010 8:48:19 AM   
knilli

I have a Question about mountain troops. I searched the forum, but could not find anything about it. So apologies if it was already answered

In WIR mountain troops where the only performing ones during the first winter on the axis side. will that be the same? will axis mountain units have an advantage (compared to other axis units) in winter combat?

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 1099
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/23/2010 9:58:32 AM   
karonagames

Mountain units are not affected by the First Winter penalties.

It's only a Game

(in reply to knilli)
Post #: 1100
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/23/2010 10:28:22 AM   
knilli

@BigAnorak: Thx

Post #: 1101
RE: War in the East Q&A - 10/23/2010 5:04:38 PM   
PyleDriver

wmcalpine@ Moscow is not a supply source, all supply must be traced to the east edge of the map for the Soviets, the west edge for the Germans...So yes its isolated in my AAR...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to knilli)
Post #: 1102
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/2/2010 9:56:49 PM   
randallw

Can units be ordered on training missions, to get their efficiency/quality up?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 1103
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/2/2010 10:00:12 PM   
Joel Billings

It happens automatically for those units that need it.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1104
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/3/2010 7:15:30 AM   
randallw

So there is a level of experience/quality that units will automatically try to reach?  Are these numbers set by historical ratings, or something more like unit types?  For example would there be a specific number for all regular Soviet rifle divisions, then perhaps a higher number for Guards Rifle?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 1105
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/3/2010 2:24:47 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw

I would add that the program, not the player, controls upgrades so just being in supply in refit mode does not guarantee a unit will be upgraded to the latest and greatest. This situation is especially true if the desired combat element is not in the current TOE of the parent unit.

Is there any way of knowing that an upgrade is availiable for a particular unit? It would be a bit frustrating to pull a unit out of the line and put it in refit mode for a non-existent upgrade, and not very historical either.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1106
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/3/2010 5:33:31 PM   
karonagames

The potential upgrade happens when the TOE changes. I was just trying to illustrate ways to get the upgrade to happen quicker. Units in the front line will get the new gear, but at a slower rate than if they were out of the front line.

You get notified of a TOE change in the weekly logistics report, and you can check a units TOE at any time. There is more information available in this game than you can shake a very big stick at.

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 11/3/2010 5:34:18 PM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 1107
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/3/2010 6:53:01 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

So there is a level of experience/quality that units will automatically try to reach? Are these numbers set by historical ratings, or something more like unit types? For example would there be a specific number for all regular Soviet rifle divisions, then perhaps a higher number for Guards Rifle?

Units will train up to their morale level, so units with higher morale will eventually gain more from training. Guards units and units like elite SS divisions get morale bonuses, allowing them to have a higher morale level than their "ordinary" counterparts which in turn allows them to gain more experience through training or combat.

To give a more specific example: in 1941 the average Rifle Division has a morale of between 40 and 50. Guards will have a morale of around 60.

The only historical ratings are those at the start of the scenarios and the national morale, which is fixed at certain levels for certain periods (German national morale decreases each year, for example). After the start of the game, more or less everything related to morale level will depend on player actions, with good attacks raising morale and poor attacks lowering it.

quote:

Is there any way of knowing that an upgrade is availiable for a particular unit?

You can check all future TOE's and when they're scheduled to appear on turn 1 for all existing units, basically. You can't check TOE progression for unit types that don't yet exist, such as Tank Corps in 1941, as you need to be able to select a unit to see its future TOE upgrades. Even though they're not available in 1941 (that is: not as a combat unit, as there are early war Soviet Corps HQ's), you can deduce Rifle Corps TOE's by multiplying that of a division at a specific time by 3, as a Rifle Corps is basically the sum of its parts whilst Tank and Mechanized Corps have unique TOE's (not the same as 3 Tank or 3 motorized brigades).

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 11/3/2010 6:56:08 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

Post #: 1108
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/3/2010 10:08:06 PM   
wg335910

Is it just me? or are all of you discussing a product that is not available. And does not seem to be available for the near future. I have not seen any new release dates. Come to think of it, I haven't seen anything official about this product all this year. If the product is going to be delayed, say so. After all, I may be only one customer. But I'm sure there are many others out there scratching their heads. I have been a loyal customer for several years. If I am mis-understanding the situation, I apologize. If not, can someone tell me when this product is likely to be available. I believe I deserve at least that much. And finally, when all is said and done, this whole situation is making Mr. Grisby look bad. This company needs to address this immediately. Thank You.

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 1109
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/3/2010 10:27:47 PM   
SGHunt

Joel says we are Beta.   See his answer to Judge Dread below. Guess I need to change my signature.

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to wg335910)
Post #: 1110
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI