Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/6/2009 4:58:57 PM   
Hard Sarge

Lol, I get called a Nazi for wanting to use Security Troops to hunt Partisans, hate to see what your going to get called

(in reply to itsjustme)
Post #: 91
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/6/2009 6:36:57 PM   
hank

Thanks for the quick reply. So it will break down similar to the way TOAW Divisional Level scenarios work where unit division is allowed.

Thanks again

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 92
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 8:58:33 AM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

1) What are the statistics used in the game for combat units? Could you post some examples?
2) How are those statistics related to TOEs? Could you give us an example? I would love to take a look to a Luftwaffe Field Division!

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 93
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 12:27:24 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: itsjustme

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lascar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lascar

Will there be restrictions on units of different nationalities from cooperating with one another? For example, will the Romanians and Hungarians be prohibited from stacking together or even being adjacent with one another (i.e. Italian 8th army deployed between Hungarian 2nd and Romanian 3rd armies)

I keep nagging Gary to put such restrictions in but he hasn't done it yet. When I'm playing the Axis I never stack them together on principle.

I also do that with Russian campaign games that don't have such a rule hard coded.

If there are not stacking restriction are there at least combat penalties when various axis nationalities attack together i.e. Romanians and Germans or other such combinations?

There are combat penalties whenever units of different corps attack together but no penalty per se for being a different nationality at present.

Wait wait wait. You mean we can do something ahistorical? That can't be right, I thought this was a pure historical simulation. Someone please put code in which requires the use of SS divisions for partisan hunting.....

To elaborate, you can't attach a division form one nationality to a corps of another nationality (except for Germans) so units of different nationalities will almost always be attacking from different corps if participating in the same attack and be penalized. Only if you went through the trouble to attach units from two different nationalities to the same German corps (and I never tried this so I can't say it works) could you get around the penalty but that would be an awful lot of work re-organizing units that are marginal to begin with.

There is no historical justification for requiring SS divisions to hunt partisans and most of the SS operations against partisans that did occur were in the Balkans (not covered in the game) not on the Eastern Front. In the game those SS divisions that were off in the Balkans hunting partisans will not be present on the Eastern Front at that time.

But as a player you are free to hunt partisans with whatever divisions are at your disposal. An historical game doesn't mean you have to follow history just that you are bound by it.

(in reply to itsjustme)
Post #: 94
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 12:34:23 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

Lol, I get called a Nazi for wanting to use Security Troops to hunt Partisans, hate to see what your going to get called

Calm down please! I was not referring you to personally and the use of the term Nazis was a poor choice of word that I have already apologized for. My point was that the German use of high quality troops (the SS not security divisions) for anti-partisan operations is inefficient in game terms and not something a rational game player would do.

Again, I apologize for not having worded those comments more clearly.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 95
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 12:40:28 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

1) What are the statistics used in the game for combat units? Could you post some examples?
2) How are those statistics related to TOEs? Could you give us an example? I would love to take a look to a Luftwaffe Field Division!

By "statistics" are you referring to the composition of a unit (in this case a Luftwaffe field division) or the firepower values of a particular weapon (e.g. a 105mm howitzer)?

(in reply to Iñaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 96
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 2:33:45 PM   
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

quote:

By "statistics" are you referring to the composition of a unit (in this case a Luftwaffe field division) or the firepower values of a particular weapon (e.g. a 105mm howitzer)?

I was thinking about the data displayed to the player. I am not sure how it is done, is it like TOAW, in which TOE determines the combat power of any unit? To sum up, how is combat power of the unit claculated for combat resolution and what is presented to the player in numbers?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 97
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 3:14:28 PM   
Shupov

Are mortars considered as artillery or as part of a unit's intrinsic firepower? 

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

Post #: 98
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 6:34:27 PM   
Hard Sarge

Mortars are seen and counted as Guns

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 99
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 7:12:47 PM   
PyleDriver

50mm mortars arn't counted as artillery, 81mm and 120mm are...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 100
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 7:23:53 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

quote:

I was thinking about the data displayed to the player. I am not sure how it is done, is it like TOAW, in which TOE determines the combat power of any unit? To sum up, how is combat power of the unit claculated for combat resolution and what is presented to the player in numbers?

(Please note that the following is based on the game now and may change by publication date.)

When you scroll over a unit you see a numeric representation of its attack and defense strength. If it's your own unit the information is correct and you also see the percentage its current strength is of its TOE maximum. If it's an enemy unit your looking at, depending on the detection level, the quality of information you get varies from simply knowing the hex is occupied to reasonable approximation of the unit's actual strength. You can use these numeric values to do a rough calculation of how strong the respective forces are.

Assuming we're speaking of one of your own units, you can click on the unit and see the number of men, guns, & AFVs in the unit and the percentage available of the three supply classes (general supply, fuel & ammo). If you click "into" the unit you see a more detailed presentation of information including the actual supply holdings, the unit's morale rating, and a list of all the combat elements making up the unit (the TOE) showing the number ready or damaged and each combat element's experience & current level of fatigue. If you click on a combat element itself, you see the number of men in the combat element and the weapons it is equipped with, when the combat element was in service, and logistical information.

The information displayed on the map and in the unit displays are designed to give you an approximate idea of how strong a unit is but actual combat involves units attacking each other by actually "firing" the weapons their combat elements are equipped with at the combat elements of the enemy unit. For example, a panzer division equipped with Panthers and Panzer IVs (just to pick two combat elements out of all contained in the division) attacking a tank corps equipped with T-34s would involved the Panthers & Panzer IVs "shooting" at the T-34s.

Therefore even though at the "macro level" units have very conventional looking attack and defense strengths, combat is the interaction of individual weapon systems. In essense you have a strategic level game in which combat is being resolved at a level usually reserved for tactical games.

Post #: 101
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 7:27:23 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shupov

Are mortars considered as artillery or as part of a unit's intrinsic firepower? 

All crewed served weapons, including mortars, are individually listed in a unit's TOE.

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 102
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 9:41:55 PM   
Brady

Can Aircraft be detailed to intercept AirSuply, like as noted before whear partisnas are suplied by air, can the Axis detail fighter untis to interdict this?

I asume Factorys are abstracted and not on the map? (Italian Equpiment for example is likely built off Map).

What of Riverean Craft, and the Black sea, are any Naval assests in the game?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 103
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 10:25:23 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

Can Aircraft be detailed to intercept AirSuply, like as noted before whear partisnas are suplied by air, can the Axis detail fighter untis to interdict this?

I asume Factorys are abstracted and not on the map? (Italian Equpiment for example is likely built off Map).

Air Supply of partisans occurs at night so it can't be intercepted.

Most factories are on the map but there are some that are off map.

No naval units per se but both players have naval transport capability (not necessarily in the same areas) and the Russian player has amphibious assault capability in the Black Sea and Sea of Azov.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 104
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/7/2009 11:10:33 PM   
Brady

Thank You-

So Naval Suport, is abstracted , No E-Boats on the prowel.

Is the Air side of it a lot like WiTP/AE, in terms of how the planes and units are modled? This would, if so, asume night operations are posable, and Paratroopers could be deployed as well by a similar method (similar to WiTP/AE) ?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 105
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 1:02:56 AM   
jaw

quote:

Is the Air side of it a lot like WiTP/AE, in terms of how the planes and units are modled? This would, if so, asume night operations are posable, and Paratroopers could be deployed as well by a similar method (similar to WiTP/AE) ?

Yes, aircaft are similar to previous games but actual air operations are handled a bit differently due to the weekly turn scale. You can fly night missions and night fighters (German only) can attempt to intercept them. Airborne operations are possible but difficult to mount due to lack of airborne units if Axis and danger of interception if Russian.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 106
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 1:57:08 AM   
Brady

The Turns are Weekly??? (wow)

If I miesed it I am sry, whats the Hex scale?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 107
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 2:09:21 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

quote:

Air Supply of partisans occurs at night so it can't be intercepted.

Most factories are on the map but there are some that are off map.

No naval units per se but both players have naval transport capability (not necessarily in the same areas) and the Russian player has amphibious assault capability in the Black Sea and Sea of Azov.

we have night fighters in the game, other air units can be assigned to only fly at night, so if you want your bombers to bomb at night, you can set them to

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 108
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 2:27:49 AM   
jaw

quote:

The Turns are Weekly??? (wow)

If I miesed it I am sry, whats the Hex scale?

10 miles to the hex, a maximum of 3 units (regardless of size) can stack in a hex.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 109
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 2:31:53 AM   
Brady

Thanks again, but weekly turns huh, hard to wrap my head around that after doing single day turns for so long.

Can the turn cycle be adjusted, or is it set at weekly.

< Message edited by Brady -- 9/8/2009 2:32:45 AM >

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 110
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 10:12:24 AM   
jaw

quote:

Thanks again, but weekly turns huh, hard to wrap my head around that after doing single day turns for so long.

Weekly only and trust me you wouldn't want it to go any slower.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 111
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 4:48:02 PM   
Brady

quote:

quote:

Weekly only and trust me you wouldn't want it to go any slower.

K, I love the hex scale though, which speaks volums.

My perspective is limited of course, but I average an hour a turn for WiTP/AE, the thought of playing the whole war out in around 200 or so turns seams...very fast.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 112
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 5:04:23 PM   
paullus99

I thought the same thing about the monthly turns for GG:WbTS - but that game still takes between 8 - 16 hours to play.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 113
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 5:12:04 PM   
Ron

A wealth of information; thanks for your time and effort Jim. To say you are a very patient and helpful man would be a huge understatement.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 114
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 5:52:58 PM   
thackaray

quote:

10 miles to the hex, a maximum of 3 units (regardless of size) can stack in a hex.

3 unit stacking limit. What about units attached to HQ's are these units stacked in the HQ hex ?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 115
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 7:17:03 PM   
Helpless

quote:

3 unit stacking limit. What about units attached to HQ's are these units stacked in the HQ hex ?

No, support unit attached to HQ doesn't count towards the stacking limit.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to thackaray)
Post #: 116
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/8/2009 7:46:10 PM   
Brady

While touched apon earler, I thought I would seak some clarifacation on how units are withdrawn, or when and why they are and use the Ferdinand Example from before.

Historicaly Ferdinands were overhauled (the surviving) in St. Valentin (p. 265 Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653), and later the 1st Company, 653rd Havy Panzerjager Batalion would fight in Italy.

My question is, given that the overhaul and the deployement of the later were largely do to combate losses (and recovery of some toasted vehicals) does this unit get withdrawn at ats historic date regardless?

Also are their alowances for spares to be generated from loses asuming some vehicals were prety much always recovered from vehiclas that were killed in action.

< Message edited by Brady -- 9/8/2009 9:59:37 PM >

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 117
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 3:11:50 AM   
jaw

quote:

While touched apon earler, I thought I would seak some clarifacation on how units are withdrawn, or when and why they are and use the Ferdinand Example from before.

Historicaly Ferdinands were overhauled (the surviving) in St. Valentin (p. 265 Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653), and later the 1st Company, 653rd Havy Panzerjager Batalion would fight in Italy.

My question is, given that the overhaul and the deployement of the later were largely do to combate losses (and recovery of some toasted vehicals) does this unit get withdrawn at ats historic date regardless?

Also are their alowances for spares to be generated from loses asuming some vehicals were prety much always recovered from vehiclas that were killed in action.

The Ferdinands (called Elephants in the game) are grouped as independent battalions which are called support units in the game. Support units are always attached to larger formations (usually corps) and do not appear on the map. The withdrawal function only applies to units on the map so the only way the Elephants could withdraw would be to be attached to a unit slated for withdrawal. In the game, players who want to be as historically accurate as possible could do that or they could just disband the battalion containing the Elephants. Since the game doesn't force their withdrawal I suspect most players will keep the Elephants in action until they attrite to zero.

There is no function in the game to track spare parts inventories however AFVs know to have serviceability problems due to either mechanical defects or lack of spares have lower reliability ratings than AFVs without those problems.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 118
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 6:45:43 AM   
Muzrub

Is there any music in the game?

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 119
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/9/2009 11:35:32 AM   
Helpless

quote:

Is there any music in the game?

This is the most positive question .

There is no music - full build is big enough even without music. But I think there will be some.. from pshychodelic jazz to death metal.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTKykgUaMj4&feature=related

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI