Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/23/2011 11:32:25 PM   
RCHarmon

I am in 1942 playing the full campaign. Tigers are being produced and a Heavy panzer unit was brought online (created), my simple question is ......where are they at? I cannot find the unit formed and where should I look to find where the Tigers are?

I'm looking in the manual, but haven't found it yet.

Sorry for the simple question.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 1231
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/23/2011 11:43:11 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: RCH

I am in 1942 playing the full campaign. Tigers are being produced and a Heavy panzer unit was brought online (created), my simple question is ......where are they at? I cannot find the unit formed and where should I look to find where the Tigers are?

I'm looking in the manual, but haven't found it yet.

Sorry for the simple question.

They are a support unit you should find them at OKH

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 1232
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/24/2011 1:34:33 AM   
Senno

If you can trigger the breakup of AGS into AG's A and B before the first winter (against AI) it really relieves the command crunch far earlier than the timed occurence.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 1233
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/24/2011 3:31:27 AM   
RCHarmon

Turn 63 Heavy Panzer unit "ARRIVES"...........I have checked OKH and have gone back and replayed some moves up to and past turn 63. I never get the unit or any Tigers. Is there a bug ????

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 1234
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/24/2011 3:40:44 AM   
RCHarmon

I found it. 2nd corp 16th Army. How did it get there? How do I get it assigned to a Panzer Corp?

I was able to reassign it, but how did it end up in the 16th Army and not the OKH?

< Message edited by RCH -- 1/24/2011 3:47:24 AM >

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 1235
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/24/2011 7:13:04 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: RCH

I found it. 2nd corp 16th Army. How did it get there? How do I get it assigned to a Panzer Corp?

I was able to reassign it, but how did it end up in the 16th Army and not the OKH?

Probably because OKH support is not locked

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 1236
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/24/2011 9:57:12 PM   
madgamer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

Thanks again, but weekly turns huh, hard to wrap my head around that after doing single day turns for so long.

Can the turn cycle be adjusted, or is it set at weekly.

Buy ya books and buy ya books...and what do ya do? Tear of the covers and underline the good parts :-)
Met as humor only...but I don't see how you could have missed it but then when you get to 70 like me you can miss a WHOLE lot more.
If this is the only mistake you make consider yourself lucky. I can see if you have been doing day turns you have to change gears so to speak. BTW if this had been a day a one to three day per turn game I would not have bought it as I could be dead before I finish just one game LOL

Madgamer2

If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 1237
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/24/2011 11:41:43 PM   
randallw

You better be sure you have the game among the assets of your will, or there will be a really intense legal fight over who gets it. 

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 1238
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/29/2011 8:39:18 PM   
randallw

Did you playtesters reach a point where there was fighting in the mountainous areas of Romania and/or Hungary?  Did the Soviet player have to build lots of ski units to get through there at a decent pace?  Was a large disbandment of other units necessary to keep TOEs at a decent level?

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1239
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/30/2011 10:48:52 AM   
karonagames

Ron (Hard_Sarge) did most of the 44/45 testing, but he hasn't been posting for while. I'm not sure ski units assist with movement/combat in mountains, but I do know Ron found it hard going in that region.

It's only a Game

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1240
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/30/2011 10:53:51 AM   
randallw

Some of my ski units undergo conversion to mountain units late in the war, so that's worth something.

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 1241
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/30/2011 11:03:51 AM   
karonagames

I din't know they converted, so yes the more you can lay your hands on the better.

It's only a Game

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1242
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/30/2011 8:53:35 PM   
randallw

It's too bad the Soviet player cannot build mountain units but I guess that would be greedy. 

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 1243
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/31/2011 1:42:07 AM   
madgamer2

Please excuse the repeat but I did not want to plow through 1200+ posts to find the answer. I gather after one moves his on map units and checks for command he can attach any combat unit or HQ unit to a higher HQ with a larger range. I would like to keep from having to do this but it is not always possible to move a Corps HQ to a town hex or even a friendly rail hex thus having Div. of his Corps out of command.
Is the reassignment described here the only way to keep units in command? I have seen pictures of Armor,or mech or motorized way out in fron of there HQ's. So is this the only way or as usual am I missing something important here.

A somewhat confuses Madgamer2

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1244
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/31/2011 1:49:54 AM   
cookie monster

Keep your Corps HQ's within 5 Hexes 20 Movement Points of attached subordinates

Sometimes mech and armour are way out front to gain territory or close a pocket

Not to worry

All units outside HQ range get supplied in the second supply phase from a town/city supply source

Sometimes the armour is supplied by a player driven air transport mission

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 1245
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/31/2011 5:11:01 AM   
randallw

A corp HQ doesn't automatically have to be at a town or right on top of a working railhead.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 1246
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/31/2011 5:24:35 AM   
randallw

I never got a good answer to this: does being in a light forest ( light woods ) provide any advantage for the defender?  If not, then I might as well have units sitting in the open?

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1247
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/31/2011 12:30:22 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

I never got a good answer to this: does being in a light forest ( light woods ) provide any advantage for the defender?  If not, then I might as well have units sitting in the open?

From p203 of the ebook

You get a +1 defensive modifier

Also detection level go only get as high as 2.

A nice place to hide the tanks I think

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1248
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/31/2011 4:46:19 PM   
madgamer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw

Supply in WitE is a very complicated and involved process that would take pages to describe in detail so I will just give you the gist of it here.

There are three kinds of supply in WitE, fuel, ammo & general supply. Every unit in the game has particular requirements for each of these supply types. Units consume fuel when the move (or planes fly), ammo when they fight and general supply for a variety of purposes including the obvious rations.

When units consume more supplies than their supply requirements they must be re-supplied. Units draw supplies from their HQs or directly from a rail head if it is closer. Units can draw supplies up to 5 hexes (or 20 motorized movement points) from an HQ or rail head. HQs can draw supply up to 25 hexes (or 100 motorized movement points) from a rail head. The combined rail head to HQ to unit supply line cannot exceed 100 motorized movement points. HQs cannot supply other HQs.

Units within 6 hexes of a supply source get the full amount of available supply. Beyond that range supply is progressively deceased. Units low on supply have reduced movement ability (ground units) and are less combat effective (all units). Units beyond supply range or isolated are severely effected in both movement and combat.

Partisans can "interdict" supplies by damaging rail lines and supplies can be destroyed by bombing the HQ but in general the Eastern Front is just too big a place for either of these methods to be terribly effective.

Ok, so the capacity of the individual supply sources and/or the ultimate "National" supply capacity is infinite ?

The interdiction role of airpower was something that is in the current MWiR but I never really understood how it worked. Are you saying that there is no possibility of interdiction by using airpower in this game ?

I have a loose understanding of supply and I get the grist of what you are saying and there is no easy way to explain it. In the tips thread it is mentioned that you can change the supply source od a unit to a higher HQ
Like an Army or Army Group. It seems to me that it is the lowest level that problems happen with the corps being to far from there HQ. There is a setting that automatically will reassign a unit or if a Corps is out of supply to a higher HQ. is this a good procedure to follow at the end of each turn.

Madgamer2

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 1249
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/31/2011 9:45:45 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer2

Please excuse the repeat but I did not want to plow through 1200+ posts to find the answer. I gather after one moves his on map units and checks for command he can attach any combat unit or HQ unit to a higher HQ with a larger range. I would like to keep from having to do this but it is not always possible to move a Corps HQ to a town hex or even a friendly rail hex thus having Div. of his Corps out of command.
Is the reassignment described here the only way to keep units in command? I have seen pictures of Armor,or mech or motorized way out in fron of there HQ's. So is this the only way or as usual am I missing something important here.

A somewhat confuses Madgamer2

First, an HQ doesn't have to be in a town or on a rail hex to function. All you need concern yourself with is that the units subordinate to the HQ are within 5 hexes of it at the beginning and end of the turn and, if possible, that the HQ stays within supply range.

You don't want to attach units you plan to fight with to a higher HQ because of the command control/leadership rules.

If you are referring to combat unit attachment there is an auto attachment function but don't use it unless you have a ton of admin points; just manually attach when you have to.

I wouldn't put much value on the AAR screen shots because you don't know what point in the turn they were made. I, for one, always move my HQs as about the last thing I do each turn.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 1250
RE: War in the East Q&A - 1/31/2011 9:54:18 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer2

Ok, so the capacity of the individual supply sources and/or the ultimate "National" supply capacity is infinite ?

The interdiction role of airpower was something that is in the current MWiR but I never really understood how it worked. Are you saying that there is no possibility of interdiction by using airpower in this game ?

I have a loose understanding of supply and I get the grist of what you are saying and there is no easy way to explain it. In the tips thread it is mentioned that you can change the supply source od a unit to a higher HQ
Like an Army or Army Group. It seems to me that it is the lowest level that problems happen with the corps being to far from there HQ. There is a setting that automatically will reassign a unit or if a Corps is out of supply to a higher HQ. is this a good procedure to follow at the end of each turn.

Madgamer2

Supply is not infinite but I have never seen it actually run out.

You trace supply to your HQ or to supply source (usually a rail line) which ever is closer up to the maximum range. Supply will not be traced to an HQ the unit is not directly attached to and supply does not pass through higher HQs. It is always from supply source to the unit's HQ or directly to the unit.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 1251
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/1/2011 3:15:19 PM   
PMCN

The manual in 15.8.1 reads:
"There are many factors that go into determining the modified combat values used in deciding the winner and loser in a ground battle. One of the most critical is the leader combat (mech or infantry) rating check. A successful check can result in the CV of the combat unit being doubled. Several failed checks can result in the CV being halved."

In an ongoing AAR the final adjusted CV value was apparently multiplied by 3.

Can someone explain how the x3 can come about please?

Also is the final CV adjusted by ammunition state or is it just that the unit does not shoot in the combat phase?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 1252
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/4/2011 8:57:01 AM   
PMCN

On a more mundane topic.

What is the effect of guards status for air groups?  I have two Guards BAP but it strikes me that a morale boost is a bit wasted on air groups.

I was reviewing my AA units in the commanders report and had the sort by "wins" as I was basically seeing how close to guards status they were.  I spotted that my PVO AA Bn in Orel had 3 victories.  I don't recall Orel even being bombed, so I am utterly confused what is going on.  Any ideas why this unit has those victories?

The manual implies that you can move AA units between cities but I can't figure out how to do that mechanically.  Do I have to first send them to STAVKA and then re-assign them to another city hex?

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 1253
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/4/2011 3:31:59 PM   
elmo3

See section 9.3.2 for air unit Guards effects.

AA units might have fired on units overflying the city and scored victories that way.

See section 7.4.1 for details on transferring AA to cities.  Soviets can also build AA in cities using admin points.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 1254
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 12:09:02 AM   
ColVons

Question, is Wite a elite upgrade to Gary Grigsby's War in Russia fm the 90's.  It seems the normal games run the cost of either 39.99 or 49.99.  I was wondering why the 79.99 or 89.99 for Wite.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 1255
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 1:40:11 AM   
madgamer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: krooh

Question, is Wite a elite upgrade to Gary Grigsby's War in Russia fm the 90's.  It seems the normal games run the cost of either 39.99 or 49.99.  I was wondering why the 79.99 or 89.99 for Wite.

I am not a man of money matters but even i can figure this one out. Your comparing a period some 20 years ago with today and you think that the price of WitE is over priced because it is about twice the cost?

1. State of the design
2. depth of the game design
3. the simple cost of doing business

War in the East is a game that in 6 months will be a state of the art game on the East Front. War in Russia was a good game and I played that game for a long time and loved it. The cost of living is mostly the culprit. Just think what did gas cost in 1990?, cigs? food? Now Matrix has games at the price you state that are good games but if you want something that will challenge your mind and give you depth of play and great graphic's and a ground breaking game system then buy a copy and see for yourself.
You also get something that can't really be understood. You get forums with players who are very generous with helping others and are some of the best players there are. So why do they stay with Matrix games, because Matrix games stays with them. Sure WitE has problems like any complex game but Matrix unlike some other companies doesn't leave the player holding the bag. They work together with the forum members, the testers and the players to make a game like this better. If you spent any time at all reading any of the forums such as this one or War in the Pacific AE edition you will see people working together to create games that will last and are some of the best made.
Players must think so or matrix would no longer be around. We know that we are getting more than a game we are getting a company that works hard to do the best for its customers and we are getting a forum with real gamers and people helping each other. If you can't see this then its your loss. Some things are worth the extra cost because you do get what you pay for.

there is much more to a game than just a fancy box,CD(s), and a manual

Madgamer2

(in reply to ColVons)
Post #: 1256
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 3:05:23 AM   
2ndACR

Worth every penny. And then some, has some quirks to iron out, but still worth it.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 1257
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 3:16:49 AM   
ColVons

Matrix normal games go fm 39.99 for download only, 49.99 for boxed edition or 49.99 download to 59.99 boxed edition.  My question is why the huge 30.00 increase.  I have never before seen a 89.99 boxed edition.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 1258
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 3:32:06 AM   
2ndACR

Most of 2by3 monster games are in that price range. War in the Pacific and WITP-AE are both in that price range.

I cannot convince you except it is worth every penny and then some. If it says 2by3 and Matrix on it, you have the safest purchase around. We even get to argue with the Devs and such, they listen and act on what we find when needed. Support does not vanish after the 1st patch like so many other game companies.

Like I said though, I cannot convince you, so you have to make up your own mind.

(in reply to ColVons)
Post #: 1259
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/6/2011 4:49:19 AM   
madgamer2

I tried to say it the nice intelligent way but you just do not want to see anything but the price tag. Do not buy any 2x3 games because you have to be willing to put long hours in and really enjoy the subject and be willing to read long manuals. These are not games for casual or even intermediate level players. These are game designed for the serious player who is willing to be part of the design process by putting feed back on the forum.
Don't buy this game because if all you see are dollar signs then your wasting your money. I know because I bought WitP and just tried to jump in and play but I just did not have the dedication to learn and study and fail a few times.
Don't buy this game unless the subject matter is REALLY SOMETHING YOU WANT to spend A LOT OF TIME WITH. I have severAl of 2x3 games that are costly and play them a little but with THIS game they finally put on out that I love and am willing to pay my dues.

So like the man says they are worth every cent if its a battle you really are into. Stick with some of the other fine games in your price range and I think you will be happy. I tried to explain it in my first response but if you your inner light does not go on just reading about a particular game and you have to have it then don't buy it because for you it would be a waste of you time and money and you would end up being one of the Nay Sayers of games like 2x3 so its no shame to not want a game like this but it will be a real winner in about 6 months and I predict Game of the year this year.

Last but not least it is a Gary Grigsby game and if that does not ring a bell in your head then you REALLY don't want this game.

The problem is there is a 2x3 game out there on some subject for everyone and this is mine. I hope you find yours one day.

Madgamer2

(in reply to ColVons)
Post #: 1260
Page:   <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI