Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/2/2017 1:16:40 PM   
Nix77

I have a couple of questions about the event log and the production system. I'm noticing some weird stuff happening in the event log, would be great to get some info on how things actually work. Lets take two examples, GAZ-AAMG (produced in a factory) and 152mm Howitzer (produced directly from Armaments).

GAZ-AAMG factories are intact, so I should be producing 30 of them every turn, and I think I have been doing that since after 10 turns BUILT is 300.

OK, I think GAZ case is easy (I just figured it out while writing this): Factory production is done BEFORE replacements, so pool after production is 75, as seen in the event log Refit SegA. First segment clears the whole pool, no questions asked, 401 wanted, 75 added. It's going to take a while to get the units filled, but we're ok with that. I'm guessing because GAZ-AAMG comes straight from the factory, the "BUILT" column in the event log will always be "0" for that one?

But then, 152mm Howitzer is built from armaments directly. When does this production take place? Is it before replacements? If so, how many will be produced and why? I don't however think it is, since I see many elements being built in the replacement segments.

Lets see,
Refit SegA: 88 in the pool, 19 wanted, 0 built, 19 added, no problemo.
Refit SegB: 69 in the pool as expected, 0 built, 69 added, oops that was all we had.
Normal Replacements: 0 in the pool, 0 built, 0 added. Oh noes.

On to the questions:
How do the GAZ-AAMG pool figures correlate (36+30=76 from the production screen, however pool is 75 (-2?) in the event log)?

Why wasn't there any 152mm Howitzers built in any of the segments? Normally I see several elements being built if their pool is listed as 0 in the Normal Replacements phase. My armaments pool was 700k+ and usage around 120k, that shouldn't be a problem.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nix77 -- 2/2/2017 1:18:38 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 1501
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/2/2017 1:31:59 PM   
morvael

I think this 152mm Howitzer is out of production (check it's end date on element details screen), hence none are built. They will be slowly replaced by some other gun deemed similar enough.
Generally speaking, in case of auto-produced items some are built before replacement phase (according to initial build settings and some other routine which tries to build items it sees in great demand), and some are build directly during replacement phase, based on requests. There are also build limits per turn for some of them (especially of the heavier types like artillery), so production will be generally lower than demand.

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 1502
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/3/2017 6:15:15 AM   
Nix77

All the Soviet artillery pieces except the 107mm gun have end date in September 1945, that's why I was wondering the zero built figures. The 152mm howitzers were plentiful before, I guess that's why they haven't been produced, but now we're hitting the bottom of the pool, and I was expecting to get at least some built.

It would be useful to know at least some kind of "build capacity" for the elements built from armaments directly. Rifle squads and 122mm guns are built in huge numbers, 203mm are built a lot slowly. This kind of info could be good guide for deciding what kind of support units to build as the Soviets etc.

EDIT: seems like the 152mm Howitzer is really out of production. I tested this in a test game, the 41b Artillery Regiment uses 122mm Howitzers after the 152mm are finished, and no more 152mm will be produced. Where can I actually see and confirm that a ground element will not be produced anymore?

EDIT2: Digged in deeper, with editor. There's a hidden flag "NO AUTO-BUILD" on some elements that prevents them to be produced: 152mm Howitzer, 152mm Field Gun, 280mm Siege Mortar at least. Should these elements have their production end date be marked as pre-1941?

< Message edited by Nix77 -- 2/3/2017 8:35:57 AM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 1503
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/3/2017 8:57:43 AM   
Denniss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/152_mm_howitzer_M1938_%28M-10%29

End date is intentional, otherwise they would be flooded out of units and replaced with inferior in-production guns.

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 1504
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/3/2017 9:03:46 AM   
Nix77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/152_mm_howitzer_M1938_%28M-10%29

End date is intentional, otherwise they would be flooded out of units and replaced with inferior in-production guns.

Yes, I somehow guessed the dates were there to prevent any weird gun-shuffling in the heat of the battle :)

However, I noticed something weird. 152mm Field Gun has the NO AUTO-BUILD tag, and Auto-Build limit/percentage is 0/0%. Still I noticed there were some of them built. 152mm Howitzer and the Siege Mortars don't seem to get build even if I ramp up the demand. What's up with that?

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 1505
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/3/2017 9:13:59 AM   
morvael

I think none are built, maybe you just see returns from damaged to pool (repair in workshops).

Some heavier guns won't be built as well.

< Message edited by morvael -- 2/3/2017 9:15:01 AM >

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 1506
RE: War in the East Q&A - 2/3/2017 9:28:37 AM   
Nix77

Do repaired elements show up in Production Screen "BUILT" column? That's where the 152mm Field Gun numbers appeared too after I noticed them being built in the event log.

In the editor's "Auto-build limit" row, I'm guessing the percentage indicates approximately how many percent of the current need the production system is willing to produce that certain item?

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 1507
RE: War in the East Q&A - 3/10/2017 4:52:07 AM   
Nix77

How do aircraft "Endurance", "Durability and "Armor" affect combat? I expect armor reduces damage received, and durability increases the lifespan of the aircraft under fire, but endurance is a bit unclear to me?

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 1508
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/6/2017 4:28:02 PM   
Stelteck

Endurance is probably used to calculate max range of the aircraft. Not sûre.

I have a question too.

Did Soviet Air Bataillon convert to regiment at one point of the campaign ? I prefer to have regiments it is easier to manage, so i'am thinking of disbanding them.

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 1509
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/6/2017 5:36:35 PM   
HMSWarspite

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdfluger

Thanks for your response. But does it make sense for the game to lower the damage done to factory by the mere fact of moving it? For example, if a 99% damaged T-34 factory is moved from Kharkov to the east, it would immediately be a 50% damaged factory.

You have to remember what factory damage is. It is not the % of machines out, or the size of the hole in the roof or anything like that. The game mechanic is that it is the net effect of damage on output. IIRC 50%+ damage cuts output to zero, less than that and it is pro-rata output. A 99% damage factory is one that produces nothing and won't until it has had many turns of repair. Thus a 50% damage factory can be one with no electricity supply, or one where all the machines are a little damaged, or a few key machines are damaged... A 99% damaged factory could be largely undamaged except for a few key machines (say cranes in a tank factory - you cant exactly lift those things by hand!) When a factory is moved, they would not rebuild/recommission it in its damaged state. It will be in a new building, with working electricity, and some of the more damaged machines will be replaced. Some of the lighter damaged machines would be fixed by the mere act of disassembling/rebuilding them to move...

Not saying the current system is right but it isn't as illogical as you might think.

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to Jagdfluger)
Post #: 1510
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/6/2017 6:48:04 PM   
charlie0311

Stelteck, your air bns will auto upgrade to regts, these will later upgrade to 40 each.

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 1511
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/6/2017 8:38:36 PM   
Stelteck

quote:

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

Stelteck, your air bns will auto upgrade to regts, these will later upgrade to 40 each.

Thanks, i keep them then.

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 1512
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/16/2017 1:48:45 PM   
Stelteck

Small question :

As a soviet, one of my motorized regiment just got equiped with Pz38 (4 units). I was very interested by this event. I did not know i had the possibility to capture german equipments as soviet. (I know it is possible for german to use soviet equipment).

My question is the following :

Where to look at captured equipments ? I tried to tweak as possible the production screen but never saw any Pz38 or others german tanks in the pool.

< Message edited by Stelteck -- 6/16/2017 1:52:55 PM >

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 1513
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/16/2017 2:09:42 PM   
morvael

Click "Soviet Union" on production screen and scroll down to the bottom of the aircraft/ground element/resources/captured equipment list.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 1514
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/3/2017 11:11:15 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

What is the ususal number of partisan units in a human vs. human game in 1941, say Turn 10-14?
By turn 10 I had 3 units and in Turn 14 I have 6, which seems to be a bit low to me. Is this the standard number if the Axis guards cities well?

I have all bombers/transports set to night missions during the enemy turn, many of them on VVS airbases.
Do high % of miles flown prevent bombers from supplying partisans?

By the way: My first partisan unit spawned on the shore of the baltic sea. Recon flights show them enjoying the summer weather on the beach as there are no rail lines to blow up :(

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 7/3/2017 11:13:51 AM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 1515
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/3/2017 1:06:36 PM   
Searry

What are partisans useful for?

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 1516
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/3/2017 1:10:01 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

They can blow up rail lines, cutting off supply.

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 1517
RE: War in the East Q&A - 8/21/2017 5:11:17 PM   
Aufklaerungs

In June 41, why are population nationalities in occupied Soviet cities in Baltic States, Poland, Bukovina and Bessarabia considered Soviet? I do not believe cohesive anti-Axis partisan groups formed in these areas since the native populations were fiercely anti-Soviet. Certainly, there was an active resistance to Soviet occupation in the Baltic Republics, eastern Poland, as well as an organized nationalistic opposition in Ukraine which formed security formations not just to oppose the Soviets, but often to supplement SS Einsatzgruppen to liquidate Jews, Communists under specious charges of partisanship and supporters to same. Ukrainian nationalist groups considered the Soviet Union enemy number one throughout the war and supported the Axis until the the scorch and burn retreats to the Dneper began in Ukraine during the first months of 1943. Except for small numbers of communists, Polish resistance was a significant problem for the Soviets from Summer 44 till the end of the war (well into the early 50s). Late war forced conscripts from the Baltics, Poland, Ukraine, Bukovina and Bessarabia formed a significant threat to Soviet operational security. Time to limit partisan generating localities to within pre-war (1939) Soviet borders.

Aufklärungs

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 1518
RE: War in the East Q&A - 8/21/2017 5:22:38 PM   
RforRush

You do not believe, but there definitely were partisans in those ares. Google partizan_dvizh_v_vov.jpg (map for example).

(in reply to Aufklaerungs)
Post #: 1519
RE: War in the East Q&A - 8/21/2017 5:51:09 PM   
Aufklaerungs

I do believe, but pro-Soviet groups from these areas were smaller Red Army/GRU infiltrations and less disruptive to communications and supply than partisans in the Belarus forests, Pripyat marshes, Smolensk land bridge, and approaches to Leningrad. German Army groups north and center faced partisan problems vastly larger than Army Group South. Would have been even worse for the Soviet Union had NKVD not forcibly "resettled" such huge numbers of "politically unreliable" Polish, Rumanian and Ukrainian families in the *stans and eastern SU oblasts.

Aufklärungs

(in reply to RforRush)
Post #: 1520
RE: War in the East Q&A - 8/21/2017 6:03:41 PM   
Telemecus

To some extent this is modelled as the rules do lower the probabilities of partisan creation in places such as the Baltics. The debate might then be whether the probabilities are high or low enough.

(in reply to Aufklaerungs)
Post #: 1521
RE: War in the East Q&A - 8/24/2017 7:08:32 AM   
RforRush

As far I know you need 16 MPs to use deliberate attack with motorized units, so why I can't use it as Soviet if I have 18 MPs?

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 1522
RE: War in the East Q&A - 8/24/2017 7:28:15 AM   
Stelteck

quote:

ORIGINAL: RforRush

As far I know you need 16 MPs to use deliberate attack with motorized units, so why I can't use it as Soviet if I have 18 MPs?

Maybe you are trying to attack other a small (or large) river ? In that case you will need more than 16 MPs.

It is extremely difficult to attack with armored division early, using 16 out of 18 Mp is quite difficult.

(in reply to RforRush)
Post #: 1523
RE: War in the East Q&A - 8/24/2017 7:55:07 AM   
RforRush

Yes, there was hidden river there. Where do I find how many MPs I need to cross river attacks?

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 1524
RE: War in the East Q&A - 8/24/2017 7:58:19 AM   
Stelteck

quote:

ORIGINAL: RforRush

Yes, there was hidden river there. Where do I find how many MPs I need to cross river attacks?

In the manual 14.1.5. Tactical Movement Point Cost Chart

(in reply to RforRush)
Post #: 1525
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/13/2017 7:44:35 PM   
xxCLASHxx

Hi People,

This is my first real game after lots of reading and studying.

Start of turn 2 I have a substantial pocket of stranded Soviet units, do I leave them to suffer from lack of supply and then mop up or should I just clear them out or should I leave them and ignore for a few turns?

I have trapped 15 units in one pocket and they are without supply since end of turn 1.

This is Road to Leningrad on normal setting with fog of war.

Forum wont let me publish the picture due to my noob status :)

Thanks

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 1526
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/14/2017 2:40:22 AM   
WingedIncubus

quote:

ORIGINAL: xxCLASHxx

Hi People,

This is my first real game after lots of reading and studying.

Start of turn 2 I have a substantial pocket of stranded Soviet units, do I leave them to suffer from lack of supply and then mop up or should I just clear them out or should I leave them and ignore for a few turns?

I have trapped 15 units in one pocket and they are without supply since end of turn 1.

This is Road to Leningrad on normal setting with fog of war.

Forum wont let me publish the picture due to my noob status :)

Thanks

It takes a turn being cut from their ZOC before pocketed units enter out-of-supply status, which will make them surrender. If you attack them while they are pocketed, but NOT isolated and out-of-supply (counter with Red borders), they will rout and be teleported outside the pocket.

Were they pocketed on Turn 1? If yes, you may start mopping on this Turn 2.

If you have pocketed them on this Turn 2, leave them as they are and make sure they have no chance to escape the pocket. Them start mopping them with your Infantry on Turn 3.

< Message edited by Drakken -- 9/14/2017 2:41:57 AM >

(in reply to xxCLASHxx)
Post #: 1527
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/14/2017 7:34:34 PM   
xxCLASHxx

Hi Drakken,

Thank you fr the reply, they were pocketed in turn one and I waited til turn 3 as I had 3 infantry divisions ready to do the job. All surrendered which was around 70k men so was happy with that.

Next problem is that I moved some HQ units including OKH and now I have 4 HQ units red including OKH!!! This is turn 3 so these are not overstretched but I can't work it out.

< Message edited by xxCLASHxx -- 9/14/2017 7:35:33 PM >

(in reply to WingedIncubus)
Post #: 1528
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/14/2017 8:01:39 PM   
WingedIncubus

quote:

ORIGINAL: xxCLASHxx

Hi Drakken,

Thank you fr the reply, they were pocketed in turn one and I waited til turn 3 as I had 3 infantry divisions ready to do the job. All surrendered which was around 70k men so was happy with that.

You could have done it as soon as Turn 2.

(in reply to xxCLASHxx)
Post #: 1529
RE: War in the East Q&A - 9/14/2017 8:21:48 PM   
xxCLASHxx

Yes I will ensure next time I consolidate sooner, the red HQ's have all come back to normal without me doing anything so I must of had a glitch or made an error.

(in reply to WingedIncubus)
Post #: 1530
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI