Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/8/2009 8:37:26 AM   
johnbruning

Hi All,

New to the forum and to WITP AE. Born '68. Started wargaming as a kid with AH and SPI being my favorite goodies under the Christmas tree. That all changed when we got an Apple II in '83. Ended up an SSI junkie. First Gary Grigsby game I played was Bomb Alley. Oh, my did that make my 9th grade year go by quickly. Played everything else Gary designed, including WITSP, Carrier Force, etc. In '88 and '89, I ended up working for SSI as a playtester during the summer between college terms at the University of Oregon. Did some writing for SSI as well. Later worked for Dynamix as the company's aviation historian and designer.

Am now a full time writer of non-fiction and history. My first and abiding passion is the PTO, circa 1941-42, but haven't written on the subject since 2005 when I finished "Luck of the Draw" with Ken Ruiz and wrote "Ship Strike Pacific" for Zenith books. Been writing mainly CT stuff and GWOT-related books ever since. It is great to join a community of very passionate individuals who help keep history alive, and I look forward to getting to know y'all in the weeks to come.

John R Bruning
http://973cob.org/
http://theunawriterslair.typepad.com/

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 151
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/23/2009 4:50:00 PM   
DBF

New to the forum but have found some useful info already. I am an ex-submariner (both Diesel and Nuc) and navy diver. Geologist now. Got to say, they did a great job on WITP-AE. Always interested in WWII in Pacific, father fought in Pacific (WIA twice) and I sent a lot of time there in the Navy.

"hell with the women and children, go for the tonnage" TM1/SS

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 152
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/23/2009 5:41:59 PM   
xj900uk

For me, born '62 and grew up on Avalon Hill and SPI board wargames in the 70s'.  My first ever board wargame was Sinai in c. '74 and the sentimental part of me still misses them.
Served in the RAF 1980-84, trained as aircrew (Navigator on Buccaneers) although spent most of my time either training ((80-83) then based in the US and Germany (83-84).  Demobbed at end of '84 when squadron disbanded because of a financial cut and too tall (!) to transfer to Tornado's.  On reserve 85-92.
Used to have PPL qualifying me for single & twin seat propellor planes + light jets but now have given it up due to failing eyesight and poor health, although still get invited up occasionally to navigate or co-pilot.  Member of Old Flying Machine Company up in Duxford UK restoring vintage (mainly WWII) aircraft to flying condition (used to get chance to try them out or ground test!) and also Vulcan Preservation Society.
Have flown and logged quite a few hours in many WWII combat aircraft, particularly from Pacific Theatre (F4F, F6F, F4U, F8, Me109 both German & Spanish, B25, B26, A20, P39, P40, Spitfire, Firefly, TBF and probably my favourite of all the Val) and also managed to sit in the cockpits of a couple of the Japanese fighters (Zero, Oscar) whilst in the US

(in reply to DBF)
Post #: 153
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/23/2009 7:02:09 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Me

born 1964 wargamer since I do not know when but love peace and tranquility as well

Do a lot of riding and represented GB Internationally at skill at arms ( mounted games on horseback with real weapons ) , I also do a lot of Dressage but have also evented and been in films as an extra ( nothing big )

No children but ( my wife and I ) 5 horses, 2 lurchers, 2 cats, tropical fish tank and 6 chickens

Currently writing a erotic ( and dark) fantasy novel between AE turns

Also like Red wine , Rock music and cooking

Attachment (1)

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 154
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/24/2009 2:17:02 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain....oh...wait...erm..sorry, wrong forum.

I have been playing wargames for a long time since I found a copy of Afrika Korps at Gemco. I will start playing AE when I figure out what an AKL is.

I recently subjected myself to the Viking longboat ceremony and am currently trying to wrest back a couple of minutes every day to stare at little ship icons on my computer.

I used to do a fair amount of fly fishing, and watercolors and gardening and card counting at blackjack but I dont really do that any more. Now, when walking my dog I will sometimes find myself blurting out things like "PARAMISHIRO JIMA!" on the horse trail. It has become like a nervous tic. I can't help it.

My sign in is from Dr Strangelove. As I recall, I tried "Buck Turgidson" but some cretin had already taken it.

(in reply to johnbruning)
Post #: 155
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/24/2009 12:43:36 PM   
String

I'm one of the guys from the younger generations here it seems. Born in 1984, in Estonia, Tallinn. Been living here my whole life. I still remember those soviet mig-23's buzzing our summer home when they were doing exercises, even though I was just a small kid at the time.

I did my compulsory service in 2003, in an SP platoon at the guards battalion (lots of ceremonies and fancy marching). After that I worked for a year, studied architecture for five years (with no end in sight) and finally in 2009, decided to enter the Estonian National Defence College, our military academy. The facility that produces those 2nd Ltn's everybody seems to love .

As for wargames, my first brush with them was somewhere in late 90's when I played a few games of Panzer General at my friends place. I first found these forums by playing SPW@W, and later became a regular after reading a short WITP AAR at the paradox forums. Since then I've written several WITP AAR's over there myself and getting a lot of interested followers (and a few buyers too I hope). As a gaming personality I tend to be quite agressive, sometimes to a fault, as I've lost quite a few PBEM opponents that way .

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 156
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/24/2009 5:32:58 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

I'm one of the guys from the younger generations here it seems. Born in 1984,

Uggh. I've got TIES older than that.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 157
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/24/2009 5:51:39 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

I'm one of the guys from the younger generations here it seems. Born in 1984,

Uggh. I've got TIES older than that.

I'm sure you do, gramps

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 158
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/24/2009 8:34:38 PM   
stldiver

I was born in 1961.

My first wargame was Panzer Blitz, have never stopped, Did the tour with minitures, both D&D and military, but when computers came along never looked backed. Found Witp several years ago and the passion came back. Definatly enjoy the upgrade into AE.

Surprisingly have wife and 5 kids (youngest is senior) all 5 still at home but soon, hopefully, praying hard will be down to 3.

They put up with me going downstairs and staring at the computer for hours, in past the wife got very tired of it, but in the last few months since I restarted with AE it doesn't seem to bother her??? Wonder if she has a boyfriend, Opps nevermind I think a turns coming .........

(in reply to String)
Post #: 159
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/25/2009 2:07:31 AM   
TOMLABEL

Welcome to all of you new guys and lurkers!!!!

It's always fasinating to me to get the input from new guys as sometimes some of us who have been here a bit become color blind!

I used to be a 'lurker' as well, but finally made my first post 1/27/2006 several months after I bit the bullet and bought WITP. I bought WITP after reading the AARs and knew this was the game for me after searching for a game like this for a long time. I too, stumbled upon this game by accident as well. I could go into the board games I have played in the past, but I've posted that somewhere many times before. The guys I've met and the friendships I've made since then have been second to none!

It's very encouraging to see new folks posting to this forum as it tells me there will always be new interest, opinions and ideas to discuss/contimplate and argue over!!

Welcome to all you guys!!!!!

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 12/25/2009 2:08:08 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to stldiver)
Post #: 160
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/28/2009 2:06:25 PM   
gladiatt

TOMLABEL, you're new avatar is somehow....disturbing .

(so sorry there is no smiley of Tex Avery's wolfe with falling tongue ).

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 161
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/28/2009 7:54:45 PM   
ChickenOfTheSea

I'm one of the geezers around here, born in 1949. Both of my parents were involved in the Pacific War. My father was an ROTC trained army logistics officer that participated in both the 44 campagn in New Guinea and the 45 campaign in Luzon and spent his +1 year in Manila. My mother worked at the Pentagon in Army Intelligence-Economics Branch where her main duties involved tracking Japanese merchant shipping in Chinese ports. Her comment on this was that it was very confusing keeping track of all those Maru's. She spent her +1 year tracking troop movements in the Chinese Civil War.

My name was given to me by a friend in childhood in response to my claim to be "The Tiger of the Pacific".

My brother and I played all the way through Gary Grigsby's Guadalcanal Campaign (both ways) when hot seat was all that was available for 2 player games. How many of you remember that one (my version was for the Apple II? It was the great-great grand-daddy of what we are playing now

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 162
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/28/2009 8:50:04 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickenOfTheSea

I'm one of the geezers around here, born in 1949. Both of my parents were involved in the Pacific War. My father was an ROTC trained army logistics officer that participated in both the 44 campagn in New Guinea and the 45 campaign in Luzon and spent his +1 year in Manila. My mother worked at the Pentagon in Army Intelligence-Economics Branch where her main duties involved tracking Japanese merchant shipping in Chinese ports. Her comment on this was that it was very confusing keeping track of all those Maru's. She spent her +1 year tracking troop movements in the Chinese Civil War.

My name was given to me by a friend in childhood in response to my claim to be "The Tiger of the Pacific".

My brother and I played all the way through Gary Grigsby's Guadalcanal Campaign (both ways) when hot seat was all that was available for 2 player games. How many of you remember that one (my version was for the Apple II? It was the great-great grand-daddy of what we are playing now

May I just say how much I appreciate your fine avatar?

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 163
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/28/2009 11:21:21 PM   
ChickenOfTheSea

Perhaps we are related, Chickenboy!

With regard to your signature picture, my father said that his unit at Finschhafen suffered about 50% casualties due to disease. He asked me to look up whatever became of Finschhafen and apparently the area was abandoned after the war due to problems with malaria and other tropical diseases.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 164
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/29/2009 4:50:54 AM   
Laxplayer

Born in 1973 outside Washington, DC. My father was a Battalion commander for some combat engineers in Vietnam, stationed in Pleiku. He had a ton of old Avalon Hill games like Eastern Front, Squad Leader, (and at least a dozen more) and he didn't let me touch them until I was like 11. Then I read the rule book cover to cover in one of them (I forget which) and tried to play a small scenario with him. He crushed me mercilessly. But with time and a ton of therapy, I've been able to recover and now play these games on the computer. Seriously, I've tried to get him into UV, WITP and now WITP-AE but he doesn't really have an interest... "too big, too much stuff" for him. I've been playing since I found UV during a google search like 10 years ago. Bought both WITP and AE when they came out. I'm doing my first AAR right now, but I don't think anyone but myself and ny59giants reads it! I have a wife of 4 years and a 2 year old son. I am currently unemployed, but I worked as an analyst, a HS teacher, a football and lacrosse coach, and in real estate.

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 165
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/29/2009 2:54:51 PM   
John Lansford

Born in 1960, grew up in TN.  First wargame was AH's Panzer Leader, which my dad and I played over and over again while we were on vacation down in Florida one year.  Went to college at Cookeville TN and got a civil engineering degree there, married my wife a week before I graduated and moved to NC, where we've been since 1984.  No children, just two cats and a pile of both board and electronic wargames, plus a 400+ book history library covering everything from the Civil War to WWII.  The first book I ever bought was a Ballentine book on Pearl Harbor, which I still have.

(in reply to Laxplayer)
Post #: 166
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 12/30/2009 2:48:20 PM   
bigred

I did have red hair(now brownish red), and I am a big guy, so bigred was easy. I was born in '59 and grew up in Selma, Alabama(yes I was there in 65). Family moved to Birmingham when I was 13 and a friend showed me Africa Korps.
So I wanted to become an army officer and joined ROTC in 1979. All the other cadets wanted to be airborne rangers but I coveted the mechanized infantry. I remembered the German 8-8 mech inf Divisions from SPI War in the East and did not want to be in those 6-5 leg divisions. Something about the firepower and moving 16 hexes in one turn convinced me leg units were not an option. From 81-85 I spent 4 years in the US army Mech infantry. I finished as a Live fire instructor/controller at Ft. Irwin. Fireworks every night.

Today work w/ my family grocery business as a store manager. Wife at home and son in college.

Avatar is a quick grab as I only started participating in the forum about 2 years ago. So I am looking for a more fiting avatar as time goes by.
I really like UV for the simplicity. I had been playing UV AI for 7 years. Started internet play 2 years ago. Sad to say the UV forum is dieing. Most players are moving on to AE. I am proud of my UV forum AAR w/ IKE99. Most hits. It was a hell of a fight to the finish. Currently studing AE rules and looking for an aggressive opponent.

< Message edited by bigred -- 2/13/2011 12:38:47 AM >

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 167
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/1/2010 9:15:11 PM   
traskott

Hello. My name is manuel. Born in '79. My nick comes from the spanish sound of the word "truscott", from Patton movie. WW2 fan since I was 6 years old. I've played wargames since I bought my first PC. Previously I had played Nam, Battle of Brittan on single and now I have the WiF Deluxe, and looking any crazy friend to try it. Ocassionally player of WitP since 2006, and PBEM since 2008. Now "fighting" with the AE.

IRL I'm a layer. I've a dregree on law, and another on history. I live in Valladolid, Spain

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 168
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/2/2010 11:58:35 PM   
nashvillen

nashvillen comes from my other hobby, N Scale model railroading. I am the leader of a Ntrak group in the Nashville TN area and have used this name for me in numerous places.

Born in 1964 like a lot of you. Found wargames with War At Sea in 1977 and quickly found Victory in the Pacific. Devoured Morrison's Two Ocean War as a 7th grader and was stuck in the Pacific Theater ever since.  I know several members of this board and have gamed with them for more than 25 years in some cases.

Spent 2 weeks in the army until they decided that my right knee was too bad for them to keep me. Retired as a Deputy Chief of a fire department and was an EMT.  Currently am a GIS analyst for public safety, so I keep my foot in the emergency service pool. I have a great wife that puts up with my "train friends" and "game friends". My son, age 9, is an avid gamer and loves Federation Commander by ADB. My daughter, age 11, is less than a year from her black belt in Taekwondo.

I am currently playing one campain of Victory Games Pacific War with a great gentleman from Scotland via email and a campain of WITPAE with a great guy from the Tampa area.  I am also the official Q&A guy for Amarillo Design Bureau's Federation and Empire and am a Klingon at heart. I have been known to dress as an original series Klingon LtCdr at Origins.

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 169
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/10/2010 11:34:20 PM   
SpeakerToSeafood

Hello. utter newby. 46 yrs old and work for JPL in Pasedena CA. Not a wargamer like you people, but like the genre. Lurked for ages but bought the game on recommendation from friends. SpeakerToSeafood is a nickname I got one night after too many beers, with too many crazy aeronautics people, at a Pax River party at this awesome seafood place in Cambridge, MD. I liked it so I kept it. It's a tribute to a sci-fi author that I respect a lot.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 170
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/10/2010 11:54:21 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpeakerToSeafood

Hello. utter newby. 46 yrs old and work for JPL in Pasedena CA. Not a wargamer like you people, but like the genre. Lurked for ages but bought the game on recommendation from friends. SpeakerToSeafood is a nickname I got one night after too many beers, with too many crazy aeronautics people, at a Pax River party at this awesome seafood place in Cambridge, MD. I liked it so I kept it. It's a tribute to a sci-fi author that I respect a lot.

Do you know Larry? I write for Jerry P's blog.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to SpeakerToSeafood)
Post #: 171
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/11/2010 12:10:54 AM   
SpeakerToSeafood

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin
Do you know Larry? I write for Jerry P's blog.

Yes. I know Mr. Niven very well on a professional basis. And Mr. Pournelle too. In fact, it was one of Mr. Niven's Washington admirers that gave me the nickname. She got it from from one of his books and I felt honored.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 172
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/11/2010 12:11:59 AM   
witpqs

I think I'm going to change my name to SpeakerToHarry.

Post #: 173
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/11/2010 1:55:57 AM   
JWE

quote:

Yes. I know Mr. Niven very well on a professional basis. And Mr. Pournelle too. In fact, it was one of Mr. Niven's Washington admirers that gave me the nickname. She got it from from one of his books and I felt honored.

Hello Speaker, I think I know you. Dartmouth, then Harvard, then Stanford for your first PhD, but you bailed for a year to go to Kitts with Pribram and Goerge Ruff.

I was that Govt puke at the dinner at Ruth's Chris in Crystal City, with Jack and Gen. Rankin. Oh my sweet Jesus, I know it's you. Shoot me a private emial, and I'll send you one back.

Very sure pm messages are private, but if you are unsure, try my personal email at jw.eldredge@cox.net I think the name will spark some recognition.

< Message edited by JWE -- 1/11/2010 2:03:32 AM >

Post #: 174
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/11/2010 2:38:17 AM   
SpeakerToSeafood

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE
quote:

Hello Speaker, I think I know you. Dartmouth, then Harvard, then Stanford for your first PhD, but you bailed for a year to go to Kitts with Pribram and Goerge Ruff.

I was that Govt puke at the dinner at Ruth's Chris in Crystal City, with Jack and Gen. Rankin. Oh my sweet Jesus, I know it's you. Shoot me a private emial, and I'll send you one back.

Very sure pm messages are private, but if you are unsure, try my personal email at jw.eldredge@cox.net I think the name will spark some recognition.

I don't send anything to anybody. No matter who they say they are. If you are who you you say you are, just answer this. What was Pavel Dimitrovich's first wife's name.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 175
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/11/2010 3:05:23 AM   
SpeakerToSeafood

Right. Will send you an email on your personal account.

Post #: 176
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/11/2010 3:52:08 AM   
Dora09

I was born in 1977 in California. I live in Maryland now and work at the NIH as a postdoctoral fellow in immunology.

I love biology, but have been an aviation and WWII nut since I was 8 years old. My name is in reference to the Fw190D which of course has nothing to do with the war in the pacific. I love Japanese aviation (particular Nakajima fighters) and have always loved the artistic quality that many of the Japanese designers put into their aircraft. Many Japanese planes (and ships...Yamato, Takao, Akizuki, etc.) are simply breathtaking I've always liked war games and before this played a lot of the early Close Combat games. I can't help but playing for the side that can't possibly win! Nothing is as good as WitP (esp. AE) IMO and have been playing PBEM with KyberBill for I think it is two years now and has been the most fun I've had playing a computer game ever.

Post #: 177
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 1/11/2010 1:13:58 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

nashvillen comes from my other hobby, N Scale model railroading. I am the leader of a Ntrak group in the Nashville TN area and have used this name for me in numerous places.

Born in 1964 like a lot of you. Found wargames with War At Sea in 1977 and quickly found Victory in the Pacific. Devoured Morrison's Two Ocean War as a 7th grader and was stuck in the Pacific Theater ever since.  I know several members of this board and have gamed with them for more than 25 years in some cases.

Spent 2 weeks in the army until they decided that my right knee was too bad for them to keep me. Retired as a Deputy Chief of a fire department and was an EMT.  Currently am a GIS analyst for public safety, so I keep my foot in the emergency service pool. I have a great wife that puts up with my "train friends" and "game friends". My son, age 9, is an avid gamer and loves Federation Commander by ADB. My daughter, age 11, is less than a year from her black belt in Taekwondo.

I am currently playing one campain of Victory Games Pacific War with a great gentleman from Scotland via email and a campain of WITPAE with a great guy from the Tampa area.  I am also the official Q&A guy for Amarillo Design Bureau's Federation and Empire and am a Klingon at heart. I have been known to dress as an original series Klingon LtCdr at Origins.

Nash, I was a member of the North Raleigh MRC for several years, until I remarried. What a bunch of fun! Once my son is older, or no longer plays travel hockey, I intend to become active again.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 178
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 3/17/2010 4:36:59 PM   
Grollub

Bump for all those people who forget which threads they have started ...

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 179
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 3/17/2010 5:00:09 PM   
Chickenboy

Oh man. Steve, c'mon-you're killing me...

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI