Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: looking for a gift idea for a 14 year old

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: looking for a gift idea for a 14 year old Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: looking for a gift idea for a 14 year old - 9/9/2009 6:53:47 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Basing this on my own experience as a young lad wanting to learn more about WWII, I would recommend getting him the WaW DVD set. Each episode is about 50 mins long(except the first), so this should fall under the "acceptable" category his mom has decreed.

Or, he could do as I did back in the late 19070's: get up late at night after the parents went to sleep and watch the series with the volume on very low.

Just don't get caught.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 31
RE: looking for a gift idea for a 14 year old - 9/9/2009 7:31:15 PM   
Larac

I fear for kids that are held so hard it hurts them, many are so overwhelmed when they get away from home, they screw up in huge ways.

What ever you get him include a note to call you if he needs someone to talk to.

That might be the best you can do for him, in the long run.

GL

Lee

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 32
RE: looking for a gift idea for a 14 year old - 9/12/2009 9:19:41 PM   
junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackx

He's only 14... so I'd say no to any war movie recommendations. They're either too gory, or glorifying war, or a mixture of both (or white-washing the Wehrmacht, but I guess you're clear of that danger, being in the US...).
Probably shouldn't be alone watching some of the documentaries, either, better if he can talk to someone about it, and if he's really curious about/interested in WW2, he'll have a truckload of questions...

The WaW dvds seem a good choice, and you could probably use them as a starting point for a responsible/educational media use debate... probably better to get the parents on board, than to circumvent them via the portable DVD player...

I guess it just comes down to using your judgement as to what the kid can, and cannot handle.

Wife and I are watching a video series on You Tube, Vietnam War The Impact of Media. Seeing the old TV news footage and noting the dates, I remembered that I turned 14 in 1967. That year, in Junior high, my history teacher was a young black man with a nice Afro, who had survived his TOD in Vietnam. I don't recall him being biased but we talked about the news of the day daily including the war. We watched the 6 o'clock news with our parents. I sweated over the draft for the next 5 years.

I think most kids can handle a lot.

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 33
RE: looking for a gift idea for a 14 year old - 9/12/2009 9:52:28 PM   
jackx

Yeah, I suppose so. At least I'd like to think that the wars in former Yugoslavia and Chechnya haven't had any negative long-term effects on me.
Of course, parents/other adults being there to talk to and to monitor the situation helps a lot.

I think I was overreacting a bit because of all the WW2 stuff my younger brother watches/reads atm, and the quite heavy bias of alot of it, more so than the graphic/gruesome nature of some of it.

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 34
RE: looking for a gift idea for a 14 year old - 9/13/2009 7:58:56 PM   
Doggie

Girls Gone Wild wouild make you the kewlest Dad ever.

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 35
RE: looking for a gift idea for a 14 year old - 9/13/2009 10:30:18 PM   
Jeffrey H.

heh...for a 14 year old boy it would....

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: looking for a gift idea for a 14 year old Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI