Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/1/2009 2:47:15 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

How about another request. On the Leaders tab, for status could you have an Unassigned & Active selection? I would like to sort leaders that are not assigned any job that are currently available.

Gotcha. Should be easy to add.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 331
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/1/2009 8:52:24 AM   
Moss Orleni

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

There is absolutely no argument from me on this point, in essence we are choosing and placing the relevant data into a HSQLDB database. Some of the data you are looking for ie. TF position (only your side) - is not in a CSV file yet, but will be if we do a TF history or if you want you can access it by using an OpenOffice connection to our DB. As is the same with witpStaff.

I suppose you are concerned that the info in the save game file can be (mis)used to cheat in a PBEM game. Didn't look at it that way yet, and I absolutely agree that it should be avoided at all cost.
But apart from the cheaters, there's another category of players (like me) known under names such as 'number freaks', 'math geeks', or simply 'nerds' , that feel a desire to play with numbers, data and statistics. They love what they already get in your tool, but they are greedy , and desperate .

quote:

Apart from TF information, what information are you really searching for ? We are starting to expand into the AE datafields and essentially when done you will have relevant and known information via our tool, either through CSV or DB connections. But on no account will a data dump of it all be considered, ever, period...

--Damian--

That's understood!
I wasn't thinking in terms of just 'getting it all out ' though. The information I'm hoping to use is basically the save file equivalent of the 8 csv exports generated from the scenario files by witploadAE (i.e. aircraft, air groups, ships, ship classes, locations, devices, leaders, pilots). Of those, I believe aircraft & ship classes contain only static data, so no need to have them again. The data present in the other tables is mostly related to position, destination, target, stance, commander, ... in short everything that changes dynamically during a game. That info would be of great use to create fi custom allocation/path optimizers, to name one thing.
So I still hope something like that can be made available. But yes, by all means, please protect and restrict the output! (looking at how PBEM games are already protected in Tracker, it seems pretty straightforward to restrict the output query by conditioning the side/nationality columns).

Regards,
Moss

BTW: regardless of what comes out, I appreciate your readiness to listen to player suggestions/questions. It's impressive to see that the excellent after-service is present not only in the main game, but also in its tools. So, thumbs up and keep up the great work!

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 332
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/1/2009 9:17:16 AM   
n01487477

quote:

I wasn't thinking in terms of just 'getting it all out ' though. The information I'm hoping to use is basically the save file equivalent of the 8 csv exports generated from the scenario files by witploadAE (i.e. aircraft, air groups, ships, ship classes, locations, devices, leaders, pilots). Of those, I believe aircraft & ship classes contain only static data, so no need to have them again. The data present in the other tables is mostly related to position, destination, target, stance, commander, ... in short everything that changes dynamically during a game. That info would be of great use to create fi custom allocation/path optimizers, to name one thing.
So I still hope something like that can be made available. But yes, by all means, please protect and restrict the output! (looking at how PBEM games are already protected in Tracker, it seems pretty straightforward to restrict the output query by conditioning the side/nationality columns).

No problems Moss, while we haven't implemented all the data into CSV's, I think what you really should do is look into the OpenOffice HSQLDB database connection ... you will find a lot of the dynamic data you speak about contained within. Although the delta information might be hard to decipher, I can give you some heads-up about that if you need ... & I don't believe Access has the ability to do this

Furthermore, we never read in any data to the DB from the opposing side, so the data is safe and no queries are required to filter this.

Lastly, there are still "quite a few" data points we haven't read yet, but they will come online as this program develops and expands. Our aim is not to give you data you can't get, but to provide an interface which enhances AE and provides a slightly better way of displaying that information and tracking that information than is possible in-game ... although AE is a vast improvement over WITP.

Rome wasn't built in day .. and all that...

The new build of Tracker will be available pretty soon, hopefully this weekend ... not to get ppls hopes up too much but we are still concentrating on fixing bugs, which Floyd has done a lot of work to achieve. Still there are some new additions, but you'll have to wait and see, there is a lot to do and I'm working on a fix to the ship sunk Vp's right now which has changed from witp.

Cheers and thanks for the kind words...

(in reply to Moss Orleni)
Post #: 333
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/1/2009 12:53:43 PM   
Moss Orleni

quote:

No problems Moss, while we haven't implemented all the data into CSV's, I think what you really should do is look into the OpenOffice HSQLDB database connection ... you will find a lot of the dynamic data you speak about contained within. Although the delta information might be hard to decipher, I can give you some heads-up about that if you need ... & I don't believe Access has the ability to do this

I went to check your open office installation tutorial, but while installing I get the error: "The Driver Class 'org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver' could not be loaded." Any idea where I can find it or what I need to do?
Looking at the tutorial screenshots, it seems that I'll be able to find very useful info in there...

Found back some posts from Marc (our provider of excellent maps) as well, in which he requested the same thing (csv output of dynamic data) back in July... It seems that Access does not have the ability to connect to your hsqldb, does it? If not, I could easily live with having to export first from openoffice and then import in Access (with the same purpose as Marc: VBA functionality).

quote:

Furthermore, we never read in any data to the DB from the opposing side, so the data is safe and no queries are required to filter this.

OK, one problem less!

quote:

Lastly, there are still "quite a few" data points we haven't read yet, but they will come online as this program develops and expands. Our aim is not to give you data you can't get, but to provide an interface which enhances AE and provides a slightly better way of displaying that information and tracking that information than is possible in-game ... although AE is a vast improvement over WITP.

Which is greatly appreciated! It would be great, in addition to the tool's functionalities, to have that data available as well to use for custom formulas, optimizers, graphs etc.

quote:

Rome wasn't built in day .. and all that...

The new build of Tracker will be available pretty soon, hopefully this weekend ... not to get ppls hopes up too much but we are still concentrating on fixing bugs, which Floyd has done a lot of work to achieve. Still there are some new additions, but you'll have to wait and see, there is a lot to do and I'm working on a fix to the ship sunk Vp's right now which has changed from witp.

Cheers and thanks for the kind words...

Looking forward to the next build!
Cheers,
Moss

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 334
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/2/2009 11:49:56 AM   
n01487477

quote:

I went to check your open office installation tutorial, but while installing I get the error: "The Driver Class 'org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver' could not be loaded." Any idea where I can find it or what I need to do?

Sounds like you haven't followed step one, loading the classPath (hsqldb.jar), which we provide in the Tracker/lib folder
quote:

Which is greatly appreciated! It would be great, in addition to the tool's functionalities, to have that data available as well to use for custom formulas, optimizers, graphs etc.
And we will certainly take your suggestions and possibly include them in Tracker, if you outline what you'd like to see.

Just finished looking at ship VP's which is not 100% accurate even still ... and will need a bit more time to work out completely.
--Damian--

Post #: 335
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/2/2009 12:17:17 PM   
Moss Orleni

I went through all steps yesterday...
but tried a second time today and succeeded (I guess it was a typo somewhere)!

Looking at the data right now, but will take some time to decypher. Especially, as you mentioned, the delta values. Are the item explanations of the delta tables included somewhere in the DB?

I will try to summarize the data that would be interesting to have (I suspect I won't be too much in the end).

Thanks,

Moss

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 336
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/2/2009 11:25:14 PM   
jhdeerslayer

I'm enjoying this tool guys and thanks for doing it but confused about something. After I set up with the batch file everything is fine. But when I tell it to Read in a new turn later on, it just jumps out of the tool to my Desktop and does nothing. What am I missing?

Post #: 337
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/2/2009 11:33:04 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

I'm enjoying this tool guys and thanks for doing it but confused about something. After I set up with the batch file everything is fine. But when I tell it to Read in a new turn later on, it just jumps out of the tool to my Desktop and does nothing. What am I missing?

It's gotta be a JVM memory issue. Are you sure you started from the witptracker.bat file?

Floyd

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 338
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 12:35:56 AM   
jhdeerslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

quote:

It's gotta be a JVM memory issue. Are you sure you started from the witptracker.bat file?

Floyd

I ran the batch when I first installed. Do I have to run the batch ever time I want to run Tracker? When I run the batch first time the turn is there and all the data. But later turns that I try to "read" in do nothing.

< Message edited by Deerslayer -- 10/3/2009 12:39:31 AM >

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 339
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 12:37:20 AM   
pad152

Japanese Base (1404) Utsonomiya is showing up as in the Soviet Union when looking at aircraft production, it's on the main island of Honshu.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pad152 -- 10/3/2009 12:39:15 AM >

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 340
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 12:41:58 AM   
floydg

quote:

quote:

quote:

Floyd

I ran the batch when I first installed. Do I have to run the batch ever time I want to run Tracker? When I run the batch first time the turn is there and all the data. But later turns that I try to "read" in do nothing.

You need to run the batch each time or ensure that the JVM has the needed memory allocation.
If you run from the witptracker.jar directly, you won't get the proper memory settings.

Post #: 341
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 12:43:40 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Japanese Base (1404) Utsonomiya is showing up as in the Soviet Union when looking at aircraft production, it's on the main island of Honshu.

Update your regions. See the Regions page on the WitPTracker website for instructions.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 342
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 12:45:29 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moss Orleni

I went through all steps yesterday...
but tried a second time today and succeeded (I guess it was a typo somewhere)!

Looking at the data right now, but will take some time to decypher. Especially, as you mentioned, the delta values. Are the item explanations of the delta tables included somewhere in the DB?

I will try to summarize the data that would be interesting to have (I suspect I won't be too much in the end).

Thanks,

Moss

The deltas are all in the code and not defined externally anywhere.

All of the data in the database is displayed in WitPTracker one way or another. There is no hidden data in there...

Post #: 343
WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 2:19:25 AM   
floydg

Folks, the latest release of WitPTracker AE is now available.

New Features:
  • Minefield panel shows count of ACM
  • Export to CSV for Task Forces
  • Display of pilot training pool
  • Additional items related to ship classes added and displayed in Ship Class panel
  • Filters added to Ship Class panel
  • Ship Class upgrade delay, damage and yard size shown in Ship Upgrade panel
  • Task force detection levels shown in Task Force panel and alerts added related
  • Leader panel filter for unassigned/active added

Bugs Fixed:
  • Sorting and filtering in Ship panel fixed
  • "Custom" TOE's show up strange in formation after reading in a new turn
  • LCU and Formation device usage when the TOE repeats devices (this was a tricky one)
  • Aircraft for multiple nations in Aircraft Comparison, Air Group and Air Production panels (first two show the nation in <braces> in the filter choices)
  • LCU replacement flag was not properly read
  • Ordering of turns when using the multi-turn read function
  • Minefield delta was off
  • Sunk ships that had a "base near" that was not valid
  • LCU objects with a device ID greater than 1300 now read in
  • LCU arrival base fixed
  • Air loss filter by side in Victory Points panel
  • Sorting by date in Sunk Ships in VP panel and Ship Class panel
  • Victory points for ships (approximate, but very close, algorithm used)

The distribution can be found on this page.

One important note: the database had a bunch of changes needed, so the expedient thing was to require you to restart with a fresh database. Therefore, you need to delete your current database (trackerdb files) and start from scratch.
    For future releases, we'll try to incorporate a database upgrade function like we had for "classic" WitPTracker, but I think we just wanted to get this out...

We hope you enjoy it. As always suggestions, comments and bug reports welcome.

Damian and Floyd

(in reply to floydg)
  • Post #: 344
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 2:38:23 AM   
    n01487477

Hey Floyd,
    sure you built the right thing ? Looks like 1.01 to me ???

--Damian--

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 345
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 2:48:58 AM   
    floydg

quote:

Hey Floyd,
    sure you built the right thing ? Looks like 1.01 to me ???

--Damian--

Sorry, I picked up the wrong file. Try it now.

Early adopters of things always get shafted one way or another...

< Message edited by floydg -- 10/3/2009 3:01:04 AM >

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 346
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 3:20:25 AM   
    Nomad

Much better Floyd. Thanks guys.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 347
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 3:27:38 AM   
    n01487477

Just a quick note so you know what is happening with the Detection Increase alert, we made it so that the alert is triggered when the Maximum detection >= 6 and that, that turn the detection lvl > 3.

If you think this needs to be adjusted for the next build let us know ... also I'll make sure that a TF history is included for next build so you can see movement and detection levels.(and possibly a filter which will look at this change).

AirGroups and Pilots - (apart from the filters wrapping to the next line), Floyd has kindly changed the drop down so that all the variants of Allied planes are available ... this was needed so the UpgradeTo special filter works for the Allies now. Pilot training pool looks good.

Anyway, hopefully next build we can get away from the tedium of bug fixes and give you guys some more new features.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 348
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 4:17:51 AM   
    Nomad

In Airgroups and Pilots, the HQ selection filter is missing a number of HQs.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 349
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 4:22:05 AM   
    n01487477

quote:

In Airgroups and Pilots, the HQ selection filter is missing a number of HQs.

Yeah, the sub HQ's need to be linked to the Parent HQ, eg. 12th Air Fleet -> 5th Air ... sorry we'll do that next time

--Damian--

(in reply to Nomad)
    Post #: 350
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 4:31:09 AM   
    Nomad

Not a problem, just making sure you know and it is on the fixit list.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 351
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 12:13:07 PM   
    jhdeerslayer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Floyd

You need to run the batch each time or ensure that the JVM has the needed memory allocation.
    If you run from the witptracker.jar directly, you won't get the proper memory settings.

OK gotcha as running the .jar was what I was doing. So what is the purpose of Reading in Turns (or multiple ones) if you have to run the Bat? I checked the Java Control Panel but didn't find any memory options. Sorry to be a pest but curious about all this.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 352
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 12:37:59 PM   
    floydg

The .bat script only starts the program.

The program detects if there is a database or not. If not, it creates a new one. But once one is created, it won't be created again.

Once the program is running, you can load new turns, check histories of the loaded turns, etc.

Post #: 353
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 12:48:52 PM   
    floydg

quote:

Fixed (for next release).

I populated the drop-down based on which HQ had Air groups assigned. This way the list doesn't contain loads of HQ with no groups. Sound good?

(in reply to Nomad)
    Post #: 354
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/3/2009 1:05:46 PM   
    Nomad

quote:

quote:

Fixed (for next release).

I populated the drop-down based on which HQ had Air groups assigned. This way the list doesn't contain loads of HQ with no groups. Sound good?

Perfect.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 355
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 5:08:30 PM   
    Bullwinkle58

I'm not to the point I can ask all these cool questions about Java and such. I'm still stuck on the install directions.

I have a post-patch, AI game. I set the switches on December 10, 1941 to auto-save every day. I'm now in mid-March 1942, so I have a big Autosave sub-folder of saves. I manually save in slot six.

So, when I edit WITPtracker.properties, do I point it at slot six, or do I point it at the first autosave? If slot six, does the manual save "get bigger" each time it saves so it has the day-by-day history, or is it a snap-shot of March 15th only? If I do the AUtosave pointer, does the program "step-through" the sequentially-named autosaves to generate the day-by-day history? (Like WITPStaff does.)

This may be apparent once the program is fired up, but I never used WITPTracker the first time. Just a suggestion, but uyou might want to edit the Set-Up instrucitons to cover the Autosave switches.

I'll put this aside for now unitl I get an answer. From what I see, this looks like a great tool, and believe me, I need the help.

The Moose

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 356
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 6:07:05 PM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I'm not to the point I can ask all these cool questions about Java and such. I'm still stuck on the install directions.

I have a post-patch, AI game. I set the switches on December 10, 1941 to auto-save every day. I'm now in mid-March 1942, so I have a big Autosave sub-folder of saves. I manually save in slot six.

So, when I edit WITPtracker.properties, do I point it at slot six, or do I point it at the first autosave? If slot six, does the manual save "get bigger" each time it saves so it has the day-by-day history, or is it a snap-shot of March 15th only? If I do the AUtosave pointer, does the program "step-through" the sequentially-named autosaves to generate the day-by-day history? (Like WITPStaff does.)

This may be apparent once the program is fired up, but I never used WITPTracker the first time. Just a suggestion, but uyou might want to edit the Set-Up instrucitons to cover the Autosave switches.

I'll put this aside for now unitl I get an answer. From what I see, this looks like a great tool, and believe me, I need the help.

Right now, the autosave aspect isn't dealt with. So you'll need to set a specific file name in the witptracker.properties, such as wpae003.pws, and then you'll need to rename the saves to something like that name each time you want to read a turn (e.g., wpae003.pws.123, wpae003.123.pws, etc).

Hope that helps.

Floyd

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
    Post #: 357
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 6:38:50 PM   
    Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Right now, the autosave aspect isn't dealt with. So you'll need to set a specific file name in the witptracker.properties, such as wpae003.pws, and then you'll need to rename the saves to something like that name each time you want to read a turn (e.g., wpae003.pws.123, wpae003.123.pws, etc).

Hope that helps.

Floyd

Well, it helps a little.

I got it to run (neded curent Java, but I did that.)
    I got it to load my current save from Slot 7, which is March 10, 1942. All the data was there, everything was stable. But I wanted the history, so I erase all the DB files, re-edited the properties to point at autosave\wpae011.pws, which is December 8, 1941. That loaded fine, program stable.
    then I tried to load multiple turns, and I don't get any .pws files displayed at any level in the file tree. Not at SAVE\ or at SAVE\autosave. No files names of any kind.

So, from your note above, if I want the day-by-day autosaves, do I need to hand edit all 100+ .pws files in the autosave folder to have a ".xxx" suffix, or do I have to drag them out to the \SAVE level of the tree, or what? I guess I'm not understanding why I get no file names to display when Properties are set OK to load the first turn, and the program's directions say the multi-turn function will fetch .pws files from anywhere on the HD. The autosaves are all in sequential order as wpae012.pws, etc.

I understand that you're being bombarded with quesitons (this thread gre by three pages just as I was reading from the start this morning to see if my questions had been addressed), but I think dealing with the Autosave switches would be a good use of update time for AI-players who, like me, decide to jump in after playing months of an AI-game. I guess PBEM players just drag the save into the Tracker folder and play slowly that way, but AI players usually play multiple turns per day. I'd hate to lose the first four months of my war.

The Moose

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 358
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 7:08:41 PM   
    Bullwinkle58

I played around some more, and I think I answered my own question. Obviously, Tracker sees Save\apae011.pws as different than Save\autosave\apae011.pws. Maybe an unfortunate design decision by the the original team to make two 011.pws files possible, one auto- and one manual.

The only way I see to catch up to March 10, 1942 when all I have is autosave files, is to move all 100+ up to the Save\ level in the tree, set program Properties to read Save\apae011.pws to load December 8, 1941, then HAND EDIT each formerly autosaved file to be "apae011.pws.123", "apae011.pws.124", etc, then load them into the DB, THEN go back to Properties and change the target save to "apae007.pws" (my current, March 10, 1942 \Save-level manual save), and then remember to load data on every turn thereafter manually from apae007.pws.

Whew. Today is my birthday, so I don't think I'm going to do that. I'll probably just punt, start from March, 1942, and live without the history.

But I think adding code to make autosaves loadable natively would be a huge advance for the program and us AI-players.

The Moose

Post #: 359
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 7:44:38 PM   
    invernomuto

Thanks for the update!

Post #: 360
    Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI