Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 7:58:15 PM   
floydg

Moose -

First, you don't need to delete your database files - you only need to do that when you want to completely start over. Once you have a starting database, you can add onto it by loading new turns.

The program currently will only load turns which have a filename matching the SaveFile name in the witptracker.properties file. So you have some options:
  • Quit WitPTracker, edit the witptracker.properties file to use the name of the save file you now want to load, restart, use Read Turn. Repeat as needed.
  • Rename the files to something matching the pattern and use the Multi-turn Read
  • Wait for me to do something different with the reading routine

I recommend choosing one of the first two...

Floyd

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
  • Post #: 361
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 9:04:29 PM   
    MrLongleg

Are you guys planning to make that open source? I can program Java too and probably many other folks here ;-)

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 362
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/3/2009 9:21:10 PM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haudrauf1962

Are you guys planning to make that open source? I can program Java too and probably many other folks here ;-)

No chance. The save file format is proprietary to Matrix - we signed an NDA that we wouldn't tell.

Floyd

(in reply to MrLongleg)
    Post #: 363
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/4/2009 2:01:35 PM   
    Hanzberger

Good job guys, look forward to checking it out. (1.1)

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 364
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/4/2009 2:40:54 PM   
    Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

Good job guys, look forward to checking it out. (1.1)

I'm waiting for release 4.9.

(in reply to Hanzberger)
    Post #: 365
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/4/2009 5:25:38 PM   
    Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

Folks, the latest release of WitPTracker AE is now available.

<snip>

We hope you enjoy it. As always suggestions, comments and bug reports welcome.

Damian and Floyd

Thanks guys. Works like a charm on both the 32 & 64 bit Vista's. Nice to see the addition of "Task Forces" as a csv Export. I probably should have mentioned that "Ships" would also be a very useful CSV (Duh on me for forgetting). Under the category of "suggestions", let me lay out what I'm working on and tell me if it's something you might be able to support in a future version:

As everyone knows, the opening turn (Day 2) of WitP was a mammoth affair, and under AE it's oders of magnitude worse - almost beyond the capabilities of a human being to manage without a master plan. So what I'm trying to do is develop a template that has every location on the map, along with everything based there, so that players can go through and sequentially "check off" everything they are doing, one location at a time. Part of that includes a large "comment field" where players can write down specifically what they are doing. So in location "x" you would begin by doing "base things" (expanding forts or airfields), if there's industry then change settings if desired, then move on to aircraft (search settings, mission types, upgrades, movement to another location, etc), then to the land units (some stay, some go, etc), and finally ships (which ones go into which task forces, what are they carrying, where are they going, etc). It's a mammoth undertaking, but worth it insofar as the player only has to do it once, and can then refer back anythime they start a new game or decide to tweak their approach over time.

The problem here is that "location" is really the "key field", and although WitP Tracker is a GODSEND in gathering most of the starting position information, the various csv files use different formats for the location field. As an example, let's look at Pearl Harbor:
    Bases: 180,107
    Air Groups: Pearl Harbor
    LCUs: Pearl Harbor (180,107)
    TFs: 180,107 (Pearl Harbor) [7]
    Industry: Pearl Harbor
    There are others, but you get the point. Now I can kludge something that will tie them all together but it would be really nice if all reports/outputs had two different location fields. The first would be the physical hex location, while the second would be the location name (if applicable). That would standardize the handling of locations and easily enable folks to link the reports together using the hex location (which, by definition, is unique to every hex on the map), while still including the "name", which is a much more "human friendly" way to spot a location for those using individual reports.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 366
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/4/2009 6:00:03 PM   
    Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

Here's a quick workaround for those looking to grab data out of tables that aren't supported by the "CSV Export" function:

1) Highlight the top row
    2) Hold shift key and highlight the bottom row (highlights all rows in the table)
    3) Ctrl+C keys (copy function)
    4) Open a spreadsheet program (or even Notepad)
    5) Paste

Gah! This doesn't work with the "Ships" dataset! Any ideas how I can copy that into a file? That is a LOT of typing, otherwise!

(in reply to Kull)
    Post #: 367
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available - 10/4/2009 8:07:49 PM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad
    I'm waiting for release 4.9.

You have way more patience than I ever could...

(in reply to Nomad)
    Post #: 368
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/4/2009 8:29:12 PM   
    floydg

quote:

quote:

Here's a quick workaround for those looking to grab data out of tables that aren't supported by the "CSV Export" function:

1) Highlight the top row
    2) Hold shift key and highlight the bottom row (highlights all rows in the table)
    3) Ctrl+C keys (copy function)
    4) Open a spreadsheet program (or even Notepad)
    5) Paste

Gah! This doesn't work with the "Ships" dataset! Any ideas how I can copy that into a file? That is a LOT of typing, otherwise!

Oops, I see why. I set that table to single-selection mode.

I guess you'll need to wait a bit for the CSV export on that one. I'm doing it now while I watch the the Giants cream the Chiefs...

(in reply to Kull)
    Post #: 369
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/4/2009 8:41:47 PM   
    floydg

quote:

quote:

Folks, the latest release of WitPTracker AE is now available.

<snip>

We hope you enjoy it. As always suggestions, comments and bug reports welcome.

Damian and Floyd

Thanks guys. Works like a charm on both the 32 & 64 bit Vista's. Nice to see the addition of "Task Forces" as a csv Export. I probably should have mentioned that "Ships" would also be a very useful CSV (Duh on me for forgetting). Under the category of "suggestions", let me lay out what I'm working on and tell me if it's something you might be able to support in a future version:

As everyone knows, the opening turn (Day 2) of WitP was a mammoth affair, and under AE it's oders of magnitude worse - almost beyond the capabilities of a human being to manage without a master plan. So what I'm trying to do is develop a template that has every location on the map, along with everything based there, so that players can go through and sequentially "check off" everything they are doing, one location at a time. Part of that includes a large "comment field" where players can write down specifically what they are doing. So in location "x" you would begin by doing "base things" (expanding forts or airfields), if there's industry then change settings if desired, then move on to aircraft (search settings, mission types, upgrades, movement to another location, etc), then to the land units (some stay, some go, etc), and finally ships (which ones go into which task forces, what are they carrying, where are they going, etc). It's a mammoth undertaking, but worth it insofar as the player only has to do it once, and can then refer back anythime they start a new game or decide to tweak their approach over time.

The problem here is that "location" is really the "key field", and although WitP Tracker is a GODSEND in gathering most of the starting position information, the various csv files use different formats for the location field. As an example, let's look at Pearl Harbor:
    Bases: 180,107
    Air Groups: Pearl Harbor
    LCUs: Pearl Harbor (180,107)
    TFs: 180,107 (Pearl Harbor) [7]
    Industry: Pearl Harbor
    There are others, but you get the point. Now I can kludge something that will tie them all together but it would be really nice if all reports/outputs had two different location fields. The first would be the physical hex location, while the second would be the location name (if applicable). That would standardize the handling of locations and easily enable folks to link the reports together using the hex location (which, by definition, is unique to every hex on the map), while still including the "name", which is a much more "human friendly" way to spot a location for those using individual reports.

Yeah, I think I got the gist of this. I'd like to do something similar (and had some basic ideas formulating). But for now, our priority is to add AE-specific data that we're missing you can further immerse yourselves in numbers, settings and options.

(in reply to Kull)
    Post #: 370
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/4/2009 9:35:36 PM   
    ny59giants

quote:

I'm doing it now while I watch the the Giants cream the Chiefs...

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 371
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/6/2009 10:17:27 PM   
    RevRick

okay, guys. I cannot get the thing to initialize. Does it not work with modified scenarios? Do I have to save it in a particular slot? Almost anything I try leaves me sitting here befuddled. Now, granted that I am totally lost with most of the programming stuff - if I follow directions and all I keep getting is that the program could not open the gamee save file - something is wrong and I haven't a clue!

I have been trying to remember to save a just completed turn in slot 003, for example. It would not work. So I tried the autosave. It would not work. I tried initializing with the original slot I saved the game in my sequential saves at the end of the combat turn - and you guessed it... It would not work, all with the message that it could not open the game save.

Havs't thou, kind sirs, perchance the slightest whisper of direction which wouldst this unseemly annoyance abate?

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to ny59giants)
    Post #: 372
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/6/2009 10:24:16 PM   
    floydg

Simple questions to get us started:

Exactly what are you seeing when you try to initialize?

Are you running from the witptracker.jar file or the witptracker.bat file?

(in reply to RevRick)
    Post #: 373
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/6/2009 10:49:26 PM   
    RevRick

Trying to initialized with WitpTracker.bat.
    Thanks...
    I'm getting this:

quote:

C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitPAE Tracker>java -Xms128
    m -Xmx256m -jar "WitPTracker.jar"
    Initializing WitP Tracker AE database.
    ERROR: Save game file "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitP
    AE Tracker\wpae003.pws" could not be opened.
    ERROR: Problem with save game file. Exiting.

C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitPAE Tracker>pause
    Press any key to continue . . .

I have deleted all trackerdb files time and time again...no joy...

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 374
    Cabbage crates coming over the briney - 10/6/2009 10:50:42 PM   
    floydg

Here is a first pass at adding the additional ship damage information. Any suggestions before I move on to something else...?

Floyd

Attachment (1)

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 375
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/6/2009 11:03:13 PM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

Thanks...
    I'm getting this:

quote:

C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitPAE Tracker>java -Xms128
    ERROR: Save game file "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitP

Silly question: is there a wpae003.pws file in the C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitP
    AE Tracker
    folder?

(in reply to RevRick)
    Post #: 376
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/6/2009 11:11:27 PM   
    Smeulders

Looks pretty good to me.

One thing I've noticed in the device tab, under 'pool history', the LCU's that use the device are listed, but this list is often incomplete, a bit annoying if you're trying to find units that still need a certain device upgrade.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 377
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/6/2009 11:20:02 PM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders
    One thing I've noticed in the device tab, under 'pool history', the LCU's that use the device are listed, but this list is often incomplete, a bit annoying if you're trying to find units that still need a certain device upgrade.

Please give a concrete example and provide a save so I can track down why things are missing.

Floyd

(in reply to Smeulders)
    Post #: 378
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/7/2009 12:10:56 AM   
    Frandoxxx

I am hopeless in database understanding. I have the old version of tracker, I am through 5 turns in my game, if I upgrade to the new version, do I lose all the data for the first four turns? In other words will the first turn listed be turn five and the day by day data for turns one through 4 lost?

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 379
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/7/2009 12:14:25 AM   
    Smeulders

quote:

quote:

Please give a concrete example and provide a save so I can track down why things are missing.

Floyd

Sent a mail with the safe file attached and 2 examples.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 380
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/7/2009 12:20:41 AM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frandoxx

I am hopeless in database understanding. I have the old version of tracker, I am through 5 turns in my game, if I upgrade to the new version, do I lose all the data for the first four turns? In other words will the first turn listed be turn five and the day by day data for turns one through 4 lost?

If you have the save files from turns 1 through 4, you can reload them (delete the database files, start the program with turn 1's save and then use the multi-turn read to get in the other three turns). If you don't have them any more, you'll need to start from turn 5. Sorry...

Floyd

(in reply to Frandoxxx)
    Post #: 381
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/7/2009 12:22:20 AM   
    floydg

quote:

quote:

quote:

Floyd

Sent a mail with the safe file attached and 2 examples.

Got it. I'll check it out later tonight.

(in reply to Smeulders)
    Post #: 382
    RE: Cabbage crates coming over the briney - 10/7/2009 2:13:17 AM   
    n01487477

quote:

Here is a first pass at adding the additional ship damage information. Any suggestions before I move on to something else...?

Probably better in the Ship Repair section, but priority, repair mode and time till completion - if we have room ?

I've started working on ship conversions and will post screen shots later this week, cause I'm unsure what will work best, but my initial idea is to have a filter for temp conversions (AK cargo to AK-t), then and upgradeTO filter where you pick the class (in another filter) and the table will show the ships that can be converted, the original config and the upgrade config.
    Or do ppl think it would be better to have to ship type filters, the first being the original type the second the upgrade type?
    Or should this be purely on class ?

I'm planning on hooking another tab on the upgrade screen, or should it be in Ships or Classes for that matter ?
    Suggestions needed ...

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 383
    RE: Cabbage crates coming over the briney - 10/7/2009 2:17:29 AM   
    Nomad

When one of you starts working on LCUs, is it possible to show a march destination, distance traveled in hex, and op mode? Also a history of distance traveled each turn. It would be nice to see how many miles you are traveling each turn to be able to plan some. ( China is an Allied nightmare for me - my Japanese opponent is pushing me back everywhere.)

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 384
    RE: Cabbage crates coming over the briney - 10/7/2009 2:23:36 AM   
    n01487477

quote:

When one of you starts working on LCUs, is it possible to show a march destination, distance traveled in hex, and op mode? Also a history of distance traveled each turn. It would be nice to see how many miles you are traveling each turn to be able to plan some. ( China is an Allied nightmare for me - my Japanese opponent is pushing me back everywhere.)

We have the data points for this, and it was missed out last update, but it is on an extensive list and working its way to the top. I defer to Floyd, who is the LCU guru.

(in reply to Nomad)
    Post #: 385
    RE: Cabbage crates coming over the briney - 10/7/2009 3:14:27 AM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

We have the data points for this, and it was missed out last update, but it is on an extensive list and working its way to the top. I defer to Floyd, who is the LCU guru.

Yeah, these are on the list. The destination is already in the database, but for some reason, we never displayed it. We do use it for the "reached destination" alert.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 386
    RE: Cabbage crates coming over the briney - 10/7/2009 3:24:19 AM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

Probably better in the Ship Repair section, but priority, repair mode and time till completion - if we have room ?

I've started working on ship conversions and will post screen shots later this week, cause I'm unsure what will work best, but my initial idea is to have a filter for temp conversions (AK cargo to AK-t), then and upgradeTO filter where you pick the class (in another filter) and the table will show the ships that can be converted, the original config and the upgrade config.
    Or do ppl think it would be better to have to ship type filters, the first being the original type the second the upgrade type?
    Or should this be purely on class ?

I'm planning on hooking another tab on the upgrade screen, or should it be in Ships or Classes for that matter ?
    Suggestions needed ...

Damian: I'd do the conversions as a tab in the upgrades. Maybe by class is best (not sure on that).

Yeah, the repair mode, priority, etc in Ship Repairs (I'll make room... ). But is this really useful, since the game has a view for this already. Is there some "value added" way to view it differently?

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 387
    RE: Cabbage crates coming over the briney - 10/7/2009 3:58:54 AM   
    n01487477

quote:

Yeah, the repair mode, priority, etc in Ship Repairs (I'll make room... ). But is this really useful, since the game has a view for this already. Is there some "value added" way to view it differently?

Yeah, I'm not sure if there is "value added" in showing them either, except maybe the est.repair time. Not to overburden the alerts, but stating when it is back on-line after repairs/stood down/conversion might be more beneficial or not?

Yep, I thought upgrades was the best place, thinking of having duality in filtering, both class and then UpgradeTo ... but I'll see what is optimal.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 388
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/7/2009 1:12:33 PM   
    RevRick

quote:

quote:

Thanks...
    I'm getting this:

quote:

Silly question: is there a wpae003.pws file in the C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\WitP
    AE Tracker
    folder?

Well, I got it figured out! I did the Ray Stevens thing. "It's Me Again, Margaret!" I forgot to change the savemode value to a 1 instead of the zero. Like I said, when it comes to some of that stuff I am a complete Captain Klutz! I would have sworn that I'd done it, but I didn't. Anyway, it's working just fine, and Thank You Very Much!!!

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 389
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.1 - 10/7/2009 1:42:52 PM   
    floydg

quote:

Well, I got it figured out! I did the Ray Stevens thing. "It's Me Again, Margaret!" I forgot to change the savemode value to a 1 instead of the zero. Like I said, when it comes to some of that stuff I am a complete Captain Klutz! I would have sworn that I'd done it, but I didn't. Anyway, it's working just fine, and Thank You Very Much!!!

Great! Enjoy your flood of numbers!

(in reply to RevRick)
    Post #: 390
    Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0.1 Available Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI