Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Suggestion to improving the notes field

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Suggestion to improving the notes field Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Suggestion to improving the notes field - 3/2/2010 9:05:21 AM   
Mistmatz

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz

I'm currently using a xls sheet to write down my planned moves and other information for LCUs and other assets. Thats another tool to use and I came to think it would be nice if I could do something similar with tracker.

Of course there is the Notes field but with the suggestion to set up a new database every few months of turns I'd loose my thoughts or would have to write them down again which would be a bit tedious.

So I wonder if it would be possibly to export/import just the notes field from one database into another?

Another nice feature would be a second or even third notes field which would allow the player more flexibility when searching based on the content of a field as searches are currently limited to an alphabetical sort or the export into a CSV.

For the import/export, I'd rather address the cause, which is bloated databases forcing you to start over. My target is for the next-next release to at least partially implement something which will speed up the loading.

As for multiple note levels, also a good idea. But I have some other plan which may make it a moot point...

That sounds promising, looking forward to it. :)

If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_the_Pacific:_Admiral%27s_Edition_Wiki

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1141
WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/3/2010 3:31:26 PM   
herwin

Can someone post a walk-through of how to run WitPTracker in a 64-bit Windows 7 environment with a 64-bit Java JRE?

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 1142
RE: Problem with 1.4 and me - 3/3/2010 3:34:42 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Xargun, it took me a while to figure the "same turn" thing out, too. As Damian says, the key (as Japan) is to make a new save *after* you run the turn you receive from the Allied player, and then use *that* save to generate the current Tracker turn. I.e.: download turn from opponent; run it and watch replay; then hit "F" (not "E") to save the game onto your hard disk (in my case, always into a new slot); then run that new save through Tracker.

Ahh and there is my mistake :) Looks like I'm going to have to reset the database and load in the last 5 or 6 turns (which I keep archived just in case) and then I should be good. As for the improvements in 1.5 I can't wait - it should be a nice addition. I am no expert with the software yet but I like what I see so far. Thanks for making it.

Xargun

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 1143
RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/3/2010 3:59:13 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

Can someone post a walk-through of how to run WitPTracker in a 64-bit Windows 7 environment with a 64-bit Java JRE?

I keep getting an error message indicating I can't load IA 32-bit pws.dll on a 64-bit AMD platform. I'm actually running this:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
System Model: MacBookPro5,3
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM

So what does this error message mean?

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 1144
RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/3/2010 4:00:26 PM   
n01487477

quote:

Herwin,
as I said to you earlier (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2372987 onward) you need to run tracker under 32 bit JRE, this doesn't mean that you can't have dual 32 and 64 bit JRE's running on your machine, you just need to configure it ... One easy way as I said before was to install the 32 bit after the 64 bit or you could set the pathing correctly or you could "maybe" just put the 32bit java.exe into the tracker folder and set the batch file to point to that version of the JRE ...

A walkthrough ... well, as I nor Floyd have a 64 bit machine, and this is information from others who do ... I'm not sure I can do justice to it. Bed time now, but I'll have a go at it tomorrow.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 1145
RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/3/2010 4:02:33 PM   
n01487477

quote:

quote:

I keep getting an error message indicating I can't load IA 32-bit pws.dll on a 64-bit AMD platform. I'm actually running this:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Need more info:
Which Microsoft C++ library did you install ? You need the 32bit for Intel(yes, I know you have an AMD)
What Java JRE do you have installed ? If you need the 64 bit installed for other programs, you still need the 32 bit as well for Tracker...

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 1146
RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/3/2010 4:21:59 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

Herwin,
as I said to you earlier (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2372987 onward) you need to run tracker under 32 bit JRE, this doesn't mean that you can't have dual 32 and 64 bit JRE's running on your machine, you just need to configure it ... One easy way as I said before was to install the 32 bit after the 64 bit or you could set the pathing correctly or you could "maybe" just put the 32bit java.exe into the tracker folder and set the batch file to point to that version of the JRE ...

A walkthrough ... well, as I nor Floyd have a 64 bit machine, and this is information from others who do ... I'm not sure I can do justice to it. Bed time now, but I'll have a go at it tomorrow.

I'm starting to catch up...

The current problem is that I am launching using the 32-bit version of cmd, but apparently it is loading the 64-bit JRE. And, no, I'm not running an AMD. The error messages I'm getting are just a bit screwy.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1147
RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/3/2010 4:29:39 PM   
herwin

quote:

quote:

quote:

Need more info:
Which Microsoft C++ library did you install ? You need the 32bit for Intel(yes, I know you have an AMD)
What Java JRE do you have installed ? If you need the 64 bit installed for other programs, you still need the 32 bit as well for Tracker...

The Windows side has Visual Studio 2008 installed, and both 64-bit and 32-bit libraries are available. Only God knows what pws.dll is running with. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the latest JRE are installed. The registry was hosed by Parallels, and I had to nuke the partition and reinstall from scratch, so my configuration management has disappeared during the process. Everything is installed in 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and I suspect there are assumptions being made by the operating system about which versions to use when. I know I'm confused.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1148
RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/4/2010 1:31:07 AM   
n01487477

Herwin,
these are the notes I have ... I hope some of it helps you... you might just want to try configuring the batch file (see below) before uninstalling Java/C++ versions ...

quote:

Error Msg:
1. Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform
Vista 64 and Intel / AMD
Solution 1.
-Uninstall C++ libraries 95 and 98
-Uninstall Java 64 and 32
-Reinstall the Java 32bit JRE
-Reinstall the 32 bit C++ patch

• (I'm not sure if you can then install Java 64bit JRE and configure it to work as well ... but if you do you should install the 64Bit first) OR

Change your batch file to point to the 32 bit Java executable (you need the ""'s cause of the space) - this varies on different machines so you'll need to check the path:
    C:\"Program Files"\Java\jre6\bin\java -Xms384m -Xmx512m -jar "WitPTracker.jar" 
    pause

(See below for executing the batch file in Win64 bit) OR

Copy NOT Move your 32 bit java.exe into the Tracker folder (I'm hoping it will pick this up rather than the 64 bit)

• I'm unsure if you can have both the 32 and 64 bit C++ libraries available and still get Tracker to run, or how to configure it ... I'll do some more reading after I've planned my semester lessons -> which unfortunately takes priority.

Windows 7 and AMD
    No solution found or confirmed

2. Java is not recognized as an internal or external command
    Java is either not installed, or there is a pathing problem.

Solution 1. Check you have Java JRE installed.
    Solution 2. Move Tracker folder to the Desktop or c:\
    Solution 3. Copy java.exe from your C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin to the WitpTracker folder (remember copy not move)
    Solution 4. (The best but most difficult)
    1. Right-Click My Computer and select Properties
    2. Then Click The Advanced Tab
    3. Then Click Environment Variables
    4. Select Path In The Bottom Box and Click Edit
    5. Find Where You installed Java (E.g "C:\Program Files\Java\bin)
    Its different on each computer so check where it's installed
    6. Make Sure to add a semicolon after the word bin in the path to separate it from the other important paths
    7. If this doesn't work then you may have to reinstall Java and Try Again
    Source(s):
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml

Setting Path on Windows
    For Windows XP: (additional notes)

1. Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced
    2. Click on Environment Variables, under System Variables, find PATH, and click on it.
    3. In the Edit windows, modify PATH by adding the location of the class to the value for PATH. If you do not have the item PATH, you may select to add a new variable and add PATH as the name and the location of the class as the value.
    4. Close the window.
    5. Reopen Command prompt window, and run your java code.

3. # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
    #
    # EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d901afd, pid=4924, tid=6864

Batch file Set Up
    This is caused by not using the batch file to run Tracker, there are memory configurations inside the batch file.
    Solution 1. This information was provided by BigJ62:-

[edit]I use the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe to run tracker or staff, by default *.bat files on my vista64 bit machine will use C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe.

quote:

Is there a way to make a shortcut so I dont have to do the DOS command manually each time? By default, when I double click on the .bat file, it uses the wrong .cmd file. How can I set this up?

Well the quick way I did it was to make a copy of the bat file and rename the extension to something wacky then associate ("Open With..") that extension to the correct cmd which will open the cmd window in that directory.

Solution 2. I have a Tracker executable file made with a 3rd party Java executable ... P.Hausser uses this as other things failed to work for him.

4. Other errors.
    Generally speaking, uninstalling and reinstalling the C++ redist usually works. I've found some people having to go back to the original C++ package 95/98 and then patching up ... The x64 patch, seems to cause many problems and I'd recommend for now just trying the 32bit (x86) patch, before the 64Bit.

• < Message edited by n01487477 -- 3/4/2010 1:35:54 AM >

(in reply to herwin)
    Post #: 1149
    RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/4/2010 4:41:03 AM   
    witpqs

Harry - brainstorming - how about using something like VirtualBox and setting up that environment as 32-bit, forgetting about 64-bit until they have it canned.

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 1150
    RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/4/2010 9:37:34 AM   
    herwin

I'll futz with it today and see what's happening. I hate it when you lose three weeks to a hacked up programme!

Harry Erwin

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 1151
    RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/4/2010 11:29:27 AM   
    herwin

My current configuration has the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of both the 2008 libraries and the JRE. I'll try calling the 32-bit Java directly.

OK, that works, so the batch file should contain the following on Windows 7:

C:\"Program Files (x86)"\Java\jre6\bin\java -Xms384m -Xmx512m -jar "WitPTracker.jar"
    pause

Harry Erwin

(in reply to herwin)
    Post #: 1152
    RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/4/2010 11:58:43 AM   
    n01487477

quote:

I'll futz with it today and see what's happening. I hate it when you lose three weeks to a hacked up programme!

Hope your not calling Tracker a "hacked up programme"

quote:

My current configuration has the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of both the 2008 libraries and the JRE. I'll try calling the 32-bit Java directly.

C:\"Program Files (x86)"\Java\jre6\bin\java -Xms384m -Xmx512m -jar "WitPTracker.jar"
    pause

Glad to have helped Herwin ... hope you give us some additional suggestions along the way ...

Cheers
    Damian

(in reply to herwin)
    Post #: 1153
    RE: WitPTracker and 64-bit Windows 7 - 3/4/2010 12:10:26 PM   
    herwin

quote:

quote:

Hope your not calling Tracker a "hacked up programme"

quote:

pause

Glad to have helped Herwin ... hope you give us some additional suggestions along the way ...

Cheers
    Damian

I'll keep going. The hacked-up programme was Parallels!

Harry Erwin

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 1154
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/6/2010 7:00:34 AM   
    Chris21wen

Any idea what's casuing this please. It's only happening on my laptop, desktop is fine.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 1155
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/6/2010 12:06:09 PM   
    floydg

Chris -

Check the vcredist (Visual C++ update) on the laptop.

Floyd

(in reply to Chris21wen)
    Post #: 1156
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 9:05:34 AM   
    n01487477

Just wanted to show you something I think is cool from 1.5 ...

Pilot histories showing movements between groups ... (yep, I know the exp is wrong)

[edit]Oh, and we're getting pretty close

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 3/7/2010 9:06:17 AM >

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 1157
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 9:44:09 AM   
    seille

I´m one of the biggest fans of this program and use it daily.
    At startup every things is fine, but while playing around in tracker and doing research i get a long list of
    messages as the screen shows.

I often put my PC in standby mode with Tracker (1.4) open. Can this be a problem ?
    For games and other applications it usually isn´t.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 1158
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 11:09:42 AM   
    Moss Orleni

Dear all,

I'm currently trying to install Tracker on my new desktop. Followed all steps as indicated on the tracker installation page, but I keep getting the error message shown in the attached picture.
    I rechecked if I really installed Java, but that seems to be the case. I don't see the little Java runtime icon on my desktop taskbar, but it seems to have been instelled propeerly...
    Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Cheers,

Moss

Note: not sure if it's relevant, but I run Windows7 on an Intel i7. Note also that I have been running Tracker running on my laptop without any problem.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to seille)
    Post #: 1159
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 11:12:29 AM   
    n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moss Orleni

Dear all,

I'm currently trying to install Tracker on my new desktop. Followed all steps as indicated on the tracker installation page, but I keep getting the error message shown in the attached picture.
    I rechecked if I really installed Java, but that seems to be the case. I don't see the little Java runtime icon on my desktop taskbar, but it seems to have been instelled propeerly...
    Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Cheers,

Moss

Note: not sure if it's relevant, but I run Windows7 on an Intel i7. Note also that I have been running Tracker running on my laptop without any problem.

A few posts up and there is info on this error ... which is that you might have Java installed, but the path might be wrong ...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2391576

(in reply to Moss Orleni)
    Post #: 1160
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 11:14:15 AM   
    n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: seille

At startup every things is fine, but while playing around in tracker and doing research i get a long list of

I often put my PC in standby mode with Tracker (1.4) open. Can this be a problem ?

Not done any testing with standby mode ... don't think it would help though... Are these errors during a save file read ?

(in reply to seille)
    Post #: 1161
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 11:37:13 AM   
    Moss Orleni

Hi Damian,

I feel a bit embarassed, I try to make a habit of always checking the thread for solutions first, but didn't do so this time.
    I'll try out the proposed solutions.

Thanks for taking time to reply!

Cheers,
    Moss

BTW: little question on Tracker
    I know that TF detection levels are tracked via the Alert panel. Is there anything similar for bases?

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 1162
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 11:43:32 AM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: seille

If the program still functions after the return from standby, I wouldn't worry about these errors. They look like some painting issues, which could happen if you're showing something that may have dynamic table information. If you show a data set that has static information (for example, the Aircraft panel) when you put the PC in standby and then resume, does it still show errors like these? This may help narrow down the cause.

Floyd

(in reply to seille)
    Post #: 1163
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 11:45:59 AM   
    n01487477

quote:

Hi Damian,

I feel a bit embarrassed, I try to make a habit of always checking the thread for solutions first, but didn't do so this time.
    I'll try out the proposed solutions.

Thanks for taking time to reply!

Cheers,
    Moss

BTW: little question on Tracker
    I know that TF detection levels are tracked via the Alert panel. Is there anything similar for bases?

No, but I'll put it on the list for 1.6 (actually it was something I wanted too) ... it's too late for 1.5 inclusion now. Sorry.

No worries, try the solutions and if they don't work I'll give you a hand
    ... have a good night / day

Damian

Post #: 1164
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 1:06:47 PM   
    Moss Orleni

Damian,

Tried the java.exe solution, works like a charm now; thanks very much!

Base detection levels would be great to have for determining attack efficiency, so looking forward to the 1.6 update...

In our current PBEM game, I try to keep track of the last known positions of all enemy major warships (simply recording recording name, turn and location).
    Would it be feasible to include such a feauture in tracker? Easiest way IMO would be to simply include enemy ships in the Ships tab, but with the dynamic data fields left blank. You could then use the notes column to record your own information.
    I suppose the question is more general: would it be possible for Tracker to keep track of enemy units/bases as well? At the simplest level, having a notes field on enemy bases, TFs, ships, air units would already do the trick.

Just wondering...

Cheers,

Moss

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 1165
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 1:14:14 PM   
    n01487477

quote:

Damian,

Tried the java.exe solution, works like a charm now; thanks very much!

Base detection levels would be great to have for determining attack efficiency, so looking forward to the 1.6 update...

In our current PBEM game, I try to keep track of the last known positions of all enemy major warships (simply recording recording name, turn and location).
    Would it be feasible to include such a feauture in tracker? Easiest way IMO would be to simply include enemy ships in the Ships tab, but with the dynamic data fields left blank. You could then use the notes column to record your own information.
    I suppose the question is more general: would it be possible for Tracker to keep track of enemy units/bases as well? At the simplest level, having a notes field on enemy bases, TFs, ships, air units would already do the trick.

Just wondering...

Cheers,

Moss

Moss,
    although I haven't talked about this type of thing with Floyd, I get the sense from previous posts dealing with notes that he is thinking about something ... but I defer to him about this - and I know he keeps his cards close to his chest about any new development.

I guess also when we (actually Floyd) include OpReports, then some of this information will be available too ...

They are all good suggestions so thanks for the feedback.
    Cheers

Post #: 1166
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 10:47:31 PM   
    USSAmerica

Damian, the pilot history looks very cool.  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 1167
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 11:02:06 PM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Damian, the pilot history looks very cool.  

And I think I fixed the experience issue.

As Damian said, starting to wrap things up on Release 1.5 now...

(in reply to USSAmerica)
    Post #: 1168
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/7/2010 11:56:18 PM   
    pad152

Does save game load order make a difference when loading multiple turns?
    (wpae003.pws - wpae008.pws) vs (wpae008.pws - wpae003.pws)

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 1169
    RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.4 Available - 3/8/2010 12:07:42 AM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Does save game load order make a difference when loading multiple turns?
    (wpae003.pws - wpae008.pws) vs (wpae008.pws - wpae003.pws)

The names of the files don't matter when you use the "All PWS" option; all that matters is the actual turn number in the file. The turns must be loaded in sequential order (you can skip a turn, but you can't "fill in the blanks" later).
    And if you do select multiple files at once, the program will load them in turn order.

< Message edited by floydg -- 3/8/2010 12:08:12 AM >

(in reply to pad152)
    Post #: 1170
    Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Suggestion to improving the notes field Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI