Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rebasing AC.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Rebasing AC. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rebasing AC. - 9/22/2009 12:56:41 PM   
mack2

This is something I've been thinking about recently, having played a few scenarios which include various numbers of fighters and bombers which I move about for tactical advantage.

Do you consider it "gamey" or "wrong" to re-base AC from their original base? For example, as Red attacking Iceland/UK, moving Naval Aviation bombers from deep Russian airfields into bases in Norway, or even Keflavik in some North Atlantic Convoy type missions?

Do you draw a line somewhere?

Say transferring is fine if they have similar assets at the other base, for example, moving a squadron of F-16's from one base to another which has F-16s or even just a base with other fighters, but not if they don't, like moving fighters to a base with only ASW aircraft?

Do you consider the higher tech aircraft in the same way, for example not moving F-22's or B1/B2 bombers?

< Message edited by mack2 -- 9/22/2009 1:00:32 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Rebasing AC. - 9/22/2009 2:07:03 PM   
cchiang

I wondered that myself while playing HC.
Harpoon ANW do not have this issue (most of the time), there's usually an extra long prep time or no weapon of required.

In HC, I reposition the aircraft, just like you, because it lets me. Heck, it also has unlimited ammo for aircrafts... : )

< Message edited by cchiang -- 9/22/2009 2:09:14 PM >

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 2
RE: Rebasing AC. - 9/22/2009 2:14:41 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2
Do you consider it "gamey" or "wrong" to re-base AC from their original base? For example, as Red attacking Iceland/UK, moving Naval Aviation bombers from deep Russian airfields into bases in Norway, or even Keflavik in some North Atlantic Convoy type missions? Do you draw a line somewhere? Say transferring is fine if they have similar assets at the other base, for example, moving a squadron of F-16's from one base to another which has F-16s or even just a base with other fighters, but not if they don't, like moving fighters to a base with only ASW aircraft? Do you consider the higher tech aircraft in the same way, for example not moving F-22's or B1/B2 bombers?

I do not pass any judgment on others who do this (except perhaps to friends in jest on IRC ) but personally, I do try to impose limits on myself when it comes to moving aircraft around.

For example, if I have a stateside base that is hosting B-1Bs or B-52s, then I generally will not move those aircraft anywhere else, and I will limit myself to operating them from that base only.

If, however, I have aircraft (typically fighters or attack types) operating from a forward airfield, and more of the same in a rear airfield, I will sometimes move aircraft forward.

One other approach: If I have airlifters, such as C-5s or C-17s, I will send those ahead to simulate moving the equipment, weaponry and personnel needed to operate a new aircraft type at a new airfield.

I think that 'rebasing' without any sort of self-imposed controls probably robs the player somewhat of what the scenario author intended the scenario to be. Sure, you can play it that way, but you might be denying yourself the intended experience (even if it means losing).

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 3
RE: Rebasing AC. - 9/22/2009 2:15:54 PM   
TonyE

I consider it on a case by case basis. Then I usually re-base them anyway since I'm playing to have an enjoyable time, not to worry about hauling Phoenix missiles from base to base. I think the validity of any re-basing comes down to the particular scenario situations. Has the Warsaw Pact had control of Iceland for a while, then moving some Backfires there would make sense, but probably not Badgers and Bears. B-2s I wouldn't expect at any more than three or four places (Whiteman, Diego Garcia, Andersen, Fairford). F-22s could be an interesting case. I have no idea how large the stealth upkeep footprint is or how long the USAF would let the RCS degrade before returning to a location with stealth maintenance equipment.

So it all depends on how much your enjoyment depends upon following close to real life capabilities, what the scenario background indicates, and how much manual tracking you want to do (i.e. enforce basic Sidewinder + Sparrow loadouts for F-14 at non-native bases, no Phoenix, and maybe only allow one or two sorties before returning to a base that can keep the maintenance hog flying).

Them's my 2 cents.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 4
RE: Rebasing AC. - 9/25/2009 12:34:14 AM   
donaldseadog

I agree with what Tony has said and would add that in playing harpoon I also like to think about what the computer enemy is able to do and try not to get an unfair advantage (unless it looks like its going to win-damm blast it!!). So in this case I'd try to return to home base for reloading/fuelling etc.
Don.

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Rebasing AC. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI