Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky enabled)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Tech Support >> RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky enabled) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 2:43:24 PM   
harley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frandoxx

One thing I found out not being a "tech head," is when you disable the directdraw, it does NOT enable again by a reboot. You have to go back in and manually enable it again. I found this out the hard way as I tried to play another game after i had disabled the directdraw and had a nasty CTD. I manually enabled directdraw and this game ran fine again.

SO remember, to always reenable the directdraw after your ED/BTR sesssion is over to avoid bad surprises with other software.

Yeah, well, we'll stop the need to do this then it won't be a problem...

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy

(in reply to Frandoxxx)
Post #: 31
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 5:07:25 PM   
tgb

Even though I have an administrator account on my Vista 32 system, it won't let me change either the affinity or priority. I keep getting a "not authorized" message.

What am I doing wrong?

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 32
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 7:28:12 PM   
mikkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: harley
quote:

ORIGINAL: mikkey
harley, adjust this fix flashing hint panels too?

I need more info on this one. Where, what? I'm not sure what you mean from your first post.
I have disabled DirectDraw Acceleration. If I play in full screen, I have graphical glitches as JudgeDredd. If I play in window mod, graphics is O.K. but in Reaction phase flashing displayed hint panel. As a hint panels I think displayed information about the object (name, position, capacity, fuel...) or displayed button hint if I have mouse over him. This flashing happen every game time change (it's like screen refresh). During any actions (air combat, bombing target...) when time is stopped, displayed panels are without flashing.
My spec. WinXP SP2, IntelCore2(Conroe dual core), GF7900GS 256MB and 4GB RAM.
Sorry for my poor english

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 33
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 7:42:21 PM   
AttuWatcher

BOBBTR runs great but if I enable "Highlight Target Damage" it becomes a crawl.
Playing in window mode with affinity set to use all cores. I can't play with priority set to high because the music/sound becomes distorted.
I'm running Win7 and my display drivers don't allow me to disable direct draw. (atleast not in dxdiag or through monitor settings)

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 34
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 7:54:13 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAsea

BOBBTR runs great but if I enable "Highlight Target Damage" it becomes a crawl.
Playing in window mode with affinity set to use all cores. I can't play with priority set to high because the music/sound becomes distorted.
I'm running Win7 and my display drivers don't allow me to disable direct draw. (atleast not in dxdiag or through monitor settings)

going to a crawl, is that doing the plotting phase, or during the mission phase ?

one thing you could do, if it is the mission side, is to hit F2, that would take all of the targets off of the map but the ones you have targetted, which during the mission, you really don't need to have all of the targets highlighted

if you playing the defender, this don't work

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 35
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 8:09:38 PM   
AttuWatcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge
going to a crawl, is that doing the plotting phase, or during the mission phase ?

one thing you could do, if it is the mission side, is to hit F2, that would take all of the targets off of the map but the ones you have targetted, which during the mission, you really don't need to have all of the targets highlighted

Thanks for the quick reply HS. Yes this is during the mission phase.
Hitting F2 speeds things up nicely. Luckily I'm not playing defender right now.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 36
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/27/2009 11:51:48 PM   
harley

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikkey

I have disabled DirectDraw Acceleration. If I play in full screen, I have graphical glitches as JudgeDredd. If I play in window mod, graphics is O.K. but in Reaction phase flashing displayed hint panel. As a hint panels I think displayed information about the object (name, position, capacity, fuel...) or displayed button hint if I have mouse over him. This flashing happen every game time change (it's like screen refresh). During any actions (air combat, bombing target...) when time is stopped, displayed panels are without flashing.
My spec. WinXP SP2, IntelCore2(Conroe dual core), GF7900GS 256MB and 4GB RAM.
Sorry for my poor english

Ok, still trying to understand. You get the map "tearing" when scrolling, like JudgeDredd, but you also get the last pop-up "hint" showing when it shouldn't? - or - You get the map "tearing" when scrolling, like JudgeDredd, but you also get the pop-up "hint" flashing when it should be solid?

Is one of those correct? Is it only with DD Acceleration OFF?

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 37
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/28/2009 12:01:53 AM   
JudgeDredd

I think he's saying he gets the last popup hint flashing in Window mode and NO graphical tearing...the map tearing and popup flash are not related. He only gets the tearing in full screen, btu in window mode (no tearing) he gets the info boxes flashing up...I also get the impression from what he says that it's when his mouse is over something...but flashes, instead of staying there....possibly like the mouse hovers over something and the hint shows, only to disappear as if the mouse has moved...

I think...

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 38
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 9/28/2009 8:38:57 PM   
mikkey

oki, I think that the video says more than my words
Graphical glitches - it's happen only in full screen mod with DirectDraw Acceleration disabled (small size of the game window is the result of recording program, not visual bug)
Flashing hints - this happen only in window mod with DDA disabled and also with DDA enabled (with DDA enabled flickering is not too fast as with DDA disabled but still there is). It's look like screen refresh when is something change in bottom panel (game time, radio activity...).
If I play with DDA enabled, map scrolling is very very sluggish...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 39
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 10/12/2009 10:08:26 PM   
Mobeer

One thing I have found is that on the Save Game screen (accessed when a game is open), entering a Comment shows a Windows style dialog that does not fit well with the rest of the user interface. After completing the entering of a comment, the save game screen flickers and scrolls the save game list very quickly until the screen is exited. This makes it awkward to select the desired save game slot after editing the comment.

To be honest, probably not worth fixing in and of itself.

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 40
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 6/5/2016 8:41:56 PM   
Templer_12

quote:

Show night has been in the game since the original, all it does is dim the screen during the night phase, which causes a big drain on the processor. I thought I had this defaulted to OFF... Changing this under "options" will help your scrolling speeds.

The other one Ron kinda mentiones was "Highlight Target Damage", which is the crosshairs icon on the right of the screen. Turn this off to make it speed up a bit.

I had our other programmer working on the highlight issues, I'm not sure where he's up to at present.

I use a 4-core PC Win 8.1 and have the same problems.
The keys need to 2 seconds to react and the explosions are not smooth but ‚step by step‘.
Disabling Direct Draw is unsuccessful.
If I play the game in Windows mode, the game runs very smoothly and elegantly, a pleasure.
Unfortunately, the Windows window is much too small.

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 41
RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky en... - 6/13/2016 11:10:59 AM   
quertice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Templer

quote:

Show night has been in the game since the original, all it does is dim the screen during the night phase, which causes a big drain on the processor. I thought I had this defaulted to OFF... Changing this under "options" will help your scrolling speeds.

The other one Ron kinda mentiones was "Highlight Target Damage", which is the crosshairs icon on the right of the screen. Turn this off to make it speed up a bit.

I had our other programmer working on the highlight issues, I'm not sure where he's up to at present.

I use a 4-core PC Win 8.1 and have the same problems.
The keys need to 2 seconds to react and the explosions are not smooth but ‚step by step‘.
Disabling Direct Draw is unsuccessful.
If I play the game in Windows mode, the game runs very smoothly and elegantly, a pleasure.
Unfortunately, the Windows window is much too small.

to get game window large enough you have to get lower monitor resolution by Windows option, my monitor is 1920*1080 native, but to play EDtBtR in window mode I change monitor resolution to lower (I use 1280*768 or similar)

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Tech Support >> RE: sluggish performance (even with tips from sticky enabled) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI