Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice for Online Play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Scenario Design and Editing >> Advice for Online Play Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice for Online Play - 9/26/2009 7:07:09 AM   
US Brake

I have played Close Combat III The Russian Front online for years and now play Cross of Iron as well. One thing that makes the game great is the scenario editor. This tool is the key to creating a wide variety of battles. For players who are new to online play here is some advice.

When you host a game be prepared with a variety of battles that might appeal and entertain a guest. Playing a Grand Campaign has always been popular and I recommend it. In CoI choose Historic Campaign and select the first listed Grand Campaign which is the classic GC from CC3. Or better yet scroll down and play the Custom GC 43, (even better). When you select a GC to play rename it "your opponents name" vs "your name" After each battle the Campaign is auto saved and its easy to find it later. Once you start a GC with someone your hooked!

The host should always ask the guest to choose a side on any prepared battle.

Typical Settings include 15-25 min time limits, end match when time runs out
Gamespeed on fast
Historical Rarity On
100% Realism (if you want a more challenging realistic sim)
95% Realism (beginners)
For making Single Day battles or Multi-Day Ops:
A large area to deploy in for both sides. Unlike CCV you don't have to start a battle in a small corner.
Maps typically are designed with 3-8 Victory Locations.
Make single day battles or multi-day ops with the goal of fairness and balance.
Provide notes in Briefing that inform both players of start points , daily points, and any additional points for advancing or retreating onto new maps. Also inform as to any Barrage and the targets. For example; Barrage targets center VL.

Since everyone has their own preferences for settings a typical compromise is to let the host choose the settings and the guest choose a side. Take turns hosting each time you play.

If you get bored of the GC or Stock Maps both you and your opponent can easily and quickly download a custom map and place it in your map folder. It really doesnt take long to make a battle on the fly.

Hopefully some of this advice can help facilitate some good games.

PS. You never have total control of your units so don't get angry when your AT gun won't fire or your conscripts surrender. It's part of the game. War can be frustrating. Have fun.

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Scenario Design and Editing >> Advice for Online Play Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI