Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interested in this game.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Interested in this game. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interested in this game. - 9/30/2009 2:11:57 AM   
V22 Osprey

This game looks like it's going to be very fun.

Main Reasons I may not get this game:
-War in the Pacific AE: Don't if I'll have to the time to play WitE as well as WitP:AE
-The Operational Art of War III: This a versatile Operational Wargame, and I can play pretty much any battle I want especially with the editor.Convince that this game is special enough that I should get it even though I have a perfectly good and versatile Operational Wargame already.
-Price: Hopefully not too much I hope.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 9/30/2009 2:14:26 AM >

Art by rogueusmc.
Post #: 1
RE: Interested in this game. - 9/30/2009 10:44:00 AM   
paullus99

Looks like this game goes way beyond just an "operational" wargame. TOAW is a great game, but doesn't have nearly the depth that this will have given its focus on one particular campaign.

Cost - probably in the $50 - 65.00 range (just a guess) but $59.99 is fairly standard around here.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 2
RE: Interested in this game. - 9/30/2009 3:14:37 PM   
Cavalry Corp

The cost is much more in time

look at AE , you could make a full career playing that - shame there is no prize money ehh!!

Cav

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 3
RE: Interested in this game. - 9/30/2009 10:27:10 PM   
PyleDriver

Well it really boils down to if you play it, and the hours you enjoy per cost. Or if you just shelve it...I'm have some 2400 hours now it testing (17 months), and it gets better with every update. I'm still sucked in 4 to 8 hours a day...Scarry huh...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 4
RE: Interested in this game. - 10/24/2009 2:50:19 PM   
wurger54

Played the daylights out of Grigsby's War in Russia in the '90s. Really looking forward to getting my hands on this!!!

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 5
RE: Interested in this game. - 10/24/2009 3:18:43 PM   
PyleDriver

I too spent my best money in hours played with WIR. I lost one wife over it...lol...But this game, how can I discribe it. It's like a wonderfull woman, you just have to see and feel to believe...WIR was more of a grand scale game even though most peices of equipment were taken into account. This game really puts into the OKH/STAVKA seat...I really love this one...I really can't wait for the green light to give more screen shots, the map is a work of beauty...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to wurger54)
Post #: 6
RE: Interested in this game. - 10/24/2009 7:13:54 PM   
Zemke

How will WitE compare with HPS series "Total War in Europe", besides the obvious differences in time scale, (TWiE uses a 1 Day time scale). HPS just came out with "War on the Southern Front", and I am pretty sure they will be doing a Russia version at some point. I am wondering if any of the play testers have compared the two engines?

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 7
RE: Interested in this game. - 10/26/2009 7:10:12 PM   
Capt Cliff

HPS series stinks! The designer uses the same game engineer for platoon, company and battalion level combat. Like HUH?? I bought a few but when the results started getting wonky I abandoned those games as being unrealistic and a ploy by the designer to put out quantity at the expense of a poor game engine. BLEH! What a waste of money buying those silly games.

WitE is looking real good. Perhaps they can add options as patches if they get good sales numbers.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 8
RE: Interested in this game. - 11/5/2009 7:57:53 PM   
Rolandnc

I have been waiting for an updated WIR for years.   i also played this for hours... in "What if"  ..  what if the Germans had the MKIII and MKIVG early in war and had prepared for a winter war?  What I do not want to do is replay just history.   The outcome is predictable.     I used to play "War in the East"  and DraG Nack Osten"  on a pool table.....  with a 4 x 8' plywood top.....  I loved these games.....  Oh yes .. As the Germans... I never went for Leningrad nor Stalingrad.   I always went for North and South of Moscow to secure the North and South rail lines...  As the Germans I never won... but did manage to play over and over again to a stalemate ......I did have excellerated war production and did change production to the Mrk IV H, Panther,  Jadgpanther,  Hetzers  and No Tigers,  No Kingtigers,   

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 9
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/13/2009 10:40:14 PM   
Chromius

Cost??

Witp AE cost me 119.00 NZ dollars. I am originally from the U.S. and used to make 60k about 4 years ago, moved to NZ and per capita is 27k, pay sucks here, 50k = about 25k in the US in terms of what it gets you, cost of living is twice as high, electronics/furniture/food/petrol all higher. So what you paid 49 or 59 for I pay 89 to 99 in relative monetary funds.

I think that the shear scope of these and the fact they are not the most profitable to bother developing allow for a higher price tag. You really need to support the few developers who are bothering to offer us this mind-food. Yes they are making a living off of it, but still. If you enjoy grand strategy and it is well done I just can not see how it could be a major factor. Gee 1 dinner and the movies = more spent vs a zillion hours of advanced strategy = no brainer decision for me. But hey whatever floats your boat. :)

I personally am looking quite forward to this particular title. (regardless of the cost)

edit: I hate forums that do not give you at least a 5 minute fix time before claiming it was edited.

< Message edited by Chromius -- 12/13/2009 10:43:15 PM >

(in reply to Rolandnc)
Post #: 10
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/14/2009 1:05:36 PM   
KarlXII

Personally I will buy War in the East simply because it builds on the fantastic previous games Second Front, Western Front and War in Russia, the last which I have sadly never played.
I love the idea with limited production, replacement and supply. Especially since I consider myself more brilliant at defensive operational manouvers versus offensive style.
And of course, it gets more realistic by detailing every single tanks and airplane that existed together with their capabilities.

I too love TOAW 3 but the A.I didn´t just handle the strategical situation good enough. Instead pushing forward locally with operational forces without coordinating them well enough for strategical goals.

(in reply to Chromius)
Post #: 11
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/14/2009 3:46:40 PM   
Hexagon

I think that for that price is an expensive game.

PD: PzC and NPC from HPS are good games (even Renacimiento and EAW), better say that the Great operational games (1st blitzkrieg and Mediterranean) arent good games compared with others.

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 12
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/14/2009 4:28:30 PM   
Joel Billings

Guys, think in terms of original WitP pricing, thereabouts, and you'll be close. I'm sure a final decision will come much closer to release, but come on, this game has been in development off and on since 2000. It's will have gotten 2 solid years of development by the time it's out, plus another 1-2 equivalent years from all the time it was worked on partially while we were also working on other games. This is a huge effort and although we do make a living on our work, we wouldn't be living high on the hog from our royalties even if we were living in New Zealand. Like WitP, if you enjoy the game system, you will end up paying pennies on the hour for the time you spend playing the game. If you don't enjoy the game system, it doesn't matter what we charge you. Seeing as I am basically a believer in free markets, the decision is entirely up to you, and if you elect not to buy the game, so be it. In 1980 we charged the unheard of price of $60 ($154 in 2008 dollars) for Computer Bismarck, and SSI survived to create many wargames (had I priced the game at $25 like I first thought I should, we probably would have not survived the year). In 1984 we sold War in Russia for $80. That game, which is probably 1/10 the code (or less) of this game, would sell in 2008 dollars for $163. Now that I think of it, I think a $149.99 price sounds pretty good to me.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 12/14/2009 4:30:40 PM >

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 13
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/14/2009 5:13:29 PM   
Hard Sarge

make it 159.99 if the testers get a cut :)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 14
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/14/2009 5:28:23 PM   
elmo3

What do you mean "if"?  I was promised "big bucks" for joining the team.  Weren't you? 

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 15
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/14/2009 5:56:15 PM   
Hard Sarge

remember what the old guy said, a Sucker is born every minute

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 16
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/15/2009 4:41:34 AM   
freeboy

r u serious ?149$$$

< Message edited by freeboy -- 12/15/2009 6:53:09 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 17
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/15/2009 7:21:26 AM   
KarlXII

149$ sure is very expensive. I wonder if there will be enough copies sold to make up the development costs. I am ready to pay more than average stratagy games sold at Matrix but not at any cost. Though I would gladly pay more to have a boxed version with a full and lengthy manual. Not a digital download for 149$.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/15/2009 9:03:30 AM   
Hexagon

Well, you can put the price you want, but i think that is the buyer who can say if is a low or a high price (every person is a world) and sorry man, but dont talk to me about games from the Jurasic (1 year in videogames are like 100 years) because now you use digital download and you have o bigger market than 20 years ago and isnt the same situation now than 20 years ago, well not all, because pay more than 60 dollars (45 euros) for a game is high now and 20 years ago for me.

I am agree with karlxii.

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 19
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/15/2009 9:08:58 AM   
Rasputitsa

I bought WIR in the 1980's for £84 (GBP) and I would do it again, but the price initially quoted by Joel for WitE is to be in a range similar to WitP on original release. $149 looks like a Christmas wish, unlikely to come true and anyway I still have WIR.

(in reply to KarlXII)
Post #: 20
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/15/2009 2:00:21 PM   
Josh

In all fairness, I really do doubt they will ask 150$. Especially nowadays... money getting tight and all.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 21
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/15/2009 4:31:29 PM   
Joel Billings

You guys are very sensitive. I thought it was obvious that that $149.99 was intended as humor. I was an economics major in college (quantitative econ, econometric modeling was what I was going to do for a living before I decided to found SSI, my undergraduate thesis was on projecting the supply and demand for minicomputers and GPs from 1980-1990, in 1978 we didn't even think in terms of personal computers). I understand supply/demand curves, elasticity of demand. The tough part is getting real world info to allow one to set the optimum price to maximize one's profit. I would be happy to encourage Matrix to set the price in a way to maximize our (and hopefully their) return. My point was that given the niche nature of the product, one has to be careful setting it too low just because some people want it to be less. My other point was that anyone that enjoys the game will be paying pennies per hour and that it's a good deal by any standard. For those that would not enjoy the game, any price is too much.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 22
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/15/2009 4:44:05 PM   
Captain

I have no problem with developpers receiving a fair return for their work. I would personally have no issue paying $149 for WITE if it lives up to its promise.

PC Gamers will pony up hundreds of dollars to buy the latest hardware, but always expect to buy games at cut rate prices.If I priced my services the same way... I would not be able to afford this hobby...

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 23
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/15/2009 5:11:20 PM   
Josh

Phew
Well it *was* obvious that the 150$ pricetag was intended as a joke.... but I wasn't certain of it
Moreover, we European customers end up paying much more for the physical delivery (taxes and all) so that would make a pricetag of 150+.
But I agree with you, if the game proves to be the game we expect it to be, it'll be cheap if you compare the endless hours of gameplay we will spend on it.
So it'll be 14.99$ then?

(in reply to Captain)
Post #: 24
RE: Interested in this game. - 12/15/2009 10:09:42 PM   
Chromius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Guys, think in terms of original WitP pricing, thereabouts, and you'll be close. I'm sure a final decision will come much closer to release, but come on, this game has been in development off and on since 2000. It's will have gotten 2 solid years of development by the time it's out, plus another 1-2 equivalent years from all the time it was worked on partially while we were also working on other games. This is a huge effort and although we do make a living on our work, we wouldn't be living high on the hog from our royalties even if we were living in New Zealand. Like WitP, if you enjoy the game system, you will end up paying pennies on the hour for the time you spend playing the game. If you don't enjoy the game system, it doesn't matter what we charge you. Seeing as I am basically a believer in free markets, the decision is entirely up to you, and if you elect not to buy the game, so be it. In 1980 we charged the unheard of price of $60 ($154 in 2008 dollars) for Computer Bismarck, and SSI survived to create many wargames (had I priced the game at $25 like I first thought I should, we probably would have not survived the year). In 1984 we sold War in Russia for $80. That game, which is probably 1/10 the code (or less) of this game, would sell in 2008 dollars for $163. Now that I think of it, I think a $149.99 price sounds pretty good to me.

Sorry, I think my post was misunderstood, I was actually defending your sell price whatever it may be, and was reinforcing pretty much what you said. :) That is what I get for not using quotes for my REPLY to post one.

Sorry for all these quoty things, just sorting it out as I was mis-read.

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

This game looks like it's going to be very fun.

Main Reasons I may not get this game:
-War in the Pacific AE: Don't if I'll have to the time to play WitE as well as WitP:AE
-The Operational Art of War III: This a versatile Operational Wargame, and I can play pretty much any battle I want especially with the editor.Convince that this game is special enough that I should get it even though I have a perfectly good and versatile Operational Wargame already.
-Price: Hopefully not too much I hope.

My reply.....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chromius

Cost??

Witp AE cost me 119.00 NZ dollars. I am originally from the U.S. and used to make 60k about 4 years ago, moved to NZ and per capita is 27k, pay sucks here, 50k = about 25k in the US in terms of what it gets you, cost of living is twice as high, electronics/furniture/food/petrol all higher. So what you paid 49 or 59 for I pay 89 to 99 in relative monetary funds.

I think that the shear scope of these and the fact they are not the most profitable to bother developing allow for a higher price tag. You really need to support the few developers who are bothering to offer us this mind-food. Yes they are making a living off of it, but still. If you enjoy grand strategy and it is well done I just can not see how it could be a major factor. Gee 1 dinner and the movies = more spent vs a zillion hours of advanced strategy = no brainer decision for me. But hey whatever floats your boat. :)

I personally am looking quite forward to this particular title. (regardless of the cost)

My own fault for being misread. I have no issues with price. I mean console port pc crap sells for top dollar, I would pay more for a title like this IF it ensured continued releases and development. But the problem with that is the cheap wads would not buy it thus decreasing overall sales so possibly it is a two-edged sword I guess. I bought HOI3 while unemployed the day it was released, after 3 broken games with 3 patches, including having to alter my savegame to continue on in the present 1.3 I still have NO issues with the money spent. I am just unhappy at not having a fully developed working title. Im hoping I have another 20-30 years of strategy/simulation gaming in me so I need guys like you to survive, and possibly make a better than decent living as we are all entitled to. :)

Cheers

Chris

(in reply to Chromius)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Interested in this game. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI