Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Political Question?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: The Political Question? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Political Question? - 12/19/2009 5:00:14 PM   
vinnie71

Yep that's my question! There were several German generals who were transfered out from the East to the Mediterranean or West - like Arnim, Kesserling, Dietrich, Bittrich, Model, Senger and others that don't come to mind now.

BTW just asking

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 61
RE: The Political Question? - 12/20/2009 10:18:15 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

......a leader which really did badly in the last couple of turns, he could be dismissed by the player? Or is it the AI which dismisses him?

The thing I don't get is that this is a game. Leaders will never do badly. Instead, players do badly. Promotion / dismissal doesn't make sense.

-

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 62
RE: The Political Question? - 12/20/2009 10:28:32 PM   
PyleDriver

Joe, leaders do so much in the game. Theres die rolls depending on there level, either armor or infantry ratings, of how much of there forces are commited to the battle. Good leaders are able to throw everything into the battle where other leaders won't..

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 12/20/2009 10:29:29 PM >

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 63
RE: The Political Question? - 12/20/2009 11:05:07 PM   
vinnie71

True. In every strategy game there are historical leaders who give you that extra bit. Ex is there an American Civil War game in which the Grant/Sherman combo on one side and Lee/Jackson combo are not special in one way or another? The same applies here. I'm not saying that one has to blame a failed attack on an AI generated general, but being able to influence who gets a crucial command does make the difference...

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 64
RE: The Political Question? - 12/20/2009 11:19:44 PM   
PyleDriver

Well we have that too...You have the power in this game to fire him...However, theres only so much you can do in a turn with AP's and what to do with them...Thus the beauty of the game...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 65
RE: The Political Question? - 12/21/2009 8:59:12 AM   
vinnie71

...after all we're only playing the game as a Hitler or Stalin....

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 66
RE: The Political Question? - 12/21/2009 9:12:38 AM   
PyleDriver

Not really, were playing the game as OKH or STAVKA...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 67
RE: The Political Question? - 12/31/2009 8:19:22 AM   
von Beanie

I'm not sure how victory is determined, but if there are victory points, then those could be gained or lost by accomplishing certain randomly assigned tasks, liking taking a certain city by a specific date. For example, if you choose to violate a "no retreat" order, you would lose X amount of victory points each turn for each hex surrendered. These sorts of political considerations greatly affected operations on the eastern front, and the players should be subject to the same sorts of political meddling that happened in reality. Nearly all of the board games about the eastern front 25 years ago included these sorts of mechanisms, and I can't imagine that it would be that hard to add as an OPTION.

The political sphere really needs to be addressed in computer wargames of this scope. One of the most disappointing aspects of WITP and AE to me is that there is never an incentive to try something like the Doolittle raid. It didn't make sense militarily, but Roosevelt saw the need for it politically. Sure, the Allied commander could refuse to try it, but then there should be a substantial victory point loss for failing the task. To exclude these types of "random" political matters from military games does a disservice to what the military high commands had, and still have, to deal with.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 68
RE: The Political Question? - 12/31/2009 12:10:47 PM   
elmo3

Currently victory points are based on taking and holding objectives and for inflicting enemy losses.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 69
RE: The Political Question? - 12/31/2009 3:10:58 PM   
Pford

quote:

he political sphere really needs to be addressed in computer wargames of this scope.

Maybe, but not in this one; on that subject it appears the train has left the station: no player interference by OKH, OKW, or Stavka.

(in reply to von Beanie)
Post #: 70
RE: The Political Question? - 1/3/2010 1:04:43 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

True. In every strategy game there are historical leaders who give you that extra bit.

Yes but it am getting the impression that the player has no say. Instead the AI will decide that leaders from time to time get sacked or promoted. I see it leading to much discussiin after the game is released.

-

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 71
RE: The Political Question? - 1/3/2010 1:50:21 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Yes but it am getting the impression that the player has no say. Instead the AI will decide that leaders from time to time get sacked or promoted. I see it leading to much discussiin after the game is released.

The details are still being worked out but: Leaders can get promoted in rank when they reach a certain number of promotion points. Leaders can be dismissed or executed based on poor performance. There is also a small chance a leader will be killed if his HQ is displaced by an enemy unit. Those decisions are made by the game. However you can also replace leaders by paying the cost in admin points for dismissing them. So it's not true the player has no say.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 72
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: The Political Question? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI