Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 11/10/2000 3:13:00 PM   
Arralen

Easiest way to get a breakdown with the MG34/43/3 .. : Fire long belt (250 rounds), pull out the barrel and drop it into the snow :-) A. PS: True story

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 31
- 11/10/2000 6:20:00 PM   
jerrek

actually it makes sense that mg34/42 has barrels swapped every 250 rounds rather than thrown away or 2 many would be used. Next time i pick up a soldier (taxi driver) i will ask him about their assault rifles as i am sure that they throw them away (in peacetime anyway) after 200 rounds. Of course asault rifles are in reality only single shot weapons if you want accuracy so they don't shoot so many rounds. Actually the steys are very unreliable if not kept clean - if you do not clean them constantly, particularly if they get wet rust sets in the barrel (possible court martial).

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 32
- 11/10/2000 8:33:00 PM   
Peregrine Falcon

You mean Steyr AUG? Oh god I love that assault rifle, I wish I had one Gotta love that bullpub-design
quote:

Originally posted by jerrek: Actually the steys are very unreliable if not kept clean - if you do not clean them constantly, particularly if they get wet rust sets in the barrel (possible court martial).

--Peregrine Falcon--

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 33
- 11/12/2000 2:00:00 PM   
KriegPanther

The MG34 was history prone to breakdowns in harsh conditions. This wasn't because the weapon was poorly made, but actually because it was too finely made. The tolences where exact, and there was only the bare minimum of play between parts required for operation. This lack of play meant that dirt could easily foul weapon. I believe this was largely corrected on the MG42. It also wouldn't effect vehicle mounted weapons as much, as they weren't lugged through the mud like those used by the infantry.

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 34
- 12/1/2000 5:08:00 AM   
Grumble

True, I also read, and heard from veterans, that the reason the MG34 stayed in vehicles was the "new" MG42 barrels wouldn't fit into the vehicle MG mounts.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 35
- 12/1/2000 6:17:00 AM   
Mike Rothery

quote:

Originally posted by jerrek: I was speaking with a soldier of the australian army recently and he told me that the styer assault rifle was rated for 200 rounds per barrel before replacement. Obviously they could do more if required but i suppose they would be less reliable. Under automatic fire they go transparent and you can see the bullets going up the barrel. Aty this point i would imagine the barrels are quite weak and easily deformed. MG42 would have a similiar problem. At the end of the war (not sure ww1or2) their was a test i remember about with some british shooting a vikers continuously with surpluss ammo to see how long it would last - i seem to remember they gave up after 6000 hours (or some stupid figure). Water cooling, heavy but useful.
I think that the guy meant that after 250 rounds of continuous fully automatic fire you would start to get barrel erosion, ie the rifling would start to wear away rapidly, and the accuracy would drop. The weapon will continue to function for a lot longer thanthis, but the barrel would have to be replaced. As for the barrel becoming flexible, well a very hot barrel will droop, or whip when fired and start to lose long range accuracy, but this will recover when cool unless it was absolutley cooked. The test on the Vickers gun you mentioned was in about 1910 before the First World War. The Vickers, like the Maxim on which it was based, was cooled with a water jacket. The test ended when they ran out of ammunition available at the range.

MikeR

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 36
- 12/2/2000 1:55:00 AM   
Casualty

I could accept some short malfunctions (Gun jamming etc.) but having something like over 10 malfunctons with machineguns lasting the whole battle is bit odd, it would require a major breakdown, where they that usual? what about those mortars? Are they so sofisticated weapons that they can malfunction all the time and stay that way a whole battle? Those things keep on jamming too

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 37
- 12/2/2000 4:13:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

I realize that we've just about seen all the improvements we're going to get in SPWAW, but having said that here's one that I would like: Different types of weapons should have different breakdown rates. Anyone that has used a variety of different types of weapons in their military careers knows that they have dramatically different reliability rates. My personal ratings on a scale of 1 to 10 for the stuff I used: 105mm Tank Gun - 9 152mm Gun/Rocket Launcher (M60A2) - 5 M2HB .50 Cal - 9 M85 .50 Cal - 8 M73/M240 7.62mm (coax) - 1 (maybe 0) M60 7.62mm - 7 M16A1 - 7 Vehicles should have 2 rates, one for breakdown and one for getting stuck in the mud. ------------------ Target, Cease Fire !

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 38
- 12/2/2000 4:51:00 AM   
TheOriginalOverlord

Kluckenbill, I like your list, great idea. One thing..the M73 and M240 it's like comparing night and day. M73 was a total POS! Had to have it's own special ammo just to function. While the 240 on the otherhand is very reliable weapon, I haven't been able to break one yet...made a few parts fall off one but she kept on 'achugging out that 7.62 ammo! ------------------ Semper Fi! Overlord

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI