Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reviews of Uncommon Valor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Reviews of Uncommon Valor Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reviews of Uncommon Valor - 6/20/2002 12:28:00 AM   
David Heath

Read what reviewers are saying about UV

Gamespot -
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,561764,00.html

Game Zone -
http://www.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r20213.htm

CombatSim -
http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/2002/06/uncomm/

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 2/6/2004 12:57:50 AM >
Post #: 1
- 6/20/2002 4:02:12 AM   
WW2'er

David,

Your first link didn't work for me and the third link apparently requires membership to access.:confused:

WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
- 6/20/2002 4:17:06 AM   
David Heath

I fixed the first link and yes you need membership access for CombatSim which is a great site and well worth the money.

David

Post #: 3
- 6/20/2002 10:10:00 PM   
FirstPappy

David,

Speaking of reviews, might it be a good idea to ask UV players for their personal comments/reviews about the game? Could be useful in print advertising and/or perhaps start a new section on the Matrix website just for player reviews.

Post #: 4
- 6/20/2002 10:22:25 PM   
Marc von Martial

You´re all free to review the game in the shop and on the Matrix main website. Use our interactive features, they´re here for some reason ;)

Post #: 5
- 6/21/2002 12:56:54 PM   
IChristie

I'm beginning to think that the scores applied for graphics and sound are inversely proporitional to the age of the reviewer...:D

Great reviews. The Combat Sim one rocks.

Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan

Post #: 6
MGO Would Like To - 6/23/2002 8:56:59 PM   
Shaun Wallace

Hia Guys,

MGO would like to congratulate the guys who worked on UV for the great reviews its had.

A good review from the 2 hour review brigade at Gamespot is stunning.

Well done guys !

Shaun Wallace

Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
----------------------
http://www.closecombat.org/csoforums/portal.php

Post #: 7
Happy Gamers Thread - 7/18/2002 7:08:19 AM   
VictorH

What about setting up a permanent thread that justs lists positive reviews by gamers?

Post #: 8
- 7/18/2002 8:53:34 AM   
XPav

The "love me" thread?

:D

Post #: 9
Rave reviews in exotic languages... - 7/19/2002 4:56:47 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

http://www.bug.hr/ - this is the website of the magazine I'm working for, mainstream computer magazine, circulation 35.000, largest computer magazine in Croatia, being sold in neighboring countries too (in all of ex-Yugoslavia). For the next few days link to UV review is going to be on the top of this page.

http://www.bug.hr/master/rec/ - this is sub-site of my magazine's site, devoted specifically to games. Some (just SOME) of the game reviews from the paper magazine get posted on the web in their shortened versions. (We don't want to compromise the sales of our paper magazine :o)

Finally:

http://www.bug.hr/master/rec/valor/ - this is direct link to UV review that I (as magazine's "wargaming editor") wrote. Mind you, this is just a shortened version of the full-size review from the "paper" magazine. It was NOT written specifically for the web (even the pictures are taken from our DTP guys, after being prepared for the print so they look a bit blueish to me).

All this won't probably mean much to anyone here, due to the fact that the review is written in Croatian, but at least the final mark should be understandable to all.

Oleg

Post #: 10
Croatia - 7/19/2002 8:32:57 AM   
VictorH

Are there a lot of wargamers in Croatia? How about some of the other Balkan Country's?

Post #: 11
- 7/19/2002 9:23:26 AM   
Raverdave

All that I could really understand was the 96% I take it that that was what it was rated out of 100?????

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 12
Re: Rave reviews in exotic languages... - 7/19/2002 3:03:09 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oleg Mastruko
[B]http://www.bug.hr/ - this is the website of the magazine I'm working for, mainstream computer magazine, circulation 35.000, largest computer magazine in Croatia, being sold in neighboring countries too (in all of ex-Yugoslavia). For the next few days link to UV review is going to be on the top of this page.

http://www.bug.hr/master/rec/ - this is sub-site of my magazine's site, devoted specifically to games. Some (just SOME) of the game reviews from the paper magazine get posted on the web in their shortened versions. (We don't want to compromise the sales of our paper magazine :o)

Finally:

http://www.bug.hr/master/rec/valor/ - this is direct link to UV review that I (as magazine's "wargaming editor") wrote. Mind you, this is just a shortened version of the full-size review from the "paper" magazine. It was NOT written specifically for the web (even the pictures are taken from our DTP guys, after being prepared for the print so they look a bit blueish to me).

All this won't probably mean much to anyone here, due to the fact that the review is written in Croatian, but at least the final mark should be understandable to all.

Oleg [/B][/QUOTE]

I love the part that say "93%" :D. Too bad I can´t understand the rest.

[QUOTE](even the pictures are taken from our DTP guys, after being prepared for the print so they look a bit blueish to me). [/QUOTE]

I assume they converted them to CMYK (looks like it). However, if you attach a color profile to the files (e.g. US Web coated) and then export them to RGB, you have the correct colors again. That´s what I do to give the boss print previews he can have a look at on the monitor and that also come very near to the final print result.

Post #: 13
- 7/23/2002 3:55:22 AM   
Unadak

Just got my September 2002 PCGamer issue today (July 22), and the reviewer (William R. Trotter) gave UV a 89%! :)

Post #: 14
- 7/24/2002 11:00:41 AM   
David Heath

Hi Guys

Games Domain has another good review of Uncommon Valor.

http://gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/jul02/valor.html

Post #: 15
- 7/24/2002 10:27:47 PM   
David Heath

Here is another good review from IGN on UV.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/365/365674p1.html

Post #: 16
PC Gamer - 7/26/2002 10:52:24 PM   
Forrest37

I immediately ordered UV after reading the PC Gamer review...unfortunately it is coming UPS Ground and eta is the 29th......should have sprung for the 3 day air:(

While not disgruntled he was far from gruntled....

Post #: 17
Re: Reviews of Uncommon Valor - 7/27/2002 5:33:54 PM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
Game Zone -
http://www.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r20213.htm
[/QUOTE]

Where in UV is the first Gamezone screenshot taken? It looks like a first-person shooter to me. :eek:

Post #: 18
Re: PC Gamer - 7/28/2002 7:47:12 AM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Forrest37
[B]I immediately ordered UV after reading the PC Gamer review...unfortunately it is coming UPS Ground and eta is the 29th......should have sprung for the 3 day air:( [/B][/QUOTE]

You are gona love it!

Welcome to the board, always good to see fresh fish....er I mean new people:)

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 19
- 7/29/2002 4:24:25 AM   
Caltone

Computer Gaming World gave UV 3 out of 5 stars in the current issue.

I'm not sure the reviewer even played it much. Seems his only complaint was having to look after assets in Australia while playing a short campain. I'm not sure why this is an issue but I haven't played the small campaigns. I would think if its a short campaign you would just ignore any units you didn't need.

Overall a positive review with some hints for even bigger and better things for WITP.

Post #: 20
Eagerly awaiting game - 8/3/2002 1:44:22 AM   
NZTrooper

Hiya everyone .. 1st post :eek:

well after reading the great reviews here and on some of the gaming sites i ran to the BOSS (ie wife ) and got the credit card and promptly ordered from vortigen site in australia (anyone else use them ?? )
**:mad: mutters something about having to beg for his own **** credit card and she will pay :mad: **
am now camping at letter box listening for the sound of the postie with that golden little box of joy
Looking forward to pbem games once ive got some exp see ya all out there

Post #: 21
Re: PC Gamer - 8/3/2002 8:48:22 AM   
Matt Erickson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Forrest37
[B]I immediately ordered UV after reading the PC Gamer review...unfortunately it is coming UPS Ground and eta is the 29th......should have sprung for the 3 day air:( [/B][/QUOTE]

me too:D but I DID spring for three day air should be here soon
the games domain review convinced me too buy...another game i might suggest that is really GOOD is "airborne assault red devils over arnhem:cool: one of the best games I have purchased in a long time:D

Post #: 22
Re: Eagerly awaiting game - 8/3/2002 9:40:34 AM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NZTrooper
[B]
Looking forward to pbem games once ive got some exp see ya all out there [/B][/QUOTE]

I am more than happy to be "used" as a learning tool of a PBEM;)
Drop me a line when you are ready.

Post #: 23
- 8/8/2002 9:56:16 AM   
Drongo

[QUOTE]well after reading the great reviews here and on some of the gaming sites i ran to the BOSS (ie wife ) and got the credit card and promptly ordered from vortigen site in australia (anyone else use them ?? ) [/QUOTE]

I used vortigen for UV. Took about a week from the time I ordered.

Patience, grasshopper!

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

Post #: 24
- 8/14/2002 10:09:42 AM   
David Heath

The Wargamer posted a "Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific", stating "Uncommon Valor is a spectacular operational level wargame that provides players with an unparalleled level of depth"

You can grab the link from our links section or by going to http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/uncommon_valor
\

Post #: 25
Pelit -magazine 8/2002 gives UV 92/100 points - 8/15/2002 9:25:17 PM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

Finnish [url=www.pelit.fi]Pelit[/url] -magazine gives UV 92/100 points in its four page review (!). English summary says:

"Uncommon Valor (Matrix Games/2by3 Games) Back to the old not-so-good days when men were made of steel and strategy games were only for hardcore players. Unfortunately, today strategy games are much easier to play. Matrix shows uncommon valor while publishing this hc-strategists' dream-come-true.

[COLOR=blue]Points for strategists: 92 (out of 100)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]For human beings: 80"[/COLOR]

Don't ask why they think it's unfortunate that games are easier to use these days... probably just a mistake.

Post #: 26
Re: Pelit -magazine 8/2002 gives UV 92/100 points - 8/15/2002 11:49:20 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tuomas Seijavuori
[B]Finnish [url=www.pelit.fi]Pelit[/url] -magazine gives UV 92/100 points in its four page review (!). English summary says:

"Uncommon Valor (Matrix Games/2by3 Games) Back to the old not-so-good days when men were made of steel and strategy games were only for hardcore players. Unfortunately, today strategy games are much easier to play. Matrix shows uncommon valor while publishing this hc-strategists' dream-come-true.

[COLOR=blue]Points for strategists: 92 (out of 100)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]For human beings: 80"[/COLOR]

Don't ask why they think it's unfortunate that games are easier to use these days... probably just a mistake. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi,

is there a link or is it "just" a magazine review. I went to their website but my finish is a bit rusty ;)

Post #: 27
lol - 8/16/2002 12:40:20 AM   
Shaun Wallace

[QUOTE]finish is a bit rusty [/QUOTE]

Ditto ;)

Sulla

Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
----------------------
http://www.closecombat.org/csoforums/portal.php

Post #: 28
Re: Re: Pelit -magazine 8/2002 gives UV 92/100 points - 8/16/2002 1:52:51 PM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]is there a link or is it "just" a magazine review. I went to their website but my finish is a bit rusty ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Both. But the online version of the review is for subscribers only. Log in and you will able to read it online too. If I'll be having an exceptionally boring day today, I may translate a couple of short quotes in the spirit of "fair use".

Post #: 29
Re: Re: Re: Pelit -magazine 8/2002 gives UV 92/100 points - 8/20/2002 3:26:58 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tuomas Seijavuori
[B]

Both. But the online version of the review is for subscribers only. Log in and you will able to read it online too. If I'll be having an exceptionally boring day today, I may translate a couple of short quotes in the spirit of "fair use". [/B][/QUOTE]

Much appreciated !

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Reviews of Uncommon Valor Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI