Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/25/2002 12:53:28 AM   
U2

Hi Mogami

You're getting no round 2 from me!:)
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 31
- 6/25/2002 3:24:28 PM   
U2

Hi

Not many turns were played since yesterdays massive battle. We also have another game going were I am the IJN so we were quite exchausted.
Mogami is however pounding PM quite good and an invasion will surely come within 7 days:( My hopes for stopping this from happening is not good. Rough road ahead. Update will come as soon as we play more turns.

This is my 300th post. I still remember posting my 1st and how I did not want to make a fool out of myself. Too late for that now:D

Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 32
:) - 6/25/2002 4:13:17 PM   
Rob Roberson

grats on 300!

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 33
Re: :) - 6/25/2002 4:15:23 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rob Roberson
[B]grats on 300! [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Rob. Now go to bed and get some sleep!:)
301st!
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 34
Dual AAR - 6/26/2002 3:14:49 AM   
mogami

Greetings, Today has been a pretty good day for me in both games. As Japan I have sank 2 US CV and I think PM airbase is close to being shut down. Now I need to transport enough troops to achive a 2-1 ratio with out them being caught by the remaining US CV or a surface group.

As the US I have managed to turn scenario 17 into scenario 16.
I have not seen the turn yet (downloading now) But Dan tells me I sank 2 CV and 1 CVL 2 days ago He says I sank 1 CV. If so I have managed to get my Midway result. I had 2 CV damaged in first battle don't know yet what status of my remaing CV is. (But I have at least 1 fresh since it is still in port.
This means I can most likely hold PM. B-17s from there have started bombing Rabauls airfield at night.
Heavy loss of transports have to be made good and then a target for invasion decided on (Dan has many bases built in Solomons all the way out to San Cristabol) IHQ will no doubt send him replacment ships so there will be a long road ahead but at least phase one (getting parity or better with enemy CV) has been accomplished. Both games are in early July. SO by August everything should be in place to begin the march north.
There are 8 IJN CV (5 remain)and a load of CVL there still needs to be at least one more CV battle somewhere down the road.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 35
- 6/26/2002 3:23:59 AM   
U2

Hi

The bad news reported by Mogami is indeed true:( I have managed to screw up all of my CV battles which I dont gett at all. But this is a part of the game which one must accept. In my heart I know my IJN game is lost but I will die with honor and in my USN game I have had a setback (the CV battle) but have enough strenght for a possible victory. However IF I even loose 1-2 more CVs that battle is lost too. If my CV battles continue as previously reported I have allready lost both games. Perhaps you can notice that my morale.......wait, morale is non existent at my HQ in Sweden:)

Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 36
Victory - 6/26/2002 4:53:13 AM   
mogami

If you can dream but not make dreams your master,
if you can think and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with triumph and disaster,
and treat those two imposters just the same

Hi, One of the nicer things about wargames is we get to do it again. Some time in the future everything will be back to the starting point only we will have learned things. The next game may or may not be a repeat of the last but there is always still another game. Trying to find where we make mistakes or how to plan ahead is part of the enjoyment for me. I have 3 games running now where I am Japan. Using the same basic plan in all three I have 3 widely differant situations. In my game with Eric my position is scrambled eggs. I have nothing anywhere and IHQ does not seem to hear me calling for help. (Late July and I have 1 CV and 1 CVL I have sent BB's back to Japan trying to get my commitment down enough for Tokyo to release a few CV (there are 6 CV and 4 CVL sitting in Japan).
UV is just a chess game wearing historical cloths. I am working on openings. In wargames or chess there are those who are technocrats and those who consider themselves "artists"
The artist has to deal with a hostile partner since the opponent has to offer a challange requiring invention. The technocrat matches his pieces against opposing pieces just enough to insure their success but never risks a doubtfull result.
Personally I don't care about the outcome of games. I certainly make the attempt to come out ahead but what I really enjoy is the period while the game is taking place where everything is still unknown and you have to try to make sense out of mysterious moves by your opponent. The little world frozen in time where the outside world has no meaning and the unreal becomes the object for thought and consumes your time while you try to bring order or understanding to your condition. Japan's position is pretty hopeless from the start but there is that slight chance.
Every time we choose to play Japan it is because we would rather risk the probale defeat for a chance at the remarkable victory.
Since it is a game and we will repeat the experiment in the future. After a poor result or defeat the game becomes one where the effort rather then the amazing victory becomes one of learning and strengthing skill in defense. The skill thus aquired will be usefull in future games. I'm unable to verbalize what I am thinking. Only don't let your good morale be bothered by bad results in one game. (or a hundred) The games do not matter once they are over. And every situation that may develop (good or bad) is interesting and presents oppurtunity for learning and
those little suprise unexpected victories after things have been against you are much more satisfying then the overwhelming material ones. When you are behind you have to perform at your best since you no longer have any slack.

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 37
- 6/26/2002 5:02:30 AM   
U2

Hi

I have learned much in my games for sure. I am wishing on a mircale that migth come and change everything. You just never know in UV. My morale will be fixed with some sleep. Phew....what a day.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 38
- 6/26/2002 5:16:10 AM   
U2

Hi

This will sound very stupid but perhaps now I know how the IJN felt after Midway. UV is just too good:) These emotions becomes even stronger while playing against a human. I learn new things about UV everyday and that has never happened before and I am still as excited about the game as on the day I gott it.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 39
Re: Relax - 6/26/2002 5:28:54 AM   
silkworm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]Hi, Dan nothing to worry about. The Fleet Kite flying contest is being held at Rabaul and every ship has at least one entry.
The Army has several Kite Flying contests of their own (the Army and Navy don't like to play together) So the 2nd Division and 38th Division are having their own, they want to go play with the 35th 65th 21st Mixed Brigades so thats why all the transports, but the transport crews of course don't want to go since they are in the Navy Kite Flying Contest. It got really bad when the Army fighter groups buzzed the Navy Kites so the Navy Air groups are mad and planning revenge. In the midst of all this confusion I am unable to attack you right now. So now would be a good time to put all airgroups on stand down and have all ships in port repairing system damage. [/B][/QUOTE]

ROFL!! :D :D

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 40
- 6/26/2002 5:46:21 AM   
silkworm

Dan -- it's great that this game lets us taste these emotions, or in MacArthur's words, "we have known the bitterness of defeat and the exultation of triumph, and from both we know there can be no turning back". Kudos to you for fighting on with honor.

I have two relatively fast games going (Mogami's is slowing down. Mogami?), and two very slow ones (mostly me). My worst taste of defeat yet has been the pointless loss of a light carrier and five cruisers, all against U2. At one point I felt so despirited I wasn't planning future moves with the same competence.. But thanks to U2's good sportsmanship, I played on. The capture of PM is well within sights now.. :)

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 41
- 6/26/2002 5:50:47 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silkworm
[B]Dan -- it's great that this game lets us taste these emotions, or in MacArthur's words, "we have known the bitterness of defeat and the exultation of triumph, and from both we know there's no turning back". Kudos to you for fighting on with honor.

I have two relatively fast games going (Mogami's is slowing down. Mogami?), and two very slow ones (mostly me). My worst taste of defeat yet has been the pointless loss of a light carrier and five cruisers, all against U2. At one point I felt so despirited I wasn't planning future moves with the same competence.. But thanks to U2's good sportsmanship, I played on. The capture of PM is well within sights now.. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey what can I say. I'm a swell guy. We all have our ups and downs but I will fight to the death! Thanks for the kind words and if you take PM (which you will do) may I tell you my friend and to the people of New Guinea that I shall return!:D :)

What Mogami said about winning or loosing is quite true. If he and I play lets say 10 more games and I loose them all that is of no importance really. Its about having a good time (with my ups and downs:) ) I actually never thought of it that way prior to reading Mogami's post. Growing as a human while playing UV?:)

Good night people and enjoy!
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 42
Silkworm - 6/26/2002 7:35:01 PM   
mogami

Hi, If my game with SW is slowing down it is because I am waiting on a turn.

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 43
Hi - 6/26/2002 8:01:43 PM   
U2

Hi

The last days has seen continued 60-70+ raids from Rabaul and 100+ raids from CVs against PM. No invasion fleet sighted yet but it is imminent. The CV battle left me in no position to help my isolated Aussie friends. They must fight to the last bullet. I expect nothing less from them. Anti-American jokes can be heard among the 20,000+ Australian soldiers and personel based at PM now left on their own by their American allies.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 44
- 6/26/2002 10:20:29 PM   
silkworm

U2 -- are you playing Mogami with subdoctrine on? could it be possible to reinforce by sea? I've found getting those engineer vehicles, radar, and 40mm AA in by sea (fast transport or slow) helps a lot with keeping PM alive. When pressed, I strip the fighters from my carriers to defend PM, and hide my carriers (in a non obvious place!)

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 45
- 6/26/2002 10:30:38 PM   
U2

[B]U2 -- are you playing Mogami with subdoctrine on? could it be possible to reinforce by sea? I've found getting those engineer vehicles, radar, and 40mm AA in by sea (fast transport or slow) helps a lot with keeping PM alive. When pressed, I strip the fighters from my carriers to defend PM, and hide my carriers (in a non obvious place!) [/B][/QUOTE]

The engineers and AA guns were airlifted into PM ages ago. I dont think my fighters could have helped much. Only a CV victory would have saved the day.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 46
- 6/26/2002 10:34:04 PM   
silkworm

I was never able to airlift the vehicles (20 vehicles counts as 100 engineer squads!) or the heavy 40 mm AA which reaches above 5000 feet. I think radar also increases your CAP numbers pretty dramatically.

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 47
- 6/26/2002 10:36:10 PM   
U2

Hi

They came with ships. I did not mention that.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 48
- 6/26/2002 10:37:01 PM   
silkworm

The only reason Japan could win the air battle is by using his carrier planes in the airfield duel. In my tests I've found if the allies returns in kind, and gets the proper support in, Japan can't win the duel with PM.

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 49
- 6/26/2002 10:46:57 PM   
U2

Hi

In my games against Silkworm, Gus Waters (I'll get you some day!:) ) and Mogami I have made FATAL errors in my defence of PM. No excuse just stupid! Thank God my other 5(!) PBEM games are going much better. This must be the crash course in defending PM. Must read for everyone. Learn from my mistakes.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 50
- 6/26/2002 11:21:12 PM   
U2

Hi

BUT I must ad that all three of these players have been VERY good in dealing with PM. They are not winning just because of me. Next time I might do better but its gonna be tough again.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 51
PM falls - 6/27/2002 5:27:59 PM   
mogami

Greetings, On 12 July 1942 the IJA 2nd Infantry Division captured Port Moresby. Attention can now be given to the long negleted Solomons

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 52
Re: PM falls - 6/27/2002 5:46:09 PM   
U2

[B]Greetings, On 12 July 1942 the IJA 2nd Infantry Division captured Port Moresby. Attention can now be given to the long negleted Solomons [/B][/QUOTE

Hi

All I can do is to confirm this bad news. Long neglected defences in Australia and the bases around Nomuea is now my main concern. Will only fight a defensive battle from now on. Only a naval victory and new A/C units can make me reconsider. To defend is actually what I like best.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 53
- 6/27/2002 10:40:18 PM   
silkworm

can we have an update on planes/ships lost so far?

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 54
- 6/27/2002 10:42:01 PM   
U2

[B]can we have an update on planes/ships lost so far? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi

I will work on that. BUT I can only report the sinkings that are official to me (Mogamis ships). Should have an update later today on this.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 55
- 6/27/2002 11:22:52 PM   
U2

Hi

This is the info Silkworm requested.

Please note that this is what I know has been sunk. The rest will show up eventually.

20/7 1942
Mogami's losses
1 TK
1 SS
1 PC
3 MSW
2 DD
2 CL
5 CA
1 AV
10 AP
1 BB (not official but Mogami said so earlier in a post)

Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 56
- 6/27/2002 11:45:32 PM   
U2

Hi folks

For the first time while playing UV opponents have taken PM. It will be extremely interesting to see how three different players will move on from here. Invasion of Australia? Nomuea and its surroundig bases? I dont know and its killing me:D
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 57
Also - 6/27/2002 11:53:12 PM   
mogami

Hi, Dan you can add 2 CV and 2 CVL returned to Japan after having their airgroups removed to combine with remaining Carriers (200 carrier aircraft lost)(450 Japanese AC lost in Battle for PM)

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 58
Re: Also - 6/28/2002 12:03:34 AM   
U2

[B]Hi, Dan you can add 2 CV and 2 CVL returned to Japan after having their airgroups removed to combine with remaining Carriers (200 carrier aircraft lost)(450 Japanese AC lost in Battle for PM) [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi

I had forgotten about your heavy A/C losses. I do hope that this will give me some kind of edge in coming air battles that will drag on for a long time.
Dan

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 59
Allied ships lost - 6/28/2002 12:25:56 AM   
mogami

Greetings As of 22 July 1942 the Japanese believe the following ships type and numbers have been sank

CV x 2 (Lex and YT)
CA x 2
DD x 2
SS x 6
MSW x 1
AP x 7

We assess the score to be
Japanese 7354
Allies 3901

In the other game
USN report IJN has lost

CV x 3 Akagi, Soryu, Zuikaku
CVL x 1 Shoho
CA x 1
CL x 1
DD x 4
SS x 3
AP x 7

score reported as
Japan 5631
Allies 4913

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI