Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cape Cod Marathon Success!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Cape Cod Marathon Success!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/28/2009 1:45:15 PM   
Paul Vebber

Despit the angst of my Win 7 upgrade knocking my computer into next week (toshiba nvidia video driver doesn't work ... so I'm stuck in 1024x768 VGA mode ;( I got out to Falmouth Sunday for the Cape Cod Marathon. THe weather was perfect = partly cloudy and 52 at race start and pushed 60 by the end with light but ocaasional gusty winds. THe trees were near peak color and sread over the top of some of the two lane roads we ran up and down (and up and down and up and down - there were WAY more hills than I thought there would be.

I started pacing with a guy from IL at about the 4 mile point who had run the full Newport marathon the week before in his effort to be a 50 states marathoner (at least 1 in each state). I had un the half as a tune up run and weather was TERRIBLE - 40 degrees in a raging Nor-easter! RAin/sleet and gusts to 40 mph! I had 4 layers on and was still a bit shilled - I could not believe the people in just shorts a tshirt and a wind shell. THey all were blue and literaaly suffereing from exposure waiting for the buses. Several Marathoners were taken off the course suffering exposure symptoms.

Arnie and I were keeping a bout a 9:30/mile pace for about 2 hours chatting and keeping each others spirits up until about mile 16 when I thought he passed me at a drink station and I tried to catch him - when in reality he was behind me! Duhhhhoooo! A very steep hill in mile 18 took a lot out of me and handed me my first taste of adversity - dropping over 11min that mile. I would not call it a wall, as I got back under 10:30, but could not get backunder 10min. I still felt pretty good.

Mile 22 had some more hills and I had towalk about a thid of one (my only other walking was at drink stations - according to my trainiing watch I walked about 5 min of the whole thing. Another 'gracefull degradation" began and my times fell off into the 12s. at teh 25 mile point you could start to here the cheers of a few hundred people at the finish and that really got my spirits up but my legs were noodles at that that point and just would not push. The last 1.2 mile took me nearly 18 mins - walking would have been faster! But I wanted to look good at the end and I got the last bit of glycogen out the last 150 yards and nearly a guy ahead of me who was fading worse than I. It was really cool as with the small field (under 1000) the finish line announcer annonced everybodys name and town as they came to the finish line. The guy ahead of me heard me coming and finshed 5 secs ahead of me!

My time was 4hours 41min 45secs!

I had a really great first marathon experience and know I can do better! I'll be working to break 4:30 in the spring at the Providence Marathon!
WOOOT!!!

I was 560 out of 791 finishers and 109 of 133 in my age group. Considering this race has a LOT of experienced runners I'm VERY happy with my time!

http://www.capecodmarathon.com/result-09-all.ccml

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 10/28/2009 1:47:07 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/28/2009 3:42:58 PM   
Joshuatree

Yep here's proof: 560 109/133 Paul Vebber M4049 Portsmouth, RI 4:41:45 4:41:45 10:45

>>when I thought he passed me at a drink station and I tried to catch him - when in reality he was behind me! Duhhhhoooo<< Now that's funny, didn't you hear him shouting and cussing?

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
RE: Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/28/2009 4:55:23 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well done Paul. You are the guy that lost a load of weight a couple of years ago right? Still stayed off I guess?

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 3
RE: Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/28/2009 9:15:30 PM   
wworld7

Congrats on your success!!!

What's next, the Matrix marathon?

Flipper

Post #: 4
RE: Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/28/2009 11:10:39 PM   
06 Maestro

You have some great motivation there. I'm hard pressed to ride the Nordic Track for 1/2 an hour.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 5
RE: Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/29/2009 12:42:22 PM   
Paul Vebber

quote:

Well done Paul. You are the guy that lost a load of weight a couple of years ago right? Still stayed off I guess?

Yes, put about 15 back on this summer training (running 30-40 miles a week makes you hungrey ;) Still under 200 though!! Gonna work my way back down to 185 over the winter for another marathon try in the spring with a bit less beer residue around the ole waist ;)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/29/2009 1:43:31 PM   
JudgeDredd

well...bloody well done and good luck.

Post #: 7
RE: Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/29/2009 2:12:57 PM   
killroyishere

I'm proud of you Paul I can't even run to the refridgerator anymore without getting winded.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/29/2009 3:12:32 PM   
Marc von Martial

Congrats Paul! I know it just feels good

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 9
RE: Cape Cod Marathon Success!! - 10/29/2009 3:12:59 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

I'm proud of you Paul I can't even run to the refridgerator anymore without getting winded.

Time to do something then

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Cape Cod Marathon Success!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI