Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/2/2009 5:44:55 PM   
Mike Solli

Good point.  I still haven't made a decision about them.  Fortunately, I can't do anything until I get the turn back from Ted, so I can still ponder.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 91
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/2/2009 6:00:16 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Mike,

I've been sending supply to China too, I want to make sure there is plenty there to replenish weakened LCU's, especially the survivors of the Ichang debacle! I've been sending to Shanghai, or directly up the river to the cities I think are called Wuchang and Haichow respectively, what ever those two are S.E. of Ichang, and see if that helps.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 92
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/2/2009 6:02:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Question #1 for the masses:  Try to hold Ichang or give it up?  In our WitP PBEM, Ted pushed me out of Ichang early on.  I'm still debating what to do.  I think he is going to try and take it again.  Assuming this, do I reinforce or withdraw (or do nothing).  Also, should I suck supply there?  I think there is something in the vicinity of 3k supply there.

Question #2:  What do you guys think of an air assault of the Philippines (in addition to the normal sea invasion)?  I've done it in the past.  Not sure if I'd gain anything by doing that.  If I do it on Turn 1, I can be sure there will be little or no enemy fighter opposition.

Ichang isn't very useful in the end. Giving it up wouldn't bother me.

Para Drop on the PI? I think it would be most useful to drop on Altimonaon or one of those bases so you can ride the rails up from Legaspi, if you land there. But I wouldn't land there; I would prefer to land right on Altimonaon anyway and forget a landing at Legaspi.

I split the 2 para SNLFs in Taiwan to air assault three N. Luzon bases on turn 1 in my 2 PBEMs.

Aparri and two others nearby (no map-at work). I wanted to do this to decrease early fatigue / disruption to the amphibious landing forces due Aparri et al. and allow THEM to prep deeper into Luzon. I think this has the added benefit of turning out allied lights early. Without recon, they don't have a picture as to the IJA effort or size of force in N. Luzon if you feed in your main assault forces after the base has already changed hands.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 93
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/2/2009 6:06:44 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I split the 2 para SNLFs in Taiwan to air assault three N. Luzon bases on turn 1 in my 2 PBEMs.

Aparri and two others nearby (no map-at work). I wanted to do this to decrease early fatigue / disruption to the amphibious landing forces due Aparri et al. and allow THEM to prep deeper into Luzon. I think this has the added benefit of turning out allied lights early. Without recon, they don't have a picture as to the IJA effort or size of force in N. Luzon if you feed in your main assault forces after the base has already changed hands.

Very nice idea Chickenboy. I like your comments on eliminating Allied intel.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 94
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/2/2009 6:09:02 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Mike,

I've been sending supply to China too, I want to make sure there is plenty there to replenish weakened LCU's, especially the survivors of the Ichang debacle! I've been sending to Shanghai, or directly up the river to the cities I think are called Wuchang and Haichow respectively, what ever those two are S.E. of Ichang, and see if that helps.

I've read somewhere else about shipping supply up that river. I haven't thought of doing that (probably because of so many years playing WitP). Gotta try and get this old brain to remember to do that.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 95
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/2/2009 7:06:41 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Mike,

I've read somewhere else about shipping supply up that river. I haven't thought of doing that (probably because of so many years playing WitP). Gotta try and get this old brain to remember to do that.

I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I've been using xAKLs to haul resources from cities up this river where they pool. The larger xAKs might not make it, but the smaller draft vessels will.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 96
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 12:31:27 AM   
Mike Solli

Well, the turn is finally off to my esteemed opponent. I expect to run it later today.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 97
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 1:16:05 AM   
Chickenboy

Mike,

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but are there any acknowledged OOB issues that will require a de novo restart (including the entirety of IJ turn one) or are you totally good to go with patch II on board?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 98
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 1:18:44 AM   
Mike Solli

I'm fine with it. Whatever doesn't work we'll live without. If there is anything, I don't think it'll be significant. I'm just happy to be done with the turn and have it off. Now I can't wait to get it back so I can run it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 99
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 4:04:41 AM   
Mike Solli

Well, it was a wonderful PH attack. I don't like to post the replay, but here's a snippet of it:

Midget Sub attack inside harbor of Pearl Harbor!!!

Japanese Ships
SSX Ha-19, hits 6, heavy damage

Allied Ships
PC Taney
BB California, Torpedo hits 1 Banzai!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 6 destroyed, 58 damaged
D3A1 Val: 6 destroyed, 39 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Warhawk: 3 destroyed on ground
B-18A Bolo: 3 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed on ground
P-36A Mohawk: 2 destroyed on ground
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground
PBY-5 Catalina: 6 destroyed on ground
SBD-1 Dauntless: 2 destroyed on ground
A-20A Havoc: 2 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 5, and is sunk
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 2, Torpedo hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
BB California, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk - Magazine explosion!
DD Case, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Jarvis, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DM Preble
DD Reid, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AV Wright, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires Massive explosive damage!
DD Bagley, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
SS Tautog, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AE Mauna Loa, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA San Francisco, Torpedo hits 1
DD Schley, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Allen, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AV Curtiss, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

I'll give more analysis tomorrow. One little picture to tide you over. How's this for rush hour?!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 100
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 8:56:09 AM   
Smeulders

That is a lot of ships.

Pearl looked pretty good, not much damage to the cruisers, but for the rest very good.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 101
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 11:14:57 AM   
LoBaron

I guess most of them are running to their rally points? How many bases do you use as such Mike?

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 102
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 12:03:31 PM   
fabertong

Nice to see you underway .........I like your PH results better than mine!

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 103
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 1:18:31 PM   
ny59giants

27 torpedo hits on his BBs. Not bad at all!! And it looks like a few will be in need of shipyard time for close to 1000 days.

Instead of having the pushers in the Tokyo subways to get the people in the cars, you used them to push the ships out of the harbors.

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 104
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 2:24:22 PM   
Q-Ball

I like Chickenboy's idea of a Para Drop turn 1 on Northern Luzon. Why didn't I think of that?

I would quit while you're ahead on Pearl Harbor. Round 2 is alot more costly in planes, and doesn't do much in terms of damage. It would be nice to sink one or two more, but I think you can consider all 8 BBs off the board for 1942 at least, and probably into '43.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 105
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 2:55:11 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

That is a lot of ships.

Pearl looked pretty good, not much damage to the cruisers, but for the rest very good.

I'm hoping the Phoenix went down but didn't see that in the sunk ships report. That report did show the PoW as being sunk. With one torp hit, I rather doubt it.

My goal was to sink DDs. I did get 3, which is 2 more than I expected. The SS was a bonus (which really makes no difference) and the BBs turned out well with 2 sunk, another that may sink and the rest out for a good while (as ny59 giants and Q-Ball both mentioned).

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 106
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 3:00:05 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

I guess most of them are running to their rally points? How many bases do you use as such Mike?

Here's my theoretical plan for resource movement to Honshu:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 107
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 4:01:23 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Hi Mike,

You may find your transport allotment to Port Arthur on the small side, In my game it's December 30th and Port Arthur has 500,000+ resources, they accumulate there quite quickly, especially if you siphon off all the 10k+ resource ports around it and use it as a hub. Also fuel is there in abundance, careful not to take too much oil, I did and industry is short right now. Glad you are underway!

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 108
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 4:05:41 PM   
Mike Solli

Q-Ball, I'm not sticking around PH for another attack.  I'm very cautious with my IJN pilots.  KB is off to Wake, a 3 day trip.  After that, Kwajalein.  I think that it's better not to kill a bunch of the US pre-war BBs.  Let them tie up repair yards for a year or so.

I didn't have much time last night to check things out, but I did notice that Tokyo had 999,999 resources and 997,999 oil.  I had put all the spare AKs in Tokyo in a TF to load resources so that wouldn't happen (I did the same at Osaka).  It obviously didn't work, so I am sending all the extra AKs from the area to Tokyo to load up on resources in the next day or two.  There's a defecit of 82.6k resources a day at Tokyo so I hope the amount on hand drops between that and the loading AKs. 

Here's an overview of what happened in various places on the map:

Hong Kong

Bettys flying out of Formosa sank the Thracian for no loss.  Those 3 (now 2) DDs there can be a pain in the butt.  Hopefully, they'll be neutralized tomorrow.

Some light bombers hit the airfield destroying a Walrus on the ground.  Not worth the effort.  They'll switch to ground bombing tomorrow.

Malaya

This theater started off pretty well.  18 Zeros had a sweep mission and found 18 Buffalos patrolling over Singapore.  All 18 Zeros went home after shooting down 7 Buffalos.  Banzai!

Ted kept the PoW and Repulse sitting in Singapore harbor.  A couple of raids cost us 4 Bettys for 1 torpedo hit on the PoW.  I expect Force Z to flee tomorrow.  Just in case, I'm forming a double row of subs south of Kota Bahru (or Kuantan, which ever is farther south) to try and intercept Force Z should they try something stupid.  The 22 Air Flotilla (in Indochina) will remain on naval attack (just shy of Singapore this time) to get them should they move NE.

There were various attacks by both of us that cost the following (in addition to the Singapore sweep):

4x Blenheim Is shot down
1x Blenheim I destroyed on ground

1x Japanese xAK torpedoed (30 flot damage) at Patani dropping off an infantry battalion.  She should make it assuming she doesn't get hit again.

We did damage to various Allied airfields.  Some of the bombers will bomb Kota Bahru ground forces tomorrow and the rest will continue to bomb airfields.

We landed on Kota Bahru.

Philippines

All Japanese missions were anti-airfield missions with the following losses:

2x P-26 shot down
1x B-17D destroyed on ground
4x O-47A destroyed on ground (what's an O-47A anyway??)
3x P-35A destroyed on ground
6x P-40B destroyed on ground

Clark field was trashed.  No Japanese losses.

I wanted to do a faber and do an air assault on northern Luzon but forgot.

The invasion forces (Aparri, Vigan, Lingayan and that base midway up the southern peninsula) are enroute.

SE Fleet

Invasion forces are enroute to the Admiralty Islands and Kavieng.

4th Fleet

The Wake invasion force from Kwajalein (SNLF and NG) are puttering north.  They will hit in ~3 days, along with KB and the 4 Furutakas for bombardment support.

A NG is headed for Makin.

Other stuff

Guam was invaded with the SNLF that was destined for Batan Island.

Batan Island was invaded with the support unit that was destined for there.  I'll base some fighters there after I take it.

An Infantry Brigade attacked Pengpu, ousting a Chinese Corps.  We took 50 casualties to 995 Chinese casualties.

Concerning paratroops, the 1st Raiding Unit is moving by air to Shanghai from Japan.  It will leapfrog west to Indochina to spearhead the invasion of Pt. Blair.  One of the SNLFs is being air transported west to Indochina (from Formosa) to support the Pt. Blair assault (or possibly Malaya).  The other SNLF is remaining in Formosa.  I may consider an air assault in the Philippines.  I'll make that decision after I look things over tonight.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 109
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 4:09:33 PM   
Smeulders

quote:

Malaya
This theater started off pretty well.  18 Zeros had a sweep mission and found 18 Buffalos patrolling over Singapore.  All 18 Zeros went home after shooting down 7 Buffalos.  Banzai!

I'm actually quite happy reading this. In my game buffaloes are falling from the sky at an alarming rate as well, glad to see it wasn't due to my incompetence, but rather the incompetence of the airplane designers.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 110
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 4:16:57 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

Hi Mike,

You may find your transport allotment to Port Arthur on the small side, In my game it's December 30th and Port Arthur has 500,000+ resources, they accumulate there quite quickly, especially if you siphon off all the 10k+ resource ports around it and use it as a hub. Also fuel is there in abundance, careful not to take too much oil, I did and industry is short right now. Glad you are underway!

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on that. For the C/M/K, I just sent some xAKs to each of the big ports. That's the least "scientific" of all the convoys.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 111
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 4:18:14 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

quote:

Malaya

I'm actually quite happy reading this. In my game buffaloes are falling from the sky at an alarming rate as well, glad to see it wasn't due to my incompetence, but rather the incompetence of the airplane designers.

My fighters were sweeping at 15k feet. The Buffalos appeared at anywhere between 10k and 18k feet.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 112
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/9/2009 9:24:39 PM   
Mike Solli

I need to make notes about what I want to say.  I keep forgetting stuff.....

KB went in with all TBs set to port attack, all DBs set to airfield attack and 3 F to escort, 2 to sweep and 1 to airfield attack.  I'm very pleased with the result.  TBs are the ship killers.  Four of the 6 TB daitai went in with torpedoes.  The 800 kg bombs can make a satisfying boom and can do massive damage to ship as well as the torpedoes.  I chose to have all the DBs hit the airfield because their bombs will often bounce off a BB hide.  Why waste all those lovely bombs?  The only down side of all those daitai using torpedoes is that some of my carriers are already low on torpedoes in their holds.  For example, the Akagi has only 15 torpedoes remaining.  I'm keeping the TBs set to use torpedoes just in case Ted sends his CVs on the charge of the light brigade.   They'll replenish their torpedoes at Truk.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 113
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/10/2009 1:28:09 AM   
bklooste

Another strike on PH may be worth it ( just move sw but still in range for morning strike) , you hit very few planes.. I think you got 6 Catalinas historically they got 70 thats a lot of eyes gone. Just dont use many of the Kates they are the most valuable. And probably the best chance to kill some more allied Pilots with zero sweeps they are only going to come back later with better planes.

Removed about Yamato being brought forward in patch

Lastly this is not WITP you will need massive Naval and ShipYards , the Japanese historically ( despite allied bombing) built more tons in 44 than the rest fo the war together in AE you need to upgrade your yards to match history. Build the yards use for quick repairs and convert to merchant later.

< Message edited by bklooste -- 12/10/2009 2:29:04 PM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 114
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/10/2009 1:47:58 AM   
erstad

quote:

Build the yards use for quick repairs and convert to merchant later.

You can convert from naval shipyards to merchant and vice versa. However, repair shipyards are different.

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 115
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/10/2009 8:02:27 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

Build the yards use for quick repairs and convert to merchant later.

You can convert from naval shipyards to merchant and vice versa. However, repair shipyards are different.

Mike knows that converting is a waste of supplies, cause you have to rebuild them again (they revert to damaged) - which is a small gripe of mine, but there you go, why would you waste supplies rebuilding after conversion rather than just expanding ?

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 116
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/10/2009 2:30:09 PM   
bklooste

Fair point ...that just means you need to build Naval yards in 41-42 AND Merchs in 42-44.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 117
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/10/2009 6:40:23 PM   
Mike Solli

I haven't decided on the expansion of naval and/or merchant shipyards yet.  I sent the turn back to Ted last night so I'll probably have a day or so to play with things.  I shut off the Yamato, Musashi and Shinano just to see what I have to play with for naval points.  That's also to start with a pool.  It appears that I'll start with a surplus of merchant points.  I'll figure that out next turn also.

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 118
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/10/2009 6:52:48 PM   
Mike Solli

Ted's comment on the PH attack:

"Battleship Row got beaten like a rented mule this time."

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 119
RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 - 12/10/2009 8:53:00 PM   
Cuttlefish

Good luck! Your preparation has been impressive and now all of it gets put to use. The attack at Pearl looks like a good start. I'll be following this one closely.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI