Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's the best Virus protection program?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What's the best Virus protection program? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/4/2009 10:59:04 PM   
LarryP

I have used many virus programs and am currently using AVG. However, I am tired of AVG's persistent naggings of version upgrades as they usually are worse than the last. I'm not being cheap, these are free upgrades. This one is definitely worse, and after trying it I went back to 8.5. The newest one beats the heck out of my hard drive all the time and I won't have it. It's too bad I have AVG on three computers here, and all for a year more to go with paid subscriptions. Oh well.

Also, I have had several issues that AVG never caught through the years of using it. I believe it is a highly over rated program.

So, any good suggestions?
Post #: 1
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/4/2009 11:04:07 PM   
JudgeDredd

Avast - and it's free and non intrusive...though if you leave your computer on at night, you better turn the sound off - "Virus database has updated!"

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 2
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/4/2009 11:12:36 PM   
milkweg

I've used all of the free ones and for gamers I find the lightest on resources is Avira. It also gets high ratings for detection of virii too but sometimes detects false positives, as they all tend to do. Seriously, if you want free, good and light on resources then get Avira. One other minor issue is that it sometimes takes a bit long getting updates due to server overload so I try to update it at odd hours when it is not so busy.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/4/2009 11:13:29 PM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Avast - and it's free and non intrusive...though if you leave your computer on at night, you better turn the sound off - "Virus database has updated!"

There is an option to turn that off. Avast is my second best pick.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/4/2009 11:42:19 PM   
LarryP

It doesn't have to be free, but free is nice. I don't mind paying for a good product, but I am tired of intrusive pop-ups begging to upgrade when the upgrade is free but crummy. Plus, I have auto update unselected! I am also tired of having the Resident Shield turned OFF and still having it beat up my drive.

McAfee and Norton are out of the question as they are the worst for intrusiveness. I should have stated this in my first post

OK on Avast and Avira so far. Thank you. I will check these out now.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/4/2009 11:47:11 PM   
killroyishere

There is one that Computer Shopper recommended that you pay for and it starts with a K but darn if I can remember the name of it right now. Do a google for anti virus products and it will probably show up. Here I did it for you Kaspersky is the name.
http://www.kaspersky.com/

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 6
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/4/2009 11:50:42 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg

I've used all of the free ones and for gamers I find the lightest on resources is Avira. It also gets high ratings for detection of virii too but sometimes detects false positives, as they all tend to do. Seriously, if you want free, good and light on resources then get Avira. One other minor issue is that it sometimes takes a bit long getting updates due to server overload so I try to update it at odd hours when it is not so busy.

For those false positives, I go to VirScan.org and it checks the file with 37 virus programs. That really whittles it down to the truth. I never take a virus program at it's word anymore. I double check it at this site. I've had many false positives and had programs not work anymore because AVG put them into the virus vault. Then for some stupid reason AVG says it can't get it back out. So hence the VirScan site.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 7
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 12:05:00 AM   
NefariousKoel

Been using Avast.

I tried Avira, once, awhile back but it had huge annoying popups asking me to upgrade from free to full version and I didn't bother to dig and find out if I could disable them.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 8
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 1:15:03 AM   
junk2drive

We just went through all of this a month ago. Most people recommended Avast.

Now I am using Firefox on Ubuntu (linux), no av at all.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 9
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 2:03:33 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Been using Avast.

I tried Avira, once, awhile back but it had huge annoying popups asking me to upgrade from free to full version and I didn't bother to dig and find out if I could disable them.

quote:

(

Avast is winning so far. Popups don't live long in our home.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 10
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 2:05:52 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

We just went through all of this a month ago. Most people recommended Avast.

I should have looked back in the older threads. My bad.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 11
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 2:25:58 AM   
junk2drive

I tried searching to post links for you but it sucked. It all started when Adam got hit by the wargamer banner hack in August.

I use Avast on my XP install and my wife's computer. Free and no promblems.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 12
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 2:35:51 AM   
LarryP

Do you Avast users run the Resident shield? In AVG it dogs my PC's to a crawl, so I have always disabled it.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 13
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 2:54:42 AM   
junk2drive

Yes, it's always on and protected me from the virus that Adam got. I got a popup that day stating that avast had stopped a redirect from a malicious website. Good enough for me to leave it on.

And it doesn't hog resources on this old machine.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 11/5/2009 2:55:23 AM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 14
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 4:12:44 AM   
LarryP

quote:

I tried searching to post links for you but it sucked. It all started when Adam got hit by the wargamer banner hack in August.

I use Avast on my XP install and my wife's computer. Free and no promblems.

That's right, I remember when Wargamer got hit and I read some posts here.

I have had the resident shield on tonight and played a game for quite a while and no problems yet. Avast sure has a lot of options to choose from. That's nice. So far I like it lots, but heck, this is the first night.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 15
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 4:21:51 AM   
junk2drive

quote:

So far I like it lots, but heck, this is the first night.

I think I said that about my wife 38 years ago.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 16
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 3:06:11 PM   
LarryP

quote:

quote:

So far I like it lots, but heck, this is the first night.

I think I said that about my wife 38 years ago.

I set myself up for that one!

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 17
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 3:23:52 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well when i got popped last couple months ago with this new rig, i couldnt even format my HD argh!. So i got a new pc from cyberpc, inc and pretty good bought it from newegg.com. Anyway i tried alot of options trying to get around this without having to buy anything. So i contact microsoft and see why i cant format my drive or reinstall my Vista, took like four days swapping infos around and send me a full copy of Win Vista SP1 64-bit for free i was saying wtf lol. Anyway on microsoft site grab Essential Security, really help alot for me. Window Defender doesnt help much and Ccleaner or AVG doesnt do much either. So if you happy with those softwares, then stick with it.

Rising

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 18
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 3:52:23 PM   
Nikademus

When i built my current rig last year it came with a 2009 copy of Kaspersky Anti Virus. Up till that point the only AV i'd liked was Computer Associates as it was non-intrusive, easy on resources and easy to turn off during times for max preformance. I found Kaspersky to also be good. Updates are painless, its not a resource hog and its even easier to turn off when you need too. the 2010 version is Windows 7 64bit friendly and I plan to pick it up soon, having just upgraded to that OS.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 19
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/5/2009 4:59:29 PM   
parusski

I have found three that have given me the best real time/virus/worm...protection. They are are all free.

Microsoft Security Essentials(works great at real time and finding dangerous files, get it here- http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Malwarebytes-Great at detecting malicious software(there is a version to buy, but the only benefit it offers is auto updates of database. You can surely do that manually, I do. Get it here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Avast-it works well, I agree with JudgeDredd on this one. Get it here: http://www.avast.com/

I use all three, they are not very resource hungry and do not degrade performance.

Also, never forget Windows Defender.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 20
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/6/2009 1:14:05 AM   
Adam Parker

Here's the thread Junk was speaking about!

Link

There's an awesome post from GoodGuy at the end full of tips.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 21
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/6/2009 2:26:46 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Here's the thread Junk was speaking about!

Link

There's an awesome post from GoodGuy at the end full of tips.

Thanks Adam, cousin Adam I should say. I will print out that post from GoodGuy. Excellent information for every PC user concerned with fighting these pesky problems.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 22
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/6/2009 2:33:25 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Microsoft Security Essentials(works great at real time and finding dangerous files, get it here- http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Malwarebytes-Great at detecting malicious software(there is a version to buy, but the only benefit it offers is auto updates of database. You can surely do that manually, I do. Get it here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Avast-it works well, I agree with JudgeDredd on this one. Get it here: http://www.avast.com/

I use all three, they are not very resource hungry and do not degrade performance.

Also, never forget Windows Defender.

Microsoft has the habit of taking away users options. Like making decisions for the user instead of giving a choice. Most of their software is like that for me. Is MS Essentials really that good?

Avast is working great, but is very slow on scanning files in comparison to AVG. It sure has a lot of options though which I like.

I also am using Malwarebytes which I give credit to you for. Thank you. I was using RemoveIt! but had so many false positives every time I used it that I gave up on that. Malwarebytes seems like a good tool.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 23
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/6/2009 7:25:58 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Wow, thanks "sruthy" that's so insightful. And tell me, how's the market for Chevy Silverado wheel bearings these days ?

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Post #: 24
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/6/2009 8:02:30 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Wow, thanks "sruthy" that's so insightful. And tell me, how's the market for Chevy Silverado wheel bearings these days ?

Am I losing my mind? Where did his post go?! I swear it was here this morning!

Good answer by the way... ROFLMAO!

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 25
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/6/2009 8:12:59 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Yeah, it was removed only in the last 30 minutes.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 26
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/6/2009 9:41:46 PM   
JamesM

Do not get McAfee, I used to use it.  Too many issues with it and also McAfee decided to automatically renew my subscription without warning.  So I had to immediately contact their support and get them to refund me the money, exactly how much I get back will depend on the exchange rate at the time of initiating the refund.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 27
RE: What's the best Virus protection program? - 11/6/2009 9:57:46 PM   
LarryP

McAfee is not even on the list of possibilities. Every PC I have bought has come with that worthless leech of garbage. To entirely remove it, it just about takes a reformat. It's amazing how that program hangs on. The opposite of user friendly too. It kind of reminds me of one particular US president, but I'm not saying who.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What's the best Virus protection program? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI