Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Getting those crews back in their vehicles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Getting those crews back in their vehicles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting those crews back in their vehicles - 11/9/2000 9:16:00 PM   
GrinningDwarf

I've had a problem getting crews back into their abandoned AFVs. They abondoned it and stayed in the same hex with the vehicle. I've rallied them there (supression is 1 or 2) and now the status line says they are "1 crew, Ready", but when I order them back into their AFV, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. What am I missing? This is critical for the scenario I'm playing! Dead Panthers, MkIVs and Tigers all around but more coming in all the time! I gotta get those crews back into those M36s!!! (GEEZ-O-PETE...this is an awsome game!)

Sergeant to new replacements on the line: I may not have time to tell you to duck, but if you see me dive for the ground you might want to think about why I'm doing it.
Post #: 1
- 11/9/2000 10:06:00 PM   
Warhorse

Well, about all you can do is let them in the same hex with the vehicle, and make sure they don't get further suppression, or get fired on at all. Depending on their morale, etc., they should eventually re-enter. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to GrinningDwarf)
Post #: 2
- 11/9/2000 11:00:00 PM   
David F. Wall

Try having 'em pop smoke. That might improve their chances of staying out from under fire long enough to climb back in. DFW

Post #: 3
- 11/10/2000 1:13:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

Does anyone know if it makes any difference if the crew has taken casualties. I have had reduced crews get back into tanks (they don't seem to have their abilities degraded.) I'm curious if the losses make it more difficult for the unit to reduce seppression.

Target, Cease Fire !

Post #: 4
- 11/10/2000 1:52:00 AM   
BlitzSS

What I have noticed is that while losses make for higher suppression rates, which makes it more difficult to rally back, once this unit re-gathers its composer and climbs back in the tank it doesn’t seem to have reduced capabilities. In other words two men can operate, and even get Special Op Fire, a tank as well as an original crew of five. However, this degraded crew seems to break somewhat easier then it did originally. I wish I was privy to the source code cause that is the only way I could fully (if that)understand how it functions.

"Nuts"

Post #: 5
- 11/10/2000 1:53:00 AM   
Tommy

GD, I noticed that you said "when I order them back into their AFV". How did you order them? I only know of the 9 bailout key. Tommy

Post #: 6
- 11/10/2000 2:17:00 AM   
GrinningDwarf

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy: GD, I noticed that you said "when I order them back into their AFV". How did you order them? I only know of the 9 bailout key. Tommy
The same way I order squads to load into halftracks... 1. Click on the crew 2. Click on the 'load/unload' icon 3. When the load/unload screen comes up, click on the vehicle I want them to load into. (Of course, you could use hot keys for this stuff, too. And you have to be ordering them into an abandoned vehicle, not a destroyed vehicle. I've gotten crews back into abandoned AFV only to discover the AFV was immobilized, but, HEY....it's a gun back in action! One of my crews scored six kills from a tracked Sherman.) Like I said...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Thanks for all of the help so far! Keep the ideas comin'! I'm gonna try 'em all! I look forward to seein' y'all when I get comfortable enough with the system to look up human oponents! [This message has been edited by GrinningDwarf (edited November 09, 2000).]

Sergeant to new replacements on the line: I may not have time to tell you to duck, but if you see me dive for the ground you might want to think about why I'm doing it.

Post #: 7
- 11/10/2000 9:50:00 PM   
GrinningDwarf

Thanks for all the help! Poppin' smoke seemed to help significantly. Here's what I've noticed so far: Sometimes crews will jump right into the AFV. If they do, the vehicle is immediately operational...they can move and fire right away. Sometimes I'll order the crew into the AFV and nothing happens. Then at the begining of my next turn, the crew will be in the AFV, but the AFV is immobilized. (Hey! It's still got a gun!) Sometimes I'll order the crew into the abandoned AFV and nothing will ever happen. I wonder what the rub is here? It would be nice if the crew could tell from the outside if a vehicle is immobilized or not. Then maybe they could look for a more fully functional vehicle. (BTW...the desperate sitution turned into a draw...and I consider myself lucky!!)

Post #: 8
- 11/11/2000 1:11:00 AM   
BlitzSS

I know that crews will only re-establish with the unit that they abandoned. Many times I've wished that a crew would know how to do more then one task or even drive the same type of tank but they won't. The battle can get real confusing and it can be difficult to get the right crews back to their same vehicle or gun.

"Nuts"

Post #: 9
- 11/11/2000 1:58:00 AM   
GrinningDwarf

Ahh-HAA! That could be a great portion of my problem.

Post #: 10
- 11/11/2000 4:46:00 AM   
Windo von Paene

Well Dwarf, I think that "Loading" the crew ONTO the tank is not what you want to be doing. If they are in the same hex as their tank, they will decide whether or not to get back in. Using the "Load" function would be useless at best, and counterproductive at worst, as infantry on tanks is more vulnerable to taking casualties. Although if the tank were abandonded it can't be shot at. Or did they change that in the last patch? Anyway, just let them sit there and don't try to "Load" them. Smoke is a good idea though.

Post #: 11
- 11/11/2000 6:22:00 AM   
GrinningDwarf

quote:

Originally posted by Windo von Paene: Well Dwarf, I think that "Loading" the crew ONTO the tank is not what you want to be doing. If they are in the same hex as their tank, they will decide whether or not to get back in. Using the "Load" function would be useless at best, and counterproductive at worst, as infantry on tanks is more vulnerable to taking casualties. Although if the tank were abandonded it can't be shot at. Or did they change that in the last patch? Anyway, just let them sit there and don't try to "Load" them. Smoke is a good idea though.
I don't think I've ever had a crew get back into an AFV unless I've ordered them to with the load order. Y'know...except for when I told then to load up, they didn't immediately, and then manned the AFV at the begining of my next turn. But then why would other crews jump into an abandoned AFV immediately when I order them to? And the AFV was ready to go with no delay...they could move and shoot right when the crew jumped in. I'm just playing the version 3.whatever that came on the CD. [This message has been edited by GrinningDwarf (edited November 10, 2000).]

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Getting those crews back in their vehicles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI