Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crash Thread...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Crash Thread... Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crash Thread... - 6/22/2002 9:43:06 AM   
Erik Rutins

Folks, we'd like to make sure we investigate and fix every remaining crash problem now that 1.11 is out. For that, we'll need your help and cooperation to see what is still causing problems. Please make sure you're running 1.11 and have had the crash under 1.11 before you report a crash. Make sure you've also gone through the FAQ posted in this forum. With that said...

If you're still experiencing crashes of any kind with UV 1.11, post in this thread all relevant info. I'd like to also ask that anyone experiencing crashes try doubling or tripling your virtual memory setting and see if the crashes continue. I'm guessing based on some saves I've received that there may be a few situations where UV is causing an increase in memory usage that may be crashing some machines.

In any case, please help me by keeping any crash reports to this thread and verifying that the crashes are happening in 1.11. Thanks, I hope that with the next major patch we'll be able to address any remaining crashes.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
Not Braging - 6/22/2002 10:48:38 AM   
Point Luck

I don't know if this will help any but I've been runing the game now for two weeks (estimate 80 hours game play) I've ran all three REV's 1.00, 1.10 and now 1.11. I runing on a Pent III machine nothing supped up basic II machine and I'm using windows XP (cough) I haven't had a single crash or problem with the game. I've been following the crash reports begining to feel left out (just joking) I just thought you might want some info on a no crash scenario

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
- 6/22/2002 9:08:44 PM   
worr

Erik, you got my saved game already.

Since I have 256MEG RAM.....you still think that is the problem?

Worr, out

Post #: 3
Click o death. often, way too often. - 6/23/2002 12:00:10 AM   
rhohltjr

Erik, I posted this under the old thread 'click and crash to desktop' I am trying to smile through this as it is a magnificent game. Like you need one more accolade huh? I know there is a solution to this. I will go check my virtual memory and ....
is there a way to set virtual memory that UV would use sort of like the shortcut setup the guys over at navalwarfare.org(in Fleet Command) where you tell it to use "-100" and it will set that aside?????

Trouble is game is so addicting, I forget to save every so often and just as soon as something good happens and I click around,
whamo!!! Back to the desktop I go.

============================
Game is very stable as long as I don't click. Huh? Don't click?
How can I not click? Now have the 1.11 patch and worst beating has been my own trackball / mouse. Tried switching from USB to PS2 connection but still cannot shake Saburo CCTD.

Homegrown PC, 400Mhz PII, 192 RAM, Win98. Computer riddled with 20mm CTD holes and smoking badly. Likely will have to hit silk soon.
=================================

Post #: 4
Oh yeah. - 6/23/2002 12:07:26 AM   
rhohltjr

More info is better.

Homegrown PC, 400Mhz PII, 192 RAM, Win98,

Gladiac Ultra 64 vid card, and all drivers current

DirectX 8.1

Help me..... help meee......!!!!1

Post #: 5
- 6/23/2002 1:44:25 AM   
Hartmann

Erik, shouldn't this thread be made sticky?

Hartmann

Post #: 6
V 1.11 crashing every turn - 6/23/2002 4:15:58 AM   
Sid

I have installed v. 1.10 and 1.11 upgrades. I am running a campaign and it crashes almost every day. I have an AMD-K62350 with 128 mb and i t has not had trouble running v. 1.0.

We have tested 1.11 on some Intel processors without problems.

I have uninstalled, removed references from the registry, and reinstalled, with no impact: t he problem remains and the frequency remains about 1 time per game turn.

The file is attached.

Attachment (1)

Sid

Post #: 7
scenario hands after one year - 6/23/2002 4:25:13 AM   
Sid

My first campaign went well until I tried an unorganized invasion of northern Australia. I got hurt badly, by an enemy without a navy to speak of. But I did take Cooktown. On the turn it falls, the game hangs, every time I run it. I can load and try any orders I like, but the game just starts to process the end orders phase and hangs forever, without locking the computer.

This seems to be related to automatic victory conditions for taking Cooktown after 1 January 1943.

The file is attached.

Attachment (1)

Sid

Post #: 8
Question... - 6/23/2002 6:04:00 AM   
Erik Rutins

Have you gone through our troubleshooting FAQ at all to make sure your system is squared away? Thanks for the save, any instructions on how to duplicate the crash?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
Re: Oh yeah. - 6/23/2002 11:04:15 AM   
rhohltjr

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rhohltjr
[B]More info is better.

Homegrown PC, 400Mhz PII, 192 RAM, Win98,

Gladiac Ultra 64 vid card, and all drivers current

DirectX 8.1

Help me..... help meee......!!!!1 [/B][/QUOTE]

I started getting the click of death CTDs right from the get go.
So this was not just introduced with a patch.

Thanks again....:confused:

Post #: 10
A confession - 6/24/2002 6:08:31 PM   
Recon_slith

I have found out that what I thought was a crash was actually a screensaver cutting in, which has the effect of putting the game on the toolbar (as if you had ALT/TABbed it). The saver went off as soon as this happened so it looked like a crash to desktop.

None of my other games showed any inclination to cut out like this so I got used to leaving it on. The moral is - screensavers off when playing UV.

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

Post #: 11
Patch 1.11 crashes everytime I go through aerial strafing - 6/27/2002 11:26:22 AM   
Japanese Ace

You've probably heard about this before, but after installing patch 1.11 while playing scenario 3 Milne Bay campaign as the jap player, the Allied AI during its aerial bombardment once it began to strafe my base with its bombers immediately crashed and returned me to the UV game menu. On another note, I'm having problems with my jap subs, I sent them on a patrol to an allied naval base with allied ships but for three turns neither side engaged in sub combat, is this normal, if not what should I do to get some combat results. As requested in your subject thread I have all the recent drivers and Direct 8.0. My system is a Dell Dimension 4100 Pentium III, 128 ram, 975 MB, with a Crest soundblaster WDM and NVDIA TNT-2 M64 4xGP sound card. Can anyone help me.

Note; when running the saved game file don't forget to only activate the American AI.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
- 6/28/2002 12:07:24 AM   
Nixuebrig

In one of my PBM games UV crashes alway when the allies attack Buna( I am the Jap). P39 and P40s strafe (no bombers)and the last message before the crash is: Browning hits, belt armor penetration.

Got an Athlon 1,4 Ghz, WinMe 512RAM and a geforce 2MX graphic card.

Greg

Post #: 13
- 6/28/2002 8:03:40 AM   
Admiral DadMan

I run UV on 2 Desktops that have never crashed, an HP Pavillion with 500 Athlon 256MB and a Compaq Presario 450 Pentium with 32MB. Both are W98 and neither have crashed (but man is that Compaq dog slow).

My most frequent crashes happen on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280 laptop running W98se with a PIII 500 and 64MB RAM. I have stipped down the boot-up procedure to the bone, and still it happens.

My crashes are most frequent when completing the save game process, or loading a saved game after using the quit from inside a game.

I can tell it's going to happen when my harddrive starts becoming more and more active, and then I start hearing doubles of the "click" sound. It's almost as if there's a leak or something. I thought it was because I was moving too fast and getting ahead, but even slowmotion, it still happens after about 5 turns.

I doesn't matter whether it's a fresh game, or a continued old game.

It's not a CTD, but more of either a freeze, or a loop (either the clicking or the bell sounds). In either event, I'm forced to reset (warm re-boot) to free it.

Then of course I go right back to playing :D

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 14
idea - 6/28/2002 10:08:09 PM   
rhohltjr

Erik, for those of us plagued with CTDs still, would it help to turn on system monitoring ? That magical utility we bought from William Gates.
If so what would be the most likely areas of the system to monitor while playing UV?

Free memory? Page swapping? CPU % . Just throwing out ideas Erik.

Thanks,
Robert Hohlt, Jr.

Post #: 15
- 6/29/2002 7:04:53 AM   
ladner

Just got the game this week. Was able to play/observe tutorial in computer vs. computer play using UV 1.0. After reading up on patch improvements downloaded both 1.10 and 1.11. Game continuously crashes. Either generates a windows protection fault, followed by the always lovely blue screen of death. Other crash game locks-up, no mouse yet music/sound continues to play. My system specification from DXDialog is following :

Time of this report: 6/28/2002, 22:17:31
Machine name: OEMComputer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows ME (4.90, Build 3000)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
System Model: MS-6330
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PGN
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1000MHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 62MB used, 1730MB available
Primary File System: FAT32
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)
DX Setup Parameters: /PackageInstall
DxDiag Version: 4.08.01.0881 32bit

please help!

Note to Tech Support I have even followed your adivice and updated my video and sound card drivers. Initially the game seemed stable, but still ended up crashing. I am unsure if the crash is even related to click crash bug stated on the forums.

Post #: 16
Any further news on how to correct aerial straffing cra... - 7/1/2002 10:00:50 PM   
Japanese Ace

Eric Rutkin, I posted on June 27 as requested a detailed explanation on the UV crash I've been experiencing everytime the AI or myself carrys out an aerial straffing. I attached a copy of the save game to assit your diagnosis but I haven't seen any response to my problem or similar ones mentioned here or other threads. Are you folks addressing the problem, if so when can I expect a response, I'm hopping this will be address in a subsequent patch. Could the problem be as a result of patch 1.10 or 1.11 ?

Post #: 17
CRASH - 7/3/2002 8:27:11 AM   
AP514

Hi I have been CRASHING since day one :((

I have been reading the post and possible fixes.
OK I have 1.11 instaled also installed all the updated drivers. Note I reinstalled 8.1 LAST to make sure the other installed drivers were not out of date compared to the newer 8.1 DX drivers.

I just read about increaseing the Virtual Memory...question? I had mine set to let windows 98 determine the amount of memory. I just manually set the V.memory to 200megs is that enough ?? How much should be set for windows 98 ??

P.S. have not crashed today.........and thats a GREAT SIGN.

P-3 500mhz 512 mem 32meg vipper 770 Video Creative-live sound win98 udated version (4.10 ??) Logitech optics mouse

Post #: 18
Re: CRASH - 7/3/2002 8:43:40 PM   
rhohltjr

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AP514
[B]Hi I have been CRASHING since day one :((

I have been reading the post and possible fixes.
OK I have 1.11 instaled also installed all the updated drivers. Note I reinstalled 8.1 LAST to make sure the other installed drivers were not out of date compared to the newer 8.1 DX drivers.

I just read about increaseing the Virtual Memory...question? I had mine set to let windows 98 determine the amount of memory. I just manually set the V.memory to 200megs is that enough ?? How much should be set for windows 98 ??

P.S. have not crashed today.........and thats a GREAT SIGN.

P-3 500mhz 512 mem 32meg vipper 770 Video Creative-live sound win98 udated version (4.10 ??) Logitech optics mouse [/B][/QUOTE]

I wonder if any of the 'official' guys are still monitoring this ? It would be great to kill that CTD problem I've had since day one.:cool:

Post #: 19
Be assured... - 7/4/2002 3:18:31 AM   
Erik Rutins

We are still monitoring everything. Information confinues to be gathered and 1.2 is still on track as a bug-fixing (particularly crash-fixing release).

Keep posting relevant info here if you still have crashes after updating to v1.11. Everyone who has already sent me or another Matrix staff person a save, no need to worry. We'll be in touch if we need more info.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 20
Re: Be assured... - 7/4/2002 3:37:31 AM   
rhohltjr

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik Rutins
[B]We are still monitoring everything. Information confinues to be gathered and 1.2 is still on track as a bug-fixing (particularly crash-fixing release).

Regards,

- Erik [/B][/QUOTE]

:D :D :D :D :D :cool:

Post #: 21
Re: Be assured... - 7/4/2002 3:38:01 AM   
Nixuebrig

[B]We are still monitoring everything. Information confinues to be gathered and 1.2 is still on track as a bug-fixing (particularly crash-fixing release).

Keep posting relevant info here if you still have crashes after updating to v1.11. Everyone who has already sent me or another Matrix staff person a save, no need to worry. We'll be in touch if we need more info.

Regards,

- Erik [/B][/QUOTE]

games works fine at my PC, except for P39s strafing my bases on New Guinea. The message is: .50 Browning hits, belt armor penetration and Crash. Guess the strafing is the reason for my crashes.

Post #: 22
CRASHED AGAIN - 7/5/2002 8:45:04 PM   
AP514

Hey
Well, I guess im not out of the woods yet. Crashed again today......Im sure it has to do with my mouse.......every time I have crashed is when my mouse is moving. I have a Logitech Optical mouse that is supposed to be USB but Im usung a Ps2 adapter. After each Crash besides the Dfix Windows runs I MUST defrgg or the game locks up 100% of the time.
I really like this game BUt it is testing my limits........Also the PBEM game is taking a hit bue to all the Crash delays.

HELP US PLEASE......................:(

Post #: 23
Re:CRASHED AGAIN - 7/6/2002 8:26:35 PM   
AP514

Hey
I forgot to say when the game crashes 100% of the time after it crashes the first time is right at the start up.....Cd starts to spin and screen goes blk with an hour glass.........thats is the next thing that hppens when game starts is you see the loading screen.......I hope this helps

If a fix does not come soon I will have to put another MATRIX game into the TRASH...............Matrix you guys are on your last chance with me.

AP514

Post #: 24
Response... - 7/6/2002 9:36:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

For those of you still experiencing crashes, monitoring your system activity (CPU, Memory Usage) is definitely helpful in knowing what might be going on.

Also, if you started experiencing crashes in 1.10 or 1.11, by all means uninstall and return to 1.00 for the time being to see if that helps. If you suspect a particular peripheral could be responsible, try unhooking it or temporarily hooking up a more standard substitute peripheral to see if the game gets along with it any better.

If you have a friend with some time and interest, bring your copy over there and give it a shot to make sure that your CD and/or the patch file you downloaded have not in some way been corrupted.

In the meantime, please be patient, we know it's frustrating. We're moving as fast as we can - you are the main mission for v1.2, fixing all remaining crash bugs and other key bugs we can find.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 25
Finally out of the woods - 7/7/2002 12:10:58 AM   
ladner

Erik,

May not be the best board ettiquette but I'm finally out of the woods with crash bug. It was necessary to download all new drivers. One driver in particular seemed to be the fix, if I can recall which device I will edit my post to pass that info on to others. Thanks for the support.

I've been derelict in updating this sorry guys.

I updated all of the drivers on my PC starting with the usual culprits the sound and video drivers. For sound driver I already had the most current driver for the SBLive Value, video I upgraded to the NVDIA Detonator driver, which covers multiple devices mine is GeForce2 Ultra. Initially I figured these are the usual suspects so no worries, wrong the game continued to crash. So after reading Erik's Crash FAQ I went through the process again and at least from my experience the "magic bullet" for my system was the VIA 4in1 driver. Since, I've made the updates the game has not crashed a single time. I strongly urge those who are still experiencing the crash bug to update all of the drivers, which I know is a pain.

Post #: 26
Crashes fixed... - 7/7/2002 2:39:08 AM   
Erik Rutins

Greg,

Good news! I'm very interested to hear which drivers you updated and what versions you updated to. If you know which specific driver helped you out, that would be very valuable.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 27
- 7/7/2002 4:46:36 AM   
Sparadicus

I am having similar problems as gfish22, except when mine locks up, the sound does not continue playing. In fact, it's the opposite. The first thing that happens to me is a sound effect stalls on it's first tone and continues on this single tone until I reboot (ussually having to hit the reset button). I usually can only play 2 to 4 turns before a crash. Also, when I am able to complete a game (using multiple reboots and saves) it ALWAYS locks up the same way when I try and launch a second scenario. Right when I hit the start scenario button (with the soild tone of the bell resulting).

My sound card is a Yamaha XG 64V and yes, I have the latest DirectX driver installed. I am a hard core gamer, playing numerous titles, and do not currently have crash problems with any other game.

Other system info - Pent III 500 Mhz, 128 SDRAM, 32 MB Diamond Viper V770D

I have been waiting a long time for this game. In my younger years, I played countless hours of the board game "Flattop" and the old PC game "Carrier Strike". I had high hopes that this would be the game I've been waiting for, and believe it will be, IF IT STOPS CRASHING. Please help.

Post #: 28
Re: Crashes fixed... - 7/7/2002 5:52:50 AM   
Nixuebrig

[B]Greg,

Good news! I'm very interested to hear which drivers you updated and what versions you updated to. If you know which specific driver helped you out, that would be very valuable.

Regards,

- Erik [/B][/QUOTE]
Unisntalled Direct X with Direct X Buster and Installed 8.1 new.

The only crash that occurs now are the P39s strafing. Starting Scen 17 i got the message Akagi hit by Browning and game runs on, but in an PBEM game starting in August(A hard road ahead) the message is Browning hits Belt armor(without a ship name) and then the game crashes. Guess it has something to do with the database, In scen 17 akagi is ship nr 1 in scen14 slot 1 for the ships is empty. I am sure that causes the crash.

Greg

Post #: 29
- 7/15/2002 3:16:21 PM   
Reiryc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sparadicus
[B]I am having similar problems as gfish22, except when mine locks up, the sound does not continue playing. In fact, it's the opposite. The first thing that happens to me is a sound effect stalls on it's first tone and continues on this single tone until I reboot (ussually having to hit the reset button). I usually can only play 2 to 4 turns before a crash. Also, when I am able to complete a game (using multiple reboots and saves) it ALWAYS locks up the same way when I try and launch a second scenario. Right when I hit the start scenario button (with the soild tone of the bell resulting).

My sound card is a Yamaha XG 64V and yes, I have the latest DirectX driver installed. I am a hard core gamer, playing numerous titles, and do not currently have crash problems with any other game.

Other system info - Pent III 500 Mhz, 128 SDRAM, 32 MB Diamond Viper V770D

I have been waiting a long time for this game. In my younger years, I played countless hours of the board game "Flattop" and the old PC game "Carrier Strike". I had high hopes that this would be the game I've been waiting for, and believe it will be, IF IT STOPS CRASHING. Please help. [/B][/QUOTE]

Try turning off all sounds in the game to see if you still crash.

Also go out and get the latest sound driver for your sound card, that may be the problem area.

Reiryc

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Crash Thread... Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI