Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/14/2009 9:57:35 PM   
Tormunda

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help!
I have a DCG for the northern campaign and am in Jan 42.
I have just finished my last turn and its the Russians last go. Their turn doesn't last long as their got butt kicked.

The issue.
When there turn ends, the game says time up, shows my victory score and as soon as I press OK to complete the mission, the client crashes.

So thats it. Im stuck. Can't carry on the campaign. - Can anyone help? I can send the save file to see if it can be fixed or something.

The only error I noticed during the scenario is that my character never turned up in reinforcements.

I am enjoying the game and would really like to carry on.
Post #: 1
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/14/2009 10:55:38 PM   
scottintacoma

Are you playing the Talonsoft version or the Matrix version?

(in reply to Tormunda)
Post #: 2
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/15/2009 12:09:36 AM   
Tormunda

Fully patched Matrix.

(in reply to scottintacoma)
Post #: 3
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/15/2009 12:43:18 AM   
scottintacoma

For your force selection did you use one of the Matrix orgs, or an original from Talonsoft?

(in reply to Tormunda)
Post #: 4
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/15/2009 12:53:36 AM   
Tormunda

Ummm How would I know the answer to that? :)

All I know is that it's been working fine for about 20 battles now. But now im stuck and can't continue :(

Post #: 5
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/15/2009 4:34:20 AM   
scottintacoma

When you start a DCG you are given a choice of units, some are now marked TS, and have all the old Talon Soft problems. I would guess that is what happened. Do you have any of the new units or orginizations with you? An example of that would be most Tank companys now have a t tank HQ plattoon.

(in reply to Tormunda)
Post #: 6
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/15/2009 11:38:00 AM   
Tormunda

I really hope that is not the problem!
I mean, 10 years of patches and £40 extra (As I already had EF and WF originals) to get a game thats just a broke as before (Well infact I got further than this in my original EF) would be a major letdown.
Why in all this time has no one actually fixed the original units or taken broken units out of the game so people cannot pick them?

If this is the case then some ideas on how to fix it would be nice.

I made a copy of the EF folder so I could try a few things.
I pressed restore character but that just made things worse, as it did not give an option for New battle and the current battle was blank.
Can I copy a working org into my save game?
Is there a way to abandon the current battle and go back to the New Battle option?

--------After some investigating----------
Ok, I have managed to find out that if I delete my .MAP and .CPN file, it gets me out of that battle and allows me to continue.
A few weeks time has gone forward and I got no reinforcements, but I can live with that for now. However,
my character isn't on the map!
This is a defend bridgehead. Normally I get my full defence on this one, inc character, right at the start. There are no scheduled reinforcements, so it looks like my not being on the map could be the issue here.

So, new question:
How do I get myself on the map?
If the game files are broken for this org, how do I alter them to get my character into them?

T.

< Message edited by Tormunda -- 11/15/2009 12:44:55 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/15/2009 12:53:08 PM   
scottintacoma

If you used an older TalonSoft org, you will need to start over, and make sure you use one of the Matrix Ors.

(in reply to Tormunda)
Post #: 8
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/15/2009 1:17:08 PM   
Warhorse

Tormunda,

If you like, please send me all 5 files of your DCG, and if you remember which unit you picked, that would be good. I'll try to see what's going on, I've modified alot of DCG's over the years, so I might be able to help after looking at it. Also, to make things easier to test out in the future for you, you might consider the free mod-swapping utility JSGME, I believe it's available in the first section of this forum, but if you can't find a link, just google JSGME and follow instructions!

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Tormunda)
Post #: 9
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/16/2009 8:03:31 AM   
Tormunda

Thank you Warhorse.
When I get home from work tonight (UK time here) i'll send the files that start with my characters name. (I gather those are the ones you need!)

I opened them up with notepad and they seem to be basic text files. I can see the bit that covers my character, scenarios, xp and date of the campaign. I wonder if that can be copied across to a different org?

I'll have a go at downloading that modding tool you listed and seeing if that helps.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 10
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/17/2009 12:05:05 AM   
Warhorse

Righto mate, see if I can help at all! Another fellow has also offered to take a peak, I have a few ideas, maybe one will help? Whatever happens, I'll let you know what I did, so you have a clue if/when this arises again?!

Nothing worse than a DCG you wrap your head into, only to have it dump out on you!

Notepad is your friend with this sort of thing, curiosity got you did it?!

If interested, I have a whole lot of editing documentation, I can try to put together a zip and throw it your way?

JSGME is very easy to use, and a must if you are the curious type!

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Tormunda)
Post #: 11
RE: Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG - 11/17/2009 8:32:48 AM   
Tormunda

Thank you Warhorse.
I sent you an e-mail :)

I also started a 2nd campaign with a Matrix org to see the difference in the files, should help me understand what the error is.
I don't mind modding it myself, i'm just a bit taken a back that if it is common knowledge the original orgs are broken, why hasn't someone fixed them

I must admit, I like the original orgs much better.
In that campaign im a Brigader-General and have Corp HQ's on the map... however I have less units than that of a Battalion Org with the matrix set-up. The matrix orgs are HUGE. I am sure I have more tanks on the map than the Germans actually had in 1941 and im serious! If you check up on how many of each model tank was in service in 1941 then the original orgs are much closer.
The battles are also much more tactical with the original org as you do not have the units to defend everything and facing down the t-34 threat is very challenging. With the new orgs I have so many units I can defend objectives and go on the offensive.
I like the fact that they have more commanders on the map, but if I can get to understand how to mod the org then i'll cut the whole thing by 50% to bring back the tactics of the original game.

T.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Client Crash - Eastern Front DCG Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI