Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: e-book readers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: e-book readers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: e-book readers - 12/3/2009 8:00:57 AM   
JudgeDredd

Sony "not tying you in"? Now that is just plain weird!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 31
RE: e-book readers - 12/3/2009 12:22:05 PM   
Hanal

Regarding the mention of established ebook stores, I would expect that Amazon's Kindle would have a larger assortment of books available because it has been on the market for a few years now.... the B & N ebook store should grow rapidly if the NOOK does well....

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 32
RE: e-book readers - 12/3/2009 1:14:34 PM   
dogancan

check this highly critical article about kindle: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/08/03/090803fa_fact_baker?currentPage=all

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 33
RE: e-book readers - 12/4/2009 3:34:03 AM   
mllange

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Regarding the mention of established ebook stores, I would expect that Amazon's Kindle would have a larger assortment of books available because it has been on the market for a few years now.... the B & N ebook store should grow rapidly if the NOOK does well....

The B&N Nook can display the opensource epub format, which is supported by a large, growing body of publishers. This alone will allow it to display more titles than the proprietary Kindle in very short order.

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 34
RE: e-book readers - 12/4/2009 5:17:09 AM   
RyanCrierie

I've been reading ebooks for years on my Palms (first a Palm III, then a Sony Clie, and now a Palm T/X); and I have to say that none of the ebook readers match the current T/X for speed of reading and flipping in bed. Their screen refresh rate is just too slow; they're hideously overpriced, and they read all kinds of proprietary formats; just once, I want a reader that reads straight up HTML!

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 35
RE: e-book readers - 12/4/2009 1:19:49 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: dogancan

check this highly critical article about kindle: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/08/03/090803fa_fact_baker?currentPage=all

A bit long but a good article. Funny and well written. Thanks for the link.

(in reply to dogancan)
Post #: 36
RE: e-book readers - 12/4/2009 8:20:37 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

just once, I want a reader that reads straight up HTML!

Have you tried installing Opera Mini? Technically, it's a web browser, but that means it can handle HTML.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 37
RE: e-book readers - 12/4/2009 11:21:15 PM   
dogancan

my pleasure...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

quote:

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 38
RE: e-book readers - 12/5/2009 12:41:23 PM   
milkweg

Are these eBook readers easier on the eyes than traditional books? With paperbacks they cram the text into as few pages as possible to keep their cost down (even if they do overcharge) and I find the text too small. Do eBooks solve this issue or is it the same default small size text? If they are easier to read than a paperback then that is the only way O would buy one because $300.00 for something that can only do books is not good value IMO because I can buy a Notebook PC for the same price, sometimes less.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 39
RE: e-book readers - 12/5/2009 1:23:08 PM   
nelmsm1

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg

Are these eBook readers easier on the eyes than traditional books? With paperbacks they cram the text into as few pages as possible to keep their cost down (even if they do overcharge) and I find the text too small. Do eBooks solve this issue or is it the same default small size text? If they are easier to read than a paperback then that is the only way O would buy one because $300.00 for something that can only do books is not good value IMO because I can buy a Notebook PC for the same price, sometimes less.

According the Kindle ad you can change the font size to any one of 6 sizes, some which looked pretty large to me.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 40
RE: e-book readers - 12/5/2009 2:02:50 PM   
Zakhal

I might buy one but they dont sell these in europe yet. Som problems with the rights of distributing electric books iirc. There are som 3rd hand readers but they are equally expensive but with lower quality and limited features.

Kindle deluxe is custome-designed for me specially. However I dont understand why I cant buy it yet. There must be som error.

Perhaps I should checkout the nuuk. Wish it had larger screen though.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/5/2009 2:05:52 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 41
RE: e-book readers - 12/5/2009 4:47:32 PM   
Waffenamt

I was able to d/l 100 free classic books from Sony when I bought my PRS-700. I haven't checked if that deal is still on, but it's a great incentive. I went digital half way through reading the paperback of Dan Simmond's Rise of Endymion and have never looked back. Many libraries also have diigtal offerings now too. Theere are lots of great digital books out there if you look around, and I prefer the pdf versions.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 42
RE: e-book readers - 12/6/2009 4:14:55 AM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: nelmsm

According the Kindle ad you can change the font size to any one of 6 sizes, some which looked pretty large to me.

Yes, but won't that make the text scroll off the sides so you have to scrol the screen left/right all the time?

I don't want Kindle anyway because it is proprietary and has no easy way to add books I download from the internet for free. The below eBooks made by Astak interest me far more and are cheaper than the Kindle and are not proprietary in any way. They can even do HTML, unlike Kindle and Sony. The prices you see are in Canadian. Only thing is I want the one that is almost 10" so I can make sure it is easy to read but the largest newegg is showing is 6" but I know that company makes a larger one.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ebook&x=17&y=32

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 43
RE: e-book readers - 12/6/2009 4:17:53 AM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nick Schieben

I was able to d/l 100 free classic books from Sony when I bought my PRS-700. I haven't checked if that deal is still on, but it's a great incentive. I went digital half way through reading the paperback of Dan Simmond's Rise of Endymion and have never looked back. Many libraries also have diigtal offerings now too. Theere are lots of great digital books out there if you look around, and I prefer the pdf versions.

I read that people tend to prefer the Sony PRS - 505S because on the 700 the extra layer needed for the touch screen makes the screen of poorer quality for reading. 505 is same size screen but is not touch screen and costs less. I can buy that one locally for $300.00 CAD but it does not do HTML either.

(in reply to Waffenamt)
Post #: 44
RE: e-book readers - 12/6/2009 6:19:32 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

I might buy one but they dont sell these in europe yet. Som problems with the rights of distributing electric books iirc. There are som 3rd hand readers but they are equally expensive but with lower quality and limited features.

Kindle deluxe is custome-designed for me specially. However I dont understand why I cant buy it yet. There must be som error.

Perhaps I should checkout the nuuk. Wish it had larger screen though.

You cannot purchase a Kindle because the wireless service does not work outside of the United States.
I have read some reports that buyers in southern Canada and northern Mexico have gotten theirs to work.
You also have to have a US billing address to pay for materials.
It is only a matter of time before a company takes advantage of the European market place for e-book readers. I would also have to think Scandinavia would be a prime canidate to receive the service.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 45
RE: e-book readers - 12/6/2009 6:25:22 AM   
Challerain

quote:

You cannot purchase a Kindle because the wireless service does not work outside of the United States.

The recently released an international version

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 46
RE: e-book readers - 12/6/2009 6:29:21 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Challerain

quote:

The recently released an international version

Well looks like someone did take advantage of the market place :D
Thanks for sharing this. Nice to know the device now has global coverage.

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 47
RE: e-book readers - 12/6/2009 7:41:15 AM   
Waffenamt

quote:

I read that people tend to prefer the Sony PRS - 505S because on the 700 the extra layer needed for the touch screen makes the screen of poorer quality for reading.

True, I've checked out the 505 and it's sharper, but I didn't find it to be a major issue. All books read just fine. I like the touch screen and I wasn't getting a Sony reader until one came out with the search function and it just happened to be that one at the time. From what I hear the newer ones don't have that issue with the touch screens now.

Regards

Post #: 48
RE: e-book readers - 12/6/2009 12:50:53 PM   
sullafelix

In answer to the availibility of obscure books. I found ones for my Sony reader for free from Google's book project that I would never have been able to afford. One in particular was a book about the Seleucids that the lowest I ever saw go for was $250.

(in reply to Waffenamt)
Post #: 49
RE: e-book readers - 12/6/2009 3:28:01 PM   
Hanal

How about magazine and newspapers which is touted as a feature....is there a specific website that allows you to acces these publications?

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 50
RE: e-book readers - 12/6/2009 4:04:50 PM   
Hertston

quote:

I read that people tend to prefer the Sony PRS - 505S because on the 700 the extra layer needed for the touch screen makes the screen of poorer quality for reading. 505 is same size screen but is not touch screen and costs less.

I prefer the 505, certainly. It's not so much the extra layer IMHO as the fact that touch screens just get greasy and dirty, which is the last thing you want on a book reader screen. They put that feature in as presumably the iPod and such lead customers to demand it but, honestly, the function of an e-book reader simply doesn't require it.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 51
RE: e-book readers - 12/7/2009 9:49:51 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram
quote:

quote:

Palm T/X

Ive been wondering about this for years now. What should I buy as ebook reader? My current smartphone screen is too small 2,6".

(1) Ebook reader. Cons: Grey text on grey background is too hard to read
(2) Handheld PC. Cons: Battery runs out. Screen still too small (4")?
(3) Small notebook like EEE-PC. Too heavy to hold? Too large to hold with keyboard? Gets "hot". Battery runs out.

There is no good alternative. They are all bad and expensive 300€+

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 52
RE: e-book readers - 12/7/2009 10:07:58 AM   
Zakhal

I think I have made my mind. Im going for the third option aka EEE-pc. If it doesnt work as a good ebook reader atleast the money isnt totally wasted.

Somthing like Panasonic Toughbook CF-19MK3 10.4" would be optimal for choice but its too expensive ~4000€. Ill have to find somthing else. Screensize around 10". Battery minimun 6 hours. Weight around 2kg max. Tablet-option too if its not too expensive.

EDIT:
Ok I found a winner. Asus Eee PC T91 8.9" LED/Atom Z520/1GB/32GB SSD/Windows 7 Home Premium. Its a table multi-touch eee-pc with screen bigger than on those ebooks. Battery is 5 hours so and so. If you can flip the ebooks 90 degrees then its superb. Cost 500€. Weight 0,96kg. Its fanless and cool. It gets warm only with hd-video.

quote:

Revolutionizing the world renowned Eee PC series, the Eee PC T91 delivers ultimate portability and simplicity with an easy-to-use touchscreen that enables user to effortlessly navigate applications and the Web at a press of a finger. As big as a paperback novel, the lightweight Eee PC T91 is the world’s smallest and slimmest touch PC. Plus, it boasts long-lasting battery life with the energy-efficient Intel Atom Z520 processor, exclusive ASUS Super Hybrid Engine, and LED-backlit display, so you’ll be able to easily bring the thin and light Eee PC T91 whenever and wherever you go.

The Eee PC T91 is built for ultimate mobile versatility. Conduct on-the-go meetings, read e-books comfortably in tablet mode, show-off your photo album to friends, or jot down some important notes using the stylus writing tool, whatever you choose to do the Eee PC T91 makes it easy. The preinstalled Touch Gate software makes surfing the Web, navigating through folders and accessing your favorite applications simple and time-saving. You also get easy, on-the-go access to your treasured data with a shock-resistant 16GB SSD hard drive, complimentary 16GB SD Card, and 20GB of Eee online Storage**. The Eee PC T91 is built from the ground up to be your multi-purpose, mobile companion for all your needs.
Ultimate Mobile Design

The 1-inch thick Eee PC T91 lets you easily take it around the classroom, to important work meetings, or just casual use at home. The sleekly designed bottom of the chassis makes it ideal for reading e-books while in tablet mode or navigating through your favorite websites. It also features an ergonomic and magnetic stylus so you can comfortably write on the touchscreen with ultimate precision.

My only concern is the 5 hour battery. I guess I just have to get used to wired book reading. Anyways I just ordered it!

Just for the record my alternative choice was android one: Acer Aspire One D250 / Atom N270 1.6GHz / 1GB / 160GB / Android + XP Home. Its cheaper but bigger and doesnt have the table-feature. Also it has mechanical harddisk which is not good for "book".

Those living in US should check this too: http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/ You can actually "remove" the screen(?) and use it separetly. It looks great too with 10+ hour battery life but I can find any reviews.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/7/2009 11:07:31 AM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 53
RE: e-book readers - 12/7/2009 12:34:04 PM   
Hanal

I have made up my mind as well.....I ordered a Barnes & Noble NOOK and will get it mid-January.......

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 54
RE: e-book readers - 12/7/2009 2:02:57 PM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I have read some reports that buyers in southern Canada and northern Mexico have gotten theirs to work.

It must work in Canada now because Amazon officially sells it here too now. I only know that because it was all over the news here when it became official.

Post #: 55
RE: e-book readers - 12/7/2009 2:10:58 PM   
milkweg

quote:

This is the first I read of this complaint but may be true. I'm goingto go to Futureshop and hold one in my hand and check it out before I buy one but I definitely would prefer eBook to small PC like device. I want it mainly for .pdf game manuals so I can read them while I play the game. That is something that has always made me angry since they went to .pdf manuals. It's very difficult to read a manual and remember what you read when the game is not running in front of you at the same time.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 56
RE: e-book readers - 12/7/2009 3:03:57 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

quote:

This is the first I read of this complaint but may be true. I'm goingto go to Futureshop and hold one in my hand and check it out before I buy one but I definitely would prefer eBook to small PC like device.

I have never seen it but have read som complaints about it. The link above was one.

I wouldnt use regular mini-pc as ebook reader but tablet one yes. You can turn T91M into a tablet that looks like a mini-pc without a keyboard. Its a bit like ebook reader except its heavier (960g > 530g kindle dx) and has less batterylife. However it does have big crispy multitouch led color display (8.9">6" most ebooks).

Ill propably buy ebook reader too later. Its just too hard to decide now what to buy. However I have always wanted a tablet pc.

quote:

I want it mainly for .pdf game manuals so I can read them while I play the game. That is something that has always made me angry since they went to .pdf manuals. It's very difficult to read a manual and remember what you read when the game is not running in front of you at the same time.

For manuals small pc is propably better since you can more easily do searches from the pdf. Ive noticed it very useful on one of my d&d sessions. Going through big pdf manuals you really need a good search function and a powerful enough platform to run the pdf fluently (possibly with big images).

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 57
RE: e-book readers - 12/7/2009 3:39:17 PM   
Zakhal

The regular kindle doesnt read pdf and nook is nowhere available in here yet so I have only two choices for ebook: Irex Illiad 2nd edition 8.1" 600€ and eSlick 6" for 300€. Im not sure irex is worth the price so Im turning towards the eslick which is said to be a great pdf-reader. It has a great "reflow"-function that I dont think other readers have.

EDIT:
Seems like irex has som nasty comments on som sites. Totally not worth the gamble of paying twice as much for it. eSlick it is then. Ill buy better one somday in future. This will have to do for now.

EDIT2:
eSlick has firmware update on their page that adds new features and support to the device. Now this device is starting to look like a winner!:
quote:

New Features in the eSlick 2.0 Build 1130 Firmware Update

The free eSlick 2.0 Build 1130 Firmware Update includes some fantastic new features and has enhanced many of the features from previous firmware updates.

EPUB Support
Foxit eSlick now supports EPUB format, which is an XML-based format for reflowable digital books and publications. Now you can download EPUB eBooks onto your eSlick and the text will automatically display in an optimized format to fit the screen size.

PDB (commonly known as eReader) Support
Foxit eSlick now also supports eReader format, which is widely accepted by several software formats. eReader format is commonly used on mobile devices.

Image Support
Supports viewing image files in GIF, EMP, JPEG, and PNG format.

On-screen Virtual Keyboard
With this on-screen keyboard, you can use your navigation buttons to enter alphanumeric data in any text environment, including password entering and folder naming.

Working with Folders
eSlick now allows users to fully interact with a folder management system, enabling you to create a new folder as well as copy, move, and delete folders.

My Bookmark
A useful feature that empowers users to add customized bookmarks when reading PDFs, helping users to quickly return to marked pages to resume their readings.

Rendering Text in Landscape Mode
Now the text files can be rendered in landscape mode which allows you to view the screen horizontally.

Optimized Text-rendering Engine
An optimized text-rendering engine boosts the rendering speed for the text files dramatically.

Bug Fixes
Many bug fixes including a bug where reading history cannot be recorded when viewing a magnified TXT file.

Im ordering it right away.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/7/2009 5:10:38 PM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 58
RE: e-book readers - 12/8/2009 1:29:55 AM   
milkweg

I went to The Sony Store to check out the 505 but that model is from last year and has been discontinued (I can get 505 via Futureshop.ca via web order if I really wanted it) and all they had was 300 and 600 model. I decided I liked the touch screen feature and it comes with built in stylus so no issue with getting finger prints all over it and am now a proud owner of the Sony PRS-600 with black frame. They were out of all colours except silver but when he opened the latest shipment boxes there was a black one there with latest firmware just for me. I have it charging now so can't comment on it much yet but it supports photos and mp3's too so can be used for just more than text only books if you want. I already transferred one game .pdf manual to it so will see how well it handles .pdf manuals later. They said I can return it within 30 days if the .pdf capability is not to my satisfaction. Cost was $349.99 CAD + 12% tax.

p.s. the 600 model also comes with Oxford dictionary in both American and English versions. Had to change to English version because in Canada we do not use American spelling and I am English too. 600 also supports handwriting and adding notes to books.

< Message edited by milkweg -- 12/8/2009 1:32:54 AM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 59
RE: e-book readers - 12/9/2009 2:10:23 PM   
milkweg

OK, have used the Sony PRS-600 quite a bit now and have transferred quite a few .pdf game manuals to it and it handles .pdf just like it's own format and there is need to convert .pdf files with software anymore like you had to do with older generations. It's all done right inside the eBook itself. It can change text size, search, use dictionary (to use dictionary you must have touch screen otherwise I don't see how it could work very well at all) and go to page number just like the native files for Sony eBooks. I have already downloaded numerous free books to it from both The Sony Online store and the Project Gutenberg website. Seeing as  it is the season the first book I am reading is 'A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens', I think I read it already years ago but a second read of a good book is ok with me. I don't see the need to purchase any books for quite a while because I have plenty to read already. I can see already that I prefer this method to reading books for me just for the fact that I can change the font size so don't get eye strain like I do with paperbacks that come with way too small of font for my eyes. Anyway, I'm happy with my purchase but I did read the next model Sony comes out with will have WiFi for subscriptions like the Kindle has now but that is a non-issue for me because I don't want to use it for that purpose at all and read the news on the web for free anyway.

< Message edited by milkweg -- 12/9/2009 2:13:09 PM >

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: e-book readers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI