Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: e-book readers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: e-book readers Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: e-book readers - 12/9/2009 11:40:11 PM   
mgarnett

@Zakhal and Milkweg

The standard Kindle 2 just received an OS update giving it the ability to read PDF files. Also, apparently, they are introducing further updates early 2010 allowing for the use of folders to assist in the organisation of your book collections.

Cheers

Mark

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 61
RE: e-book readers - 12/10/2009 12:30:33 PM   
Hanal

And waiting in the wings for 2010 is Apple's iPad.............

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-293658.html

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 62
RE: e-book readers - 12/10/2009 2:19:58 PM   
milkweg

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgarnett

@Zakhal and Milkweg

The standard Kindle 2 just received an OS update giving it the ability to read PDF files. Also, apparently, they are introducing further updates early 2010 allowing for the use of folders to assist in the organisation of your book collections.

Cheers

Mark

OK, but just received email from Sony saying as of Dec 11th they are moving to making all their books available in ePUB open format standard and can download any previous purchase that is not ePUB in ePUB format, Sony already supports use of folders too.

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 63
RE: e-book readers - 12/10/2009 2:54:32 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgarnett

@Zakhal and Milkweg

Cheers

Mark

Allthough eslick has all that I might have rechecked kindle2 but since Im picking my slick in 1 hour from post office its too late now.

It doesnt matter whether you wait or buy now. Whatever you buy will get old fast. And if you wait for "better" you have to wait forever. Ill wait but while waiting Ill read eslick. ;)

quote:

And waiting in the wings for 2010 is Apple's iPad

Anything from apple's Steve Jobs will always be interesting even though I dont buy mac-stuff really. I might buy iphone if it had 5mgpx camera and better battery.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 64
RE: e-book readers - 12/10/2009 4:15:55 PM   
Zakhal

Ok I received the reader, but I have to wait 3-4 hours for it to charge. It looks nice though and Im eager to test it. I bought a nice cover for it too made from real cow skin or somthing. Feels very nice to the touch.

I also bought 4GB SDHC Class4 memory card for it. Its the max size it can take and faster too. There was a faster version available but I read that its so fast that it doesnt last long. Also eslick doesnt work with all SDHC cards so I had to buy kingston which was recommended by the eslick developers.

Also eSlick developers recommended that in large file transfers seperate reader is much faster and stable to use. So I also bought a memory card reader that can read/write all cards know to man (20-30?) with high-speed usb 2.0 connection. It cost 15€.

Next thing Im going to do is format the two kingston 2/4GB cards to fat32 if needed. I read that they might be factory formatted to fat16 and eSlick doesnt really work well with that.

EDIT:

Windows XP32 says that SD card is "fat" and that SDHC card is "unknown". The reader came with drivers for windows98 and 2000 so I guess windowsxp sp3 allready has needed drivers. I try formatting the sdhc card but I always get the message "not readable" or somthing. I check and the card is in write mod so that should not be a problem.

Next Im going to try formatting the SDHC card in vista64 if that would work better.

EDIT2:

After several hours and one firmware update from hell (thanks to flimsy microusb cord and software designer who thinks that pressing six times four different buttons during one bios update is a great idea) Im finally reading my first book. The reader feels superb. This is one of my best purchaces to this date. Its excellent for reading pocket-books. I love it.

My only worry is whether the battery lasts. But I can find that only through longer testing. The microusb power cord is very loose and its impossible to read it while charging. It would just unplug all the time. Just hope the battery is changeable atleast. Atleast there is a backdoor with one screw.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/10/2009 8:52:27 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 65
RE: e-book readers - 12/11/2009 2:13:47 PM   
Marc von Martial

All I want is an ebook reader with full color and full PDF support.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 66
RE: e-book readers - 12/11/2009 2:17:00 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal
Anything from apple's Steve Jobs will always be interesting even though I dont buy mac-stuff really. I might buy iphone if it had 5mgpx camera and better battery.

Really if you want to take photos buy a camera. For visual notes the iphone camera in the 3Gs is more then enough. What the heck do you want with 5mp on such a tiny sensor? Even more pixel pap.

The battery is actually not that bad, but I agree it could use a lot more bang.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 67
RE: e-book readers - 12/11/2009 2:57:47 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc von Martial

Really if you want to take photos buy a camera. For visual notes the iphone camera in the 3Gs is more then enough. What the heck do you want with 5mp on such a tiny sensor? Even more pixel pap.

You must be kidding! I dont know about sensors but Ive taken 300 5mp photos over a period of 16 months now and many of them are great pictures. I love taking photos with it and checking them afterwards (and showing to people). Going back to potentially worse cameras is no option for me.

I have older 2mp photos from my friends phone (I used it few times) and they are simply awful compared to the ones with my current phone. I dont know if its the sensors or whatever but clear differences do exist.

As for seperate camera thats useless because I would never have it with me when I need it. As for phone thats something I carry everywhere so I can always take pictures.

Id say my needs for camera are propably different from yours. And as for iphone thers always the battery thing too. Mobile phones are suppose to be mobile not wired. ;)

quote:

You dont like reading books that consists only of black text and white pages? For large multi-column color pdfs I ordered samsung NC10 mini-notenook (1,3kg 10" 8hr battery). Should receive it next week.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/11/2009 3:16:28 PM >

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 68
RE: e-book readers - 12/11/2009 10:22:38 PM   
milkweg

quote:

My only worry is whether the battery lasts. But I can find that only through longer testing. The microusb power cord is very loose and its impossible to read it while charging. It would just unplug all the time. Just hope the battery is changeable atleast. Atleast there is a backdoor with one screw.

Sony says their eBook is unusable to read books while it is plugged in to USB. Not the same on yours?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 69
RE: e-book readers - 12/11/2009 10:25:13 PM   
milkweg

quote:

Why do you need color? For .pdf manuals? I doubt there will be eBook with color support because the screens are a special greyscale that is easy on the eyes and not LCD. I don't see a need for color considering what they are designed for.

Post #: 70
RE: e-book readers - 12/11/2009 11:17:28 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg

quote:

Sony says their eBook is unusable to read books while it is plugged in to USB. Not the same on yours?

Its not. My mistake. But the cord isnt actually loose. I just had to learn how to plug it in. You have to really stick it in all the way.

I took som pictures from current book Im reading. It has maps and text from the first pages. If anyone is interested I can try posting them here.

Hers one google pic:

The text on the screen is large btw. I usually use text font thats two levels smaller.

This is a good picture: http://www.tudra.net/wp/wp-content/gallery/eslick/eslick.jpg

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/12/2009 12:12:21 AM >

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 71
RE: e-book readers - 12/16/2009 8:09:18 PM   
milkweg

I already added a 4GB SD card to my Sony PRS-600 and have over 300 free epub books downloaded to it. I don't think I will need to buy any books for a loooong time now. :)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 72
RE: e-book readers - 12/16/2009 9:16:19 PM   
JamesM

quote:

May not be colour but they have are good with pdf documents.

http://www.irextechnologies.com/products

Post #: 73
RE: e-book readers - 12/17/2009 9:52:57 AM   
milkweg

That pro Irex on the right in your link has 3 green led lights on the bottom. That was a bad idea because you don't want anything that can distract your eyes while reading. That's why6 I made sure to buy a black frame Sony reader. The sales guy at the Sony store said the metallic red is the most popular color but I think that is the worst choice people could make because again the color is distracting to your eyes. They have a silver model too which is better but black is optimal due to it acting as a frame that makes the black text stand out just like with B&W photographs. That flat grey of the Foxit reader above is a good choice too but LED lights and bright colored frames are bad decisions IMO.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 74
RE: e-book readers - 12/17/2009 4:39:59 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg

quote:

Why do you need color? For .pdf manuals? I doubt there will be eBook with color support because the screens are a special greyscale that is easy on the eyes and not LCD. I don't see a need for color considering what they are designed for.

Take the "eBook" term I used not too seriously. I wait for something the size of the Kindle for reading full color PDF. I have a few art and design PDF magazines as subscriptions and it would be just great to be able to take them with as easily as you can do it with eBooks and the Kindle.

But with regards to eBook readers. The Fujitsu reader is already full color

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 75
RE: e-book readers - 12/17/2009 6:04:27 PM   
Hanal

"But with regards to eBook readers. The Fujitsu reader is already full color "

Have the prices come down on them? No way was I going to spend over a $!000 for an e-reader unless it also made my toast in the morning.....

Post #: 76
RE: e-book readers - 12/19/2009 1:36:51 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Have the prices come down on them? No way was I going to spend over a $!000 for an e-reader unless it also made my toast in the morning.....

Nope I think not. I guess it will be another 6 month before affordable ones will pop up.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 77
RE: e-book readers - 12/19/2009 3:28:32 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Nope I think not. I guess it will be another 6 month before affordable ones will pop up.

For whatever reason (no price cuts or lack of availability? Somtimes the japanese just like to keep the rest of the world waiting. ) fujitsu plans to sell only 50,000 towards the end of 2010:

quote:

Fujitsu’s Flepia comes in at such a high price point ($1,000 approximately) that its instantly out of the reckoning as a Kindle Killer.

There are however some interesting things about it, and there’s a chance that as Fujitsu scale-up they can cut down the price enough to be a threat. Given that eInk screens might not get color until 2011, the Flepia does hold promise.

2. A price of 99,750 Yen that at March 27th’s exchange rate is $1,013.771. So almost exactly triple the price of Kindle 2.
3. Color e-Paper 8-inch display screen capable of showing up to 260,000 colors in high-definition.
4. 768 dots x 1,014 dots (XGA) screen resolution. And it does look impressive –
5. The Flepia’s proprietary epaper technology is developed jointly by Fujitsu Laboratories and Fujitsu Frontech.
6. Up to 40 hours of continuous battery operation when fully charged, and like eInk only requires power to re-draw the screen.
8. Weighs just 385 grams and only 12.5mm thick.
14. They also state that their sales target is to sell 50,000 of these by the end of 2010. Talk about a lack of ambition.

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/03/26/fujitsu-flepia-color-ebook-reader/

Its twice heavier than my 6" pocket-book reader but its specs are nice. Not sure if 8" is enough to read multicolumn magz though. I might buy bigger reader one day for those.

Perhaps 2011 will be the year of color-readers and 2012 one or two will be available in Finland too. However Im not waiting anymore. Im allready on page 500 on Red Storm Rising.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/19/2009 3:31:46 PM >

Post #: 78
RE: e-book readers - 12/21/2009 5:43:38 AM   
milkweg

OK, didn't know they have color already but it is not anything I would buy anyway because all I want mine for is text and nothing else.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 79
RE: e-book readers - 12/21/2009 11:48:22 AM   
Hanal

Well I'm still awaiting my NOOK as it is back ordered and so I should get it mid January....So far I have read mostly positive reviews as they seemed to have taken advantage of any criticisms of KINDLE and corrected them in their unit....If anyone here manages to get one, before I do, I'll be interested to read what you think....

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 80
RE: e-book readers - 12/24/2009 5:01:49 PM   
Capt. Harlock

If it's useful to anyone, there's a summary of many of the popular models at:
http://www.switched.com/2009/12/18/a-very-special-christmas-e-reader-roundup/?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl2|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.switched.com%2F2009%2F12%2F18%2Fa-very-special-christmas-e-reader-roundup%2F

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 81
RE: e-book readers - 12/25/2009 3:32:13 PM   
Lützow

Rumor has it that Apple is going to unveil a 7" tablet PC at end of january. Could imagine that this machine will replace conventional ebook readers due to it's superior usability.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 12/25/2009 3:33:44 PM >

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 82
RE: e-book readers - 12/25/2009 3:33:56 PM   
Lützow

double post

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 83
RE: e-book readers - 12/25/2009 4:44:28 PM   
Zakhal

Ive used mine for som two weeks now and Im not going back to regular books anymore. This is better than reading real books. Its more comfy i.e its easier to read, easier to switch pages than in real book, smaller than real book, always stays on the right page, automatic bookmarks, doesnt need a bookshelf, very long battery life, light weight, good looking with covers made from real leather (atleast on mine ), etc.

I have several unread real books but Id rather read them from my eslick. What a waste collecting all those printed books! Once the price drops to 100-150€ everyone who likes reading is going to start buying eReaders.

Btw If you buy one of these readers make sure to get good covers for it. I carry my reader to everywhere and the leather covers give it that extra protection it needs. As nice it is its still not as durable as real book.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/25/2009 4:55:04 PM >

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 84
RE: e-book readers - 12/25/2009 6:53:31 PM   
Brigz

I got enough Barnes & Noble gift cards from very generous relatives to nearly pay for it so it looks like I'll be getting a Nook. It's the one I was leaning toward. And since it's going to be nearly free I certainly can't complain if it's not perfect. I have Callibre and EReader Studio software so I won't have any problems converting formats.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 85
RE: e-book readers - 12/26/2009 12:06:08 AM   
nelmsm1

I got a Kindle from my kids last night and I love it.  It does make ready a lot easier and comfortable.  Got a leather cover ordered for it this morning.  I can see this thing going with me almost anywhere there is a chance I'll have to wait in line anywhere.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 86
RE: e-book readers - 12/26/2009 12:56:07 AM   
Lützow

quote:

I have several unread real books but Id rather read them from my eslick. What a waste collecting all those printed books! Once the price drops to 100-150€ everyone who likes reading is going to start buying eReaders.

No way.

Printed books are cultural assets and can endure centuries under right circumstances. However ebooks are just ephemeral bytes, published by a technology and data format which will be replaced sooner or later for a newer one. Once this happens your whole librairy will vanish into thin air. My dad shot movies in 8 mm technology when he was young and can't play those nowadays, as there are no appropriate devices available anymore.

That being said, I do agree that it's indeed quite convenient to read something on a backlighted screen. But I take ebooks as addition to printed issues, not as replacement. If publishers don't consider this, they will face similiar problems like the music industry. Why purchasing something if one can get a pirated copy for free, especially since books are very small sized downloads.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 87
RE: e-book readers - 12/26/2009 11:16:27 AM   
Marc von Martial

What Lützow says.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 88
RE: e-book readers - 12/26/2009 1:27:20 PM   
Halsey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shawkhan

Get the Sony Reader. I got it at BestBuy, the expensive one, for $300. Kindle uses a proprietary format which means you only get to download books from Amazon. The Sony Reader comes in two models, with the expensive model using a touch screen and having voice options for handsfree operation. The wife and I like this feature as we can listen to it while driving.

Of course next year there will be better models at a lower cost, but that is the reality of modern electronics.

Over a million books already available for download. Step into the future, the paper book is dead. Great advertisement there, huh?

Fat chance...

When I'm doing reference work I might have a dozen books opened up and laying in plain sight.

How much would a dozen e-readers cost.

How do you see the drawings and pictures anyway.

(in reply to Shawkhan)
Post #: 89
RE: e-book readers - 12/26/2009 6:59:44 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow
Printed books are cultural assets and can endure centuries under right circumstances. However ebooks are just ephemeral bytes, published by a technology and data format which will be replaced sooner or later for a newer one. Once this happens your whole librairy will vanish into thin air. My dad shot movies in 8 mm technology when he was young and can't play those nowadays, as there are no appropriate devices available anymore.

Im sure there will always be som physical copies but if a catastrophy happens that wipes out all digital data from earth, lack of reading material might be the least of our problems.

Also I dont believe the format we have now (pdf,txt) will ever disappear anywhere because there will always be a copy-paste method to transfer it into new format. Back in your dads 8mm age they didnt yet have the copy-paste technology.

quote:

That being said, I do agree that it's indeed quite convenient to read something on a backlighted screen.

e-ink readers are not backlighted. Thats one of the reasons why I bought my reader.

quote:

But I take ebooks as addition to printed issues, not as replacement. If publishers don't consider this, they will face similiar problems like the music industry. Why purchasing something if one can get a pirated copy for free, especially since books are very small sized downloads.

The good thing about books (and most music too) is that they dont cost millions to make like games or movies. The middlemen might get hurt but if most of the money goes straight to the writer it might be enough to keep him working.

And there will always be those that dont pirate. In example I dont pirate games even though there is no reason why I couldnt do it. Instead I just bought 160€ worth of digital games from steam just yesterday alone. And Im currently planning to moving on digital games only. I simply dont have the room for physical copies of games anymore. Games just like books take too much space.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

How do you see the drawings and pictures anyway.

Ive read som comments from irex 10,2" reader users that they have used it to show drawings and stuff like that in their engineer work. However it was too big and expensive for my pocket-books so I didnt buy it.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/26/2009 9:31:40 PM >

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: e-book readers Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI