Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Skip Boming....anyone?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Skip Boming....anyone? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Skip Boming....anyone? - 6/25/2002 1:37:20 AM   
worr

I've had greater success with 1,000 feet than 100 feet.

There also is no feed back as to wether the planes attackinga re even using skip bombing tactics.

Another problem is the combat report shows planes at 100 feet reporting attacks at 1,000 feet. So it all becomes a great myster.

Oh, and one more thing....there is a bug that crashes some systems when you have planes attacking at 100 feet when they aren't attacking ships. Needs to be a way to have planes attack ships at 100 feet as their primary mission, but ground targets, airfields, etc at a higher altitutde.

Worr, out
Post #: 1
Re: Skip Boming....anyone? - 6/25/2002 3:11:03 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by worr
[B]I've had greater success with 1,000 feet than 100 feet.

Worr, out [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi

I agree with the 1,000 feet altitude for bombers. Been using that tactic since day 1 I think. Great results against Jap shipping!
Dan

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 2
100 feet - 6/25/2002 7:11:00 PM   
mogami

Hi, I think non skip bombing at 100 feet would blow the aircraft out of the air. No matter what altitude you select the aircraft will go to attack alt and thenback (notice no matter what alt you select for Japanese aircraft carrying torpedos they attack at 200 feet. US attack at even lower) So level bombers/dive bombers attack at pilot/lgroup leader height. If what you select works they will stay there.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 3
Skip Bombing? - 6/25/2002 8:45:06 PM   
pompac

I also have set level bomber altitude to 1000 feet for Navel Attack since day 1. However I set my P39s to 100 feet when barges are about in order to strafe. When transports wander into the area unexpectedly, the P39s will strafe them instead of skip bombing or dive bombing them. However I have noticed that when the P39 experience level gets into the high 80s and low 90s the strafing P39s will occasionally score a bomb hit as well.

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 4
- 6/26/2002 7:43:20 AM   
KevinRohrer

I have set all my Allied AC to 100foot skipbombing w/o any positive results. The only message I get says that the enemy ships are getting "Shell Hits". Big deal.

As for AC skipbombing from 10-feet in real life, that is how they did it. I have seen pictures of A20s and B25s doing this in the Pacific w/ the photos being taken from chase planes. Very impressive.

As for the AC getting caught in the blast, that DID sometime happen. However, you also have to remember that the bomb skipping over the water is slowing down, while the AC that dropped it is speeding up from both the now absent weight (bomb gone) and the pilot banking away and pouring on the coals to escape the AA.

I just started reading what will probably be an excellent book on the subjhect: Fire on the Water (I think that's the title) that deals w/ combat in this theater during the game time period.

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 5
- 6/26/2002 8:58:25 AM   

As far as I can determine, no skip-bombing takes place when altitude is set to 100 ft for a level bomber. The level bomber will strafe (even in 1.11), and the shell hits are bullet hits, which do nothing, except to subs and APs. My idea is that when set to 1000 ft on a naval attack, the pilots are conducting skip bombing missions, which explains the Allies greater success at these altitudes than the Japanese Bettys, which can come in at 6000 ft, and are presumed to go down to 200ft for their torpedo runs. Their results are quite good, since they make the drop for their torpedo runs. The Allied level bombers at 6000 ft will level bomb from that Altitude, and not have anywhere near the success of 1000 ft missions.
So, in my view, it is a documentation change required, rather than a code change. Just explain that if you want the B-17s to skip bomb, then set them to 1000 ft, and they will drop to 100 ft for the bombing run automatically, like the Bettys drop to 200 ft for the torpedo run.

kp

The Earth is but a hollow nougat, reverberating with the sounds of the big bands... :cool:

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 6
- 6/26/2002 12:45:44 PM   
worr

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1089
[B]As far as I can determine, no skip-bombing takes place when altitude is set to 100 ft for a level bomber. The level bomber will strafe (even in 1.11), and the shell hits are bullet hits, which do nothing, except to subs and APs. My idea is that when set to 1000 ft on a naval attack, the pilots are conducting skip bombing missions, which explains the Allies greater success at these altitudes than the Japanese Bettys, which can come in at 6000 ft, and are presumed to go down to 200ft for their torpedo runs. Their results are quite good, since they make the drop for their torpedo runs. The Allied level bombers at 6000 ft will level bomb from that Altitude, and not have anywhere near the success of 1000 ft missions.
So, in my view, it is a documentation change required, rather than a code change. Just explain that if you want the B-17s to skip bomb, then set them to 1000 ft, and they will drop to 100 ft for the bombing run automatically, like the Bettys drop to 200 ft for the torpedo run.

kp [/B][/QUOTE]

Which might also explain why the combat report neglects to mention your attack was at 100 feet...but instead reports it as 1,000 feet.

Something wrong here.

Worr, out

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 7
- 6/26/2002 12:51:47 PM   

[QUOTE]Originally posted by worr
[B]

Something wrong here.

Worr, out [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, no wonder! You've probably been playing 18 hours a day or more since UV arrived, and anyone would be Worr out under those conditions! ;)

kp

The Earth is but a hollow nougat, reverberating with the sounds of the big bands... :cool:

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 8
- 6/27/2002 5:23:39 AM   
bobarossa

KevinRohrer,

I did some searching on the book you mentioned. Here is a link to the publisher. http://www.westviewpress.com/fireinthesky/index.html

It looks very interesting and my library has it. I will have to get it.

On topic: I have yet to try skip bombing because the manual says the pilots need to have experience levels of over 80 and mine are nowhere close to that. I think skip bombing was only done by b-25's in the game's time frame (but I'm not sure if that is coded into the game; also I could be completely wrong). I also believe the bombs were set to a several second delay to prevent taking out the bomber as well as the target.

Bob

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 9
- 6/27/2002 6:58:43 PM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobarossa
[B]KevinRohrer,

I did some searching on the book you mentioned. Here is a link to the publisher. http://www.westviewpress.com/fireinthesky/index.html

It looks very interesting and my library has it. I will have to get it.

On topic: I have yet to try skip bombing because the manual says the pilots need to have experience levels of over 80 and mine are nowhere close to that. I think skip bombing was only done by b-25's in the game's time frame (but I'm not sure if that is coded into the game; also I could be completely wrong). I also believe the bombs were set to a several second delay to prevent taking out the bomber as well as the target.

Bob [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought the manual said 60 or better for experience to skip bomb. And in real life the A-20 and the B-25s used skip bombing.
And yes there was a short delay set in the bomb fuses. In a book called 'Band of Brothers' about the B-25 in the SW Pacific there is mention of author skip bombing a ship and using parafrag (too low for the parachute to deploy) and nearly getting his tail blown off (the tail gunner was rightfully upset).
Using a P-39D at 100 ft lets it use that 37 mm cannon on ships, same is true later when you get the 75mm armed B-25s.

This does bring up the question "Are parafrags modeled in the game???"

"Oh don't give me a P-38. Their props they conterrotate. They're scattered from Burma to Britian. Don't give me a P-38. Give me operations out on some lonely atoll. I just want'ta grow old." :D

(in reply to worr)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Skip Boming....anyone? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI