Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Computer Language is used Most?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Computer Language is used Most? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Computer Language is used Most? - 12/19/2009 7:46:03 PM   
leastonh1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobertCrandall

Flashpoint Germany is in Delphi (object Pascal) by the company now called CodeGear.  It is awesome and I used it in my day job for 15 years or more too.  I know some of the other Matrix games are also done in Delphi but I'm not sure which now.

Flashpoint Middle East will also be in Delphi.  The third party components are outstanding and let you concentrate on making the game and less on reinventing the wheel.

Rob Crandall

Nice! I didn't know FpG was done in Delphi. I'm a Delphi dev (lovely language) and am currently getting to grips with PHP and CodeIgniter. As a huge fanboy of FpG (where's the next installment guys?! ) I'm even more impressed by the use of Pascal to code the game.

Oh, it's soooo nice to be back on the forums again! Poor health is a real bugger for curbing my Internet use & gaming time.

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to IronManBeta)
Post #: 31
RE: What Computer Language is used Most? - 1/6/2010 8:10:36 AM   
rakshu

First of all, this should not be a question for student who is doing his final year project. The reason is he should know the answer before then.

It's not about a language you use, it's about which one you have the most familiarity with. You have to stick with the one you know the most. And more than that, language is a tool, just a tool, how you use that tool is what important.

In term of language, there are thousands of them out there. Using google and find the most popular programming language, I got this http://www.developer.com/lang/article.php/3390001 , which is very interesting. I suggest using C/C++, Java or Python in general. For web project, PHP would be a plausible choice. You should probably want to stay away from any .NET, Microsoftish language since they can be *obsolete* eventually.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
website marketing
Web Development Sydney

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 32
RE: What Computer Language is used Most? - 1/7/2010 10:51:40 AM   
ajith

Forget about learning a language, that is the wrong way to go about learning to program. Learn the fundamentals of programing, algorithm design and pure maths, then design a program and then choose the best language for the job. If you understand the fundamentals of programming, you can then pick up any language you like and learn it in no time at all. Ultimately pick the highest order language that will fulfill the requirements of your design, why use C/C++ and assembler if Ruby or Lua will achieve your design goals, its all about writing the least amount of code. After all, this is a school project, and you should be trying to MIN/MAX, Minimum effort for Maximum results.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 33
RE: What Computer Language is used Most? - 1/9/2010 4:23:08 AM   
nenje

s othere members have posted it depends upon you only which language you use. At enterprise level J2EE and .Net are the most common things. In small companies php is also very famous. Java is a good language to use but now a days I will prefer to go with C# ( C-Sharp) over java.

And I am not satisfied with vdhieu84 - as he has said that Microsoft Languages can be obsolete. Visual Basic is the good example for it. It is Microsoft Product and most famous for devleoping Desktop application. Java is popular in web applications but when you talk about desktop application visual basic is winner. And visual basic is here from years. So please don't evaluate the things on the basis of owner of the product/language. .NET is a wonderful platform given by Microsoft, I can't compare anything so good till date.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 34
RE: What Computer Language is used Most? - 1/9/2010 4:21:44 PM   
Jevhaddah

Back in the Stoneage when I was a computer science lecturer the language that was to be used for a project was nearly always the last decision to be made, unless there were extenuating circumstances such as adding to an already established codebase.

We would start the design process thusly :

1. A couple of lines that state what problem the code has to solve.

2. An Expansion, to say a paragraph or two stating in more detail what will be required of the software. Input/Output routines, display, storage etc

3. Step-Wise Refinement, The software written (or typed these days ) out in full in youir natural language (in my case gibberish )to lay out the flow of the code.

4. Pseudo Code, the software written in shorthand using yer primary natural language. By this stage the program is all but written and it's just a case choosing a programming language.

5. Choice of language, based on above and any extenuating circumstances, in my case it was usually Pascal, C, C++ or COBOL.

Things have probably moved on from the above listed steps, but I personaly still follow those steps when I do any coding of any length as it saves lot's of time in debugging later.

Being the only dinosaur the comet did not kill I am going to crawl back into my cave to hide.

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to nenje)
Post #: 35
RE: What Computer Language is used Most? - 1/19/2010 9:17:51 AM   
thiagu

This question is too broad, and you would be getting many different answers from many different people from different parts of the world! This question also assumes that programming languages will not develop or evolve into different language as time fly. But to humor you, the most widely used programming AS OF NOW, is C and its derivatives like C++, C#, and Java.____________________________
santiburi samui
testosterone enanthate

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Computer Language is used Most? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI