Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 1:28:18 AM   
PzB74

....and

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 661
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 1:49:49 AM   
PzB74

Burma

Slowly building strength towards 2000 AV. Not certain how much we need to stalemate an Allied offensive when it comes one day.
Think key would be to build a strong network of rear-bases that can field numerous air support.

I'm keeping a garrison regiment in Saigon, Bangkok and Singapore; they're not to be moved unless an acute emergency.
The true tactical reserve for this region will be the armored division currently being assembled in Singapore.

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 662
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 2:00:59 AM   
PzB74

Eastern - Central Oz

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 663
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 2:02:15 AM   
Nomad

The most likely place for him to take his damaged CV is to Capetown, I think it has a size 90 repair yard.

That is in long impressive list of TKs sunk. He will hurt some for sure.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 664
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 2:06:02 AM   
CapAndGown

Guess what? Malaria does not appear to effect units not in bases. I have a division based in a jungle hex and it has like 3-4 fatigue and 0 disruption.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 665
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 2:49:15 AM   
Cathartes

Big LCUs sitting in strat mode in Burma? No worries about air to ground attacks?

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 666
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 7:37:14 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

Burma

Slowly building strength towards 2000 AV. Not certain how much we need to stalemate an Allied offensive when it comes one day.
Think key would be to build a strong network of rear-bases that can field numerous air support.

2.5 to 3 times more?

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 667
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 7:38:30 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

Guess what? Malaria does not appear to effect units not in bases. I have a division based in a jungle hex and it has like 3-4 fatigue and 0 disruption.

must be the same as supplying them, you can´t in a base, but you can if you move them 45 miles into the jungle.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 668
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 4:29:05 PM   
PzB74

Hm, Capetown...didn't think of that. Not used to the off map locations in AE when only playing Japan.
- Tried to intercept convoys "popping" out of the map around these exits but never had success.

No malaria in the jungle
- Must check that with Andy, sounds like a bug...

You think Allies can scrounge LCU's equal to 5000 AV in Burma in 42-43?
- If it's so then something is awry
Over the coming year I hope to increase out strength, but even with reserves I will struggle to get more than 2500-2600 AV.
Historically this was enough to keep the Allies on their heels for years.

We still got air supremacy over our main bases in Burma; no build up Allied bases within fighter range of Rangoon, so for now my troops are safe.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 669
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 4:51:51 PM   
veji1

I think that Burma is, if not broken, a problem in AE as the Allies can not only mobilise a massive amount of troops, which in a sense is OK, but keep them supplied and in good shape through the jungle in 1942, which doesn't make sense... The japanese player needs a massive amount of troops to face that onslaught...

Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 670
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/8/2010 5:46:13 PM   
PzB74

I've argued for that Jap troops should receive a bonus when fighting in the jungle in 42-43.
So what do you recommend; should I strip other fronts to provide more LCU's to halt an early Allied advance through Rangoon in 42-43?

I can reduce the Java garrison (ca 2.5 divisions worth of troops) as Burma reserves.
Don't think the Allies can perform major amph operations as long as the KB rule the waves in 42-43.
- By this time we should have received enough new troops to replace them.

Same applies for the remaining crack units on Luzon; can replace them with garrisons in 42-43.

Another remedy I'm already implementing is the build up of a strong Army Air Force presence in Malaya - Burma area.
If we can seriously oppose Allied air supremacy and bomb enemy troops as they advance we can improve our odds a bit.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 671
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/9/2010 2:04:58 PM   
Milman

Don't risk with Java. Too valuable for japan economy. Even a small raid (capturing and reatreting by allies) will cost you too much (oil).

Luzon is good candidate. There is no way allies can invade there till late 1943 and even than only when they fight their way trough pacific. Also look Indochina, Borneo and all Philipine islands ppl sometimes forget there some nice units, at least i did :). Allies can't go there and except for garnison duty you shouldn't put there any INF unit. Also you should consider now where will you redeploy units from Australia when you retreat. Than you can maybe use units which are now in those bases where you are weak.

With 3k AV in Burma and maybe 1k in Malaya (protecting Malaya but serving also as reserve for Burma) you are ok in my opinion at least till Australia is main focus of allies.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 672
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/9/2010 3:40:51 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Over the coming year I hope to increase out strength, but even with reserves I will struggle to get more than 2500-2600 AV.

How do the allies manage to move and supply that level of AV? Does this indicate that the cross country supply is too efficient and needs to be toned down? Or does the map terrain need to be "eroded" a bit more between India and Burma.

IIRC my history on this area, when the allies lost Burma it was a real S_____ to regain it.

Pax

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 673
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/9/2010 4:03:43 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

How do the allies manage to move and supply that level of AV? Does this indicate that the cross country supply is too efficient and needs to be toned down? Or does the map terrain need to be "eroded" a bit more between India and Burma.

IIRC my history on this area, when the allies lost Burma it was a real S_____ to regain it.

The question is why would the Allies bother? Historically that question has been asked and many think the the campaign to retake Burma was a total waste of effort and material.

In the game Burma really only has two benefits for the Allies. One is the oil production at Magawe and the other is a supply line to China. Well the oil production at Magawe can be knocked out fairly early with heavy bombers and I don't see much value in opening up a supply line to China vs the costs. If the Japanese player loads up Burma with troops, I would be inclined to send my army elsewhere. Except as a buffer to the Allied offensive, Burma offers little for Japan. There are virtually no resources in Burma worth mentioning. A heavy Japanese concentration in Burma is just an invitation for the Allies to go elsewhere. Sort of a balancing act, really.

From a military standpoint, it is argued that the only campaign in the whole Burma theater worth the effort was the retaking of Myitkyina.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 674
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/9/2010 4:31:37 PM   
PresterJohn001

apologies for derailing this great AAR but re Burma

Forcing the Japanese to overcommit to Burma (to hold it) or the Allies being able to capture Burma early is a win win for the allies which was not available historically. Its not that the allies shouldn't be able to take Burma early, its just that it should take significantly more effort than the allies put in historically (or significantly less defence from the Japanese) ie strategic decisions to support the theatre.

The loss of Burma whilst not catastrophic gives the allies big advantages, for one re opening the Burma road and geting supplies to China, lack of supplies seems to be a limiting factor on the chinese so early chinese offfensives (with their huge number of troops) adds more imbalance. Furthermore from Burma the road down to Singapore seems an attractive one, if the Japanese didn't have the troops in Burma, they'll have to commit to stop the allies roaming freely in the rest of Thailand Malaya etc.

I really see very little difference between complaints of the Japanese doing too well in China and the Allied doing overwell in Burma (well scale maybe but the rationale is little different).

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 675
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/9/2010 5:16:20 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

the game does not attempt to model the lethargy and incompetence of many of civil and military leaders of British India and Burma.  When the British Army did get its act together in early 44 and put its forces in the hands of a number of competent leaders (although in the minority), it was a formidable force.  The game allows the allied player to avoid many of the poor decisions historically made, so the Japanese will likely face a competent, well led Allied Army a year sooner than historically. 

< Message edited by Wirraway_Ace -- 4/9/2010 7:04:39 PM >

(in reply to PresterJohn001)
Post #: 676
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/9/2010 5:22:51 PM   
Nomad

But, AV alone does not tell the whole story. The Indian army is short on modern weapons and good leadership and Andy may not have enough PPs to change them out. Experience and morale could be a bit low also.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 4/9/2010 5:26:07 PM >

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 677
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/9/2010 7:15:12 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

But, AV alone does not tell the whole story.

Now you are starting to sound like a true Japanese Leader!

Although you a very correct. The Eastern Army is still likely to be short on key weapon systems for quite a while and experience should be about 50. I am not presuming to know when Andy will come, of if he will come at Burma. I do think that PzB will need at least the historical force levels a year earlier than IRL. My memory is there were 3 good IJA divisions that were thrown away in a foolish attack in Jan 44. If kept intact to defend, this force might have held Burma. So, say a full Corps, approx 2,000 AV, of front line troops to meet the historic Eastern Army a year early...

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 678
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/9/2010 11:16:59 PM   
PzB74

Summary of last couple of days; caught a cold and not been in a great shape to write up the AAR.

In my last game against Andy I lost Burma and he moved into Malaysia, took Bangkok, Singapore and moved on.
This was a serious situation I couldn't control. Do NOT want this to happen in this game. Think I have to compromise; already pulled out most good troops from the interior but can find a few more on Luzon. A crack regiment is moving in from China as well. One of the shattered regiments from the fighting around Perth is moved to Singapore and will rebuild.

Never started defensive preparations this early before, but in Oz and Burma I don't have further offensive goals and the defensive is therefore the only option. We have to stay on the offensive at sea for the next 6-12 months.

Tried to intercept a huge convoy sailing from Perth with merchant men, troop ships and the 2 Allied carriers.
Somehow the enemy TF only move 1 or 2 hexes and avoid our surface group consisting of 1 BB, 1 CA, 1 CL and 4 DD.
- I think Andy used the TF as a trap for our bombers by providing a strong LRCAP, but I've evacuated our ac because I'm afraid we may loose the base to Allied ground troops soon as they now field over 2100 AV. I therefore decide to bombard enemy troops in Geraldton with our surface ships next turn.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 13, 42

Night Bombing

Andy is intensifying his night bombing - but to little effect!
At Magwe we're well dug in with heavy AA defenses.

Night Air attack on Magwe , at 57,47
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 5
Wellington Ic x 6
Bolingbroke IV x 2

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 damaged
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Magwe , at 57,47
Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 6 damaged

Runway hits 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy is using standard fighters as night-fighters; they actually shot down a bomber a few turns ago!

Night Air attack on Calcutta , at 52,37
Weather in hex: Light cloud

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 24

Allied aircraft
Hurricane I Trop x 8
Hurricane IIb Trop x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 10 damaged

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Air Combat

An air offensive then commense; the one by one units sweep is easy to repel as our defenders steadily rise up into the air!

Morning Air attack on Magwe , at 57,47
Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 45
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 36

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1 Det B with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 8 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 30000 , scrambling fighters between 20000 and 23000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes
12th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 25 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 22 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 36 minutes

Raid detected at 11 NM, estimated altitude 31,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 45
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 34

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 2 destroyed

CAP engaged:
Group patrol altitude is 30000 , scrambling fighters to 32810.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 25 minutes
12th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 24 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 15000 and 32810.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 39 minutes
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (8 airborne, 2 on standby, 14 scrambling)
8 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 7 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 35200.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 35 minutes

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 34

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

CAP engaged:
Group patrol altitude is 30000 , scrambling fighters to 32000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 37 minutes
12th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (9 airborne, 0 on standby, 20 scrambling)
9 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 32000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 33 minutes
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (11 airborne, 2 on standby, 6 scrambling)
11 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 11 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 35000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 35 minutes

The Aircobra may be good in a defensive role and against bombers...in this sweep 14 of them are gunned down
without friendly losses!

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 30

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 23

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 7 destroyed

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1 Det B with A6M2 Zero (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 4 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 30000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 16 minutes
12th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 20 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 10 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 32000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (0 airborne, 1 on standby, 6 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 17 being recalled, 6 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 30000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 37 minutes

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 24

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 1 destroyed

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1 Det B with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 9 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 30000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 6 minutes
12th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (6 airborne, 0 on standby, 4 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 9 being recalled, 12 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 22000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 41 minutes
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (12 airborne, 0 on standby, 2 scrambling)
12 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 10 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 10 minutes

After the sweeps 23 B-17's arrive; we still field 59 fighters. Only 2 B-17's are shot down, but more
are damaged.

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 37
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 22

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed, 14 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 9

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 15000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb
5 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 15000 feet
8 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 15000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1 Det B with A6M2 Zero (7 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 30000
Raid is overhead
12th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (26 airborne, 0 on standby, 4 scrambling)
26 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 25000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 22000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (20 airborne, 0 on standby, 2 scrambling)
20 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 29 minutes

Ground Combat

2271 AV...that's serious firepower, almost a 1000 vehicles.
I can't evacuate, will take too long time to get KB and transports here and it will take forever to march nort.
For now we need to stand and fight!

Ground combat at Geraldton (49,141)
Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 13897 troops, 277 guns, 977 vehicles, Assault Value = 2271
Defending force 26779 troops, 278 guns, 189 vehicles, Assault Value = 928

Japanese ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 3 (0 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Vehicles lost 3 (0 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2/9th Armoured Regiment
192nd Tank Battalion
2/11th Armoured Car Battalion
1st Motor Brigade
159th Mot Infantry Regiment
10th Light Horse Battalion
40th Infantry Division
Americal Infantry Division
194th Tank Battalion
255th Armoured Brigade
41st Infantry Division
27th Infantry Division
7th Armoured Brigade
2nd Medium Regiment
2/9th Field Regiment
226th Field Artillery Battalion
21/22 Field Regiment
2/13th Field Regiment
III Indian Corps
13th Australian Hvy AA Regiment
8th Medium Regiment

Defending units:
2nd Tank Regiment
20th Infantry Regiment
2nd Recon Regiment
16th Recon Regiment
II./124th Infantry Battalion
1st Engineer Co
65th Brigade
6th Guards Division
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
40th Field AA Battalion
26th Air Flotilla
18th Mountain Gun Regiment
21st Army

More night attack with little effect - no further day attacks.
- I've now replaced our own Sally's with a crack 36 ac Tojo unit; more than 110 fighters now defend Magwe
together with a dozen flak units.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 14, 42

In anticipation of enemy ground attack we unleash a rain of shells over the Allied troops in Geraldton!

Bombardments

Naval bombardment of Geraldton at 49,141

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
CA Atago
CL Tama
CL Kinu
DD Hasu
DD Asagao
DD Hayate

Allied ground losses:
87 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 6 (0 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Vehicles lost 11 (0 destroyed, 11 disabled)

BB Haruna firing at 41st Infantry Division
CA Atago firing at Americal Infantry Division
CL Tama firing at 27th Infantry Division
CL Kinu firing at Americal Infantry Division
DD Hasu firing at 27th Infantry Division
DD Asagao firing at Americal Infantry Division
DD Hayate firing at 27th Infantry Division

Air Combat

More and more air attacks on Geraldton from Perth, no great numbers though.

Afternoon Air attack on Geraldton , at 49,141
Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Allied aircraft
Martlet II x 2
F4F-3A Wildcat x 1
F4F-3 Wildcat x 3
SBD-3 Dauntless x 16

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 3

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x SBD-3 Dauntless bombing from 20000 feet
Airfield Attack: 1 x 1000 lb GP Bomb
6 x SBD-3 Dauntless bombing from 20000 feet
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless bombing from 20000 feet
Afternoon Air attack on Geraldton , at 49,141

Raid spotted at 21 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Allied aircraft
TBF-1 Avenger x 3

Allied aircraft losses
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb
Afternoon Air attack on 6th Guards Division, at 49,141 (Geraldton)

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-25C Mitchell x 3
Hudson I x 3
B-17E Fortress x 3
B-25B Mitchell x 3
P-38E Lightning x 8

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
54 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Hudson I bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-25B Mitchell bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 10000 feet *
Ground Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-25C Mitchell bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Also attacking 65th Brigade ...

Ground Combat

And so the attack goes in! Maybe because of our bombardment, maybe because of a lack of supplies, low experience; don't really know - but Allied AV is reduced by almost two thirds and Andy only achieves a poor 1-2 odds by a small margin 218 vehicles destroyed or disabled. Good, this buys time!

Ground combat at Geraldton (49,141)
Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 57646 troops, 1065 guns, 2360 vehicles, Assault Value = 2265

Defending force 26312 troops, 278 guns, 189 vehicles, Assault Value = 924
Allied adjusted assault: 818

Japanese adjusted defense: 836
Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1423 casualties reported
Squads: 32 destroyed, 58 disabled
Non Combat: 15 destroyed, 113 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 4 (0 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 70 (15 destroyed, 55 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
941 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 42 disabled
Non Combat: 19 destroyed, 275 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Vehicles lost 218 (8 destroyed, 210 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2/9th Armoured Regiment
194th Tank Battalion
27th Infantry Division
2/11th Armoured Car Battalion
40th Infantry Division
192nd Tank Battalion
1st Motor Brigade
10th Light Horse Battalion
159th Mot Infantry Regiment
Americal Infantry Division
255th Armoured Brigade
41st Infantry Division
7th Armoured Brigade
2/13th Field Regiment
2/9th Field Regiment
III Indian Corps
21/22 Field Regiment
226th Field Artillery Battalion
2nd Medium Regiment
13th Australian Hvy AA Regiment
8th Medium Regiment

Defending units:
16th Recon Regiment
2nd Recon Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment
65th Brigade
II./124th Infantry Battalion
20th Infantry Regiment
1st Engineer Co
6th Guards Division
18th Mountain Gun Regiment
26th Air Flotilla
40th Field AA Battalion
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
21st Army

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geraldton - Perth

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 679
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/9/2010 11:22:32 PM   
Nomad

This is not good for Andy either - he needs to pay more attention to detail I think - no + modifiers.

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), preparation(-)
Attacker:

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 680
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 6:35:01 AM   
Cribtop

RE Burma. IMHO the key is a house rule that prevents the Allied player from moving Indian Army units across the border unless he pays PPs. This prevents ahistorically early invasions and forces the Allied player to decide to make a strategic commitment to the detriment of other theaters if he wants to make Burma a priority.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 681
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 8:59:13 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

you can probably supply an infinite av through the jungle as the supply routine is now. You can´t supply a bgd when it is sitting at a jungle BASE but you can supply the whole Wehrmacht if it would sit five hexes away from your next base in the jungle. You just need to have a lot of supplies at that base. As it stands now, all you have to do is moving your LCUs OUT of a base and everything is fine. Keep them in a base and they probably will starve to death. Borked but that´s how it is and if the only goal is bug busting in future then it will just stay as it is.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 682
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 9:02:30 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

But, AV alone does not tell the whole story. The Indian army is short on modern weapons and good leadership and Andy may not have enough PPs to change them out. Experience and morale could be a bit low also.

I´ve always thought that too until I was looking at the editor. If you compare the 18 pounder with the 25 pounder then you will find out that there´s more or less no difference in it´s effect rating. Same goes for those mountain guns. I guess the upgrading of the equipment isn´t really that important. What is important is actually having any equipment.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 683
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 11:15:37 AM   
Milman

Since geraldtown is main event i have one question. What determines unit surrender/retreat choice ? I mean how far from friendly base should unit be to surrender ?

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 684
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 12:30:22 PM   
PzB74

Well, I can fine well not ask Andy to introduce new house rules limiting their offensive dispositions after the games have started, so I'm quite stuck with the situation as it is.

As I see it I would have had to strip most of Burma to successfully tangle with the large Allied Army near Perth, and that's not an option. Troops extraced from West Coast of Oz goes to Soerabaja / Darwin / Singapore to refit and as tactical reserves.

Our troops near Geraldton will not surrender, there is a base to their north with a supply line and we got a tank regiment sitting on the exit hex to the north. Half expecting Andy to bring his surface fleet to Perth, but he'd better hurry because something big and powerful is currently approaching Darwin, heading west...

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Milman)
Post #: 685
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 12:46:11 PM   
PzB74

well, looks like we have an issue!
Just ran the next turn and after a heavy naval bombardment and attack Andy captured Geraldton.

Last turn I considered setting all units to move instead of combat as they had moved 30 miles north towards Carnarvon.
Decided against it as I didn't think the units would be able to cover the remaining distance before being attacked.
- A decision that turned out to be correct because the one small engineer unit that I ordered to march didn't get out either.

Here is the issue:
After marchign 40 miles north towards Carnarvon our troops retreat....not the few miles north towards the safe base of Carnavon....but east towards the unsupplied dot base you can see on the map below

This is a joke made possible by some not to adequate ground combat and move - retreat routines.
Now I have ca 20k troops cut of without hope of supply and salvation.

Will take this up with Andy, please let me know what you think.

I sent this same info to Andy and added the following request:
- "What I would like is to ask if its possible to "move" my troops to the hex north of Geraldton, then you can pursue and destroy them towards Carnarvon while I try to save some of them."

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PzB -- 4/10/2010 12:54:15 PM >

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 686
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 1:05:19 PM   
Nomad

I have had similar situations in China. The units will retreat towards the nearest base regardless of supply status or anything else.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 687
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 1:12:01 PM   
PzB74

I didn't know that the troops would retreat east...the dot base has 0 supply and would be the suicide choice no matter that it's closer thant Carnavon

If I had known this I would have left Geraldton earlier.
Just can't afford to loose 2 divisions worth of troops to such BS!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 688
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 1:14:13 PM   
jrcar

Moral, don't start a land war in Asia... or Australia!

:)

cheers

Rob

AE BETA Breaker

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 689
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 2:46:14 PM   
castor troy

quote:

I didn't know that the troops would retreat east...the dot base has 0 supply and would be the suicide choice no matter that it's closer thant Carnavon

If I had known this I would have left Geraldton earlier.
Just can't afford to loose 2 divisions worth of troops to such BS!

it happens to both sides and it´s happening all the time. You can never expect units to retreat somewhere you expect them to. If Andy lets you move North without being attacked, then this is something that should be valid through the whole game and will come up again and again as units retreat to somewhere I don´t want them to all the time.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI