Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 3:51:18 PM   
PzB74

Yeah, I've considered minimizing land combat to avoid FUBAR....

- It's not a question of being allowed to move north without being attacked, but to be put in the retreat hex north of Geraldton were we can _attempt_ to move north while enemy troops pursue and reduce our retreating troops.

Being trapped towards the dot base = elimination.

IMHO troops that have 2 retreat options should prioritize retreat towards a large built up base with supplies. A dot base should be a last option.
------------------------------

Been talking with Andy; no save game editor, so troops can not be moved.
He graciously offered to wait 6 days until I move into the hex NW of Geraldton and capturing the dot hex with paras before assaulting my retreated troops again.

- I don't think it's fair for Andy to loose so many days; suggested that we both march our troops into the hex NW of Geraldton.
Should take Andy 3 days to get there and he can then assault the Japs troops as soon as they are in the hex. With the dot hex captured he can then pursue - attack the troops as they retreat towards Carnarvon.

The units will most likely become decimated but it gives me a chance to save some of them and counterattack / delay his progress. Got both the KB and a battle fleet enroute to the area.

Being destroyed 70-90% while retreating is ok, loosing all troops over the next 2 weeks in a meaningless slaughter towards the dot hex without having any hope of retaliating or getting a single unit out would be very frustrating.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PzB -- 4/10/2010 4:33:14 PM >

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 691
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 4:26:16 PM   
Cribtop

Ugh. What a mess. Hopefully you guys can work something out, but as other posters have pointed out this can happen over and over again. At least now we all know that LCUs retreat toward the nearest base regardless of other factors and can anticipate the problem, but that doesn't mean there's a solution. Worse, I can envision situations in which a player will be forced to make suboptimal choices on where to defend because of the retreat rules.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 692
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 6:58:40 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

Well, I can fine well not ask Andy to introduce new house rules limiting their offensive dispositions after the games have started, so I'm quite stuck with the situation as it is.

You could ask what is the practice he is operating under - using PP's or no? Then you would be free of just wondering about it.

BTW, just read your situation with the retreat from Geraldton. You and Andy are two first-class sportsmanlike opponents!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 693
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 8:49:42 PM   
PzB74

Andy was very sporty in this even; hope to repay the favor later on

Ok we're back on track; was a long and tiresome derailing!
Never been in a similar situation after almost 10 years of UV - WitP - AE.
Learn something every day...one way or the other!

No idea if I'm going to save some of the Geraldton troops, but I hope to
a) Keep Allied troops tied up for some weeks
b) Get some cadre units out from Carnarvon

Was feeling confident that I would be able to march out of Geraldton in good order, missed just a single day.
That ship bombardment must have wrecked fighting abilities quite badly.

Yeah, asked Andy about PPs for India - Burma.
We agreed on a house rule that restricted units moving between national borders have to pay PPs.
- So Andy has to pay up before moving in.

Also asked about supply requirements inside and outside base hexes; here's the Dr Ground combat reply

Units will be undersupplied if in a non base hex because local bases have limited ability to stockpile along the Assam border.

Wastage is also extreme if you are moving off road.

So a single unit may be fully supplied as long as the source base has a stockpile but getting a stockpile is difficult and the further you are from a base the more wastage occurs this is especially the case in Assam and north Burma and North Australia where we put in dailty limits that as base me receive supply wise.

e.g. Assume Imphal is lvl 5 AF and lvl 3 forts it will recieve 1200 a day normally 600 per day jn monsoon season unless I fly it in or ship it in.

In combat operartions a CW Div takes about 4,000 per month (rule of thumb I use) so in monsoon if I was fighting in Imphal on defensive in the base hex assuming no AF, Base forces wastage, or other uses for supply then I could support 3 Divs fully supplied at Imphal in combat and have a small surplus coming in

Now every hex I move away from Imphal depending on the road and terrain increases the wastage getting the supply to the front – I use a personal rule of thumb of 50% per non road jungle hex so operating 1 hex off road would cost me 6,000 per month or 2 hexes 9,000 per month so in Monsoon season its very hard for me to project power along the Assam front,

When the bases are built up as different bases grow more depending on how connected they are and more of the bases in the area are developed and I can draw from them more and larger forces can be supplied but its tough

Now that’s not to say combat and attacks are impossible just that you need either a big daily supply allowance, a large stockpile or be willing to operate without being fully supplied. Today right now I could fully supply 3 Divs in the Imphal hex assuming no construction airpower or stockpiling.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 16, 42

Bombardments

I think this caused our demise at Geraldton....

Naval bombardment of Geraldton at 49,141

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
BB Mississippi
BB New Mexico
BB Idaho
CA Houston
CA Northampton
CA Indianapolis
CA Portland
CL Nashville
CL St. Louis
CL Concord

Japanese ground losses:
906 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 24 disabled
Non Combat: 12 destroyed, 53 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 13 disabled
Guns lost 24 (4 destroyed, 20 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Airbase hits 24
Airbase supply hits 18
Runway hits 254
Port hits 8
Port supply hits 1

BB Mississippi firing at 6th Guards Division
BB New Mexico firing at 6th Guards Division
BB Idaho firing at 65th Brigade
CA Houston firing at 6th Guards Division
CA Northampton firing at 6th Guards Division
CA Indianapolis firing at Geraldton
CA Portland firing at Geraldton
CL Nashville firing at 65th Brigade
CL St. Louis firing at Geraldton
CL Concord firing at 6th Guards Division

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Combat

Morning Air attack on Geraldton , at 49,141
Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-25C Mitchell x 6
Hudson I x 6
B-17E Fortress x 3
B-25B Mitchell x 3
B-26 Marauder x 11

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
56 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground Combat

Ground combat at Geraldton (49,141)
Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 55617 troops, 1066 guns, 2355 vehicles, Assault Value = 2197
Defending force 23966 troops, 271 guns, 172 vehicles, Assault Value = 799

Allied adjusted assault: 1688
Japanese adjusted defense: 229

Allied assault odds: 7 to 1 (fort level 2)
Allied forces CAPTURE Geraldton !!!

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
No Japanese losses

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3830 casualties reported
Squads: 225 destroyed, 63 disabled
Non Combat: 270 destroyed, 58 disabled
Engineers: 30 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 128 (126 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 143 (141 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Units retreated 11

Allied ground losses:
1026 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 81 disabled
Non Combat: 35 destroyed, 108 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Vehicles lost 106 (23 destroyed, 83 disabled)

Assaulting units:
1st Motor Brigade
192nd Tank Battalion
27th Infantry Division
10th Light Horse Battalion
194th Tank Battalion
255th Armoured Brigade
2/9th Armoured Regiment
41st Infantry Division
Americal Infantry Division
159th Mot Infantry Regiment
2/11th Armoured Car Battalion
40th Infantry Division
7th Armoured Brigade
III Indian Corps
2/13th Field Regiment
2/9th Field Regiment
2nd Medium Regiment
226th Field Artillery Battalion
21/22 Field Regiment
13th Australian Hvy AA Regiment
8th Medium Regiment

Defending units:
2nd Recon Regiment
II./124th Infantry Battalion
65th Brigade
2nd Tank Regiment
20th Infantry Regiment
6th Guards Division
18th Mountain Gun Regiment
1st Engineer Co
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
40th Field AA Battalion
21st Army

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

New frontline fighters

More and more Tojo's are entering service.
I'm upgrading every second unit in Malaya - Burma and Australia.
Also trying to combine fighter units; much better to have size 36-42-45 units when you need to perform sweeps.

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 694
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 11:08:10 PM   
PzB74

Quiet turn.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 17, 42

Been musing about how to defend the rest of Oz.
If we want to keep it throughout 42 we need to fight for it.

- After the West Coast Exodus is over we can divide the occupied territories into 2 main zones.

1. The area from Normanton and down to Rockhampton and west towards Alice Springs

As you can see there are 850 vehicles and 67k troops reported in Maryborough with another 21k in Charleville.

I've dug in a small army in the rough terrain north of Charleville.
The challenge is those large mech units rolling into Rockhampton; if Andy move in reinforcements I can't hold if our forces are divided.

I'm therefore thinking of abandoning Townsville if a strong enemy force is moving in and instead fighting for Bowen which is closer to Townsville and in more favorable defensive terrain. If Andy tries to flank us he can't be equally strong on both axis and I can divert forces towards the flanks and take advantage of the very strong net of airfields and aviation support I'm building in the area. Together with 2100 AV we should be able to resist a strong enemy force.

When we are threatened by overwhelming force I will order a general evacuation from the coastal cities and use the fleet to support our withdrawal. The hope is to hold on throughout 42.

2. North Coast and road leading down to Alice Springs

This is a challenging place to attack / defend. When Andy rolls in here he will bring with him his mechanized army.
The question is if he will move on Alice Springs before or after Rockhampton - Townsville. In any case, we have to be ready.
- The big, big, big danger is being defeated at Alice Springs and pursued by large number of tanks units all the way back into Darwin. This can not be allowed and there are only a couple of remedies - and I need to implement them both.

a) Reinforce Alice Springs so much that Andy can't boot us out
b) Prepare fortified positions to the rear of Alice Springs with dug in reinforcements that can halt an armored pursuit.

- The question is: how many AV do we need and how many can we provide.
At least 1500 in Alice Springs alone with 200 more in Tennant Creek.
...I need to get to work!

Again I'm counting on a strong Army Air Force in the area around Townsville to seriously disrupt an enemy attack.
I've already moved an Air HQ to Alice Springs and will move a 100 Tojo's there.

Eastern Oz

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PzB -- 4/10/2010 11:09:59 PM >

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 695
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/10/2010 11:13:02 PM   
PzB74

Looks like I'm going to the London office to do some work soon...any cockneys around for a beer around the 25-26th of April?
Still a tentative date, but these are the dates I got for now.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 696
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 1:05:53 AM   
2ndACR

You should look Andy us.......A Scot IIRC.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 697
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 1:43:27 AM   
PzB74

Yep, gave him a notice today!

Another quiet turn. Continued night bombing air attacks against Magwe in Burma by multiple enemy units.
5 ac were actually destroyed on the ground today as weather improved. Let's try some Oscars on night CAP to discourage them.

Spent time going over combat formations this turn to "scrounge" units
The idea is to keep key areas well manned and keep building up quiet sectors while keeping them relatively lightly garrisoned.
- If I can manage ca 4000 AV in Australia we can split them and send 2000 to the SRA and 2000 to NG - Solomons when we bug out.

New units in China that arrives with only a cadre will be released for a low amount of PPs and shipped to places like Truk and Singapore to build up to full strength.

The 2nd Carrier Fleet is now in Truk; is tempting to send it out to raid shipping lanes as I feel confident that no large US carrier fleet is about...hm

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 18, 42

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 698
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 12:48:24 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

I still don't have the game, but i think one of AE changes was that units costs in PP depends on TOE and not on actual strength. So cost in PP is the same for full and depleted unit. But probably I am wrong - could you check that?

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 699
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 1:01:28 PM   
Nomad

That is true for aircraft, not completely sure about LCUs.

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 700
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 2:11:19 PM   
castor troy

quote:

Also asked about supply requirements inside and outside base hexes; here's the Dr Ground combat reply

Units will be undersupplied if in a non base hex because local bases have limited ability to stockpile along the Assam border.

I´m sorry, but Dr. Ground combat is wrong here. Completely. Units in a NON BASE HEX will drown in supplies if you have a base within halve a dozen hexes that has supplies. Units in a BASE hex will starve beceause the base won´t get enough supplies but outside the base hex the units draw supplies en masse. Sure, there´s some spoilage but do you really care about supply spoilage as the Allied? Guess not. And if you do, you´ve done something wrong because you can move in a million supplies in no time, so I wouldn´t care if 250.000 would be spoilage. He can supply as many units in the Burmese jungle as he wants. If he haven´t found out how to do it then I wonder if anyone ever has looked into the supply routines of the game. They are borked, sorry. There are enough people around that stated it already. You can´t supply your troops IN a base but you can without a problem (besides spoilage if that even is a problem) OUTSIDE a base.

If you won´t believe me, I can mail you my latest safe file from my PBEM, I´ve got a nice Army marching around in the Burmese jungle. I can´t give you the exact composition or the total av because I don´t want to give away this intel to my opponent, but I can asure you, it´s more than you would believe. And obviously more than Andy can ever think of.

The same was true when I marched a 2500 av Army from Alice Springs to Katherine (over a dozen hexes). I could not supply a single unit at Tennant Creek or Daly Waters but as soon as the Army was out of the base, they drowned in supplies. And those supplies came from Alice Springs, not Tennant Creek or Daly Waters.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 4/11/2010 2:17:50 PM >

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 701
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 4:49:02 PM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

I´m sorry, but Dr. Ground combat is wrong here. Completely. Units in a NON BASE HEX will drown in supplies if you have a base within halve a dozen hexes that has supplies. Units in a BASE hex will starve beceause the base won´t get enough supplies but outside the base hex the units draw supplies en masse. Sure, there´s some spoilage but do you really care about supply spoilage as the Allied? Guess not. And if you do, you´ve done something wrong because you can move in a million supplies in no time, so I wouldn´t care if 250.000 would be spoilage. He can supply as many units in the Burmese jungle as he wants. If he haven´t found out how to do it then I wonder if anyone ever has looked into the supply routines of the game. They are borked, sorry. There are enough people around that stated it already. You can´t supply your troops IN a base but you can without a problem (besides spoilage if that even is a problem) OUTSIDE a base.

If you won´t believe me, I can mail you my latest safe file from my PBEM, I´ve got a nice Army marching around in the Burmese jungle. I can´t give you the exact composition or the total av because I don´t want to give away this intel to my opponent, but I can asure you, it´s more than you would believe. And obviously more than Andy can ever think of.

The same was true when I marched a 2500 av Army from Alice Springs to Katherine (over a dozen hexes). I could not supply a single unit at Tennant Creek or Daly Waters but as soon as the Army was out of the base, they drowned in supplies. And those supplies came from Alice Springs, not Tennant Creek or Daly Waters.

Castor: I think you should post this over in Andy's thread. He is one of the guys involved in helping make the game and he should be made aware of this.

Post #: 702
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 4:52:45 PM   
PzB74

I can confirm that Castor Troy; had some units in Wuchang and that base is constantly low on supplies even after delivering 130k supplies to Central China. All other bases have supplies, but even using draw supplies I can not get supplies in here and the LCU's were starting to disintegrate. So I moved the units out of the base and one hex towards the enemy.
- Immediately the units gained full supply status....so something is not working 100% here.

Forwarded these comments to Andy!

Monter; LCUs are still much much cheaper to change when understrength.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 19, 42

Far fewer sub sinkings; no convoys spotted in Central Pacific.
Still numerous targets in Indian Ocean.

Sub Attacks

Submarine attack near Colombo at 28,49

Japanese Ships
SS I-30

Allied Ships
xAK Rajput, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Rajput is sighted by SS I-30
SS I-30 launches 6 torpedoes at xAK Rajput

Many attacks against our undefended base north of Mandalay.
Training missions or is Andy interested?

Air Combat

Morning Air attack on Shwebo , at 59,45

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 14

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 5 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5
Morning Air attack on Lashio , at 62,46
Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 15

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 3
Afternoon Air attack on Shwebo , at 59,45

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 12

No Allied losses

Runway hits 1
Afternoon Air attack on Shwebo , at 59,45

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 11

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 3

Fighting to eliminate Chinese units behind our lines...take time, lots of time.

Ground Combat

Ground combat at Kiukiang (85,53)

Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 15596 troops, 124 guns, 301 vehicles, Assault Value = 651

Defending force 4889 troops, 23 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 172
Japanese adjusted assault: 615

Allied adjusted defense: 16
Japanese assault odds: 38 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), disruption(-), preparation(-)
experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
20 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 5 (0 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
272 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 27 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 25 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
12th Tank Regiment
Kyuko Naval Guard Unit
13th Tank Regiment
37th Division

Defending units:
28th Chinese Corps

Dave upgrades to A6M3?

This seaplane unit can upgrade the the A6M3 later this year
Iffy!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PzB -- 4/11/2010 4:53:50 PM >

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Post #: 703
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 5:09:13 PM   
PzB74

Central Oz

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 704
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 5:19:54 PM   
Cribtop

Monter - please accept my sincere condolences for the heartbreaking loss your nation suffered this weekend.

PzB - what decision did you reach vis a vis single KB or CarDivs? I am currently pondering the same choice in my own game against DSwain.

PS - PzB you must have an interesting job (first Singers, now London).

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 705
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 6:09:18 PM   
PzB74

Yeah, that was a double tragedy Monter; plane crash on the way to remember Katyn....

For now I'm running all 6 fleet carriers in one "Main KB" TF and has split out the Junyo's and light carriers into the 2nd Carrier Fleet which also operates as a single TF. What I fear the most with splitting carriers into divisions is unwanted reaction...

Yeah, it can be an interesting job; working with information management in the Norwegian state owned oil company - Statoil.
My business unit has trading offices in Norway, London, Riga, Singapore and Stamford (NY).

Maybe there will be a trip to NY later this year!
- That would be kewl, never been State side!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 706
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 6:16:08 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

That is true for aircraft, not completely sure about LCUs.

I think you are right - it's not the same for LCU's. I see them vary just based upon squads ready/disabled.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 707
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/11/2010 10:30:50 PM   
PzB74

The troops have marched to the hex NW of Geraldton and the chase is back on....
The tanks will race back to Carnarvon while the poor ground troops will be attacked and pursued no doubt.
Need to get the cadres out; rebuilding them at Singapore will allow me to release the reserves currently serving garrison duty there.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 22, 42

Been lurking around Colombo looking for prey...ship's been coming and going so we went in.
Not a great victory...only 2 small ships.

Surface Combat

Night Time Surface Combat, near Colombo at 29,48, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Natori
CL Abukuma
DD Akatsuki
DD Tadeshiwa
DD Katsutade
DD Tachekaze

Allied Ships
AM Ipswitch, Shell hits 16, and is sunk
AM Eland Dubois, Shell hits 6, and is sunk

Japanese Ships Reported to be Approaching!
Allied TF begins to get underway
Low visibility due to Thunderstorms with 67% moonlight

Thought we were in trouble but the mine caused slight damage!

TF 182 encounters mine field at Colombo (29,48)

Japanese Ships
CL Abukuma, Mine hits 1

Sub Attacks

Lack of targets caused this sub to move into Pearl..not the best target it found but ok.

Submarine attack near Pearl Harbor at 180,107

Japanese Ships
SS I-26, hits 1

Allied Ships
xAKL Vincent, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage

xAKL Vincent is sighted by SS I-26
SS I-26 attacking on the surface
Chiyoshima V. decides to submerge SS I-26 due to damage

Ground Combat

Think the Chinks are out of engineers

Ground combat at Kiukiang (85,53)
Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 15595 troops, 124 guns, 301 vehicles, Assault Value = 660

Defending force 3821 troops, 21 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 75
Japanese adjusted assault: 606

Allied adjusted defense: 1
Japanese assault odds: 606 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2982 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 295 disabled
Non Combat: 59 destroyed, 231 disabled
Engineers: 42949671 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 19 (16 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
12th Tank Regiment
Kyuko Naval Guard Unit
13th Tank Regiment
37th Division

Defending units:
28th Chinese Corps

------------------------------------------------------------

Found this interesting picture of the wrecked heavy cruiser Aoba at Kure in 45....

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 708
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/12/2010 4:44:58 AM   
Cribtop

I think those million plus cas numbers occur when a unit is wiped out. Noticed I inflicted 4 Million plus casualties on the Lusu War Area HQ when it was bombed out of existence in my game. It was the only LCU in the hex and thus a perfect test case.

Statoil, eh? I work for the Texas equivalent of Statoil - the Texas General Land Office.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 709
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/12/2010 9:54:35 PM   
PzB74

Yep, same old quirk!
Statoil is getting increasingly involved in North America; Canadian Oil sands, Peregrino - just bought the South Riding Point Terminal in the Bahamas. My brother works for a Texan company; Weatherford.

Quiet turn...reading about the German advance towards Stalingrad

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 23, 42

Intel

Have you noticed; when you get an intel report about a friendly base it actually means that the Allies has received SIGINT about that very base. Here Wake has a 1/1 detection.

If you get detection regarding an enemy occupied base you can move the cursors over it and gain some intel.
- Get 2 intel reports and you could get some valuable information like ships in port list.

Except from this its very very hard to get anything out of Jap intel.
If you collect the intel reports in WitP tracker it's possible to look for repeated "high activity" reports in certain areas of the map to look for enemy concentrations.

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 710
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/12/2010 10:43:57 PM   
aprezto

Oh yes. Very much use this...  the first place I look on opening a new turn is Sigint.

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 711
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/12/2010 10:48:14 PM   
crsutton

quote:

[/color]

[.

As an Allied player I get sick to my stomach just looking at the pilots in this one squadron... In 9/42 I bet I don't have a dozen pilots total with exp over 80, and pilots with exp over 70 are a rare treat.....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 712
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/13/2010 9:08:14 PM   
PzB74

Well, not deeply impressed about how well crack pilots perform, the ac still seems much more important.
Put a crack pilot in a Nate and send him up against a noobie in a Warhawk and the result would be very uncertain (for the Nate).
- Now as I'm upgrading Nates to Tojo's life is looking up though! Andy is assembling an awful lot of airpower in Calcutta - Burma. Need to build multiple airfields in depth to stand a chance to face them. Not giving up on Burma.

Also considered how well we should defend Oz; in basic a delay in Oz is a buffer against landings in the SRA-DEI and Solomons-PNG. So I'll try to stand firm throughout the year.

Another quiet turn but found an enemy fleet at PH and a sub launched 6 torps at the Enterprise!
....Lucky E got away with it

Andy must have sent the Enterprise and Hornet back to Pearl for repairs after we knacked them in Sydney.
So his carriers are divided.

Yorktown is in Sydney - one way or another :-)
Saratoga and Formidable observed east of Perth
Enterprise (and probably Hornet) at Pearl

I assume that the Lady Lex is also is at Pearl.
Not sure if the Wasp has arrived yet, isn't it 07-42 she arrives?

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 713
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/13/2010 10:59:57 PM   
Monter_Trismegistos

Thanks for condolences.

I see you have 6th Guards Division. I never heard about such unit, she wasn't present in WitP. Did you have combined some smaller units to get her?

Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 714
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/13/2010 11:16:38 PM   
PzB74

We are playing scenario 2; Hakko Ichiu which gives Japan some extra units among others the 6th Guards Division and the 21st Army.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Monter_Trismegistos)
Post #: 715
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/18/2010 8:54:17 PM   
PzB74

Back after a few days way with work and family!

Some good and bad news this turn; We're forced back north of Geraldton and the KB moves next to a single tanker east of Perth.
No strikes but numerous attacks by Val's on search. At least this will force Andy to disperse and change his air dispositions.
Need to buy our grunts on land some time.

The good news I've save for last, see end of report

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Jul 25, 42

Air Combat

Put a CAP over out troops north of Geraldton.
Didn't think it was possible for fighters to sweep a non base hex but it seems like that's just what happened this turn!
First 18 P-40's arrived and 5-6 ac were lost on both sides but the CAP was exhausted and the follow up strikes could bomb almost at will. Hm....

Morning Air attack on 65th Brigade, at 50,140
Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 16 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 30000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 2 minutes
Morning Air attack on 6th Guards Division, at 50,140

Raid spotted at 22 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
B-25B Mitchell x 6
B-26 Marauder x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-25B Mitchell: 1 damaged
B-26 Marauder: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
132 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-25B Mitchell bombing from 7000 feet *
Ground Attack: 3 x 500 lb GP Bomb
7 x B-26 Marauder bombing from 7000 feet *
5 x B-26 Marauder bombing from 7000 feet *

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (6 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 30000
Raid is overhead

Also attacking 20th Infantry Regiment ...
Also attacking 65th Brigade ...
Also attacking 21st Army ...
Also attacking II./124th Infantry Battalion ...
Morning Air attack on 65th Brigade, at 50,140

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 2

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 11000 feet

Ground Combat

Bugger, tried hard to avoid a retreat odds, but 898 - 441 is a low margin 2-1 and we're forced out.
Only 2 units pursue.

Ground combat at 50,140

Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 12321 troops, 121 guns, 1134 vehicles, Assault Value = 780

Defending force 17271 troops, 151 guns, 22 vehicles, Assault Value = 563
Allied adjusted assault: 898

Japanese adjusted defense: 441
Allied assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
5743 casualties reported
Squads: 143 destroyed, 162 disabled
Non Combat: 192 destroyed, 74 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 5 (4 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (2 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Units retreated 7

Allied ground losses:
187 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 169 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Vehicles lost 207 (5 destroyed, 202 disabled)
Units pursuing 2

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
2nd USMC Tank Battalion
2/9th Armoured Regiment
10th Light Horse Battalion
192nd Tank Battalion
194th Tank Battalion
1st Motor Brigade
2/11th Armoured Car Battalion
255th Armoured Brigade
2/5th Armoured Regiment
159th Mot Infantry Regiment
7th Armoured Brigade

Defending units:
65th Brigade
II./124th Infantry Battalion
20th Infantry Regiment
6th Guards Division
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
40th Field AA Battalion
21st Army

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub Attacks

After the failed attack on Enterprise last turn I thought it was a missed opportunity that you only get a few of during a long war. I didn't order any more subs into Pearl Harbour but we do have subs that sweep past the base routinely.

- First the I-4 makes spots the carrier Hornet; launch 4 torpedoes and score a hit!
The hit cause an ammo storage explosion..the sub then hits a mine retreating from PH. Damage is serious but she should make it to Kwajalein!

Japanese Ships
SS I-4

Allied Ships
CV Hornet, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

CV Hornet is sighted by SS I-4
SS I-4 launches 4 torpedoes

TF 101 encounters mine field at Pearl Harbor (180,107)

Japanese Ships
SS I-4, Mine hits 1, on fire

Ok a torp hit on a carrier is great...but there is more!! The I-25 has also smelled blood and follows I-4 and
also spots the Hornet, now burning fiercly! Another 6 torpedoes are lanunched and again the Hornet is hit!
A double whammy!! ..and now damage is heavy.

...again the sub hits a mine heading out of PH and again damage is serious but not critical.
Talk about events repeating themselves.

Japanese Ships
SS I-25

Allied Ships
CV Hornet, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

SS I-25 is sighted by CV Hornet
SS I-25 launches 6 torpedoes

TF 69 encounters mine field at Pearl Harbor (180,107)

Japanese Ships
SS I-25, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

The Hornet takes 2!

The Hornet is - of course - reported sunk but there are no reports of heavy CAG losses, so I assume
she will make it into PH.

Still, over a few weeks we have crippled 2 US carriers and damage a British without taking friendly losses.
This is just what I'm trying to achieve; cause attrition on the enemy and make our carrier dominance complete for
another year. I now doubt Andy can gather a carrier force that can threaten the KB before late 43

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 716
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/18/2010 9:49:06 PM   
Cribtop

Banzai! re the Hornet.

Do you think the sweeps were fighters on escort mission that lost track of their bombers? It doesn't look like it from the combat report but it did occur to me as one possibility.

That said, I can't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to perform air superiority missions a/k/a sweeps over non-base hexes.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 717
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/18/2010 10:53:08 PM   
PzB74

Numerous sweeps against non base hexes have been performed; so I guess it's possible.
- What I'm interested in is CAG sweeps against enemy CAP over TFs and carriers....unfortunately that's not possible.

Not much to report in the next turn; both sides are now building up strength.
Expecting Andy to prepare offensives in Oz and Burma before focus shifts to amphibious invasion in late 43.
It's therefore natural for us to concentrate our troops accordingly.

Production of Tojo's is increasing; truly a blessing to get rid of the useless Oscars.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 718
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/19/2010 2:39:29 AM   
aprezto

My knowledge of non-sweep is on your own bases. I wished to sweep you in Jahore from Singapore while I still held it and was not able to.

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 719
RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac - 4/19/2010 8:09:10 AM   
castor troy

quote:

Numerous sweeps against non base hexes have been performed; so I guess it's possible.
- What I'm interested in is CAG sweeps against enemy CAP over TFs and carriers....unfortunately that's not possible.

Not much to report in the next turn; both sides are now building up strength.
Expecting Andy to prepare offensives in Oz and Burma before focus shifts to amphibious invasion in late 43.
It's therefore natural for us to concentrate our troops accordingly.

Production of Tojo's is increasing; truly a blessing to get rid of the useless Oscars.

you can sweep non base hexes if there are enemy ground units there. You should note though that those sweeps could also be escorts that fail to meet up with the bombers, then going in as a sweep.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: BACK IN BUSINESS - PzB goes East again(st) Andy Mac Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI