Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Port Moresby invaded!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Port Moresby invaded!! Page: <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/3/2011 7:19:43 AM   
inqistor

Why does your new CVL, in early 1944, have no radar?

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB
Question 1: Will the division move the remaining 4 miles in combat mode by next turn (it moved 7 miles in Move mode)?
Question 2: I have a full strength tank div that can enter and assault Bassein from Rangoon tomorrow in combat mode.
Should I send it in together with paras and full air strikes to rout the enemy and bring our left flank units home at the risk of getting the tank div mauled as well?

If enemy will hit your LCU with air, it could not march 4 miles, also there can be additional enemy LCUs the next day, so you will not know, until you try. But if terrain is clear, it is a good opportunity to rout Allied units.

Forts will not help you much, because engineers will reduce them, and any attack can reduce them further, so level 5 will probably last only 3 days, you need more, than even 2k AV to hold Rangoon.
Rotate your troops, and do not let your tank units into prolonged battles.

Since New Guinea have such hard terrain, you can expect another amphibious assault somewhere near PM, so prepare your airforces well. You should have enough lvl 2 airfields to spread them, and minimise bad weather.
Also, push will be probably north, and Rabaul will be only neutralised, so you should prepare Ambon defense.

The main problem, I have with 4Es, is that they seem to be immune to flak. Seriously, 100 4Es attack several AA units, and they get only ONE plane damaged? How hard is to hit 4E, especially when it is attacking directly you? If half of attackers willl be damaged during attack, they would spend lots of time in repairs, and now, they can be send in full strength day, after day.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2791
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/3/2011 7:30:29 AM   
Rainer79

Ahem, as a victim of the great New Guinea Overland Campaign I can say with confidence that Andy won't be needing to make any amphibious landings there. Just dump the troops and supplies in PM, set them to move mode and in a couple of weeks you'll be in Lae. The same supply system that lets the allied armies cross several undeveloped hexes in a row in Burma also works in the Pacific (even better there as there is no monsoon to consider).

< Message edited by Rainer79 -- 9/3/2011 7:31:55 AM >

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 2792
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/3/2011 7:49:58 AM   
inqistor

I would expect amphibios assault at the SE penisula tip (Milne Bay), as getting there on foot will take 2 months.

Also, there will be probably some landings at western coast, further north. Getting to Lae is kinda risky, when Japan have so many airfields around Rabaul, and Lae.

(in reply to Rainer79)
Post #: 2793
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/3/2011 4:09:15 PM   
PzB74

Regarding Burma railroad Andy says "No worries if you can find an alternate Pwhex I will have no issues with changing to it".
- I then asked him whether the map just can't be edited, all we need is to change 3 road hexes to railroad...?

This is a special bulletin; I was quite worried about the outcome of today's ground battles!
There were again heavy battles in the air with losses on both sides. Allied ground nukers, the B-25s concentrated on Toungoo and the "opportunity"
Andy suddenly got there due to our FUBAR move. This saved our bassein bound forces and our army bombers succeeded in bombing the enemy troops there.

Still, another Chindit Brigade had been flow in during the night and the defenders fielded the following units:
3rd Carabiniers Regiment
267th Armoured Brigade
8th KGV Light Cav Regiment
Gardner's Horse Regiment
4th Marine Regiment
75th IAC Regiment
268th Motorised Brigade
Guides Cavalry Regiment
16th Chindit Brigade
3rd (Special Force) Division

That's 7 armored regiments and brigades, 1 marine regiment, 1 Chindit brigade and one special force division (or remnants).
Our elite 1st Tank division together with the elite 33rd division shock attacked from the east and west. As mentioned the 33rd division attacked in move mode in order to coordinate with the panzer division.

We just managed a 2-1 odds and Bassein was swept clean of enemy forces for the second time this month

This is a major victory, it ensures that our left flank troops will reach Rangoon (more or less in one piece) and we have routed a major part of the Allied air and armored troops in the Rangoon region.
In Toungoo I raced in some reserves and through heavy fighting we staved off the storm, it's now possible for us to march in further reinforcements and stabilize the front there.

Our rearguard north of Rangoon, a militia unit was routed and the enemy advanced units are now close to Rangoon.

Gawd, we needed this!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 28, 44

Sub Attacks

Submarine attack near Port Moresby at 98,130

Japanese Ships
SS I-173, hits 4

Allied Ships
xAK Chief Washakie, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

xAK Chief Washakie is sighted by SS I-173
SS I-173 attacking on the surface
Matsumura S. decides to submerge SS I-173 due to damage

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Combat

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 49,48
Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Sepia, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Pasha
xAK Urbino

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x G3M3 Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground Combat

Ground combat at Bassein (54,52)
Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 20701 troops, 251 guns, 658 vehicles, Assault Value = 813
Defending force 12212 troops, 144 guns, 810 vehicles, Assault Value = 723

Japanese adjusted assault: 399
Allied adjusted defense: 193

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 0)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Bassein !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
1942 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 99 disabled
Non Combat: 11 destroyed, 240 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 34 disabled
Vehicles lost 390 (25 destroyed, 365 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2039 casualties reported
Squads: 112 destroyed, 24 disabled
Non Combat: 360 destroyed, 24 disabled
Engineers: 44 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 29 (29 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 751 (751 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 10

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
1st Tank Division
33rd Division

Defending units:
3rd Carabiniers Regiment
267th Armoured Brigade
8th KGV Light Cav Regiment
Gardner's Horse Regiment
4th Marine Regiment
75th IAC Regiment
268th Motorised Brigade
Guides Cavalry Regiment
16th Chindit Brigade
3rd (Special Force) Division
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Toungoo (57,50)
Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 42438 troops, 779 guns, 401 vehicles, Assault Value = 1847
Defending force 18314 troops, 194 guns, 171 vehicles, Assault Value = 638

Allied adjusted assault: 796
Japanese adjusted defense: 787

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 3)
Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), op mode(-), leaders(+)
preparation(-), fatigue(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
736 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 75 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 53 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Vehicles lost 28 (2 destroyed, 26 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
947 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 70 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 56 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 18 disabled
Vehicles lost 24 (1 destroyed, 23 disabled)

Assaulting units:
20th Indian/B Division
147th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
23rd Indian Division
5th Chinese Corps
20th Indian/A Division
18th British Division
20th Indian/C Division
97th Field Artillery Battalion
26th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
56th Heavy AA Regiment
20th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
6th Medium Regiment
Burma Corps
24th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
23rd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
NCAC
3rd Tac Air Force
14th Indian Light AA Regiment
2nd Indian Heavy AA Regiment

Defending units:
37th Division
9th Tank Regiment
6th Guards Division
Ground combat at 55,52 (near Rangoon)
Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 24016 troops, 500 guns, 271 vehicles, Assault Value = 875
Defending force 1042 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 33

Allied adjusted assault: 640
Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 640 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), leaders(+), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1177 casualties reported
Squads: 61 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 83 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 1 disabled
Units retreated 1

Allied ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
19th Indian Division
14th Indian Division
XV Indian Corps

Defending units:
7th Burma Militia Regiment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bassein

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 2794
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/3/2011 4:36:55 PM   
Nemo121

Most importantly check out the Vehicles Lost section of the Allied forces at Bassein - 751 vehicles lost. Not disabled, lost. That represents the almost total destruction of all those armoured regiments.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2795
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/3/2011 4:56:24 PM   
PzB74

Yes, I'm aware of that
Firstly, the close 2-1 odds takes first priority in Tokyo celebrations!
The joy over destroyed enemy tank army in Burma is a good second while the rescue of our left flank is third!-)

Ref. Burma map again:
Andy: "I am happy to operate with a new map or pw hex but I have no idea how to go about it
Ask in the scenario builder forum the map is an irrelevance apart from the graphical look of it
The key is the pwhex that says how the map interacts
If you ask maybe someone has one already built."

So if any of you got a working map already....send me a note and perhaps the Burma railroad will be completed after all!

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2796
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/3/2011 6:17:05 PM   
PzB74

Our "new CVLs" are the CS conversions; they will first upgrade with radar 6/44.

Burma

Lots of drama in Burma...the question now is whether Andy will march his 250k troops into Rangoon or attempt to march west and cut of Toungoo.
The next 4-5 days will show, until then we consolidate our forces. I've ordered 6 supply convoys to move to Bangkok and Singapore.

Within 10 days we should have reorganized and rested our air force as well.
Lots of base units and support units milling about between Moulmein and Rahaeng...because the railroad isn't there!-)

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2797
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/3/2011 8:21:09 PM   
PzB74

Andy asks which beta patch I suggest we upgrade to, any suggestions - latest?
Also, who said they had already done an upgrade to their map to include the Burma railroad?

Next turn just completed, we're now in March 1944.
Nothing great to report...another assault on Toungoo, achieved 1-1 odds and reduced forts to 1.
Moving in some reinforcements but it could be time to move south.

Question is now whether to stand and fight for Rangoon or move back to Geisha line in good order.
What do you think?

Let's now see if our tank regiment on the road from Ramree Island has any effect on Allied supplies.
Despite no roads the units attacking at Toungoo doesn't lack supplies...but that may change. Let's challenge Andy on his "supply acuteness"-)

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 29, 44

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 45496 troops, 879 guns, 482 vehicles, Assault Value = 2078
Defending force 19810 troops, 263 guns, 316 vehicles, Assault Value = 586

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 1
Allied adjusted assault: 674

Japanese adjusted defense: 763

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
729 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 25 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 105 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Vehicles lost 61 (3 destroyed, 58 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
677 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 78 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 85 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 32 (1 destroyed, 31 disabled)

Assaulting units:
20th Indian/A Division
84th Indian Brigade
18th British Division
20th Indian/C Division
23rd Indian Division
5th Chinese Corps
20th Indian/B Division
66th Chinese/C Corps
Burma Corps
3rd Tac Air Force
6th Medium Regiment
56th Heavy AA Regiment
NCAC

Defending units:
37th Division
9th Tank Regiment
6th Guards Division
4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
21st Fld AA Gun Co
18th JNAF AF Unit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burma

In March 1944 numerous Jap air units expand in size...and that's positive for us.
Larger, more effective units and increased pilot training capacity.

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2798
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 1:04:49 PM   
janh

Congratulations, the 2nd battle of Bassein was really an impressive victory for IJ.  Would be curious what those 751 destroyed tanks consisted of.  Probably mostly M3, M4 and some British types I would guess, but I don't know the ToE of these Allied units.  Anyway, 751 tanks will require Andy some time to replace, and one of his armored fists in Burma is basically whiped out with this for the next few weeks.  I wounder whether some Jacksonian aggressiveness would be in order to pursuit and destroy the routed forces, but for that proper intel of the units Andy could (have) send to their support would be needed, and a security line for a subsequent withdrawal to Rangoon. Of what units/AV again does the Allied stack north of Rangoon consist?

Southern Burma looks pretty chaotic.  Probably favors you as much as it hurts.  The guys with 4 IJA Tank Rgt. surely aren't happy about their situation, but they hopefully will turn into a pain in Andy's supply routes and communication.  I wonder how he missed that.
Toungoo will surely soon fall, but as long as it exists, and with it substantial resistance north of Rangoon, Andy will be prevented from uniting his separate pushes.  Looks to me like a good way to bind superior numbers, but a slow fighting withdrawal due south might be in order.  Besides, what is the indicated movement in one of your maps to the hex south of Prome?

If I were Andy at this point, I would , or I would now bypass Rangoon and bottle it with two Indian divisions to the north while rushing into Pegu, and simultaneously trying to assault Toungoo and severe the N-S railroad between them.  If he can severe that life-line, he prevents the fast movement of reinforcements which presently it a huge benefit for you.  He might need to take a break, rest and clean up in the rear (assuming low supplies and need for replacement, and reorganization), though perhaps his forces are still in such a good shape (or reinforced/swapped out against fresh units) that he can keep rushing ahead towards Moulmein and Rahaeng. Before he gets to the gates of Bangkok he will probably need a large port in his rear, and the air bases of Rangoon or perhaps Victoria point would also be extremely valuable, but for now he seems to be able supply his army by plane and rail from the northern Burma basin if he can secure the Toungoo RR.

Regarding the situation anywhere between Java and the Line Islands, I would also try to establish a second foothold somewhere near Port Moresby to set up a second large air base, and start a large attritional air war against all of your bases between the Solomons and Northern Guinea.  If he can achieve that, he might effectively neutralize the whole area including Rabaul.  At this late point in time, he will surely not revert to a  slow island hopping campaign in a region which is stragtegically unimportant for the Allies, but an awesome buffer zone for IJ.  Milne Bay could be a target for an amphib op, or an overland campaign.  I likely would save my naval assets and start a slow overland campaign against it, as well as Lae and Buna, if I were in his position.  Time is of no great importance here anyway as long as he can keep you busy and distracted by any actions here, and he can even fly  restricted Aussie units into PM to perform this task.

If Andy will move in this region, he will likely consider jumps to more strategically relevant targets given the late date.  Any target in Java Sea could still look inviting to him since neutralizing or denying you the oil centers between Palembang and northern Borneo would be major victory.  It would open a whole theater for a good strategic bombing campaign, and has favorably short sea routes to OZ.  However, he will surely remember the outcome of his last try there.  But as Andy seems to be a rather aggressive opponent, he could try to get a foothold somewhere on Java, Timor, Flores, Ambon, etc. again if he sees an opening, so I would suggest to be on your toes there. Long term I don't know whether there is still enough time to reach the HI via this route, and through the Philippines.

If Andy doesn't push there, his options in NORPAC and CENTPAC are rather limited.  At least strategically he could reach the HI faster through this region, perhaps even bypassing the Philippines at large. More risky, but as time proceeds, Andy may be forced to take greater risks.
An Aleutean campaign might add a new front for a strategic bombing campaign against the HI, but given that no AE player ruins his air force and lacks the foresight to train and build up for the coming bomber swarm the way the Japs did historically, he will need more bases in the Marinas or on continental china if he doesn't want his bombers to be shredded piecemeal.  Otherwise, even assuming he might have the moment of surprise here, the Aleutians would gain him not much at this point, and are also too far from any major bases to risk a major naval engagement here.
That leaves three other options in my opinion:
(a) Bypassing the Line Islands and the Marshalls and move via the Wake-Midway-Marcus route directly to the Marinas: not reasonably possible since KB is still up to the match, especially for a battle in your home zone and far from Pearl, and the Marinas are probably a bristling fortress that might need some time to reduce, i.e. some time in which he and his reinforcement convoys would be very vulnerable.  If he goes for this, he would first need to bring about a decisively successful battle against KB.  Benefits, if done successfully, of course would be immense for him. 
(b) A slow island hopping through the Marshalls, to or past Truk before hitting the Marinas or Philippines.  Likely strategically unimportant for him as the Solomons, but surely faster than walking through the latter and stumbling into Rabaul, and much safer to do since closer to Pearl.  I'd almost say that would be a good training ground for him, but at the present point any approach, which must take place via Johnston Island, would be threatened by naval bombers and save heavens on both flanks (Midway/Wake and the Line Islands).  If he'd risk and loose a naval battle in the Marshalls, his cripples would have a long and dangerous route to Pearl.
(c) Retaking the Line Islands, before moving on to option a (or b) if KB was neutralized in the process.  The Line Islands were cause to the first severe defeat for his fleet, and that right outside Pearl.  They deny him direct convoy routes to the SOPAC, cover a huge sea area, act as an unsinkable carrier and forward base for subs and raiders.  He already tried twice to neutralize this problem, and retaking them would make all of his operations between OZ and CONUSA much easier and safer.  And as a flanking threat, he cannot ignore them unless he had absolute naval superiority. 

So my guess is that he will try to bring about a carrier clash somewhere, either near Pearl, and then attack the Line Islands, and perhaps simultaneously stage an amphib operation near Milne Bay, or the Aleutians, or a clash near Java, which would offer bigger short term benefits (having the Burma theater nearby). A simultaneous strike with a clash near Pearl and an invasion in the Javanese Sea is probably not possible since he must expect it to face substantial LBA and would again need CV cover.
Now, the question remaining is, wait for him and fight following his initiative and control, or preempt him? Or: how to do Andy the favor and give him a CV battle, just not exactly on his terms, and ideally before he can have his amphib operations prepared?

Lastly, could you post a general situation/strategic map?  And a few screenies of your air groups and pilots?  Given the airframe losses of Helens, Tojos, Franks, Georges and so on, I wonder what your average pilot experience presently is in your frontline units?  Can you also post a screen shot of your airframe pools?

< Message edited by janh -- 9/4/2011 1:24:45 PM >

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2799
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 2:41:21 PM   
PaxMondo

How many days until monsoons?  You might just have saved Rangoon this season ....  CONGRATS!!!!

Spectacular result at Bassein. What do you think contributed? Andy's forces must have been in bad shape, but how did you get them to be so badly beatup before the shock attack?

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 9/4/2011 2:44:38 PM >

Pax

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 2800
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 2:55:54 PM   
erstad

quote:

Would be curious what those 751 destroyed tanks consisted of. Probably mostly M3, M4 and some British types I would guess, but I don't know the ToE of these Allied units.

A lot of the destroyed vehicles will be motorized support as well.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 2801
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 3:36:11 PM   
Nemo121

Sure, you have to assume at leat 2/3rd is motorised support BUT even with that 250 tanks = about four entire armoured regiments wiped out. Either way that's a LOT of tanks dead and a very significant dent in his AV. If I were PzB I'd ground attack again and pursue with the tank formation. Taking 1,000+ AV out of the ALlied army including a lot of his armoured formations is well worth doing.

I've found that when armoured units are forced to retreat that they suffer huge numbers of completely destroyed tanks, far in excess of the proportion of infantry which are destroyed when an infantry unit is forced back.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 2802
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 3:54:27 PM   
PzB74

Here is the combar report for March 1st!
Will get to your analysis and questions in the next post.

We succeeded in Bassein because we were able to shock attack with 2 fresh elite units against worn down enemy troops low on supplies in a clear hex.
- I've been hammering the enemy LCUs there with our army bombers for weeks, so while Andy wiped out or garrison at Bassein with his B-25s we returned the favor when the situation turned around
Think I mentioned that we would try to squash him if he captured Bassein before we got our left flank units out.

Most light tanks and suppor, yes. Reason for high losses is that lots were already damaged and when forced to retreat there was a river to cross.
This doomed most vehicles, just like Dunkirk.

I've made a difficult decision; in order to comply with our cunning plan for how to keep Rangoon until Monsoon sets in Toungoo has to be abandoned.
Most major LCUs will march out during the night, leaving behind some minor units that can't follow suit. The risk of being cut of too far north from Rangoon
made it necessary; forts are almost gone and new ones have been constructed in the jungle to the south were we now consolidate with the troops from the right and northern flanks.
2 full sized divisions will now join with the Toungoo garrison; no way Andy can pass here. Also got a plan for how to keep his pincers from meeting; will get back to you on how but look
at the map and you will find the answer!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Mar 01, 44

Sub & Mine Attacks

I've stepped up mine, sub and night attacks on Port Moresby.
Max effect with least possible risk.

Submarine attack near Coos Bay at 212,63

Japanese Ships
SS I-44

Allied Ships
xAK Iron Prince, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Iron Prince is sighted by SS I-44
SS I-44 attacking on the surface
TF 313 encounters mine field at Port Moresby (98,130)

Allied Ships
AM Freemantle
APD Dickerson
DD Pakenham, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

4 mines cleared
Japanese Ships
SS I-166

Allied Ships
xAK Mokihana, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

xAK Mokihana is sighted by SS I-166
SS I-166 attacking xAK Mokihana on the surface

Night Air Combat

Night Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 98,130
Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 155 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 51 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N1 Jill x 31

Allied aircraft
P-39N1 Airacobra x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N1 Jill: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
CL Adelaide
xAP Rochussen
xAK Sea Snipe
xAK Empire Rani

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B6N1 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
23 x B6N1 Jill bombing from 15000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
49th FG/8th FS with P-39N1 Airacobra (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters to 14000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 2 minutes
Night Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 98,130
Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 159 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 47 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 15
P1Y1 Frances x 23

Allied aircraft
P-39N1 Airacobra x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged
P1Y1 Frances: 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
DD Napier
APD Dickerson, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Laffey
DD Sims
DE Austin

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x P1Y1 Frances bombing from 15000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
15 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Surface Combat

Day Time Surface Combat, near Ramree Island at 54,48, Range 30,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
MTB G-10
MTB G-11

Allied Ships
APD Noa
APA Monrovia
LST-44
LST-119
LST-121
LST-123
LCT-167
LCT-168
LCT-169
LCT-178
LCT-320
LCT-324
LCT-359
LCT-360
LCT-361
LCT-478
xAP Talma
xAP Daisy Moller
xAK Turing Mary
xAK Vitorlock
xAK Kiangsu
LSI(L) Empire Mace
LSI(L) Brisbane Star
xAK Samarina
xAK Samcalia
xAK Samvern
xAK Samois
xAK Fort Dearborn
xAK Samfield
xAK Fort Wellington
LST 161
LST 180
LST 199
LST 208
LST 214
LST 237

Japanese Ships Reported to be Approaching!
Allied TF begins to get underway
Poor visibility due to Thunderstorms
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms: 3,000 yards
Range increases to 30,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat
Day Time Surface Combat, near Ramree Island at 54,48, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
MTB G-10
MTB G-11

Allied Ships
xAK Pasha
xAK Urbino, Shell hits 4
xAKL Belray, Shell hits 4, on fire

Japanese Ships Reported to be Approaching!
Allied TF begins to get underway
Reduced visibility due to Thunderstorms
Maximum visibility in Thunderstorms: 2,000 yards
Range closes to 12,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
Range closes to 3,000 yards...
Range closes to 2,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 2,000 yards
MTB G-11 engages xAK Urbino at 2,000 yards
MTB G-10 engages xAK Urbino at 2,000 yards
MTB G-10 engages xAK Urbino at 2,000 yards
MTB G-10 engages xAKL Belray at 2,000 yards
Minegishi B. orders Japanese TF to disengage
Task forces break off...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Combat

Morning Air attack on 101st Machine Canno AA Battalion, at 56,52 , near Pegu
Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-25D1 Mitchell x 23
B-25G Mitchell x 8
P-38J Lightning x 13
F4U-1 Corsair x 3
F4U-1A Corsair x 10

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
95 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 16 disabled
Afternoon Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53
Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 137 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 47 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 120

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 5 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported

Airbase hits 22
Runway hits 146
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Burma

Andy saw our tank regiment move south towards Ramree but didn't have troops to confront it with.
Last turn it received a full load of supplies, so it's not completely cut off yet - not as long as we hold Toungoo that is.
- Andy says he's glad he managed to "dump up" first...guess that's at Prome. Not sure how it's possible, but he always find a way.

I do expect an effort to remove our annoying blocking unit though.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PzB -- 9/4/2011 3:56:16 PM >

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2803
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 4:04:32 PM   
PzB74

Strategic Map

Good analysis Janh!

I hardly expect a major amphibious invasion in the Cent Pac anymore.
Andy will come through SRA again and follow up his victories in New Guinea and Burma and drive secondary offensives from there.

That's what the oracle in Tokyo predicts anyway!-)

A continued offensive from Bassein is to dangerous; enemy ground attack ac can destroy and weaken our units so much that they will become unable to
mount a major offensive after ~1 week of attacks.

So I will withdraw the units to Rangoon - and if Andy moves back into Bassein I will send 3 tank divisions back there to kick him out again!
Doesn't that sound like a plan?

Still 75 days until monsoon begins, so there's still time for a lot of combat in Burma and the side that makes the least mistakes will prevail.
Our main objective is to keep our army intact, to hold the Geisha line. First as a third priority; hang on to Rangoon.

Our air units are still in very good health. I released 140 army pilots to replace losses in Burma and New Guinea yesterday.
I keep adding trained reinforcements and 10% rookies to each fighter unit to keep them operational. This keeps the elite pilots alive.
Can look at some stats and industries when I get the next turn.

It's difficult to build reserves of Franks, Georges and Jacks with all this fighting going on but there are elite units in Line Islands, Home Islands and SRA
that have been upgraded and earmarked for use in their respective theatres only.

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2804
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 4:08:12 PM   
PzB74

Marianas

I've stepped up the fortification of the Marianas as mentioned.
Numerous brigades, engineers, support units and HQ units have been brought in together with fuel, supplies and an air cadre.
More is on the way and already we got 3 division worth of troops and 1 Air HQ on each of the islands.

An invasion is most likely to happen against the islands that are not atolls and without rough terrain.
These are the ones that needs the largest garrisons.

The LBA potential of the Marianas combined with the full strength of the KB is quite impressive and I don't think Andy is keen on such a battle - yet...if ever!

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2805
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 9:35:05 PM   
PzB74

I asked Andy if there would be a few quiet turn now; he then said "Not really next turn should re open a front !!!"
- So I was kinda expecting a return to the SRA this turn....but nothing happened.

In return plenty other happend.

Operation Emperator

The KB strikes at PM. Yes, said I wouldn't but admirals insisted on some action!-)

The dive bombers have been ordered to perform level bombing attacks against shipping and port facilities from 9000 feet.
Fighter escort has been set at both 9000 and 15000 feet with sweeps at 30000 feet.

The KB TBDs will perform naval strikes only.
Ca 100 Betties, Nells and Frances bombers will support the attack together with 50 Judys and 50 Jills and 200 fighters.

The slow, light and escort carriers will not be part of the operation - fast carrier ops only.
This is the best way to perform agile hit and run attacks.

In Burma naval strike ac have been ordered to hit enemy shipping and fighters will attempt to sweep Ramree Island and provide support.

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2806
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 9:47:31 PM   
PzB74

The results were very dissappointing today;
I wrote this to Andy!

You will see KB making an appearance this turn at PM; it was kinda fluked. I ordered 4 KB and 6 land bases air units to sweep PM.
Not a single unit in clear weather performed sweeps. This of course cost lots of planes. In Burma I ordered 100 naval bombers to attack shipping at Ramree Island. Only the tiny Judy unit attacked;
you had no CAP and ALL my sweeps and fighters escorted the 5 Judys AM as PM. The only ac that didn't find Ramree were the long range naval bombers.

So the KB raid was a fluke because 10 fighter units refused to sweep and the LBA strikes didn't coordinate with KB strikes.
Our LBA at Christmas Island got some payback as a convoy to the south got to close.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Mar 02, 44

Sub Attacks

Our subs performed well today!

Japanese Ships
SS I-166

Allied Ships
xAK Cape Martin, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Cape Martin is sighted by SS I-166
SS I-166 attacking xAK Cape Martin on the surface
Submarine attack near Eureka at 213,64
Japanese Ships
SS I-44

Allied Ships
xAK Percy E. Foxworth, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Percy E. Foxworth is sighted by SS I-44
SS I-44 launches 6 torpedoes at xAK Percy E. Foxworth

Air Combat

Morning Air attack on TF, near Malden Island at 177,151

Raid spotted at 35 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
P1Y1 Frances x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
P1Y1 Frances: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Fort Albany
xAK Fort Charlotte, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Fort Caribou
xAK Hampstead Park, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Fort Brunswick, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x P1Y1 Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Morning Air attack on TF, near Malden Island at 177,151

Raid detected at 7 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
P1Y1 Frances x 35

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Fort Crevier, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Fort Caribou, Torpedo hits 5, and is sunk
xAK Fort Albany, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
SC-705

Aircraft Attacking:
35 x P1Y1 Frances launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Morning Air attack on TF, near Portland Roads at 91,132
Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 57 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y1 Judy x 39

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y1 Judy: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
LCT-152
LCI-219, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
LCT-151, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
LCI-85
KV Freesia, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
LCT-154
LCM 543C

Aircraft Attacking:
33 x D4Y1 Judy bombing from 15000 feet *
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
348th FG/341st FS with P-39D Airacobra (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(3 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 30000
Raid is overhead

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring LCI-219
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring KV Freesia
Morning Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 54,48

Raid detected at 104 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 26 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y1 Judy x 9
N1K1-J George x 18
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 12
Ki-45 KAIc Nick x 25

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Samois
xAK Samfield, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x D4Y1 Judy bombing from 15000 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Samfield
Morning Air attack on Ramree Island , at 54,48

Raid detected at 200 NM, estimated altitude 33,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 49 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 43
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 12
Ki-45 KAIc Nick x 25
Ki-84a Frank x 19

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x Ki-84a Frank sweeping at 30000 feet
Morning Air attack on Pegu , at 55,53
Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 55 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 19
B-17F Fortress x 15
PB4Y-1 Liberator x 35

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged
B-17F Fortress: 1 damaged
PB4Y-1 Liberator: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 183
Morning Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53
Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 131 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 45 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 103

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 2 destroyed on ground
Ki-84a Frank: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
4 casualties reported

Airbase hits 34
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 529
Port hits 1
Morning Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Raid detected at 76 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 26 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24J Liberator: 4 damaged

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 73

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 11000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
Morning Air attack on Guards Tank Division, at 54,53 (Rangoon)

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-25D1 Mitchell x 12

Allied aircraft losses
B-25D1 Mitchell: 1 damaged
B-25D1 Mitchell: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese ground losses:
64 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x B-25D1 Mitchell bombing from 11000 feet
Ground Attack: 6 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Also attacking 34th Ind.Mixed Brigade ...
Also attacking Guards Tank Division ...
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 98,130

Raid detected at 130 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 43 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N1 Jill x 33

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 9
Kittyhawk IV x 24
Spitfire VIII x 43
P-38H Lightning x 2
P-39D Airacobra x 15
P-40N5 Warhawk x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N1 Jill: 12 destroyed

No Allied losses
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 54,48
Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 151 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 39 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y1 Judy x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
LST-119, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Fort Dearborn

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x D4Y1 Judy bombing from 15000 feet

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring LST-119
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 98,130

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N1 Jill x 12

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 9
Kittyhawk IV x 23
Spitfire VIII x 39
P-38H Lightning x 1
P-39D Airacobra x 14
P-40N5 Warhawk x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N1 Jill: 7 destroyed

No Allied losses
Afternoon Air attack on Port Moresby , at 98,130

Raid detected at 150 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 38 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 179
A6M5b Zero x 17
B6N2 Jill x 27
D4Y1 Judy x 116

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 7
Kittyhawk IV x 22
Spitfire VIII x 34
P-38H Lightning x 1
P-39D Airacobra x 13
P-40N5 Warhawk x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 8 destroyed
A6M5b Zero: 1 destroyed
B6N2 Jill: 1 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 5 destroyed, 10 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IV: 1 destroyed
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed
P-40N5 Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
xAK Ensley City
DD Laffey
DD Stronghold
DE Hotspur
DD Napier
BB Revenge, Bomb hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Sagadahoc
DD Frazier
PG Charleston
xAK Dardanus, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Sims
LCVP 592Q, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
LCVP 542P, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x D4Y1 Judy bombing from 9000 feet
27 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
16 x D4Y1 Judy bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 500 kg GP Bomb
22 x D4Y1 Judy bombing from 9000 feet
24 x D4Y1 Judy bombing from 9000 feet
21 x D4Y1 Judy bombing from 9000 feet

Also attacking Port Moresby ...
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Dardanus
Afternoon Air attack on 6th Guards Division, at 57,50 (Toungoo)

Raid spotted at 28 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-25D1 Mitchell x 26
B-25G Mitchell x 9
F4U-1 Corsair x 6
F4U-1A Corsair x 8

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Also attacking 37th Division ...
Also attacking 9th Tank Regiment ...
Also attacking 5th South Seas Det. ...
Also attacking 6th Guards Division ...
Also attacking 4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion ...
Also attacking 2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment ...
Also attacking 37th Division ...
Also attacking 5th South Seas Det. ...
Also attacking 4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion ...

Ground Combat

I decided to move our major LCUs out of Toungoo this turn but had to let the support units behidn and hope Andy didn't attack this turn.
He did and routed the poor souls.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 52185 troops, 944 guns, 525 vehicles, Assault Value = 2047
Defending force 4084 troops, 106 guns, 154 vehicles, Assault Value = 81

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Allied adjusted assault: 1339
Japanese adjusted defense: 69

Allied assault odds: 19 to 1 (fort level 0)
Allied forces CAPTURE Toungoo !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), leaders(+), preparation(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1594 casualties reported
Squads: 15 destroyed, 18 disabled
Non Combat: 148 destroyed, 58 disabled
Engineers: 9 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 67 (66 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 152 (146 destroyed, 6 disabled)
Units retreated 8

Allied ground losses:
360 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 33 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 36 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
18th British Division
5th Chinese Corps
20th Indian/C Division
84th Indian Brigade
20th Indian/B Division
23rd Indian Division
20th Indian/A Division
66th Chinese/C Corps
Burma Corps
NCAC
6th Medium Regiment
3rd Tac Air Force
56th Heavy AA Regiment

Defending units:
5th South Seas Det.
21st Fld AA Gun Co
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Hvy.Artillery Regiment
4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
1st Field Artillery Regiment
Botanko Hvy Gun Regiment
18th JNAF AF Unit

Fluke strike

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2807
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 10:02:28 PM   
PzB74

The thing that really got to me this turn was to see that Andy's main army of 10 self supplied divisions appear in the hex north of Pegu!
I asked him about how far LCUs can march in different terrain and modes just days ago. He referred to the manual and I said:
"Hm, really difficult to keep track of movement speed. Suggest current movement speed should be displayed on the units, would solve it altogether."

Today I wrote back to Andy:
"I tried really hard to find out how much time your army would need to move west - east north of Rangoon.
Moving an armored unit at move mode east - west only took it 17 miles in ca 5 days. Moving on the diagonal axis the going was faster; since the road hexes on "your side" didn't have
diagonals I didn't think you would be able to move waster SSE than E. Obviously not true.

This is why I asked you about ground movement; I'm totally in the blue about what to expect and I can't find out unless I stage another game.
Planning tactics with this lack of basic know how is next to impossible.

So now I have to re-think the Burma strategy - again.
"

I was afraid of this, and that's partly why my inner voice urged me to pull out of Toungoo.
My tests with units moving east - west were false as the diagonal movement pace for Andy's army was much higher than I thought it could be.

So now we got 1700 AV in the hex south of Toungoo and north of Andy's 10 divisions. Our units that retreated did so SSE and will now move up to Taung Gyu and support the rearguard and northern flank.
If necessary they can all march safely out of Burma into Indo China as the roads are good.

In Rangoon, Pegu and Moulmein area we got a total of 4000 AV.
Obviously we need to change our plans now. The units pulling out of Bassein (the 33rd Division) will move into Rangoon next turn and with some support units defend it against the 3 divisions Andy got just north
of Rangoon.

In Rangoon proper we got 2300 AV with another 450 in Pegu.
Moulmein hold 500 AV with a fresh division ca 1 weeks march away (another 450 AV).

In the hex were Andy got his 10 divisions there is a single AA unit; when Andy attacks this next turn he can have most of his units to follow it towards Pegu.
It will take him 2 turns to be ready to attack Pegu, by that time we should have 2700 AV there.

The question now is; how do we handle the 1700 AV south of Toungoo?
- They need 2-3 turns to move together south. If they do so and Andy stays put he will most likely be able to rout them.
If they stay the enemy got 1700 AV marching south from Toungoo that will squeeze them when they merge with the 10 divisions further south.

Our only viable option is to try to combine our strength and face the enemy together. If we manage to do so we should have 4500 AV vs the Allied armies.
Much can go wrong and I'm not enthusiastic about all this FUBAR that's happening all the time.

Will take a break until tomorrow, good advice is welcome - damned tempted to say "I've had enough" right now

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2808
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 10:07:46 PM   
PzB74

This is how I will have to try to sort out the Burma chaos;

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2809
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/4/2011 11:56:39 PM   
PzB74

This is Andy's (late) reply to my question about ground movement:

"Assuming no fatigue.

Unit moving from a forest hex to a clear hex with main road
Infantry move at 5 miles per day in the forest and 30 miles on the road

So it takes 5 days to cover the 23 miles of forest
Then 1 day to cover the 23 miles of main road

So 6 days to move from one hex to another or c 8 - 9 miles per day to cross a 46 mile hex in move mode or 16 - 18 in combat mode

For Armour to do the same journey
Armour move 3 miles per day in forest and 60 per day on a road

So it takes armour 8 days to move the forest leg and 1 day for the road portion
So Armour in move mode will take c 2 days longer to do the same journey

It is NOT calculated as 30 x 50% and 5 x 50% = 17 miles per day or 60 x 50% and 3 x 50% = 31 miles per day or 2 - 3 days to cross the hex
Its one half then the other."

On the 31st of August I wrote:

Intel shows 10 enemy divs, 200k troops and 1871 AFVs north of Rangoon.
Our troops in Toungoo can hold the enemy and I have 3 divisions of troops that
will garrison the hex south of Toungoo.
- Troops can only move 2 miles per turn in move mode going west -> east, so if
Andy want to move his main army south of Toungoo it will take 20+ days.
If he so does he will have to split his army; in the 20 days to come we will
have more divisions and be able to switch troops between Rangoon and the
position south of Toungoo and hopefully create an unpassable barrier.

No one noted or reacted to this, so my erronous conclusion made Andy move a lot faster than anticipated.
So next time I say anything about movement, please tripple check me and spank me if I'm wrong

- After years I'm still ages away from a total understanding of ground combat, movement and supply systems.

Andy also says there IS a road going diagonally (SSE) to the hex north of Pegu - but no road east -west south of Toungoo
This is were I lost him, map shows no road in neither direction.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2810
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 12:06:08 AM   
erstad

Never mind, I misread something

< Message edited by erstad -- 9/5/2011 12:07:16 AM >

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2811
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 12:13:13 AM   
erstad

quote:

Andy also says there IS a road going diagonally (SSE) to the hex north of Pegu - but no road east -west south of Toungoo
This is were I lost him, map shows no road in neither direction.

There's a major road over half the distance (consistent with Andy's mail). The hex NNE of Pegu has major roads in all 6 directions. The forest hex 2 hexes N of has major roads to the SSW and NNW, and a minor road to the W.

The "R" key shows the roads in the pwhex file. The road graphics don't always show every "spur". Per the manual, "Cultivated" hexes have minor roads in all directions (except presumably where major roads exist); and "Developed" hexes have major roads in all directions.

< Message edited by erstad -- 9/5/2011 4:03:34 AM >

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2812
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 5:18:49 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

The "R" key shows the roads in the pwhex file. The road graphics don't always show every "spur". Per the manual, "Cultivated" hexes have minor roads in all directions (except presumably where major roads exist); and "Developed" hexes have major roads in all directions.

Pfft ... I have really whiffed this. I remember it now that you bring it up, but I know I have overlooked this countless times playing. I really have to remember this one ...

Pax

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 2813
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 7:10:34 AM   
PzB74

My last mail to Andy:
"It may sound strange, but what have eluded me for all these years is what you said when moving from one hex to another the road system in BOTH hexes are used.
50% in the hex were troops are moving from and 50% in the hex were troops are moving to.

The good road going NNW in the hex above Pegu for example, I always saw that as an advantage for the owner of that hex.
If the enemy wanted to march into that hex from the opposite direction he would have to use the no road hex going in the opposite direction.

When crossing into an enemy hex the battle would stand near the hex border, a battle in that hex would then give ownership of the entire hex to the winner of the battle.
Until that happened the roads would be mined, defended and denied to an attacking unit."

Example: Road in Burma

My entire misconception of the time the Allied army would spend moving SSE from the top left hex is based on the enemy being allowed to use "OUR"
good road in the lower right hex to complete their move into our hex.

A battle is therefore not waged on the hex borders, but in the centre of the hex.

I need a workshop on basic ground combat in AE

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2814
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 7:51:26 AM   
PzB74

The fact that Rangoon would remain difficult to defend doesn't change; what makes it hard is that our army is now split in 2 parts - south of Toungoo and in Rangoon-Pegu.
I will use all our available bombers to hit the enemy in the clear hex north of Pegu in the coming days in order to try and slow them down and whittle their strength away.
- You may rest assured that the opposite will happen as well...

The army south of Toungoo will move south; the armored brigade there will speed down first and it should take no more than 2 days and spearhead our move ahead of the Allied army moving south from Toungoo.

If the Allied army stays were it is it can attack us on the 3rd day; our reinforcements from Rangoon and Pegu should then have arrived and a massive battle will then take place.

The question is just how to organize this optimally.

a) We got 1 division in Bassein (350 AV) that will need 1 more day to move into Rangoon; this is ok - it will act as rearguard (again).
b) Our 2300 AV in Rangoon (including 2 tank divs) will march asap to Pegu with orders to end their move in the hex north of Pegu to support our northern army (1700 AV).
c) Ca 1000 AV of assorted troops and reinforcements in and near Moulmein will prep the defenses there.

We have 2 armored divisions in Rangoon and 1 in Pegu and these can move very fast.

The next thing I need to consider: the armored division in Pegu - should it move north in full strength asap or should I split it up and march only 1/3 of it north to face the enemy or should the entire division move north? (moving north before the enemy moves south will reset the enemy's movement and vise versa). If there are no Allied armored units north of Pegu we have an advantage.

If the tank div from Pegu moves north too early it can be routed, optimally it will support our army to the north against a deliberate attack.
How many miles it will cover in one turn depends on many things: move mode, fatigue and air interdiction.

If we can manage to engage and delay the enemy armies near Pegu in full strength (ca 4000 Jap AV vs ca 5500 Allied AV) we should be able to avoid a rout.
With our 3 armored divisions there is a good chance in blocking them there, at least for a while until we can move west towards the Geisha line.

Danger: our army south of Tougoo moves south and is routed by a superior army and routed there.
If this happens it will have to move to the Geisha line as best ican together with main army and dig in.

We should not focus much attention on holding Rangoon, it's just the usual trap.
Being defeated in Pegu before Rangoon falls means that the game system would send our defeated units back to Rangoon and anihilation instead of towards Moulmein and safety.
This is the worst case that should be avoided at all cost.

According to Andy our only chance at defense lay in holding the jungle line between Rangoon and Prome.
with no forts and an enemy 2-1 superiority this wasn't much of an option really.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2815
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 7:52:36 AM   
Rainer79

How many fort levels do you have at Pegu? If the 10 allied divisions can get full supply (and a bit of air support) you won't be able to stop them at Pegu as it is a clear terrain hex. If the forts are high enough (i.e. 6+) you might be able to delay long enough at Pegu to evacuate the Bassein/Rangoon garrisons but that's about it. Making sure that the Burma Area Army is in a shape to hold the better defense terrain along the Moulmain - Chiang Mai line should be the highest priority.

My advice would be to fall back to the positions there and write off Rangoon. Yes, it would be nice to deny it to the allies but IMO they have already made sure that they can take it before the monsoon. Get the army into the jungle where they won't suffer as much from air attack and airlift out whatever you can of the cut-off units.

Edit: Pre-empted by PzB. But the hex NE of Pegu is even worse then Pegu itself. You won't even have the benefits of forts there. Raw AV is less important than it used to be in WitP. You WILL get routed.

< Message edited by Rainer79 -- 9/5/2011 7:57:33 AM >

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2816
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 8:03:34 AM   
Cribtop

Run for the Geisha Line is my advice.

(in reply to Rainer79)
Post #: 2817
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 8:11:04 AM   
PzB74

Only 3 forts (+79%) at Pegu. Never been able to fix the massive damage caused by bombing attacks to infrastructure so fort construction stopped a long time ago.

If we march the army south of Toungoo east instead of south it will spend the next 50 days marching out of Burma via the backdoor.
This will prevent it from having to march south into the clear hex with the enemy army were it may get routed.

If we do this and send 1/3 of the tank division in Pegu up north to delay the enemy army going south we should be able to get the better part of our Rangoon army to Moulmein.
I think we should be able to withstand 1-2 attacks in Pegu with all our armor and 3 forts.

This will leave us with 3500 AV north of Moulmein with a further 2000 AV near around Taung Gyu (with an open road ESE).
- Do you think this is a better plan?

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2818
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 10:04:09 AM   
janh

Until Andy can take and open Rangoon for his lifeline, your forces in the northern region (Taung Gyu to Lashio) serve a good purpose: holding the backdoor, and tying down a significant, hopefully much larger security force of his own.  2000 AV up there seems quite a lot, though.

Bassein is useless now, as much as Rangoon is only a trap as long as he can push forward like this.  And good that you thought of the catch in the game mechanics -- you don't want to see your forces retreat back into Rangoon.  Taking a stand in Pegu might be much more reasonable than trying to unify your split army in the hex north of it.  Allied air superiority and the overestimated efficiency of their 2EB and 4EB is going to be worse on you than your poor army bombers on him.  Besides, with the equipment the Allied got in their ToE by now, his 5500 AV be more like 10k raw combat power. So the risk for this move would be high.

Getting your army reunited should be a priority, though.  It is probably a good idea to send 1/3 of an armored div, or better just a recon unit or something similarly replaceable, to the hex north to reset his movement.   And be prepared to do this a couple of times over to keep him there (though this may be gamey, or perhaps not -- just a rearguard and harassing action?).  If he goes for Rangoon in the meantime, fine.
While his main army is fixed, it'd say bite the bullet and send the units coming down from Toungoo to the RR hex just north of his position, and then reroute it into the jungle hex east.  Once there, you have the option to move it further east to Giang Mai and rail it to Rahaeng for another march to the Geisha line, or you can move it directly south to the hex east of Pegu having secondary roads. 

These moves will be slow, terribly slow, but I doubt Andy will interfere and follow into the jungle with part of his Army if you can hold onto Pegu. And that is probably a big if.  But I don't have any better idea at the moment.  You can only hope that Andy's forces are also still pretty messed up from the passed weeks, and he'll not do much else but to concentrate on Pegu.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 2819
RE: Port Moresby invaded!! - 9/5/2011 10:33:17 AM   
PzB74

Yes, the 1700 AV army south of Toungoo wants to go south, not north east and south to Giang Mai
As you can see from the map there is no major road going into the jungle. The only fast routes are south towards Pengu and east and north up to Taung Gyu,

- It will simply take to many days to move SSE. We could probably move east and then SE into the hex just NW of Giang Mai.
It would then take 23 days to get into Giang Mai. This is probably faster than moving around Taung and we would be in jungle all the time; if Andy pursued he would have to shock attack when crossing a river.

I need 1 day to get a recon unit to Pegu from Moulmein. At a cost it's probably possible to send armored units up north to delay Andy's advance south.
As long as we use sizeable units it shouldn't be gamey.

Since Moulmein is only 3 hexes from Rangoon (the water way) it may be possible to create barges to evacuate our rearguard.
This and airlift should be able to get the bulk out and we got lots of MTBs and midget subs for protection.

Allied modified AV is probably high; but how well will pure infantry divisions fare well against our 3 tank divisions?

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 2820
Page:   <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Port Moresby invaded!! Page: <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI