Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows XP Pro likes SPMBT v1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Windows XP Pro likes SPMBT v1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows XP Pro likes SPMBT v1 - 6/29/2002 2:24:21 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just got access to SPMBTv1 thanks to Mojo (hey check out my post in General Forum Mojo).

Well I run Windows XP Pro.

It wasn't mentioned in the set up process so naturally XP users might have concern.
I am here to say that this marginally computer skilled individual, has it running with no headaches hurdles or hassles.

The usual DOS concerns exist. I went and successfully configured sound (I use an ordinary Sound Blaster configuration).

When it started to install I let it create its own directory on C (didn't want to fuss or get fancy). I allowed it to create its desktop short cut and it went through that fine.
The icon begins the game as expected.

It is clearly not Steel Panthers WaW visually (duuuuh I hope no one wastes undo time lamenting that detail). It looks like early era Steel Panthers, but that is no real reason to slag it in any way.
I found the animations acceptable, the sounds were ok (hey I have heard people whine about Star Wars Episode 2 so it is clear some people are just never satisfied).
I was annoyed that the mouse drags across as if moving through mud just as it does in my Steel Panthers 3 software. I think there is a fix for that, but not sure I really care (so I need a couple of seconds more, it's not that big of a deal).

All in all, my first view of the game is this, if you were expecting to get a Steel Panthers WaW calibre grade enhancement, it isn't there.
If though your primary wish is to play Steel Panthers in a modern environment, you should be able to be happy with this.

Les the Sarge a known fan of WW2 over Modern is able to say he likes it. Hey what else do ya want eh.:D

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 6/29/2002 5:18:15 AM   
Supervisor

Great news Sarge, I'm sure you've eased the minds of many when it comes to compatibility issues.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 6/29/2002 7:55:31 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just an after action report on my first game using SPMBTv1.

Played in Korea as Marines vs the North Koreans at Pusan.

Well first things first.

People don't forget (as I did) when starting a new game of Steel Panthers...check out those game settings hehe.

Looks like this old DOS game likes Fast Artillery more than Slow Artillery (maybe that was my setting message traffic speed to other than forget it I do want to read speed).
The fight really sped up once I turfed the message traffic lag.

As for the actual battle, well going back in time I had to get used to using a version that just engages the enemy without having to click yes to each and every shot. Good thing? hmm who's to say.
Now maybe I just didn't spend long enough fussing with settings.

I let the Marines pretty much do their own thing (while I sat here and watched). Planned an air strike and an artillery barrage (seemed to take forever to arrive hehe).
The 2 darned Corsairs insisted on shooting up a trashed SU-76 instead of what I thought were perfectly viable T-34/85 tank options. 1 Mustang finally blew up the dumb immobilised SU-76, so the second mustang attacked a T-34/85 and blew it to hell (thank you) then even got the one behind it (must have been the only pilot that could see straight heheh).

The Marines got battered around quite a bit but I wasn't being to aggressive so I can't say they let me down heheh.

Might have been more aggressive with the artillery, but was always waiting for the other shoe to drop (turns out that what I saw was all there was). My 2 pershings were under used but I got 2 trucks (what a waste of ammo they were heheh).

From a technical standpoint.....

It's going to be easy to say I won't play SPMBTv1 near as much as SPWaW. The game just isn't an equal. It's ok but it basically only offers an outlet for those post WW2 urges.
The mouse thing almost drove me nuts unfortunately. Made scrolling the screen something that I avoided. As a result I tended to get lazy and just let the computer do the shooting after ending my turn.
This won't be an option on attacking though.

This one factor I think is going to make or break the game from an interest perspective to those that are not fans currently.
I have heard comments talking about this mouse hassle. I have no idea if it's fixable though myself. But fans of Modern, start checking into it. You will likely want a solution if there is one out there (and if you find it let me know, it will likely work on my SP3 game as well I am thinking).

Well there ya have it.

An AAR from about as difficult to impress observern as I think you are going to find.

Post #: 3
- 6/29/2002 10:04:28 AM   
Drex

My games with SPMBT run too fast. How do i slow it down?I have a Pentium III, 450 ,64 ram.

Post #: 4
- 6/29/2002 2:37:02 PM   
antarctic

[QUOTE]My games with SPMBT run too fast. How do i slow it down?I have a Pentium III, 450 ,64 ram.[/QUOTE]

Okay... you might be able to internally "slow down" SPMBT using inbuilt preferences... I'm not sure... cousult the "online manual" html files.

However, I do know that there is a nifty little program out there called "Turbo" which runs under windows and slows down your computer... you enter a percentage, and it slows your CPU down by that much... though you have to experiment as to what percentage you use...

Attached is the Zip.

Hope this helps.

Antarctic

Note, I believe that posting this file on this forum is NOT against copyright, as the README file allows redistribution. If I am wrong, please contact me and I will readily remove it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
- 6/29/2002 7:42:22 PM   
Drex

Thanks Antarctic I'll give it a try.

Post #: 6
- 6/30/2002 1:59:33 AM   
Mark Ezra

Moslo is what I use and the slow down works jsut fine on my P3. It is a MUST for any P3 or above. The game is fine. Remember it is SP2 with refinements by the Camo group. They are to be congradulated on their efforts to keep it going and letting us play SOME form of Modern SP. It'll stay on my HD, right next to SPWAW.

Post #: 7
- 6/30/2002 3:51:34 AM   
Alby

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drex
[B]My games with SPMBT run too fast. How do i slow it down?I have a Pentium III, 450 ,64 ram. [/B][/QUOTE]

Its in the .INI file
instructions are in the manaul how to slow things down

Post #: 8
- 6/30/2002 4:46:06 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I've heard of Moslo, but I have never had a game "run to fast".

Out of curiosity, exactly what is it on your computer that is making your games "run to fast"?

My system is a Celeron 800 and I have 8 megs in video plus my 256 Meg Ram capacity.
I have never once had a game of any sort "run to fast".

The only snag I have ever experienced in my years of computer gaming, is when the system just doesn't want to install the software, or the sound set up is to antique to recognise new hardware (my personal fav to hate is "install disk #X in drive A or B, as I no longer install non cd games, and as such the drive is D if it is anything).

So "to fast" is a phenomenon that is outside my own personal experiences.

Post #: 9
- 6/30/2002 5:28:48 AM   
Drex

hi Alby. I tried to slow the scroll speed by changing the 5th number but to no effect. I changed it from 1 to 50 and didn't notice a difference.

Post #: 10
- 6/30/2002 8:15:45 AM   
MacCready

I think its a good game,Im using my old win 95b 233 mhz machine.
It locks right up on the 1333mhz usually within 10 minutes.

It not an advanced SP engine like SPWAW but its a fine game,gotta love those years 1946-2020.Lots of countries.It's only drawback in my opinion is Matrix didn't make it.

I'm sure SPMW would have blown it out of the water.

Post #: 11
- 6/30/2002 8:23:43 AM   
Goblin

With 7.1, my mouse scroll speed in the plotting windows (artillery, paras, gliders, commandos) is off the chart! I have to just barely move the mouse, and it will jump half the board! Very frustrating. My older comp doesn't do it (Celeron 500mhz 64mb). Just the new one (AMD XP2000+ 512mb).

Goblin- A Goblin has hard time plotting;)

PS-For the record, MacCready is first class people. Off tangent maybe, but needed to be said.

Post #: 12
- 6/30/2002 9:33:59 PM   
Mark Ezra

Any relatively new Pc above P3 with a good graphic card 32,64,124 megs will Run old Dos games "Fast". Just like and 8 meg graphic card will run new games "slow" (if at all). When the split between SPCamo and Matrix occured One of the reasons was the battle over which engine would be best to advance with. Sp3 was a windows (sort of) based game, while SP2 was pure Dos. Matrix made the right choice in using the SP3 engine. But the fine guys of SPCamo have hung in there to make SP2 a still viable game. I was unable to get the sound working on the SPcamo products until I ditched my sound card for a Soundblaster PCI 512...only $50. A sound card that will accept the old dos system sound is essential to the game. If you experience crashes...even if you were able to confug sound without problems (!) it WILL BE the sound card. Of course you can play without sound. I went through some real technical hell getting the game to work with sound but it is worth it.

Post #: 13
- 6/30/2002 10:15:14 PM   
Drex

I got Mo'slo to slow SPMBT down (set it to 50%) but the sound doesn't work which doesn't bother me that much. I have a soundblaster pro.

Post #: 14
- 6/30/2002 10:47:45 PM   
MacCready

I can't see using my AMD Athlon t-bird 1333 mhz with one hand tied behind its back...(ie To Slo)

Go for that old style computer(that you can buy now for peanuts)
to play those old dos code games.

If you want compatibilty in a sound card buy a soundblaster 128.

I have not had any sound problems with it.

Post #: 15
- 6/30/2002 11:08:34 PM   
Drex

Since mo'slo is llinked to the shortcut, it doesn't affect your other programs. I usually play with sound off anyway.

Post #: 16
- 7/1/2002 12:06:42 AM   
MacCready

As long as your happy Drex thats all that matters,I can't get involved with Steel Panthers games unless there's sound.

Post #: 17
- 7/1/2002 12:24:10 AM   
Drex

yeah, my wife hates the noise and earphones hurt my ears so i use my imagination.

Post #: 18
- 7/1/2002 6:33:49 AM   
Mark Ezra

Drex there may be away to set your sound files. You would have to check out your currant sound blaster location and stting and then set sound by hand. Since we are playing this as PBEM...just let me know by private email if you'd like me to talk you through it...The instructions on of to do this are in the manual and may fix that up for you just fine. After all, your wife isn't home all day and you can use headphones, right...LOL

Post #: 19
- 7/1/2002 9:29:04 AM   
Drex

I tried the Setsound and chose all the soundblaster drivers with my IRQ (10), i/o setting (220 or 330) and my DMA channel(1) and still it wouldn't recognize my Creative Soundblaster AudioPCI 64V legacy card. I don't have sound problems with SPWAW or my other games.

Post #: 20
- 7/1/2002 9:09:09 PM   
Mark Ezra

I am not familiar with sound cards generally..Is your SB Legacy 64 at late model sound card? If soo, it may not have an SB emulator (!) attached so won't recognize and old SB set requirement. Ain't that a hoot! I got the older SB card (PC 512) so I matched up OK. Like you say...it just isn't worth fixing at this point. And doesn't that just point out how well SPWAW actually plays on new/faster PC/graphic and sound cards. Matrix put a lot of effort to ensure painless game play!

Post #: 21
- 12/18/2002 11:31:56 AM   
eniced33

you guys are crazy. downloading a program to actually SLOW your computer down. Thats just crazy. Look in the manual for a solution or in a forum. Crazy.

Post #: 22
- 12/18/2002 7:48:53 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Surely you jest about looking in the manual?

A games manual is not going to have any information about a then non existent high power machine's ability to greatly exceed the game's design so much so, that everything over reacts to data input devices like the mouse.

As for the "look in the forum" for a solution, that is equally confusing as a statement, as that is actually where a person would find the advice on a program, intended specifically to emulate the characteristics of an earlier machine software interface.

So your post has me perplexed as to why you said what you said.

Post #: 23
slow mouse running spmbt with xp os - 12/19/2002 5:03:34 AM   
Mikimoto

Have you tried to go to control panel, selecting mouse and setting mouse speed to max? I have heard it works for most people... Good luck!

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

Post #: 24
- 12/19/2002 5:20:12 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have heard there are mouse fixes out there. Just have not actively pursued them.

The single biggest weak link in this whole discussion though, is that SP2 and variants, and SP3 and variants, as well as SPWW2, all exist in the DOS realm more or less, and generally are prone to wanting to hang out in older OSs.

True some CAN run in XP, but the game is also somewhat dated "looking".

Given the choice of the stunning looking impressive game play of Steel Panthers WaW 7.1, or playing one of the others, it seems to be juuuuust not quite enough, that I be able to leave the confines of WW2.

For a "modern" fix, I find "People's General does ok (and it likes XP eh). Additionally I have Century of warfare to look forward to, but my Operational Art of War Elite Edition Volume 2 actually does work eh, its just Volume 1 that gives me grief.
So I am not suffering a lack of "modern" look gaming really.

Post #: 25
- 12/19/2002 5:51:43 AM   
eniced33

It is in the manual. All you have to do is know how to use a manual. Table of contents? It tells you how to change your INI file to slow the screen scrolling speed. I think you thunk I was talkin bout somtin else. Anywho, as for searching in a forum - I have found many answers to many questions I or someone else has had on any SP game. This is not rocket science. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Windows XP Pro likes SPMBT v1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI