Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Encirclement is a state of mind...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Encirclement is a state of mind... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Encirclement is a state of mind... - 1/20/2010 10:15:33 PM   
Nemo121

Grollub,

Good guess. The problems with Roi-Namur are:
1. Limited to 6,000 troops and thus eminently re-capturable by a divisional force. Hell even a regimental force supported by LBA could do it if the LBA can ground attack.
2. No possibility of fighter defence vs land-based IJA/IJN bombers as there are too many surrounding bases from which Zeroes can base and cut my paltry P40s apart.
3. It is a level 2 port and thus really not that suitable for replenishing etc. I am still struggling to get my head around the replenishment rules and while i know I could probably use a Level 2 port once I become proficient with the rules I know that right now I would just mess it all up and leave my ships with nothing but 40mm ammo to fight off the enemy battleline if I tried to replenish from a Level 2 port.

I want to hit Mike somewhere he cannot attrit me with LBA as capturing any base within Zero range of one of his developed airfields will simply result in Zeroes flying in, sweeping my fighters out of the sky and Betties beginning their reign of terror thereafter. Why is this? I want to force him to choose between committing KB in the DEI or in the Pacific. I'm betting he'll choose to use LBA from Singers etc to suppress the DEI and commit KB to the Pacific.... by which time I'll have done something else to muck his plans up.... something else which left port 2 days ago and is currently steaming.... somewhere to do something non-aggressive which will greatly help in breaking his OODA cycle --- IF I time things right.

I like your thinking about the initiative though, that's pretty much the 3rd phase of the plan alright. You've got yourself a free question too. Anything you want about anything at all game-related. 100% clear, detailed response guaranteed ( well, as clear as I can manage at this time of night ;-) )

One hint though... Phased operations and shaping the battlefield are obsessions of mine. SO it is unlikely I'd just attack one target in one place. I'm far more likely to attack groups of targets in several different areas in a phased manner in order to draw the critical enemy force from area to area burning fuel whilst actually engaging nothing at all.

I'll make it easier...
Guess the phasing of operations by region and you win a prize ( probably something like a few questions directly answered PLUS cool points, we can't forget the cool points ;-) ). Take a stab at which bases I'll hit and if you're right you get even more cool points

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 1/20/2010 10:33:02 PM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 91
RE: Encirclement is a state of mind... - 1/20/2010 10:41:16 PM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Grollub,

Good guess. The problems with Roi-Namur are:
1. Limited to 6,000 troops and thus eminently re-capturable by a divisional force. Hell even a regimental force supported by LBA could do it if the LBA can ground attack.
2. No possibility of fighter defence vs land-based IJA/IJN bombers as there are too many surrounding bases from which Zeroes can base and cut my paltry P40s apart.
3. It is a level 2 port and thus really not that suitable for replenishing etc. I am still struggling to get my head around the replenishment rules and while i know I could probably use a Level 2 port once I become proficient with the rules I know that right now I would just mess it all up and leave my ships with nothing but 40mm ammo to fight off the enemy battleline if I tried to replenish from a Level 2 port.

I want to hit Mike somewhere he cannot attrit me with LBA as capturing any base within Zero range of one of his developed airfields will simply result in Zeroes flying in, sweeping my fighters out of the sky and Betties beginning their reign of terror thereafter. Why is this? I want to force him to choose between committing KB in the DEI or in the Pacific. I'm betting he'll choose to use LBA from Singers etc to suppress the DEI and commit KB to the Pacific.... by which time I'll have done something else to muck his plans up.... something else which left port 2 days ago and is currently steaming.... somewhere to do something non-aggressive which will greatly help in breaking his OODA cycle --- IF I time things right.

I like your thinking about the initiative though, that's pretty much the 3rd phase of the plan alright. You've got yourself a free question too. Anything you want about anything at all game-related. 100% clear, detailed response guaranteed ( well, as clear as I can manage at this time of night ;-) )

Ok, I was think more in terms of a raid with a setup looking like you would *try* to stay - only you wouldn't. I certainly agree with you on the analysis of interlocking LBA bases making it impossible to hold R-N any longer that the IJN would let you. The idea of this move however, would be to plant the seed in your opponents head that you're willing to do something as crazy as attacking his bases as early as it is in 1942. He would then initially have to reevaluate his own position in the entire pacific. In the long term, he would have to take this into account everytime you recieve more (ship) resources/capabilities.

I will ponder your additional clues tomorrow. Right now I'm off to bed . My initial gut reaction, however, was that you're contemplating reinforcing the Solomon Islands.

Laters.

Edited: Ok I'll edit since you put in additional clues ... phased operations - holding a carrot on a stick in front of the horse, would you Nope, still to tired. G'night again .

< Message edited by Grollub -- 1/20/2010 11:10:14 PM >

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 92
RE: Encirclement is a state of mind... - 1/20/2010 11:00:31 PM   
Q-Ball

The Kuriles, specifically Para or Onnek Jima (short-hand). Nearest decent airbase is a ways away. (Toyohara?)

Capturing Marcus would also get his attention, though it's easy to re-capture (will take some effort though)

I would say Wake, but I think you are still there?

Tarawa is likely still vulnerable.

Any of these might get KB moving east; the first one is guaranteed to do so

Anywhere in the Solomons can get swept from Rabaul pretty easy

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 1/20/2010 11:10:43 PM >

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 93
RE: Encirclement is a state of mind... - 1/20/2010 11:49:02 PM   
Nemo121

Grollub, excellent analysis ---- I'm off to pull all your posts up and read them... Well just as soon as I finish reading Q-Ball and Canoerebel's AARs ( and Cuttlefish's for comparison ).

Solomons: I don't have anything in the Solomons at present and think that putting troops there would not really cause him to change his strategic analysis. Currently his analysis is probably that's going to move from Truk to Rabaul (which I still hold ) and from Rabaul take Port Moresby and begin moving down the Solomons. If I put troops into the Solomons then all he will have to do is reinforce his Solomons thrust a little and over-run them. What I am looking to do is derail his entire threat analysis. I can only do that by changing the strategic situation significantly and presenting him with either current or potential threats which will worsen unless he reacts ( thus losing the initiative ) NOW !!!

Unfortunately I don't think I can play a subtle game of placement and displacement as his reconnaisance in the Pacific is rather lacking. As a result I cannot rely on him spotting my movements and drawing the appropriate conclusions. So, I have to make any actions very, very obvious - e.g. invasions - such that there can be no doubt that he receives the message I want him to receive. Really it is all about communication. I'm going to write him a message through combat. Each operation is a paragraph. At the end of each paragraph he has multiple choices. My goal is to make each choice he makes be a choice which leaves him out of position to react to the next paragraph. If he reads minds then he'll ignore the first few paragraphs and ambush me while I write the third --- and I'll suffer grievous loss. Such risk is what makes the game worth playing.

Q-Ball,

Good thoughts... I agree with you entirely about the Solomons. Rabaul and Truk can project so much force through the Solomons that a force there, at this early stage, is rather doomed, IMO which would be fine if it really altered the strategic situation and caused him to have to change gears and priorities but isn't a sufficient reward for just strengthening the defences along an expected axis. Also, strengthening the defences there is rather passive and doesn't help put him under any pressure IMO.

Paramushiro-Jima meets most of my requirements. It has unlimited troop capacity, the ability to host a good-size airbase and reasonable port ( level 7 airfield and level 4 port ). Unfortunately it is defended by some rather nasty-looking CD guns. As such I think Onnekotan-jima is a better bet. It has all of the same benefits plus:
a) it is one hex closer to Japan and
b) it is probably undefended.

Marcus Island,
Another good target. Unlikely to be strongly defended although may have a small garrison by now. Overall very low risk of suffering major losses and should create a stir. It is a good propaganda target but I don't think it is really essential to Japan. It is out of easy transfer range from Midway and Wake and so really might make a good PBY base but not too much more than that. Still, it'd be a good place to make him focus alright. Would it ensure KB would be transferred to the Pacific? It might but, IMO, it shouldn't. If someone took Marcus from me I'd be quite happy to just take Wake and Midway and let Marcus whither on the vine as a bomber training target. Of course, to be fair, I'd probably have KB doing something utterly essential instead of swanning around the DEI --- and now heading back to Japan for replenishment.

One other reason I dislike attacking Marcus on its own is that it would tend to draw the IJN into a central position from which it could react towards either of the flanks. I'm not sure that's a good thing to create as part of a shaping of the battlefield.

Taraw is still vulnerable but, again, it is like the Solomons. It tends to be a situation of making an existing axis of advance a bit more difficult as opposed to getting him to rethink the entire theatre. He can adjust pretty easily to making a single axis of advance a bit more challenging and he has enough force to sledgehammer such a problem into quiescence. If I take Tarawa he'll just send a bigger force backed by KB and some BBs and it'll fall back into his hands. I'll have delayed him a small amount but his OODA loop won't really be negatively effected IMO.

P.s. Grollub, that's my favourite ever Blackadder quote

P.p.s. QBall, for sticking your neck out you get a question too. Grollub has held his in reserve for later. Sneaky, didn't even ask if that were possible, just took his own authority and decided that's what he'd do... I like his style. Anyways, you can cash it in now and ask anything you want ( including the entire strategic plan for the Pacific etc ) or hold it in reserve for a later date. Your choice.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 1/20/2010 11:54:19 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 94
RE: Encirclement is a state of mind... - 1/21/2010 3:39:21 AM   
Alfred

Nemo121,

Just rushed reading the hints, so i might have missed the value of one.

Without knowing the initial Japanese dispositions, I'll disregard that extremely valuable intel and proceed on the basis that you are primarily relying upon surprise.  Plus noting what I think you would, in an ideal world, think would most discomfort the enemy when combined with your Sumatra plan.

(1)  Conquest/destruction of the Sakhalin oil centres (with the capture of valuable but lightly defended Kuriles bases en route to provide you with (a) an air bridge to air evacuate from Sakhalin and (b) a long term threat).  Your operation will be conducted in January 1942, so you will rely upon weather to limit enemy air operations.  You would be very happy for Zeroes to be transferred north as this would take them away from the more vital area of Sumatra in the winter period of Jan-Feb 1942 and expose them to increased op losses.  The real threat to this plan is the KB blocking the SLOC, but again it would remove it from the schwerpunkt elsewhere.

(2)  Not as daring, a move on the Marianas to open up the SLOC to the Philippines and allow the allies to in turn interdict the enemy SLOC to the south, thereby helpng to indirectly defend Australia in the long term.

Alfred

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 95
RE: Encirclement is a state of mind... - 1/21/2010 7:49:15 AM   
Grollub

quote:

Grollub, excellent analysis ---- I'm off to pull all your posts up and read them... Well just as soon as I finish reading Q-Ball and Canoerebel's AARs ( and Cuttlefish's for comparison ).

Why, thank you! . I'm afraid you won't find much though. I usually just post in the War Room/"THE THREAD" with the other nutcases there. I read almost all of the AAR's, but I seldom post in them. I found your AAR interesting as you're discussing operations in terms that I do in my daily work (OODA-loop, tempo etc). Another thing I like is that you're not just reacting to the japanese, you're trying to make him react to you. That's why I post here.

quote:

Solomons: I don't have anything in the Solomons at present and think that putting troops there would not really cause him to change his strategic analysis. Currently his analysis is probably that's going to move from Truk to Rabaul (which I still hold ) and from Rabaul take Port Moresby and begin moving down the Solomons. If I put troops into the Solomons then all he will have to do is reinforce his Solomons thrust a little and over-run them. What I am looking to do is derail his entire threat analysis. I can only do that by changing the strategic situation significantly and presenting him with either current or potential threats which will worsen unless he reacts ( thus losing the initiative ) NOW !!!

Unfortunately I don't think I can play a subtle game of placement and displacement as his reconnaisance in the Pacific is rather lacking. As a result I cannot rely on him spotting my movements and drawing the appropriate conclusions. So, I have to make any actions very, very obvious - e.g. invasions - such that there can be no doubt that he receives the message I want him to receive. Really it is all about communication. I'm going to write him a message through combat. Each operation is a paragraph. At the end of each paragraph he has multiple choices. My goal is to make each choice he makes be a choice which leaves him out of position to react to the next paragraph. If he reads minds then he'll ignore the first few paragraphs and ambush me while I write the third --- and I'll suffer grievous loss. Such risk is what makes the game worth playing.

Q-Ball,

Good thoughts... I agree with you entirely about the Solomons. Rabaul and Truk can project so much force through the Solomons that a force there, at this early stage, is rather doomed, IMO which would be fine if it really altered the strategic situation and caused him to have to change gears and priorities but isn't a sufficient reward for just strengthening the defences along an expected axis. Also, strengthening the defences there is rather passive and doesn't help put him under any pressure IMO.

Paramushiro-Jima meets most of my requirements. It has unlimited troop capacity, the ability to host a good-size airbase and reasonable port ( level 7 airfield and level 4 port ). Unfortunately it is defended by some rather nasty-looking CD guns. As such I think Onnekotan-jima is a better bet. It has all of the same benefits plus:
a) it is one hex closer to Japan and
b) it is probably undefended.

Marcus Island,
Another good target. Unlikely to be strongly defended although may have a small garrison by now. Overall very low risk of suffering major losses and should create a stir. It is a good propaganda target but I don't think it is really essential to Japan. It is out of easy transfer range from Midway and Wake and so really might make a good PBY base but not too much more than that. Still, it'd be a good place to make him focus alright. Would it ensure KB would be transferred to the Pacific? It might but, IMO, it shouldn't. If someone took Marcus from me I'd be quite happy to just take Wake and Midway and let Marcus whither on the vine as a bomber training target. Of course, to be fair, I'd probably have KB doing something utterly essential instead of swanning around the DEI --- and now heading back to Japan for replenishment.

One other reason I dislike attacking Marcus on its own is that it would tend to draw the IJN into a central position from which it could react towards either of the flanks. I'm not sure that's a good thing to create as part of a shaping of the battlefield.

Taraw is still vulnerable but, again, it is like the Solomons. It tends to be a situation of making an existing axis of advance a bit more difficult as opposed to getting him to rethink the entire theatre. He can adjust pretty easily to making a single axis of advance a bit more challenging and he has enough force to sledgehammer such a problem into quiescence. If I take Tarawa he'll just send a bigger force backed by KB and some BBs and it'll fall back into his hands. I'll have delayed him a small amount but his OODA loop won't really be negatively effected IMO.

Ok, to summarize your hints and looking over the map with new fresh eyes; You're looking for bases that are;

[1.] Japanese held (preferrably weakly) and ...
    [2.] Out of Zero range from other major bases and ...
    [3.] Can accomodate unlimited troops and ...
    [4.] Have >2 port for resupply

With this list in mind I find I myself in agreement with Alfred - the Marianas fit in, specifically Saipan and Guam. Saipan has a CD defense unit which might screw up things though. I had a look at the Bonin Islands as well, namely Chichi Jima and Iwo Jima, but they have too small ports. Babeldaob (Palau) was an alternative as well, if not for the truckload of troops that start there and its immediate proximity to the PI/DEI. I even had a look at Truk but it could be hard to get ashore given the defenses there.

If you timed this right and manage to sneak in between his naval search, you could take Saipan/Guam by coup de main and be gone before he could intervene with KB. A regiment with some engineers, a BF (with some P-40's) and maybe some CD unit at each island would force him to be serious when trying to retake the islands, complete with time consumption for prepping etc. He'd also have to patrol the SLOC from Wake so that you couldn't reinforce/supply easily.

The next step in the staggered attacks would then be for your CV's to support an invasion of a Kurile island (on the way out from the Marianas). Onnekotan-Jima would be a good bet as you pointed out. I guess he would be quite chagrined to arrive with KB at the Marianas only to have the next carrot dangled in front of him up in the north .

All of this would, as you pointed out earlier, focus his attention further away from S Sumatra giving you time to reinforce and dig in. Mission accomplished.

quote:

P.s. Grollub, that's my favourite ever Blackadder quote

P.p.s. QBall, for sticking your neck out you get a question too. Grollub has held his in reserve for later. Sneaky, didn't even ask if that were possible, just took his own authority and decided that's what he'd do... I like his style. Anyways, you can cash it in now and ask anything you want ( including the entire strategic plan for the Pacific etc ) or hold it in reserve for a later date. Your choice.

Yes, I want to hold my question in reserve. You've already adressed one of my immediate concerns, namely how to (better) deal with the sweeping Zeros. A longer term question that I was mulling about concerned if you had done any deception in preparation for your upcoming move. You already answered that though, in that the japanese initial recon is so lacking that you have to be very obvious to get his attention.

As for not asking if I could save my question - It's easier to get forgiveness than permission .

Edited: Disposition/spelling.

< Message edited by Grollub -- 1/21/2010 9:42:13 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 96
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/21/2010 1:11:51 PM   
bklooste

quote:

As you can see I'm not a big believer in trying to non-critical regions which can't really be held... far better to allocate resources to hold what's essential. In terms of his main, initial, thrust... I believe he will go for Sian. It is the most obvious choice ( a very bad thing indeed ) and he has all those lovely artillery pieces from Kwantung coming in there. Obviously when I suggested the house rules it was with the expectation that the house rule we agreed would tend to direct the initial thrust into the northern regions --- which are infinitely more easily defended than the much wider southern front. The only possible fly in the ointment is the artillery modelling in the code. If the artillery is still over-modelled then my troops could be obliterated by it. Still, I think the plan is a reasonable one in real life. All AE has to do is model real life appropriately and I should be fine.

Is it viable to allow A "Death Star" towards XIan but prepare an envelopment. The only reason the Japanese didnt use Death stars historically is they would just be surrounded. If an attack goes to Xian it will come from the SE.

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 97
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/21/2010 2:05:17 PM   
Nemo121

Question:
I'm currently prepping the various TFs for the operation. This involves ordering TFs from India, Australia, Pearl Harbour, New Zealand, CONUSA and Alaska to all begin moving over the next 4 days or so with a view to synchronising them so that TFs from Oz link up with TFs from India and TFs from Oz link up with TFs from CONUSA etc.

I have that all pretty much in hand but my problem now is that at Wake I have found several of my "Amphibious TFs" --- I sent troops there combat loaded to avoid wasting time changing to and from Strategic Move --- are giving me "Cannot Finish Unloading" messages. It seems that they cannot unload engineer vehicles or Sound Detectors. My query is this... Could TRANSPORT TFs unload those device types over a beach ( Level 0 port ) or Level 1 port? I don't want to take something which requires rapid airfield and port building only to find out that I can't do that because I can't unload my radar or engineering vehicles no matter what I do.

Also, according to the manual an Allied xAK or xAP will unload 250 points per ship per turn as part of an amphibious TF. So, am I correct in thinking that if I wanted to unload 1,000 points of troops and 1,000 points of cargo ( IOW a fairly typical USMC Defence Bn ) I would require 4 xAPs and 4 xAKs to unload that Bn in a single turn?

Secondly I know various tenders allow reloading of armaments even when the port is too small.I've read the manual and my take on it is as follows ( Basically I'm asking someone to confirm or deny the correctness of my current understanding of the logistics model --- don't forget I've only get 3 weeks of play under my belt so I'm as green as grass as far as the new logistics go ).

1. Largest main gun in the Pacific fleet are the 16 inch guns on the Maryland BB. They require a Level 7 port OR an AE with 5400 tons capacity. I have two AEs which meet that requirement at PH.

2. AGs can reload depth charges, AAA guns and DD main armaments ( 5 inch guns ).

3. ADs can replace torpedoes expended by my surface fleet.

4. AEs with a cargo capacity of 500 tons can replenish CV sorties and with 1500 tons capacity can replenish CV torpedoes.

At present I have 3 AEs. 2 x 5400 ton capacity AEs which are good for replenishing even my largest BBs and another of 3600 tons capacity which could replenish all my ships except the 16 inch main armament BB AND, importantly, can also replenish my CV sorties and torpedoes.

So, essentially, if I advance with my 3 AEs, a few AGs and some ADs whilst leaving Maryland at home I will have the capability to replenish all my BBs ( since I'll only bring 14inch main armament BBs ), the torpedo tubes on my DDs and smaller combat ships, AND the sorties and torpedoes on my CVs. By bringing AGs along I can allow the DDs to load from them, saving the supplies on the AEs for the BBs... I don't want to re-arm my DDs and find I don't have enough shells for the BBs after all.

What I'm thinking is that this would give me great operational flexibility in establishing forward re-arming bases during the fluid phase of the upcoming battles. Sure I still want to build Brisbane, Perth and Darwin up to be Level 6 and 7 ports but even a Level 1 port with the appropriate support TF docked will be sufficient to give my CV and BB TFs resupply of ammunition and fuel.

OR.... am I missing something huge which negates this thinking?

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 1/21/2010 2:19:56 PM >

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 98
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/22/2010 2:42:05 PM   
bklooste

Dont know where your going ,personally anything closer than Tarawa is going to get smacked by whatever it takes with not too many losses for him and you cant afford to loose the troops . The Tarawa area has a few islands that cover each other and put pressure on him to reinforce the Marshals which can then be cut off.  Activity here would also take KB in the Pacific away from Sumatra not sure if this is what you want.

I also like the idea of hitting Marcus Island and then going for some counter play in the DEI when he hits it with KB. Maybe  4 CV at an oil centre you may get some nice tankers. Since your holding SUmatra obviously you want his oil.  Marcus is such a nice PBY base helps your subs find convoys and let you know what he is up to .

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 99
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/22/2010 4:07:25 PM   
Nemo121

Marcus Island as a convoy spotter? I don't see how that would work really unless he is utterly negligent with his convoy routings.

Instead he should simply send them from Japan via Guam etc and then down to Truk. From Truk they can move to the Marshalls or down towards Rabaul/The Solomons. That would give no risk of spotting from Marcus Island.

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 100
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/22/2010 7:18:39 PM   
Nemo121

28th December 1941...

Allied submarines around Calayan became rather active today launching salvoes against 2 DD and an xAK. All 3 salvoes hit but none exploded. I interpret this to mean a large wave of reinforcements is making its way into the area north of Manilla.

Naga must REALLY have rattled Mike as KB hangs around for a THIRD day of air attacks on my forces there and a naval TF comprising CAs and CLs has bombarded my forces there also. As if that wasn't enough all of his Nells and Bettys also launched further ground attacks. In total over 100 Nells and Bettys attacked in addition to over 200 strike planes from KB. This is just a massive over-committment. Really wasteful.

Incredibly he is allowing the evacuation of Singapore to continue unhindered by his Bettys and Nells. Today I should have finished loading of 2 Indian Bdes and the Indian Division which start the game on the Malaysian peninsula. I will now concentrate on buying out AAA, engineers and Base Forces over the next few days. I'll also pull out supplies and run them into Palembang. Southern Sumatra currently has about 80,000 tons of supplies and is gaining an additional 1,000 tons per day. Still it can't hurt to empty Singapore and bring even more supplies into Southern Sumatra.

In India and Burma I've finally decided to make a stand for Burma... I wasn't sure about holding at Rangoon or at Schwebo/Lashio. I read on the forum that I must hold Rangoon for the Burma Road to function but the manual mentions also holding an uninterrupted land line from Ledo to Tsuyung. Can anyone clarify that?

If I have to hold Rangoon etc then my job just got a lot harder but there's no point holding Schwebo etc unless they hold open the Burma Road. If holding Rangoon is essential to the Burma Road then that's where I'll have to hold... it wastes 3 weeks of prep points though

Mike says he'll have the turn to me sometime tonight.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 101
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/22/2010 7:36:43 PM   
Q-Ball

One thing about AE, all those little Atolls in the Pacific become less valuable than WITP. You can't land on Wotje, develop it into a major air and naval base, and use it to project power into the Pacific. The game just won't let you. Which is good.

Marcus is damn near worthless in AE. It's a somewhat handy and extremely vulnerable seaplane base, nothing more.

The Marshalls are much less useful. There are a couple OK bases, but nothing to build an offensive around. Kusaie Island is a better base.

I think an invasion of the Kuriles triggers the Japanese Home Island reinforcements; this would make me think twice about an early move there. Last thing the Allies need is for the Japanese to get a bunch of unrestricted ground units. (I would like to confirm that's the case, but according to Dan/Miller's AAR, it is).

AE presents alot more bases though to do mischeif with, particularly in the DEI.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 102
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/23/2010 3:29:53 AM   
bklooste

quote:

Marcus Island as a convoy spotter? I don't see how that would work really unless he is utterly negligent with his convoy routings.

Instead he should simply send them from Japan via Guam etc and then down to Truk. From Truk they can move to the Marshalls or down towards Rabaul/The Solomons. That would give no risk of spotting from Marcus Island.

That is the prudent thing but
- its a shorter route
- it creates more of a funnel for your subs.

Normally i like to send things direct and via Guam , but Marcus Island changes the picture. Smaller area for convoys and ships to work means you know where his assets and convoys are better.

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 103
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/23/2010 6:35:39 PM   
DW

I'll take a stab at your "guess my next target" challenge, Nemo.

First, I want to note that other posters are thinking along similar lines...

But, the first target I think you're going for the Marianas.

And, the reason I choose the Marianas is that I think you want to draw in LBA, and that you're thinking your opponent will get it from Japan proper.

Figuring exactly which island you'll invade is problematic for me. I don't own the game and, except from what I've been able to glean from other AARs, don't have much of a clue as to initial Japanese dispositions in the Marianas. However, I would expect them to be largely unchanged from the outbreak of hostilities, so you've probably a fair idea of what's where.

With that in mind...

Pagan, with a small port and airfield, probably meets your minimal requirements and is likely to be completely ungarrisoned, so it would be an acceptable target.

Tinian, Saipan and Guam have better airfields and ports, but are also more likely to be defended.

You'll go for the most developed island that your confident you can take with the provision that you don't eliminate your opponents ability to respond with the desired LBA deployments.

If you're lucky, you'll pick off some sort of support unit in the process.

You'll use the troops you have at Wake for the job, and you'll pull most of them out before you leave.  You'll either send them back to Wake, or move them into position to aid in your second stroke.

Your opponent is unlikely to see this move as serious enough of a threat to reduce his current operations or draw in KB, but he is likely to want to respond in some capacity that will allow him to slow or prevent you from building up fortifications.  To that end, he'll probably decide to contest your presence with LBA, and it's likely that at least some of it will come from the home islands.

I think the next move you're planning is to attack Onnekotan-jima within a couple of weeks of your first attack.  This will be in divisional + strength and you'll bring along what support you can muster from the west coast and Alaska.  You'll plan to stay, build up what you can and fight it out for as long as you can.  You're likely to be willing to sacrifice a good number of BBs, cruisers and DDs in the process, but not your carriers.

You'll need them for your third stroke.

In your initial attack, you may also pick off Shikuka and Toyohara to deny your opponent bases and to complicate his strategic picture, but you won't hold these locations in any strength.  You'll pull back to Onnekotan-jima and concentrate your defenses there.  If your opponent has deployed his LBA to the Marianas, like you're hoping, he'll likely send it back to Japan now, but it should be out of your hair during the initial phases of the operation when you're most vulnerable and long enough for you to establish some LBA of your own.

You're hoping that your opponent will see a landing in the north, with all the attendant combat ships, as too serious of a threat to ignore for any length of time, and that he'll send KB north until he can eliminate your gains.

Meanwhile...

Since Singapore should be getting near to surrendering, your opponent will soon be moving on the DEI.  You're hoping that you're opponent will decide to make the move without the support of KB.  Many players attack the DEI without KB support anyway, so he shouldn't feel like he's taking a major risk by doing so.

He'll soon run headlong into the stout defense you're building up in Java and that will start to bog him down.  Because KB should be engaged in the north, your opponent will likely try to break the deadlock by stripping Malay of whatever ground troops he had left on garrison duty.

While he's doing that, you'll be concentrating everything, including the kitchen, sink from India and Australia, with an eye toward counter invading Malaya as soon as you're opponent gets good and involved in Java.

In summary...

You attack the Marianas, and your opponent responds by weakening Japan proper of LBA.  While he's bombing your base in the Marianas, you attack Onnekotan-jima.  That'll put the fear of God into him and he'll send back his LBA and KB north until he can eliminate your gains.  While he's sailing KB north, you're sailing your carriers south and west to meet up with whatever troops you can concentrate from Australia and India.   While you're launching your first and second attacks on the Marianas and Onnekotan-jima respectively, Singapore will have fallen and your opponent will have started moving on Java.   When he gets bogged down in Java, and while KB is still busy in the North, you'll strike at Malaya with the goal of rolling back into Singapore before your opponent can put together a stout defense.

From a standpoint of shaping the battlefield and playing into your opponents expectations, the first attack will seem little more than a minor annoyance, and his response will seem so minor to him that it will be difficult to imagine that it could possibly have serious repercussions elsewhere.  It will, however, aid you by reducing resistance to your second attack.  The second attack will pose a seemingly larger threat and will necessitate a stronger response, leaving your opponent vulnerable to your third attack.

And, your opponent would be a bloody genius if he realized that the ultimate goal from a small attack in the Marianas is aimed at prepping the ground for nothing less than a counter invasion of Malaya.

How'd I do?

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 104
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/23/2010 7:56:49 PM   
Nemo121

DW,

Very interesting post... Some things are spot on and some things aren't as you can't see the turn files I have and thus don't get a full sense of Mike's play. I'll post what happened on the 29th December....

On the 29th December Mike swept Singapore with 30+ Ki-43 Ics at 38,500 feet and another 30 or so Zeroes at 30,000 feet. My losses were extreme. I lost 15 Buffaloes ( but have told him that most of the claimed kills were just damages and "will be back in action tomorrow"... to bolster that Maskirovka I've flown in two reserve Buffalo units with about 20 planes in total in order to ensure my numbers aren't lower ) and 5 AVG planes. I shot down 4 Ki-43 Ics and 3 Zeroes so it wasn't entirely one-sided but a 3:1 exchange rate is not something to be happy about. To be fair most of those losses are due to Buffaloes being downed and I don't count the Buffalo as a front-line fighter, it is merely present to help provide CAP vs bomber raids. I am countering this today by sending my CAP to 17,000 feet with a view to seeing if I can be so far below his Oscars that they miss my flights. In addition those sweeps must have presaged the committment of bombers. At 17,000 feet I maximise my chances of finding and attacking bombers for the longest time possible. Perhaps I can make up in bomber kills what I lose in bounces.

KB CONTINUES to pound the Phillipine troops at Naga. This is a staggering misallocation of resources IMO. I literally cannot believe this committment of his primary strategic force to counter a small spoiling attack is continuing. On the basis that I must assume he is doing something sneaky which I'm missing I have seeded my line of communication to Manilla with LCUs and have ordered the LCUs to retreat. They are currently on their third day of slow, combat-mode, 90+ disruption movement northward.

In other news the 2 Indian Brigades and the entire Indian Division in Singapore have made good their escape. I waited KB out with several transport and amphibious TFs stationed about 300 to 400 miles west of Oosthaven and once I confirmed he was heading east through Southern Borneo I sent the whole gaggle of ships in to Singapore. Approximately 60 xAPs and xAKs/xAKLs reached Singapore and pulled out the 3 LCUs mentioned as well as another Bde unit, several Bns and several Base Forces and some engineering units. My cover story is that this represented the reinforcement of Malaysia with the 18th UK Division and some Indian odds and ends and that when he reaches the clear hexes in southern Malaysia he might find a surprise or two waiting for him. He's currently hung up around Kuala Lumpur where small Bn-sized blocking forces are preventing him using rail movement to rail down the west coast and central Malaysia.

Have I mentioned how much I like the new ground combat model? If not then lets just say I think it is pretty damned good. I query the effectiveness of bombers in disrupting EVERY unit in a hex when set to ground attack missions and wish that could be looked at but overall the number of new commands gives a much greater tactical flexibility which allows more nuanced operations to be put together.

In other news over well over 200 ships are now on their way to my staging points in the Pacific. They should arrive in about ten days but some of the outliers won't arrive for two weeks. Figure another week for loading and another week for travel to the targets and you come out with the end of January before I can land a really useful blow. Damn, logistics are unforgiving.... but it is great to see the logistics slowing down operations in a more realistic manner than in WiTP.

So, my new timeline is.
1. End of 1st week in January KB docks in the Home Islands.
2. End of 2nd week in January the first tiny diversionary operation goes in.
3. End of 3rd week in January a more significant operation, albeit still small-scale but one which must be countered, goes in. On the same date as those troops land my forces will leave their staging base and about a week later as KB, hopefully, becomes deeply embroiled in combat around my Phase 2 targets and the bases from which I projected that force they will begin landing.

Good thoughts around the Sakhalins. To be honest I would LOVE to do what you've outlined with the Kuriles and Sakhalin but my total deployable force ( including every small detachment sitting around in forgotten bases in the Pacific --- and I'm scratching up detachments of 6 AV, 10 AV etc ) tops out at 550 AV. This includes only marginally combat-capable forces with 40 Exp. If I went for Sakhalin he'd just land two divisions and even if I put all 550 AV in a single base his two divisions would knock me out. The key here is that to survive his counter-stroke --- and there's no point me invading something which isn't threatening enough to him that he can ignore it --- I NEED to stack the decks in my favour... That means atolls, rough terrain and giving his counter-offensive no other option than a headlong assault. Ideally I want multiple bases with each base on a separate island for two reasons:
1. so that I can play "whack the airforce" when KB shows up, shuttling my planes from base to base to avoid massive strikes from KB's strike planes and
2. so that he has to invade multiple bases sequentially and cannot march overland to any of them - this ties down the maximum number of APs and AKs for the longest time possible and exposes them to CD guns on the greatest number of occasions possible.

Why? Well, every AP or AK tied up in the Pacific will be a ship not available to him for his invasion of Southern Sumatra effectively weakening or delaying that invasion --- both of which work in my favour.

As to invading Malaysia...
Yes, certainly that's the end-goal. I want to retake Malaysia whilst I hold Southern Sumatra but we have to recognise that that's aspirational and something which will only occur if the tune I strike up is picked up and followed by Mike, the stars align and the Americans rename their World Series of Baseball as the "Parochial, rather continentally-challenged Series" . In short, too many things would have to go right for me to think invading Malaysia will definitely be on the cards... but that doesn't mean it isn't playing a small part in the disposition of my ground forces etc. Much of how feasible it is depends on how strong the forces in Southern Sumatra become and how long Manilla can hold out. I need Manilla to hold out for a significant period of time if I'm be able to gather a sufficiently large force to be able to attack into Malaysia (Phase 5 ) when his strategic reserve gets sucked off elsewhere (Phase 4 ). Even if everything goes perfectly I would expect that Phases 4 and 5 won't be occuring for another 4 or 5 months and a lot can happen in that time. Two luck torpedo hits on two different USN CVs and the entire plan is out the window at Phase 3.

As re: Marianas. If I hit the Marianas, which was my first though, but was discarded as being utterly impossible to hold he'll HAVE to react with KB and bombers from the Home Islands. Several things mitigated against the Marianas.
1. Very close to the DEI and Home Islands. After he succesfully counter-invades his APs and AKs can be shipping troops into Sumatra within 2 weeks. There are places in the Pacific where even a successful invasion would leave his APs and AKs with 4+ week return journeys.
2. I would only be able to take 1 or 2 bases in the Marianas and that hugely limits my ability tie his shipping up in interminable amphibious invasions.
3. KB can sweep in behind me, cut my SLOCs and there is a huge risk to my fleet.
4. He won't need to divert massive numbers of TKs and AOs to support fleet operations in the Marianas. He can ship fuel from Japan in a week and then run operations from bases he still holds in the Marianas.

Basically the Marianas is good thinking but it doesn't meet my requirement that any response to my invasion tie up his transports and tankers/oilers for such a long period of time that even successful re-invasions will constitute a strategically phyrrhic victory. Everyone remembers how King Phyrrhus gave his name to phyrrhic victories following his tactically successful but strategically abysmal campaign in Italy but few also remember that Hannibal Barca was another such general. He won stunning tactical and even operational victories but he never converted those victories into strategic gain. In fact in some cases his victories cost him strategic advantage.

Mike WILL win Phase 1 and 2 of my operations ( the invasions in the Pacific ) but in so doing I hope to create a situation in which he loses Phases 4 and 5...

Once the second phase of invasions goes in ( approximately 3 weeks ) I'll post the operational plan. I had to write it because I had so many units from so many bases that I needed something written down to keep it all straight in my head. This is the first time I've EVER had to write an operational plan for a WiTP/AE operation so that shows you some of the complexity going on here. SO far it is 3,000 words but I expect it to bloat to about 4 or 5,000 before it is finished... mostly because I'll have to account for Phase 4 and 5 operations.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 1/23/2010 8:07:00 PM >

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 105
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/23/2010 8:46:33 PM   
Grollub

quote:

Once the second phase of invasions goes in ( approximately 3 weeks ) I'll post the operational plan. I had to write it because I had so many units from so many bases that I needed something written down to keep it all straight in my head. This is the first time I've EVER had to write an operational plan for a WiTP/AE operation so that shows you some of the complexity going on here. SO far it is 3,000 words but I expect it to bloat to about 4 or 5,000 before it is finished... mostly because I'll have to account for Phase 4 and 5 operations.

I'll wait for that day

Meanwhile, enjoying the show!

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 106
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/24/2010 3:04:30 PM   
Nemo121

January 1st 1942. January 1st 1942 has continued the pattern of the past 7 days....

KB has now ported at Legaspi ( presumably along with AEs ) and is launching ground attack after ground attack at Naga. My forces have pushed north from Manilla on two axes and have now been stopped by the committment of additional army bombers in the Phillipines itself. Currently Mike's committment to ground attack missions in the Phillipines is roughly 100 army bombers, about 120 Bettys and Nells and over 200 planes from KB's strike groups. Almost nothing is hitting Malaysia anymore.

Enemy transports appear to be leisurely unloading at Kuantan so I've scratched together the weaker portion of my DEI naval forces and am sending them in for a daylight raid tomorrow. Unless the refuelling algorithm gets in the way we should see some action. I believe my force comprises 2 CA, 2 to 3 CL and about 6 or so DDs. A pretty sizable force which I'm sure will interrupt unloading and might butcher a few DDs, PBs and xAKs if I'm lucky. Of course Mike probably has some major surface combatants there also but nothing risked, nothing gained.

In China a third Army has been detached to make for Burma as my supply situation in China is poor and there's no point having troops on the frontline if they don't have bullets for their guns. The defensive line is forming up nicely and forts are being built. If the ueber-artillery has been fixed I may even be able to hold the outpost line for more than a few days. In the end though it will fall.

An IJN TF launches a dozen Kates against an x AP making its way from Midway to Canton. I have dropped hiints to Mike about my resupply efforts for forward bases and am interested to see how aggressive he is. It is one thing to pounce a single xAP, another thing entirely to wait around for another day or two and risk running into my CVs. Since my CVs are heading that way anyway I've ordered them into the area and in a couple of day's time we should see just what he's made of. If he's smart he'll run like hell.

Southern Sumatra. Oosthaven now has some 980 AV while Palembang, with the evacuation of 1 Division and 4 Bdes from Singapore over the past few days, has 890 AV. Both bases have sizable engineer complements and are building towards Level 4 fortifications. At the present rate they should reach Level 4 forts sometime in mid-January but I still have significant engineer forces to bring in so I'm hoping they can do better than that and reach Level 5 forts before the end of January. Once I reach Level 6 forts at Palembang I plan to concentre on building airfield size in the other bases in Southern Sumatra to ensure myself an adequate ability to shuffle squadrons around when Mike comes in for his attack.

My goal for Southern Sumatra was to establish 2 bases with 1500 AV between them. I've already surpassed that and have at least another 500 AV to bring in from Java still. Right now, with repair of disabled squads and the fact that a few more units will escape from Singers it is not unreasonable to expect that my defending forces in Southern Sumatra will surpass 2,500 AV by the end of the month. Additional I will get another 600 AV of unrestricted troops at Aden ( 3 Australian Bdes and 2 Armoured Regiments ) and will have the choice of committing them to Burma or to further strengthen Southern Sumatra.

Since Oosthaven is clear terrain I am looking at leaving about 1500 AV at Oosthaven with about 900 AV at Palembang ( the swamps there give a 300% defensive bonus ). I will maintain my armoured forces inland in a central reserve position ready to bolster whichever port gets invaded with some hard-hitting tank firepower. I've been very impressed with how well tanks have performed in the Phillipines and am determined to put them into action against any enemy landing as soon as possible.

Query: What would be the best way of simulating a reserve formation which is ready to move out quickly but somewhat dispersed vs enemy bombing? Basically I'm thinking of something along the lines of being fuelled and ready to move out with the road march routes already chosen and signposted with leader rehearsals and drive-throughs of the route already having been done etc but in which the individual tank platoons are hidden in various plantations etc. Problem is I have no real idea which orders simulate that.

I don't want to use the Strategic Move command as I dislike having them in a hex unpacking for 2 or 3 days in which the enemy could attack and rout them but it is faster... I also am unsure about the benefits of the REST command. I know that if they are RESTing and a ground attack comes in they are at a huge disadvantage. These guys, however, will only be vulnerable to air attack as they'll be inland so how vulnerable are RESTing troops to air attack. What are the benefits of resting these guys?

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 107
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/25/2010 12:36:07 AM   
Nemo121

January 2nd.

The IJN BB Mutsu showed up bombarding Singkawang yesterday. Since there was a good chance she'd be sent into the waters off Palembang to intercept a few convoys I put 50 or so torpedo bombers and all my Dutch bombers on naval attack in Palembang and Johore Bahru. I also routed the SC TF which hit Kuantan yesterday ( and sank an IJN DD at the cost of 4 Dutch DDs ) through this region with orders to react aggressively to Japanese incursions. IN a hard-fought naval battle the ABDA TF met Mutsu and 3 DDs in the waters off Singkep and managed to sink a DD and put a torpedo into Mutsu which is reported as having caused significant flooding. all ABDA CAs involved in the action were seriously damaged and one was sunk the next day by submarine with the other being damaged by Bettys from Kuantan. 1 ABDA CL was sunk with another in sinking condition. Essentially this ABDA TF has ceased to exist and will retire to port for repairs. Fortunately Prince of Wales is stationed at Batavia and is at full strength. Tomorrow I might see if it can intercept the fleeing Mutsu.

I also assumed there were strong IJN surface combat forces around Truk and was not disappointed. An ALlied TF of 3 CAs, 4 CLs and 3 DDs from Rabaul advanced north and hit the IJN SC TF there overnight. This TF comprised 4 CAs and 4 DDs. In vicious fighting 2 IJN CAs were confirmed sunk following torpedo and multiple shell hits and one was slightly damaged and on fire. The Allies, again, paid heavily for this with all their DDs being sunk and most of the CAs and CLs either sunk or left with significant damage.

Importantly however this strike has reduced the IJN SC TF combat power in the region by 50% and fatally impacted their ability to interfere with my landings. It is MUCH easier to provide an escort capable of fending off 2 CAs than 4 CAs.

Over Singapore the Bettys finally sprang into action. I'd been playing hide and seek with my fighters for the past few days but felt that he'd unleas his Bettys today so I moved them back into Singapore. My guess proved right and while my fighters suffered slightly disproportionate losses to his fighters again ( about 6 were downed vs 3 enemy fighters ) it does look as though they downed 5 or 6 Bettys as well. I lost about 6 ships to the Betty strikes but most of these ships were cheap little xAKLs or small xAKs. The evacuation will continue with every expectation that by the end of tomorrow the only significant forces which are capable of being pulled out and have not yet pulled out are the 2 Australian Brigades. I can fly most of those units out if the need becomes great.

In other news: I swept Kuantan yesterday to find no enemy fighters flying CAP. Never one to miss an opportunity I put 30 torpedo bombers into Singapore and set them on naval attack. They sorted and all managed to launch their torpedoes. Unfortunately the two DDs they targetted managed to evade every single torpedo. That's a pity, it would have been nice to catch a few xAKs or x APs.

In Manilla my retreat from Naga and the northern boundaries continues now that the final 2 Phillipine divisions and 2 Engineer Regiments have arrived at Bataan and are on their way to Manilla. I am also staging a few PBY-5s at Singapore to fly elements of Phillipine divisions in from the outlying islands. Every little bit helps.

All of the troops involved in the upcoming invasions are now on board ship and on their way to the staging base and are looking good for their planned arrival date ( before 14th January ). After that it'll take a week or so to unload them from their transport TFs and reload them into amphibious TFs and then we should be good to hit the beaches at the end of January.

On another note:
I query whether the air to ground model is too generous to the effect of airplanes on ground troops. Obviously I'm seeing some pretty extreme action at Naga with over 300 strike planes flying against a 700 AV force day after day but if the spread of damage I@m seeing holds true for smaller strikes then the air to ground model has issues. Right now it seems that even a small strike ( I've only seen a few smallish strikes so I may be seeing outliers here or something ) "spreads" its damage over multiple LCUs. That's fine as a small strike doesn't tend to do much damage. The problem is that the 4 LCUs it spreads its damage over are now 80% disrupted and much easier to push back.

The damage caused per sortie seems quite reasonable to me BUT I think the "splash" effect where a unit which is targeted by a flight or two of bombers ends up 80% disrupted - the same level of disruption as the primary targets for the raid - is questionable.

Sure if a raid comprised 6 x 30 plane raids going after 6 different LCUs that's fine but when a raid comprises 40 planes and STILL disrupts those 6 LCUs 80% each ( whilst properly causing only about 25% of the damage of the 180 plane raid ) then I think ther's somewhat of an issue. I have to see more smaller raids but right now the splash effect on disruption seems too large even with small raids.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 108
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/25/2010 2:11:45 AM   
bklooste

Some comments , Joe has mentioned the Air combat is too deadly vs non infantry forces  , single Armour units and Arty have been obliterated by single air units in combat mode within 3 days. They are looking at it.  vs ground troops it doesnt seem that effective but vs the Engineers , support ,armour and arty it is deadly.

With regard to the arty bombard changes the only change which the dev mentioned was terrain and fort is now applied. If your units are in heavy terrain and heavy forts arty will do much less.  Beware in open !.

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 109
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/25/2010 2:29:45 AM   
bklooste

Im going to take a shot at it .

Phase 1 . Marcus Island from Wake . It forces him to react , reroute his convoys and ships for any Naval action towards the Cen Pacific  will need to go around. It also delays ships going to Truk which could matter.

Phase 2. Gilbert islands and maybe Ponape . This is quite possible to take out bases out of fighter range ( but not bombers) . It will draw all the forces commiteed to Marcus + A lot more. And move them out of position.  While threatening im not sure it will draw a response though it could wait 4 to 12 weeks.  It forces him to fight a battle there to take the islands which he may not have intended but once the forces are comitted it seems silly to not take the remaining Gilber islands. I dont know however how many of the Gilberts he has taken.  Air fields will need work since it threatens the marshals he will be forced to react. You will need to build up the air bases however.

One issue is his actions - he is the one who has the Strategic intiative if he uses it. One reason he may have moved KB towards the PI is he may be planning some Central or SOuth West Pacific action especially since he doesnt have Wake. As a Japanese player i dont like not owning Wake as it threatens the Marshals and hence the Guam Or Jima route. KB needs to be watched like a hawk more so than normal as if it shows up at the wrong time the whole operation will be lost for little gain.

< Message edited by bklooste -- 1/25/2010 1:43:58 PM >

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 110
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/27/2010 1:44:17 PM   
modrow

Gentlemen,

can't have this quite instructive AAR sitting on page two . It's developing into a gem.
I'll try to post in more detail as soon as I find some more time somewhere.

Can't resist to add some short qualms at this point of time: Did someone do a calculation whether getting the oil from Sumatra is really crucial for Japan, and if so in what time scale (I'm clueless about the Japanese economy) ?

Just for the sake of the argument - if Nemo is astonished that his opponent allows him to move out of Malaya, what if the enemy is aware of it and has some idea about Sumatra being reinforced and is not concerned about it, assuming at the same time that key reinforcements will be concentrated there, allowing for an easy gobbling up of Malaya, Borneo and Java and all the oil located there.

If he does not need Sumatra, what he does is provide Nemo with a bit of rope to see what he does with the coils. Concentrating assets in a place that the enemy does not need will accelerate his conquest of other places. They may not starve to death due to the supply situation, but possession of the airbases in Malaya and Java will make getting these assets out of Sumatra may be not so easy.

Now, the nice thing is that in addition you free assets you can use to subdue the PI quicker. That would explain making different (better?) use of the air assets elsewhere and may lead to a situation where the "getting stuck" in Sumatra and stripping of assets from Malaya just won't happen.

Bear in mind the "crowing about a few AKs sunk" Nemo reported previously. IF he is after annihilating shipping, it is even more astonishing that he allows Nemo to evacuate virtually unhindered. Perhaps I am overrating Nemo's opponent (whom I do not know). Perhaps there are facts that rule out the possibilities I hint at which I don't know (most of all the absolute need to get Palembang). But I think there may be more than one way to interpret the patterns as far as they are presented in this AAR.

Of course, I am always open for the possibility that I misappreciate the situation

Hartwig

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 111
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/27/2010 3:17:05 PM   
bklooste

Hartwig .

1. The alies care about TK/AO but not AKs /AKl/Akx since the Liberty ship program will dwarf any losses.
2. Japan can do without Sumatra but it means less stock piles which you will need in later 43/44 and the other oil centreas are in range of Sumatra.
3. I dont think comittign extra forces accelerates the PI or Malaya much.
4. I would be concerned about Palembang being reinforced as besides the oll it also means you cant use SIngapore which means you cant run more efficent convoys with large ships from SIngapore.

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 112
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/27/2010 7:44:27 PM   
Nemo121

Bklooste,
The problem with doing as you suggest: 1 - Marcus, 2 Ponape, Gilberts etc is that going for Marcus first will pretty much draw his forces closer to Ponape and Gilberts and actually DRAW the enemy towards the second phase guaranteeing stronger resistance and lessening the chances of success.

Diversionary operations usually work best if they draw the enemy main force AWAY from the critical point and less well if they draw the enemy force towards the critical point at the critical time.

As to KB moving into this area... Well if KB does move into my AO before I'm ready for it I can suspend the operation, pull back and fade away as a curtain does before a punch. Long after the boxer is tired out the curtain stills billows back and forth. As I recently said in an email to someone else, Plans are not immutable, they merely form a commonly understood basis for improvisation. Their main value lies in setting down the commander's intent such that the individual improvisations at a lower level tend to further the overall goal.

If KB moves into the area and makes this plan unfeasible then I'll simply come up with something else to take advantage of that move. It's all good. I've found that while its nice to have a plan of what you generally want to happen one of the worst things which can happen is becoming too wedded to the plan. When that happens you have situations where the failure to enact the plan becomes failure in the mind of the commander. This is utter BS. Failure is determined not by ticking boxes on a plan but by whether or not you achieve important strategic objectives. There are at least two ongoing AARs in which the overall objective has been achieved but because it hasn't been achieved according to the plan the players involved feel they've suffered a major defeat ( when they've actually achieved their strategic objectives ).

Hartwig,
Excellent points. I find it surprising it has taken someone 111 posts to query the basic assumptions underlying my strategy. I might, after all, have gotten the economics assessment completely wrong and be betting on a dead end .

Here's my basic calculus:
1 Oil centre makes 10 Oil Points.
1 Refinery Centre + 10 Oil Point ( 1 OIL Centre ) = 9 Fuel point and 1 Supply point.

So, basically, 1 OIL + 1 REFINERY = 9 tons fuel and 1 ton supply per day.

1 HI centre + 2 tons fuel + 20 resource point ( produce of 1 resource centre ) = 2 HI points + 2 tons supply.

Light Industry only creates supply.

So, my targets are OIL + REFINERY as those are two inputs which will most impact FUEL and HI production. Supply production is just not something I can cripple quite yet with my limited forces.

At the start of the game Japan has 305 OIL centres, 1135 REFINERY Centres and 7,180 HVY INDUSTRY Centres.
So at the start of the game 305 OIL CENTRES combine with 305 REFINERY CENTRES to produce 2,745 tons of fuel and 305 tons of supply per day ( we'll forget about the supplies now as we'll assume Japan will always over-produce supplies ).

Japan has 7,180 HVY INDUSTRY CENTRES and 2,745 tons of fuel per day. This 2,745 tons of fuel is sufficient to run only `1,372 HI CENTRES. These 1,372 HI CENTRES will create 2,744 HI Points... To put this another way without external OIL Japan's HI will function at only 19% efficiency.

To get the other 81% of their HI they need to rob their Fuel and Oil reserves but once those run out they're going to have a shortfall.

What will this shortfall be? 81% of ( 7,180 x 2 ) which = a need for 11,632 tons of fuel PER DAY to run their HI at full efficiency.

So, to create 11,632 tons of fuel per day they will need how many refineries matched with sufficient OIL? Answer: 1,293 REFINERY Centres. But we know they have lots of idle Refineries in Japan... in fact they have (1135-305) = 830 Refinery Centres. That means they have a shortfall of 463 Refinery Centres converting OIL into fuel in order to have their HI work at full power.

So, where can they find these Refineries?
1. Borneo has 540 Refineries.
2. Java has 70 Refineries.
3. Sumatra outside Palembang has 200 Refineries.
4. Palembang has 1,020 Refineries.

To be frank, a bit of damage on capture plus a good carrier raid or two into southern Borneo or from the west coast of Sumatra aimed at Medan should do a good job of reducing those refineries quite nicely. Outside of Palembang they have a maximum of 810 Refineries. Even if less than half are damaged the Japanese will do very well to capture enough undamaged to maintain their war economy at its current size ---- and that simply isn't good enough anyways, they need to be able to expand. To expand their war economy they need to capture Palembang or they need to build costly new refineries in the Home Islands.

If we look at OIL the picture is even grimmer. They need 830 OIL CENTRES to match the existing Refineries they own in order to produce enough fuel for their HI and Navy. So, where could they get 830 OIL Centres? Well, Borneo would yield 640, Java would yield another 360 and Medan ( mainly ) would yield 500. The big prize, again, is Palembang. While the DEI outside of Palembang could generate a hypothetical 1,500 OIL Centres that doesn't take into account damage during conquest. 50% damage to non-Palembang oil centres means Palembang is necessary to maintain current production levels. Even without this 50% damage Palembang is pretty much essential if one wishes to expand Japanese production massively in order to be able to withstand attritional ground warfare.

I've seen players talk about the folly of a ground war in India and Oz and I shake my head... They are utterly missing the point.... They are assuming that Japan can't stomach such attrition. An undamaged Palembang generates 9000 OIL POints per day which can be turned into 8,100 tons of fuel and 900 tons of supply per day. That 8,100 tons of fuel can fuel an entire strategic direction of the IJN/IJA ( either the assault on Oz or India ) or, if you have enough fuel from other sources be shipped home to fuel a massive further expansion of HI from 14,360 HI per turn to 18,400 HI. I suggest that being able to expand HI by an additional 30% or so and committing that HI to producing ground forces would enable the Japanese to probably double their production of vehicles and other army materiel ( assuming a 1/3rd, 1/3rd, 1/3rd split between the Army, Navy and Aerial Forces originally ). Such a committment would enable Japan to withstand TWICE the loss rate it would normally have been able to withstand. A doubling of its sustainable loss rate would, I suggest, irretrievably destroy any Allied strategy to attrit the IJA in Oz or India.

So, Palembang is important. Without it and with luck Japan can still just about meet the needs of its HI. With it Japan has breathing space and the opportunity to allocate resources, HI etc to increase production and allocate that production in order to follow an over-arching strategic plan. Now I happen to think most people won't view it that way and will, instead, waste Palembang's fuel, oil etc to just ease their current operations but the potential for truly decisive strategic usage IS present.

As to whether or not he'll leave Southern Sumatra alone...
If he leaves Southern Sumatra alone I'll continue reinforcing it with troops and planes and will begin bombing Java and northern Borneo. It will also force him to base the Combined Fleet's battleline back in Hong Kong or the Phillipines. It would also act as a raiding base for CLs and DDs hitting Kuching and Javan ports. Sure he would commit his own fleet to these battles but, in the long run, such naval attrition would decisively favour the Allies.

If he doesn't take Southern Sumatra he can't take advantage of the 250 OIL and 200 REFINERIES north of Southern Sumatra in northern Sumatra. Additionally he'll guarantee himself the need to put a huge garrison in Java to prevent me retaking it and doing the same work against the Southern Borneo bases as I would do against the northern Borneon bases.

So, if he leaves Southern Sumatra alone he might as well not take Malaysia or northern Borneo. In addition he'd suffer significant losses to strategic bombing of his OIL centres and a few AS in CAPed bases would give me a potent sub base within a couple of hundred miles of all his major tanker routes.

No, he HAS to take Southern Sumatra or he might as well resign.

As to his failure to intervene against the evacuations. Well he did commit a half-dozen SS to it and also a BB-centred TF. Turning that BB back with a torpedo hit cost me 2 CAs and a CL as well as multiple DDs. Normally a BB in those waters would have utterly destroyed most of those little TFs. I think his major error was just getting so enamoured with the Nell and Betty bombing of ground troops in the Phillipines. I thought all of the Bettys were there but it appears he kept at least 40 at Kuantan with a view to interfering with my evacuation.

Of course even though I didn't see any Bettys hitting my shipping I kept LRCAPing from Palembang and sacrificed two squadrons of the AVG to the air war over Singapore in order to keep those ships safe. At present the AVG is almost ruined. Its ruination was the price I paid for getting those troops out - right now I have 993 AV at Palembang and some 1200 AV at Oosthaven. Smaller forces are scattered through the other bases and Benkoenen will get a few Bdes worth of troops also. I have a few Armoured Bns in Southern Sumatra also and they will take up a central position from which they can move to any of the three possible landing sites within 2 days and add their immense defensive firepower to the defences.

As to the possibility that he is allowing me to evacuate to Palembang in order to win Singapore more easily... Possibly, but if that's his plan then it is a truly atrocious one. Singapore isn't the logistical fulcrum that Palembang is. If he let me escape ( which I don't think he did when you take into account the Bettys he had on naval attack which my LRCAP and CAP missions seemed to have dissuaded and the BB he committed to surface intercept action ) then its a major error on his part IMO.

As to accelerating the fall of Borneo etc... Well, he always knew the strength of my bases in Borneo etc so he could be sure to commit just enough force to overwhelm each base. Right now he lands and takes the base the next turn. Given Dutch experience of 20 and Forts of 1 or 2 I don't think that keeping them in those widely separate bases at the strengths he already knew of would actually yield any bases which survived the first assault. As such I think evacuating those bases doesn't accelerate their fall by a single day. I always leave cadres behind ( 1 or 2 squads ) so that if he air recons he still sees 2 units there and MUST assume that's the one base i haven't evacuated

Right now I'm beginning to look at the forces streaming north into Darwin and all the TKs and AKs shipping stuff from Java to Darwin ( fuel and supplies ) and beginning to think about buying a few Australian Bdes out and sending them to Ambon, Kendari and Timor in order to mess with him. I have a minor operation underway at the moment with Force Z to try and make him more cautious around Southern Borneo and slow him down a little to give me the option of committing these forces north. It might be nice to pincer his southern Borneon/Javan forces between a ring of strengthening Aussie bases in the south and a firmly held, self-sustaining Southern Sumatra in the north.

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 113
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/27/2010 8:50:42 PM   
Q-Ball

I agree that Japan can't leave Palembang alone. Impossible. You have to take it, period.

Destruction of his OIL and REFINERIES is a grand idea, though I personally think that Strategic bombing is way to easy, so some players might not like a raid on Medan or something that woudl take out the OIL.

I think an invasion of India by the Japanese is still folly; MAYBE a hook around Burma if the Brits are still there, or Ceylon, but that's about it.

I think OZ, on the other hand, is much more doable. Part of the reason is you can easily divide it into parts.

First, Northern OZ I think is a must-conquer for Japan, for defensive reasons. You just can't have the Allies there an be secure. At least secure the Timor Sea, which means Wynham and Darwin. Thankfully, it's the easiest region to take down.

Southwest Australia is a semi-island. There aren't alot of troops there at start, and it's not easy to get to for the Allies. If the Japs land in force and can take Kagloorie, it is defacto an island; no way you can walk overland from Adelaide!

The rest of Australia is more of a problem, but I think SW OZ is a nice target. Not sure how realistic it is to take the whole thing, but trying will put a crimp in the Allied plans.

Of all the "shoot for the moon" targets, I think Australia is the best one for Japan.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 114
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/28/2010 1:11:32 AM   
bklooste

quote:

Bklooste,
The problem with doing as you suggest: 1 - Marcus, 2 Ponape, Gilberts etc is that going for Marcus first will pretty much draw his forces closer to Ponape and Gilberts and actually DRAW the enemy towards the second phase guaranteeing stronger resistance and lessening the chances of success.

Diversionary operations usually work best if they draw the enemy main force AWAY from the critical point and less well if they draw the enemy force towards the critical point at the critical time.

I thought phase 1 AND phase 2 were diversions ... While i dont think his initial response to Gilberts will be affected by Marcus ( since Marcus can be done with minor forces it will be almost simultanious) it will increase his medium term comitment which is part of the plan. You then force a more significant show down in the Gilberts which will be on your terms/ ground ( so you get more pilots back etc) , he also wastes a LOT of fleet oil which goes well with the Sumatra strategy. You also move KB and his other assets away from where Phase 3 will be , i suspect phase 3 will be more an attack of oportunity , maybe Malaysia , maybe a carrier strike on Borneo. I would probably take Ponape OR Marcus ( not both) and then the Gilberts a few days later.
I supose since you may not loose the Gilbert battle unless he comits significant forces it doesnt fulfil the force him to comit and will loose both criteria. I do like strategies that reinforce the attack his oil concept i prefer doing this when Singapore falls so he doesnt have KB around for Sumatra.

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 115
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/28/2010 11:47:59 PM   
Nemo121

bklooste,

Even if both are diversions that still doesn't justify being strategically inept and having the first operation draw enemy reserves/reaction forces into a perfect position to crush the second operation. In 1944 the Soviets didn't phase and mount their local operations in order to draw the enemy reserves to the correct location to crush the next operation in the series.

January 4th:
I-8 spots another xAP operating near Palmyra bringing CD units and AAA into Canton and Pago Pago, fires 6 torpedoes at it and misses.

Japanese air raids in the Phillipines continue apace. 105 naval bombers and over 60 IJA bombers paste the Phillipine ground forces at Naga., Fortunately I've finally managed to extricate the majority of these units and march them 46 miles northward. The rearguard is also in the process of pulling out and in a couple of day's time it should be clear. Once that's done I can retreat northward in combat mode more rapidly than the Japanese can follow. Right now the plan is to consolidate into Manilla and hold behind Level 4 fortifications. I am hoping that the mix of AAA and Level 4 fortifications helps these forces survive the inevitable bombing. Their only role, once they reach Manilla, is to survive as long as possible and tie down the several divisions of Japanese troops which would be needed to reinforce the Malaysian IJA in order to successfully invade Southern Sumatra.

Time taken up with Manilla = a delayed assault into Sumatra = the loss of the IJA landing bonus and significantly reduced possibilities of invading India/Oz and really significant portions of the Pacific.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at 81,80 The IJA's attempt to take Naga. This really surprised me. He has 727 AV, 2 division's worth of troops and 2 tank regiments and yet my paltry forces held him off. It looks like using the 4th Marine Regiment as the mainstay of the rearguard was a good decision. I am thinking of trying to evacuate a goodly portion of the 4th Marine Regiment before the Philippines falls as the Marines have a pretty good replacement rate and the 100,000+ tons of supplies should let them rebuild quickly in Palembang.

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 13242 troops, 114 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 727

Defending force 6555 troops, 145 guns, 33 vehicles, Assault Value = 212

Japanese adjusted assault: 175

Allied adjusted defense: 103

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), disruption(-), fatigue(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
308 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
339 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 51 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 37 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Assaulting units:
20th Infantry Regiment
4th Division
9th Infantry Regiment
16th Engineer Regiment
Kimura Det
4th Tank Regiment
16th Recon Regiment
7th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
41st PA Infantry Division
31st Infantry Regiment
4th Marine Regiment

In other news: KB has been missing for 3 days now, probably in the Home Islands reprovisioning. Proceedings are apace to give Japan a few headaches over the coming weeks. The next two days should see significant naval action as a couple of TF which have gotten into the Japanese backyard unspotted finally unmask and hit their targets.

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 116
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/30/2010 2:12:24 AM   
Nemo121

Well my "big surprise" today didn't quite work out. 3 of my USN CVs managed to sneak to within 92 miles of Roi Namur in the Marshalls. The goal was to hit the CVL which previously hit a ship of mine near Howland Island, kill a few escorts and, generally, weaken the enemy surface combat assets forcing some redeployments on Mike's part.

Now the CVs will be seen retreating towards Wake Island - where the Marcus invasion TF ( diversionary ) is waiting to go. My idea is that the combination of CV TF retreating to Wake and an invasion of Marcus will make a tempting target for the IJN CVs. That should draw the IJN CVs into the Marcus region. That's the plan anyways. We'll label this Phase 1.

Obviously though my CVs aren't going to suicidally run to Marcus. Instead they'll rendezvous with tankers and make a high speed dash to the staging area for the real target where troops, supplies and fuel are already unloading.

In other news... It looks like my forces got away at Naga. Only 3 Allied LCUs still remain at Naga and they held the IJA attack today at 1:1 odds with pretty even losses to both sides. Overall the retreat towards Manilla is looking good.

In CHina the IJA aren't being fancy, they are just loading all the units from Manchukuo into northern China and making a direct line path for Sian. That's fine though, it'll provide a nice test for the new artillery model.

Palembang: We're going to see this begin featuring in the AAR more and more. At present I have 300 FlAK guns there including at least 5 British AAA Regiments ( including every transferable units from Malaysia ). I am hopeful that the sheer mass of AAA will act as protection against his bombers and commence a useful level of attrition. My plan is to build up an inland base as my primary airbase while allowing Mike to waste bombers in the high-lethality air over Palembang.

In any case today he must have set his naval bombers to naval attack in order to try and kill some shipping around Singapore. Unfortunately for him I had large amounts of shipping unloading troops at Palembang and a lot of his naval bombers tried to hit Palembang. The end result was that I downed 20 Bettys/Nells and over the course of the day had one of my better A2A days so far with 35 Japanese planes downed in return for a single Allied plane. The Hurricane IIs were in action for the first time today and managed to get 6 kills, not bad for a 12 plane squadron.

I now have sufficient P-40s and P-39s in the pool to "upgrade" the 3rd AVG in Burma to P-39s ( freeing up 27 H81s to the pool for the 1st AVG ) and to upgrade the 2nd AVG to P40Es. The end result will be to give 1st AVG a total of 40 or so H81s to fly/use as spares while 2nd AVG will use P40Es. This will represent a significant boost in ability for the defenders of Southern Sumatra but won't routinely be used over Palembang as it is much more important for me to be able to fly CAP over Benkoenen or Oosthaven when additional transports are unloading there.

In other news the 5th RAA Coastal Artillery Unit ( 16 x 6" CD guns ) has reached Oosthaven. I'm hopeful that given whatever hotfix is coming down the line re: CD performance and our Home Rule governing amphibious TFs that this unit will achieve something useful.

Currently with over 3100 AV in Southern Sumatra mostly split between Palembang and Oosthaven and almost a division's worth of armour deployed on the ground or on its way from Aden to be used as a mobile reserve I'm feeling more confident that Southern Sumatra truly will be a significant speedbump for the Japanese.

Elsewhere it is really just proceeding as expected... Phase 2 forces are in place and loaded on ships and will commence movement once the Phase 1 landing ( tiny and probably likely to fail ) occurs.

Oh, I should make it clear... The attack into the Marianas failed to come off because all of my CVs were clouded in so no planes flew.

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 1/30/2010 11:53:47 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 117
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/30/2010 5:11:47 AM   
bklooste

quote:

bklooste,

Even if both are diversions that still doesn't justify being strategically inept and having the first operation draw enemy reserves/reaction forces into a perfect position to crush the second operation. In 1944 the Soviets didn't phase and mount their local operations in order to draw the enemy reserves to the correct location to crush the next operation in the series.

Depends ... In the FOF the Germans did exatly that attack Netherlands , Attack Belgium , then Attacked the Ardennes , the goal being to concentrate the enemies reserve. It depends on what phase 3 is .....

Marcus Island can be taken at the same time.. I dont think Marcus Island will draw KB ( maybe mini KB) but the Gilberts prob. will. Or maybe not your opponent has show he is not interested in the Pacific ( not taking Wake) he may not send KB at all , he may just use it to continue offensives. and ignore the Pacific till mid to late 42 Reinforce success not failure is a valid strategy.

Personally with your LBA in Sumatra and if KB/mini KB is in the Pacific 4 carriers can do a LOT of damage to his oil supplies and oil convoys . Normally after Singapore falls the japanese player quickly sends lots of tankers to Borneo. The more CVs / Betties in the Central Pacific the better.

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 118
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/30/2010 5:40:33 AM   
Q-Ball

It will be interesting to see his reaction on Marcus. I have stated earlier, Marcus is much less useful in AE, it's not an offensive platform, and pretty much impossible to defend. I think you'll take it because there shouldn't be anything there more than a single base force, but I wouldn't leave a garrison; they will end up as POWs. As Japan, you can re-take it at your leisure in 1942, and there isn't anything the Allies can do to stop you short of committing all carriers.

Phase 2? I can't guess. I suspect it's somewhere that isn't perfect. Maybe Nauru; it's at least out of LBA range of everything, though it would be tough to keep it supplied. Other than that, the Solomons are out, and there is nowhere else that would be contested.

You might be thinking Onnekotan Jima or however that's spelled up in the Kuriles, but note that Japan gets a pile of free units if you land up there. (Canoerebel found this out the hard way).

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 119
RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs... - 1/30/2010 8:07:58 PM   
ny59giants

In answer to your question about armor in Sumatra, I would place them at Lahat. It is on the road network and rail. It is in woods and if it is still a dot hex, may be overlooked by his recon for some time. As far as I know, moving in and out of Strat Mode is the only one that takes times to accomplish.

What are you doing at Benkoelen?? Building up the port at all??

Merak - mine the hex and place disbanded ACMs in he port to maintain it. It would block him moving ship through the straits without mine sweepers (I found out subs don't do well getting through it either ).

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Encirclement is a state of mind... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI