Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Roundhouse

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Operation Roundhouse Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Roundhouse - 1/15/2010 3:54:26 AM   
CapAndGown

All the land forces tasked with participating in the south seas operation are now at Truk. The KB also arrived there last turn. I was debating on whether to wait for the Zuiho and Ryujo to join up before heading south, as I originally planned. But time is of the essence. My entire strategy is based on taking strategically important bases before the allies have a chance to reinforce them. Thus, while I wait on the fast BBs traveling from the Celebes,as wells as the two CVLs to arrive at Truk, I am going to take a portion of the forces already there and invade both Rabaul and PM. The laggard BBs and CVLs can catch up later.

The 65th Brigade will invade Rabaul and 146th Regiment/56th Division with the support of the 8th Tank Regiment will attempt to capture PM. The KB will run interference and two surface TFs composed of 2xCLs and 7xDDs each will accompany the two invasion TFs for close support. The 15th Base Force will follow along shortly to garrison Rabaul and an air flotilla is also heading there from Takao. Betties will fly in shortly after the occupation as will a Sentai of Zeros.

Even as the invasion of Rabaul is in progress, the 2nd Division and the rest of the 56th Division will set sail for Noumea and Pago-Pago. Once the PM landing is completed and the invasion fleet has begun to retire, the KB will move to cover the the forces heading south where they will be joined by the trailing CVLs and BBs. I expect that these forces will marshal in the vicinity of the Santa Cruz Islands where they will split up, with KB1 and the 2nd division heading to Pago-Pago and KB2 with the rest of the 56th Division heading to Noumea. Meanwhile, the 65th Brigade will reboard at Rabaul and head south to act as a reserve. Should opposition prove to be light at either or both Pago-Pago and Noumea, only one regiment from each division will actually conduct the landings. (I plan on reconning these bases with Glens for a few days before the invasion.) The remaining troops, along with the 65th Brigade will then converge on Fiji.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/15/2010 3:56:23 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 31
RE: Operation Roundhouse - 1/15/2010 9:09:25 PM   
CapAndGown

Just a quick note. I saw a suggestion on the forum to use the "resize to fit ship" method to increase the size of some of these tiny IJN units. So I now have a mission for the Taiyo: it will sail around the Pacific and temporarily load up these tiny detachment and magically make them grow. Maybe I should call it the Mystery Magical Tour of the Taiyo.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 32
RE: Operation Roundhouse - 1/16/2010 9:11:31 AM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 20, 1941
And here we go . . .  The Rabaul invasion TFs are two days away from the target. I am not sure we have been spotted yet. But I have a report of 3 ships in Simpson harbor. I suspect they are part of the Australian navy. They may, however, be PT boats. If so, I will send in my surface forces to clean them out before sending in the invasion force.

Things have generally been subdued since the end of the action in the Celebes Sea. The only thing that really stood out was the absolute slaughter we faced on a raid against Clark Field. The IJAAF will stand down this turn to lick its wounds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76
Weather in hex: Heavy rain
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
     Ki-21-Ic Sally x 19
     Ki-21-IIa Sally x 16
     Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 27

Allied aircraft
     P-35A x 2
     P-40B Warhawk x 3
     P-40E Warhawk x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
     Ki-21-Ic Sally: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
     Ki-21-IIa Sally: 3 destroyed, 5 damaged
     Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
     P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
     4 casualties reported
        Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
        Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
        Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 4

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 33
RE: Operation Roundhouse - 1/16/2010 2:44:50 PM   
Grotius

Hmm, 7 planes destroyed -- tough result, though not a disaster. Time to sweep the airfield with Zeroes, maybe?

I'm doing the same thing with Taiyo, lol.

One question about your paratroopers in Japan. Would it be possible or practical to air-transport them over to Bangkok in hops? Maybe using the long-legged Tinas on Formosa? I'm guessing it would take just as long, or longer, to air transport them, what with round-trips and all -- even if one can find airbases to hopscotch to and from. I guess I'm resigned to moving those guys by ship, as you did. I just kinda like the idea of moving paratroopers by air, ya know? :)

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 34
RE: Operation Roundhouse - 1/17/2010 7:15:10 AM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 21, 1941

Well, it looks like witpqs did not see me coming after all. The KB bounced two ships in Simpson Harbor, the Adelaide and an xAP. The AP had some troops aboard, so I wonder if they were coming or going? I guess we find out tomorrow as the 65th brigade hits the beach.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Rabaul at 106,125
Weather in hex: Moderate rain
Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 44
B5N2 Kate x 25
D3A1 Val x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Adelaide, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAP Macdhui, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
122 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 35 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Well, I continue to learn as time passes. The 38th division started unloading in the night turn at Atimonan (south of Manila) and by the time it got around to the orders phase it was almost completely unloaded. One whole division landed in one turn! They were loaded on AKs and the IJN's lone LSD. So I have seen the value of AKs in a very dramatic fashion. Every xAK that can be converted to an AK is going to be. This turn I spent some time trying to organize these ships so I know where they are when the time comes and I can convert them.

Meanwhile, I have decided that all the conversions of cargo space to troop space were a waste of time with a few exceptions. The xAK that yeild a troop space of 990 after conversion seem worth while: big enough to carry a significant load, small enough so that if one of them is sunk, the entire unit will not go with it. I am not sure if the xAKs that convert to AKs keep the additional troop space after conversion, but I am going to keep those as well. The rest are going back to regular xAKs.

I have also decided that the Japanese Empire will not be building any Tonys. Tony factories have been converted to Franks and Tojo IIa's. The deciding factor was the engine. The Tony is the only plane to use the Nak-Ha-60. So I switched the Ha-60 over to the Nak-Ha-45.

The BBs arrived at Truk but some of them were not able to reload this turn because my sole AKE ran out of ops points. Another lesson: have multiple AKEs at rearming points!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 35
RE: Operation Roundhouse - 1/18/2010 2:39:41 AM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 22

An eventful turn.

Started out with the slaughter of a transport TF at Jolo. I wonder if witpqs was trying to garrison Jolo, or simply evacing some high value unit from Luzon? I should note that the IJN maintains its dismal record with long lances. The Ravnaas was only hit after already being slowed down by multiple shell hits.
Day Time Surface Combat, near Jolo at 74,90, Range 19,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CA Aoba
CA Kinugasa
CL Isuzu
DD Hagikaze
DD Ikazuchi
DD Usugumo
DD Sagiri
DD Kikuzuki

Allied Ships
xAKL Elcano, Shell hits 19, and is sunk
xAKL Escalante R, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
xAKL Kanlaon II, Shell hits 20, and is sunk
xAKL Latouche, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
xAKL Sarangami, Shell hits 16, and is sunk
xAKL Taurus, Shell hits 15, and is sunk
xAK Ravnaas, Shell hits 20, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
577 casualties reported
Squads: 11 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 60 destroyed, 72 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 7 disabled
Guns lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 61 (26 destroyed, 35 disabled)

The Oscars that suffered so badly two turns ago over Clark Field came back today and did better. Unfortunately, their guns can't penetrate a cotton shirt. Lots of damaged P-40s, but no kills.
Morning Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76
Weather in hex: Overcast
Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 38,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 27

Allied aircraft
P-35A x 1
P-40B Warhawk x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x Ki-43-Ib Oscar sweeping at 35000 feet
Oscars can't even kill Buffalos.
Morning Air attack on Kuala Lumpur , at 49,79
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 29
Ki-43-Ia Oscar x 29

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ia Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10

Meanswhile, back to Operation Roundhouse. The KB launched an alpha strike today against Rabaul. Turns out witpqs was evacing from Rabaul, not reinforcing. There was almost no-one home, and those that were left were totally destroyed in the bombing raid. When the 65th Brigade landed there was no one left!
Afternoon Air attack on Rabaul Det. Base Force, at 106,125 (Rabaul)
Weather in hex: Moderate rain
Raid spotted at 43 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
B5N2 Kate x 133
D3A1 Val x 127

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 5 damaged
D3A1 Val: 5 damaged

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Tomorrow we capture Rabaul and Puerto Princessa.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 36
RE: Operation Roundhouse - 1/18/2010 3:10:34 AM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 23, 1941

We captured Rabaul today. A major BF (with naval support) is about 3 days away, and a large group of support ships from Truk, including an AD, and AS, some CMs, some ACMs and some AMc's as well as some TKs with fuel set sail for Simpson Harbor as well. Rabaul will serve as a forward sub base for operations against Australia. Already a number of subs have had their home port changed to Rabaul. This will give them longer time on station.

Before turning to other matters, however, I found this little sub action to be interesting.
Sub vs Sub: SS RO-34 attacking SS Pompano at 150,129
Japanese Ships
SS RO-34

Allied Ships
SS Pompano

SS RO-34 launches 2 torpedoes at 3,000 yards

We are slowing attriting the Brit MTBs that have been operating out of Tarakan in the direction of Jolo and Tawi-Tawi. These pests need to be taken care of so the occupation of Jolo can proceed.
Night Time Surface Combat, near Tawi Tawi at 71,89, Range 2,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
CA Ashigara
CL Sendai
CL Kuma
DD Shirayuki
DD Hatsuyuki
DD Yugiri
DD Minazuki
DD Asakaze
DD Matsukaze

Allied Ships
MTB 7, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
MTB 8
MTB 9, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
MTB 10
MTB 11
MTB 12
MTB 27

Unlike Oscars, Tojos pack a punch.
Morning Air attack on Kuala Lumpur , at 49,79
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 25
Ki-44 Tojo x 9

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 3 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 55

I have not yet launched a raid against Singapore. The range is far and I am just now getting airbases at Khota Bharu and Alor Star set up. Also, I am worried that the AVG may have relocated here. I am afraid we are going to find the forts there are quite large by the time we arrive.

Task Forces in motion:

A TF is heading for Jolo. Should be occupied in two days.

I am gathering SNLFs for an attack on Tarakan in order to secure my LOC through the Sulu Sea. (Of course, Cagayan can still launch anti-shipping raids into the Celebes and Sulu Seas.)

An amphibious TF with the 146 regemint will land at Ambon tomorrow. There are three surface TFs that will cover this invasion. Plus, Zeros at Menado are providing LRCAP while Nells stand ready to strike at any surface threat. (Though, for some reason, they have not seen fit to strike at the allied shipping fleeing down the Makassar strait.)

3 more SNLFs are departing Menado for Kendari. This will be the same set up as for Ambon. The surface TFs will shift from Ambon to Kendari as the invasion force approaches its target.

SNLFs at Jailut are being loaded for a descent on Baker and Canton. Another TF just left Jailut to pick up the SNLFs at Makin and Tarawa, which will also be used as part of the Baker/Canton operation. This operation will be run in conjunction with the descent on Pago-Pago. More or less, I plan on taking these Islands en-passant as KB2 and the 2nd Division proceed towards Samoa.

Wake will be invaded tomorrow with another SNLF. The one that is already on the atoll has seen its disruption greatly reduced and has been ordered to make a shock attack to help out the newcomers.

Our PM invasion force is two days away from landing. I imagine that PM has been reinforced by the units that were at Rabaul. There is a chance, though, that they are still on ships somewhere between New Guinea and Australia, so I have sent the KB on ahead just in case there is some shipping out there. If the 144 Reg/56 Division finds PM to be too hard to take on its own, the 65th brigade, which is already reboarding, can lend a hand.

Elements of the 56 Division set sail today for a point east of Rennell Island. They are in a slow TF and so need a head start.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/18/2010 3:15:12 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 37
Christmas Eve - 1/18/2010 5:24:58 PM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 24, 1941 Christmas Eve

Cent Pac
The Wake Invasion was a disaster. One of the SNLFs was almost completely wiped out: the few infantry squads remaining are all disabled. The other SNLF is in better shape, but its disruption is very high. I wonder, do reinforcing troops on an atoll not trigger a shock attack? This may partially explain what happened: the landing troops did not contribute to the assault. Well, now I need to find some more troops to send, only this time I am going to send some BBs to bombard the place. But for that I will need carrier support which is currently unavailable. I hope Wake is not going to turn into a major thorn in my side.
Ground combat at Wake Island (136,98)
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 2572 troops, 38 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 99
Defending force 959 troops, 24 guns, 10 vehicles, Assault Value = 27

Japanese adjusted assault: 46
Allied adjusted defense: 54
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
1488 casualties reported
Squads: 55 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 51 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 13 (1 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
109 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Assaulting units:
Maizuru 2nd SNLF
Maizuru 1st SNLF /4

Defending units:
Wake USN CPNAB
1st Marine Defense Battalion

DEI
The 41st Regiment landed at Ambon and will launch an assault tomorrow. The Zeros providing LRCAP from Menado were able to fend off the feeble counter attack. The other Zero squadron at Menado was able to shoot down 5 B-17s! My word, never seen that before. Medals all around! And a new 80+ exp pilot. I wonder if they were flying out of Soerebaya? The long range may partially explain these results.

Morning Air attack on Manado , at 75,99
Weather in hex: Clear sky
Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 5

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Anyway, Jolo will be invaded tomorrow. The day after troops will assault Brunei, the last base on the west side of Borneo that is not mine. In addition, three SNLF units will land at Kendari. Base forces for these new acquisitions are currently steaming south past Mindanao. In about four days, four SNLFs will have gathered around Puerto Princessa for the assault on Tarakan.

Luzon

Manila has been declared an open city by the allies and will be captured tomorrow, as will Iba. Two divisions are now marching on Clark Field to hold the US forces in place while the airfields are developed and a continuous bombing campaign is launched.

Malaya/Burma

Georgetown will be captured tomorrow.

Everything is all set for an airdrop on Port Blair tomorrow. Recon shows only one unit there. Sallys from Bangkok will bomb the place, while my two largest transport squadrons drop the raider battalion from Victoria Point. Also at Victoria Point is a squadron of Bettys set to naval attack and 20% search. I am determined not to let anything in or out of Malaya via the Malacca strait. (an air flotilla hq is there, so they are using torps.)

Operation Roundhouse: Solomons Phase

I had some Kates recon PM. Supposedly, only 4 units are there, about 5000 troops. So it does not appear that the folks he pulled out of Rabaul are there. I will recon again tomorrow to be sure.

I have made a decision: I am going to split the KB tomorrow. Three CVs will split off to join up with the 56 and 2 division forces. The CVL/CV/BB TF currently at Truk will join this group. They will then sail on to Baker/Canton to cover those landings while the 2 division steams toward Samoa. The other three carriers covering the invasion of PM will linger for another day and then also set sail to join up with the 56 division group where they will be met by the Ryujo which is still 3 days out from Truk. Speed, speed, speed! I need to get to Canton/Samoa before reinforcements arrive. Also, as I pass down the Solomons chain, I will do some recon to see if witpqs took those troops at Rabaul and landed them at some place like Shortlands or Tulagi.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 38
RE: Christmas Eve - 1/18/2010 6:14:54 PM   
CapAndGown

The following map roughly outlines my plans for operation Roundhouse phase II (phase I being the invasion of Rabaul and PM)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 39
Christmas Day - 1/18/2010 10:24:29 PM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 25, 1941, Christmas Day

Santa was not nice to the Japanese Empire today. Probably because we are not Christians and do not celebrate Christmas.

Malaya

Georgetown captured.

The Sallys at Bangkok scheduled to bomb Port Blair did not fly due to weather. As a result, my paratroopers were not able to capture the base. Transports will fly in supply tomorrow (I am hoping air dropped supplies work and I don't have to own the base for supply transport to work.) Two other para units are almost at Victoria Point. Once they arrive, I will drop them as well.

Port Moresby

My recon was wrong. There were not 4 units at Port Moresby, but 8. Apparently the troops from Rabaul were moved here. This has caused a slight change of plan. The full KB will launch a ground attack tomorrow, while the two accompanying surface TFs will bombard the place. Hopefully, that will disrupt the defenders because the 146 Regiment and 8 tank regiment are going to launch a shock attack.

Luzon

Despite my recon, there was actually a Filipino division in Manila. My recon batallion that was suppose to easily capture the place was badly repulsed. So now teh 33 division is re-landing at Atimona and will be used to capture the city. The boys in that division must be confused.

DEI

The deliberate attack at Ambon was repulsed because of the forts there, but they have now been reduced to 0. So tomorrow the 41st Regiment will shock attack.

Ground combat at Ambon (76,109)
Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 3536 troops, 26 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 122
Defending force 2106 troops, 25 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 57

Japanese adjusted assault: 55
Allied adjusted defense: 46

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
135 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Of much more interest is the report of a CV in the Banda Sea. This could be the PoW and Repulse, it could be the RN CVL, or there is an outside possibility that a US CV could have reached here already, though I should think it would take longer than that. At any rate, everyone is doing a bug out. The forces at Ambon are retreating. Two of the surface forces will bombard Ambon with retirement allowed so they will scoot after shooting. The transport TF is retreating at full speed. And one surface TF of a CL and some DDs will try to intercept some fleeing merchies north of Ceram.

The Kendari force, will not be so lucky because they are too close. So they are going to retreat as much as they can, but they are going to have to rely on LRCAP from Menado.

In case this is not a CV but the PoW, I am bringing down 3 BBs from Badeldoab that just rearmed at Truk.

Wake

I turned replacements on for the beat up SNLF at Wake and it seems to be working. I have also put it into reserve mode. I may not need any more reinforcements here. What I need is some good solid disruption of the defenders. So my other slow BB TF will be sent to bombard Wake and the Nells at Roi will bomb the place.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/18/2010 10:25:06 PM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 40
Port Moresby Falls - 1/20/2010 4:03:17 AM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 26, 1941

Operation Roundhouse Phase I

Port Moresby fell to a shock attack. The odds were just enough (4-1) to overcome the level 2 forts. After checking which allied units were present against the scenario starting deployments, I found that witpqs had stripped not only Rabaul, but Kanevig, Lae, and Horn Island as well. This means I can take Lae and Kanevig with minimal forces. A small unit is already on the way to Buna to start building the airbase there. Other units will need to be added, but I need to basically trap the defeated forces that are now sitting on top of the Owen-Stanleys and let them starve.

I am sending additional troops to this theater in order to capture Horn Island. I may even decide to load part of the 146 regiment at Port Moresby to accomplish this task. I figure witpqs had two of the original three units that were stationed there still in place. By controlling Horn Island and the rest of New Guinea, I can block his use of the Torres Strait while leaving this route open to my own shipping.

I have a spotting report of two ships at Horn Island. I am going to send my two surface groups at Port Moresby there to investigate. The KB, on the other hand, after contributing to the capture of PM with a large airstrike, will now head out to join the forces heading south for the second phase of operation Roundhouse.

Wake Update

In checking my forces at Wake I noticed that they had very crappy leaders. This may partially explain my poor results there. I have changed them with leaders with high land skill and high administrative values. I am hoping the admin values will help disabled squads recover quicker.

DEI

Forces landed on Jolo and will capture it tomorrow.

The shock attack at Ambon was successful. All three Dutch units there surrendered.

The reported "CV" was not a CV, even though the spotting report still indicates that there is a CV in that TF. From its behaviour I assume these were a couple of mine layers: in and out of Kendari in the course of the night. I am sending some DMS there to sweep the place, while the invasion force has been turned around and is heading back to Kendari. Meanwhile, the BB TF continues to steam towards Kendari to provide heavy cover in case the PoW group makes a reappearance.

One notable action was a small raid by 2 Hudsons on the Kendari invasion force. As I watched the replay, the Hudsons kept firing and firing, damaging one Zero after the other. They even managed to shoot down one of the Zero. Those guys deserve a medal. Unfortunately, no on on the allied side will ever know about the skill and bravery since they were both shot down in the end.
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Sidate at 75,102
Weather in hex: Partial cloud
Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 26

Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 destroyed

Brunei was invaded. I believe it should fall tomorrow.

Kendari should be invaded in two or three days. Aviation support units are a few days away from Ambon. Next up: Tarakan, perhaps four or five days away, and then Timor.

Malaya/Burma

An undefended Tavoy was captured.

There will be another para drop on Port Blair tomorrow. After thinking about this move, I am now beginning to doubt its wisdom. Leaving those paras out there would seem to leave them exposed to a counter invasion. On the plus side, I have Betties with torps based at Victoria Point. Should witpqs try and invasion without substantial carrier support, his invasion fleet could be shredded. Assuming the base in captured, I will fly out a small aviation support unit so I can set up a patrol base there and the paratroops will be air evaced back to Victoria Point.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 41
RE: Port Moresby Falls - 1/21/2010 11:42:05 PM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 27, 1941

Brunei, Jolo, and Nauru Island were all captured today. Other than that, not much.

Witpqs has been trying to smuggle ground units out of The Philippines. I don't know what they are, though I assume they are BFs attached to the asiatic fleet. My ships have been intercepting them and blowing them out of the water. Some have come down the west side of Mindanao and been intercepted around Jolo, other have come down the east side between Mindanao and Babeldoab. For some reason my Netties have been reluctant to fly against them. Maybe because they have been in single ship TFs and are thus beneath contempt. At any rate, I have had to send out surface raiders to get them. Glad I did too, since they were obviously carrying valuable cargo.

I will say that mid-ocean intercepts have gotten much too easy in AE. Its a big ocean and the odds of finding someone at night should be rather small. Yet only once or twice have I seen one of the small transport TFs manage to escape into the night.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 42
Filler up Mack - 1/22/2010 12:21:41 AM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 28, 1941

3 SNLF units landed at Kendari today. Betties from Menado will ground attack tomorrow (I hope) and the land units will launch a shock attack.

3 or 4 SNLF units will invade Tarakan tomorrow. LRCAP will be provided by Zeros now based at Jolo.

Assembly Point Exxon

A replenishment TF is stationed about 90 miles east of Otong Java. Both the Noumea and Samoa invasion groups refueled there today and are now heading towards their targets. Tomorrow, the 65 Brigade and the KB will mate up with the oilers. The CVLs are heading down from Truk and will join up with the KB the day after tomorrow and then we will form KB1 and KB2.

I have a spotting report of "3 ships" "AK" about 4 hexes from Pago-Pago. It looks like allied reinforcements will arrive before I do. I am thinking this may be the 8th Marine regiment. It has an AV of about 125. The 2nd Div has an assault value of about 420. I doubt this will be enough on its own. Therefore, the 65th Brigade, with an AV of around 220 will also be thrown into the attack. Meanwhile, the subs I have stationed there will try to intercept. However, witpqs has been very active with ASW forces there so I cannot hope for a great deal of success that way. My nightmare scenario would be if there more than just one regiment on Samoa when I get there. At that point I would need to bring over elements of the 56th Division (which is headed to Noumea) to reinforce the assault. OTOH, it does not seem that reinforcements have arrived yet at Noumea. So perhaps one regiment would be enough to take the place while the other regiment can head over to Pago Pago if needed.

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/22/2010 1:19:27 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 43
RE: Filler up Mack - 1/22/2010 7:31:27 PM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 29, 1941

Kendari was captured today. Tarakan was invaded. It should be captured tomorrow. Timor is next on the hit parade. I am less certain about when I will move on Makassar and Balikpapan.

The CVL force should mate up with the KB tomorrow. My attempts to intercept witpqs's TF heading to Pago-Pago failed. I am sending two subs into the harbor to investigate. I will need to start reconning with Glens fairly soon.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 44
RE: Filler up Mack - 1/23/2010 2:23:31 AM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 30, 1941

Tarakan was captured.

One of my subs (I-16) that entered Pago-Pago Harbor hit a mine. It's wounded, but still alive. More important was the intelligence gained. I-16 hit AP President Monroe with two torps. The AP is reported as sunk. Witpqs notified me by email that there was a thread in the tech support forum that I might wish to look at since supposedly the info in it was out of date. Well it was not. Putting together the info in that thread, with the sinking of the President Monroe, Japanese intelligence has a high degree of confidence that the US Army 34th infantry regiment is at Pago-Pago. Exp 40, AV 115. The question is: what about the Marines? I don't think they are there yet. But they very well could be on the way. They are very good and have an AV of 116. Combined, we might be looking at as much as 300 AV. Not the cake-walk I wanted, but I am carrying on.

I sent 4 DMS to Kendari to sweep up the mines there. 2 of them hit mines and were sunk. I guess that's one way to clear a mine field.

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/23/2010 2:25:10 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 45
New Years Eve - 1/23/2010 4:46:43 PM   
CapAndGown

Ignore

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/26/2010 4:46:14 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 46
RE: New Years Eve - 1/23/2010 4:49:53 PM   
CapAndGown

Dec. 31, 1941, New Years Eve

Luzon
Japanese forces CAPTURE Manila !!! I didn't realize there was a garrison requirement, so I got hit by a partisan attack right after capturing it. I am diverting forces to form a garrison. My two divisions are now marching on Clark Field. I am fairly sure they will be sufficient hold the allies in place. The same thing happened at Georgetown.

NG/Solomons

Japanese forces CAPTURE Buna !!!

DEI
As I was afraid would happen, after capturing Tarakan last turn, B-17s showed up this turn to hit the oil fields. I see all these AARs of people capturing Balikpapan and Palembang fairly early on and I have to wonder why since that opens them up to strategic bombing attacks until Java is secured. Anyway, I now have some Oscars there to put up at least a token defense. A base force is heading there to provide aviation support. AAA units from Nagasaki, Saigon (the Samah ones were transferred to Saigon) and Takao are now all getting on ships to head to Borneo. Later they will be moved to other oil centers, such as Balikpapan and Palembang, as they are captured. I do have to question, however, the wisdom of going after the oil. I think hitting the refineries would be even more effective in some ways. I do have my first tanker convoy heading to Miri to pick up some oil for Bangkok which only has 9 days supply.

Engineers in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

I am gathering up all the engineers in Manchuria that do not have any AV value and sending them to Fusan where they will board ships to start fortifying my acquisitions. I have also sent a Infantry division to Fusan with the intention of buying that as well.

SOPAC: Operation Roundhouse, Phase II

3 days from landing at Noumea. Recon commences tomorrow. I am not sure how long until we get down to Pago-Pago. At least 5 days. KB1 will precede the invasion force to intercept any shipping there, particularly transports. I have the feeling we will not find any CVs there. I have scheduled a bombardment by some BBs against Wake, as well as a ground attack by Nells at Roi/Namur, and a shock attack by the SNLFs sitting there. In the process of setting up this attack, I noticed the air icon was gone. Maybe this if FOW. I will know for sure tomorrow. But if this is true, it means witpqs sent at least one carrier to go pick up the Marine squadron at Wake. He probably planned this while the KB was supporting the invasion of PM. My guess would be that he would not send out just one carrier. So I feel pretty good we will not find any CVs in the SoPac area. There is a chance, however, that CVs in the vicinity of Wake could head south an interdict my invasions of Baker and Canton. Right now, assuming he has patrol planes on those islands, if they spot my invasion forces, they will look like they are headed for the Elice Islands.

here is the same view, only showing the search arcs of KB2

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/23/2010 4:51:26 PM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 47
New Years Day - 1/24/2010 3:43:27 AM   
CapAndGown

Ignore

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/24/2010 3:48:21 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 48
RE: New Years Day - 1/24/2010 3:45:07 AM   
CapAndGown

Ignore again. Got the wrong picture

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/24/2010 3:48:05 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 49
RE: New Years Day - 1/24/2010 3:47:40 AM   
CapAndGown

Jan. 1, 1942

All the green and orange marking for my pilots went away. I miss the Irish.

Finally, Wake is taken. The BB bombardment no doubt helped.
Naval bombardment of Wake Island at 136,98 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!
17 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
BB Yamashiro
CL Oi
CL Kiso
CL Tama

Allied ground losses:
38 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

The BBs are beating a hasty withdrawal towards Saipan in case he tries to catch them with his carriers that I presume are out there. (Both the ground combat and the bombardment confirm the F4Fs were gone, ergo rescue by CV.)

Burma

My ground force finally assembled at Raheng and are now marching on Moulmein. Witpqs appears to be bugging out of southern Burma.

Luzon

Two divisions and artillery arrived at Clark field. The artillery begins bombarding tomorrow. The Divisions will not participate. My airfield attack are meeting fewer and fewer fighters, though we do not seem to be doing much damage to the airfield. I would like to shift over to Bataan once and a while, but also want to keep him from building forts at Clark Field.

DEI

Another B-17 raid, this time with 19 bombers. They are limited by airfield size, I believe, and are using an extended range load. Oscars met the bombers, but did not accomplish much. They might have thrown off the aim a little as there were fewer oil hits than yesterday. Tomorrow a sentai of Zeros will provide the CAP while the Oscars go back to guarding Miri.

I am currently setting up for the push on Timor. The SNLFs at Tarakan (4) need to be gathered, as well as the ones at Kendari (3) and the 144 Regiment at Ambon. TFs are currently on the way.

Operation Roundhouse, Phase II

Noumea
We are two days from landing at Noumea. Recon by a Glen and by a Dave unit on one of my BBs will be conducted tomorrow.

(If no image here, then see below)

Baker/Canton

We are two days away from Baker. Recon by Glens will be conducted starting tomorrow. The Canton invasion is about 4 days away. The rest of the forces participating in the drive on Pago-Pago are assembling south of Fanafuti to refuel and pause to allow the KB to cover the Baker/Canton action.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/24/2010 4:18:50 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 50
RE: New Years Day - 1/24/2010 4:18:24 AM   
CapAndGown

My other pretty picture went away. So here it is again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 51
RE: New Years Day - 1/24/2010 4:38:15 AM   
CapAndGown

I forgot to mention. The Shoho arrived today. My goodness the pilots are fantastic, better than those on the fleet carriers! Unfortunately, poor planning on my part means there are no escorts currently available, so the Shoho will have to sit there until they arrive.   And I wanted to take it out for a spin and see what it could do!

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 52
RE: New Years Day - 1/24/2010 9:30:20 PM   
Grotius

Sounds like things are going great! So you have a division headed to Noumea, and one headed to Fiji? Where did you send the 4th Div? In particular, I'm curious how many divisions you have in Malaya.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 53
RE: New Years Day - 1/25/2010 2:36:39 AM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Sounds like things are going great! So you have a division headed to Noumea, and one headed to Fiji? Where did you send the 4th Div? In particular, I'm curious how many divisions you have in Malaya.

For Singapore I have tasked the following divisions: 18, 5, 4, 21, Imp Guard, and 38. (The 38th was temporarily diverted to Luzon in order to encourage witpqs to withdraw his forces into the Clark Field redoubt, but is now boarding ships for Malaya).
The Malaya offensive has reached the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur.

For the Burma campaign (for now) I have tasked the following divisions: 33 and 55.
The Burma thrust has just jumped off from Raheng and is marching on Moulmein.

For the Luzon Holding Action, I am using the following divisions: 48 and 16
These divisions are now at Clark Field and the rest of Luzon has been captured. Sallys are running a continuous bombing campaign against Clark Field, with an occasional visit to Bataan.

For the Push on Timor I have dedicated: 41 Regiment, and numerous SNLF units.
This southward thrust has reached Kendari and Ambon. We are assembling forces for the assault on Timor.

For the South Seas Offensive (Roundhouse) I have: 56 div, 2 div, 65 brigade, plus some SNLFs to secure flanking positions such as Shortlands, Tulagi, Luganville, Baker and Canton.

Most IJN surface forces are stationed at either Badeldoab, Menado, or Kendari supporting the push to Timor. In the air, this offensive is being supported by LBA. All CVs are operating in the south pacific in support of the drive on Noumea and Pago-Pago. They are divided into two equally weighted (roughly) TFs, with slightly more weight given to the Somoa thrust.

KB1, which is supporting the eastern thrust on Samoa includes:
3xCV: Kaga, Shokaku, Zuikaku
1xCVL Zuiho
2xBB: Hei, Kirishima
2xCA: Tone, Chikuma
1xCS: Chitose
7xDD

KB2, which is supporting the Noumea offensive includes:
3xCV: Hiruy, Soryu, Akagi
1xCVL: Ryujo
2xBB: Kongo, Haruna
1xCS: Chiyoda
9xDD

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 54
RE: New Years Day - 1/25/2010 5:29:14 AM   
CapAndGown

Jan. 3, 1942

This is a quick update.

Roundhouse, Phase II

Landings commenced at Noumea. Only one regiment (113) of the 56 Div was landed since the opposition is minimal. The 56 recon unit is being land at the hex NW of Noumea to force a surrender of the garrison. The attack will not happen until the 56 recon unit captures its objective.

Baker Island is vacant. Only one SNLF will land there. The other is heading to Canton. Reconning Canton begins tomorrow. We will find out if he brought anything in. I think not since my subs have not detected even a hint of activity there.

DEI
Another B-17 strike against Tarakan launched today. This time they met a buzzsaw opposition of Zeros. 5 B-17s are reported to have been lost A2A.

Economy
My number of "resource days" continues to drop even though I have set up convoys all over the place. I am in a near panic over the resource situation. I am setting up another convoy to strip Hokaido bare. I do seem to be making a dent on the Manchurian resources. I have two large convoys shuttling between Fukoka and Port Arthur (both port size 10) and another convoy going between Fusan (port now 6, expanding to 7) and Shimonoseki. I have one convoy from Ominato to Hokadate. Ominato is almost to size 6, so that convoy can be expanded. Another convoy has just been put in place between Sapporo and Hirosaki (both size 5 right now). I need to put another in place here so that 2 convoys are constantly rotating between the two. I have another convoy between Shikuka and Sapporo right now, but I want to change that by building up the harbor at Wakanai. I would rather dump the resources on Sakhalin onto Hokaido and then have them drained to Honshu via Hokadate and Sapporo. I am also looking at building up some alternate ports on Hokaido and northern Honshu as additional hubs. Tiny convoys have been set up between Amami and Naha and Kagoshima. And there is a convoy between Nagasaki and Taihoku on Formosa.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 55
Landings Everywhere! - 1/26/2010 2:28:57 AM   
CapAndGown

Jan. 4, 1941

This turn featured one invasion after the other in a mind boggling succession of jumps around the map.

Thurday Island was captured. I didn't realize it was an atoll. I had planned to use some bombardment help before launching an attack. Turns out I didn't need it. 4-1 odds against a level 2 fort. Just enough.

Kavieng was invaded. Empty. Will be captured tomorrow.

Shortlands was captured today. An aviation unit is in place and is building a runway.

Tulagi was invaded. Empty. Will be captured tomorrow. A aviation unit will land there tomorrow and start building an airstrip.

La Foa, just north of Noumea was invaded today, will be captured tomorrow.

Coastal Guns at Noumea sank an xAK, but all the troops had already been offloaded. The disruption on the 113 regiment in at 99. I will need to wait a bit before I can launch an attack. I will wait for the recon unit at La Foa to march down to Noumea before launching an attack. The 113 regiment had been aboard xAKs since the first day of the war. I believe they start out at Chi-Chi-Jima already loaded.

Baker Island was captured.

Canton Island was also captured. It was empty. This is worrying. At the start there is a coastal defense unit there. But it was gone when I got there.

I suspect that what this means is that witpqs moved the unit to Pago-Pago. This also indicates that he has probably reinforced that base with other units than just the US Army regiment from San Fran. My guess would be that the Marines are also there. An air icon has shown up on the base as well. Fighters? Dive Bombers? The airfield is only a level two.

This has given me pause. The disruption on the 113 regiment was quite disturbing. However, most of the 2nd division is loaded on xAPs, not xAKs and so its disruption level is not at high, currently in the 30s. The 65th brigade should not be to bad since it had about one day of "shore leave" at Rabaul. The final regiment of the 56 division that was not used for either PM or Noumea is heading over to Pago-Pago. That regiment, however, will no doubt have a very high level of disruption.

Basically, the combined forces available to me for taking Pago-Pago are: 2nd division (AV=~425); 65th Brigade (AV=~220) and a regiment from the 56th division (AV=~120); for a grand total of perhaps 800. Witpqs, may have as much as 300.

Recon of Pago-Pago and Fiji begins tomorrow. I also am going to recon Palmyra as a diversion. We will see what that reveals. KB1 will be in place the day after tomorrow to launch an air raid on the Island. Recon by bomb. KB2 has set sail to join the Pago-Pago forces, but will not be there for four days. The 2nd Division and 65th Brigade could land there in three days if I decide to go ahead. They have been ordered to start steaming south from Fanafuti. The remainder of the 56th Division, which is also sailing in that direction is probably 6 or 7 days away. In addition, the two SNLFs on Canton are reboarding and heading south. Their garrison duties will be taken over by the spare SNLF that was not needed for the Baker invasion.

So here is where I stand. I have a good deal of force available, but it is disrupted from the long sea voyage. The target may be heavily defended. My options, as I see them are a) proceed with the invasion or b) go for Fiji instead while establishing a siege of Pago-Pago by taking the islands around it and stocking them with LBA. Then, once the capture of Fiji is affected, taking those units and landing them on Pago-Pago for the final assault. I had planned on the reverse: take Pago-Pago, then shift those units over to Fiji.

For option A I have quite a bit of force available. KB1 and 2 have lots of sorties left for ground/port/airfield attacks. I have 4 BBs and 4-5 CAs for bombardments, though no place close (right now) to reload. (Newly converted AKEs have just set sail from the HI but are probably 2 weeks away.) So on top of the assault values of the ground units themselves, I have considerable supporting firepower.

For option B, I have an air division trailing behind the invasion force. That air division can be landed at Savii and the airfield expanded to allow torpedo armed Betties to be based there. Zeros and Betties can be there in about a week, probably. In the meantime, KBs 1 & 2 can remain on station for quite a while with the tanker support I have available.

So it comes down the results of the recon. If Pago-Pago has been significantly reinforced (meaning 2 regiments), I may opt for the Fiji/Siege option. If not, I will go ahead and invade. Of course, this assumes that witpqs was limited in just how many reinforcements he could bring down here. I doubt that both Fiji and Pago-Pago could have been significantly reinforced (again, significant here means 2 regiments). Either one or the other, not both.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/26/2010 2:29:52 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 56
Major Reorg - 1/28/2010 4:02:22 AM   
CapAndGown

A few turns have passed since my last update. I will combine them all here.

Jan. 5, 1942

Not too much happened this turn. Kavieng was captured, as was Tulagi.

Jan. 6, 1942

The big news this turn was the "recon bombing" of Pago-Pago.
Afternoon Air attack on Pago Pago , at 148,161
Weather in hex: Light rain
Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 45 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
B5N1 Kate x 12
B5N2 Kate x 81
D3A1 Val x 81

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 1 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged
D3A1 Val: 10 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Steel Navigator, Bomb hits 7, and is sunk
xAK Admiral Y. Williams, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Steel Seafarer, Bomb hits 9, and is sunk
xAK Steel Ranger, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 23
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Also attacking 56th Cst Art Rgt /1 ...
Also attacking 2nd Marine Defense Battalion ...
Also attacking 7th Marine Defense Battalion ...
Also attacking 4th Marine Defense Battalion ...

Although I did not get too much intel on the precise make up of the ground units based at Pago-Pago, the number of units and number of troops located there has firmed up after three days of recon. The reports for the last two turns have indicated 13 units and 14500 troops. This would seem to be about a division equivalent.

On the basis of this intel, I am putting off the invasion of Pago-Pago. Instead, all the forces available are now heading to Fiji. That should be invaded in a few days. Recon so far indicates that Fiji has not been reinforced. Meanwhile, the 38th division that was just starting out for Malaya has been ordered to sail south. By the time it arrives in the south seas theater Fiji should be conquered. This will then give me 2 full divisions, 1 heavy brigade, and 1 regiment with which to assault Pago-Pago.

While the conquest of Fiji proceeds, KBs 1 & 2 will stand guard over Somoa to make sure no additional reinforcements are brought in. We have oilers nearby to keep the CVs topped up. I am also bringing more supplies and fuel down from Truk. AKEs are also on the way. These can be anchored at either Suva or Luganville. Luganville is slated to become a forward fleet base. The TF of BBs now at Truk is also being brought south to Luganville.

Because the 38th division will no longer be part of the Malay campaign, the Manchurian division I was planning on using against Darwin will now go to Malaya instead.

In order to build up my bases in the area faster, I am also taking all of the large engineering units currently on Luzon and getting them ready to send south to the Solomons and New Hebrides.

La Foa north of Noumea was captured this turn. The recon regiment heads south to Noumea.

Kuala Lumpur was captured.

Jan. 7, 1942

Luganville was captured. Efate is next up. Disruption has come down to 29 so a shock attack is ordered at Noumea for tomorrow.

Makassar was invaded. Two invasion fleets have set sail for Timor.

The IJA has almost encircled Loayang. Witpqs appeared to be trying to bug out. But a division arrived today on the road leading to Sian and is now marching towards the city. 2 other divisions have already arrived at Laoyang and two more should arrive tomorrow along with a mass of artillery. This is important that they arrive in time, or we might get kicked out as just happened to our forces at Nanyang. I had just seen Nanyang as a holding action while the main force dealt with Laoyang. But I did not bring enough troops. The Chinese win their first major victory after being kicked around by my troops!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Nanyang (85,45)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 67337 troops, 410 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2207
Defending force 24067 troops, 194 guns, 43 vehicles, Assault Value = 876

Allied adjusted assault: 2149
Japanese adjusted defense: 310

Allied assault odds: 6 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
10445 casualties reported
Squads: 183 destroyed, 245 disabled
Non Combat: 153 destroyed, 217 disabled
Engineers: 13 destroyed, 18 disabled
Guns lost 20 (13 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 14 (5 destroyed, 9 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Allied ground losses:
3138 casualties reported
Squads: 39 destroyed, 221 disabled
Non Combat: 10 destroyed, 94 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
12th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
92nd Chinese Corps
90th Chinese Corps
30th Chinese Corps
55th Chinese Corps
41st Chinese Corps
13th Chinese Corps
29th Chinese Corps
7th New Chinese Corps
4th Construction Regiment
5th War Area
3rd Group Army
2nd Group Army
22nd Group Army
31st Group Army

Defending units:
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
35th Division
14th Ind.Mixed Brigade
12th RGC Temp. Division

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/28/2010 4:46:36 AM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 57
Ouch - 1/28/2010 11:34:45 PM   
CapAndGown

Jan. 8, 1943

The big news this turn is that Kaga ate two fish sent its way from S-34 at a point about 90 miles west of Pago-Pago. Float damage of 38, major 20, plus about 25 sys damage. I had to think long and hard about how to get Kaga out of the area safely. In my first air raid on Pago-Pago I had a report of about 7 single ship TFs. I wondered why my planes didn't strike those ships, and then I realized they must be subs. Perhaps they were in transit between Australia and CONUS, or perhaps they were sent there to await my arrival. It would not surprise me if US intel picked up on our plans to invade Pago-Pago. At any rate, the waters around the island were crawling with subs after my first air raid. So getting Kaga home means not only worrying about how she handles the float damage, but avoiding these damn S-boats.

I concluded that Kaga needed to head directly away from the danger area before swinging around to head, first to Luganville, then Tulagi, then Rabual, then Truk, and then Saipan, and then the HI. If she survives, she is going to be out of the war for a long time.

To help Kaga make good its escape, the rest of KB1 is heading south where I hope it will be detected and draw his subs away from the Kaga group. (Kaga is being escorted by 3 DDs.)

KB1 has thus been seriously weakened and is no longer fit to lay siege to Pago-Pago. So KB1 and KB2 will exchange places after refueling: KB1 will support the invasion of Fiji while KB2 patrols around Pago-Pago.

CVL Shoho has departed the HI for Truk and may be called on to join the other CVs around Fiji/Somoa.

As to Fiji, the last remaining regiment of the 56 division will go ashore tonight at Nadi also with some supporting troops. The 65 brigade and 2 division will arrive in 3 days. There are some aircraft at Suva. Probably the starting bombers, so KB2 will give the airfield there another working over on its way to the replenishment point. (A note on the positioning of my replenishment TF: to avoid subs, I chose a shallow water hex for this TF to hang out.)

Over at the Somoa Islands, two SNLFs landed at Savii today and should capture it tomorrow.

As partial payback, one of our subs in the Society Islands is reported to have put a torp into the CL Detroit. She is reported sunk, though I am not so sure. It was, after all, only one torp.

And at Palmyra a sub entered the harbor and duked it out with an xAKL and sunk it. combined with the reconning, I am hoping this will motivate witpqs to think about reinforcing the line Islands. I want him worried about protecting what he has and not thinking about offensive action since, in truth, my flanks are quite weak. Canton and Baker only have one SNLF each, while Makin and Tarawa are not even garrisoned and the Marshalls are nothing to write home about, since the Claudes there have such short legs. To continue to encourage witpqs to worry about his outlying possessions, I will be reconning Christmas Island tomorrow.

EDIT: I should add that Noumea was captured today.

DEI

Witpqs laid some mines with his subs at Kendari. As a result, when the TFs that were used to invade Makassar returned, I got a report that the Nagato had hit a mine. Upon examination, either the report was wrong, or the damage so minor that I could not tell the difference between it and normal sys damage.

EDIT: forgot to mention Makassar was captured this turn.

Witpqs's subs have been very active in the DEI, but during the last turn the combat replay indicated that two Dutch subs were hit very hard. They are reported sunk, but who knows. Everytime I have hit a sub it has been in shallow water, so I try to set my waypoints to keep to coasts as much as possible.

I also heard another mine go off during the replay. I think it was one of Witpqs subs that shows up in the harbor at Rabaul. No doubt this is part of a mining mission as well. Fortunately, I have AMc's located there for just such a contingency.

Anyway, Lautem and Dili will be invaded tomorrow. LRCAP is being provided by Oscars at Ambon and surface cover is being provided by a 3xBB TF and a 3xCA TF. The 41 regiment just set sail from Ambon and will head to Koepang.

AAA units have arrived at both Tarakan and Miri. Witpqs has switched over to night bombing to avoid my CAP, but has not been scoring any hits. Hopefully, with a heavy AAA presence, I can discourage these night time raids.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cap_and_gown -- 1/28/2010 11:51:58 PM >

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 58
The Fog of War - 1/29/2010 6:47:51 PM   
CapAndGown

Jan. 9, 1942

Kaga managed to avoid meeting any new subs. Float damage came down one point. Still a long way to go just to get to our first stop, Luganville.

In his email, witpqs indicated that a carrier showed up in his sunk ships list. I am not sure that makes a difference, since the Kaga is out of the war for a good long time anyway.

I am now wondering about the number of troops reported on Pago-Pago. The ground attack I flew yesterday revealed the same 4 units as the previous time. The mouse over continues to indicate 13 units and 14000 troops. I would think the number of units would be correct. But I now question the number of troops report. Over at Fiji the number of troops listed is about double the numbers that are there at the start, even though he has not brought in any new troops. Maybe Pago-Pago is not as well defended as I thought?

Doesn't matter for now since we are now committed to the Fiji landing. The 146 regiment/56 division, along with divisional artillery and engineers have finished landing at Nandi. The 65 brigade will also land there tomorrow, while the 2 division is going ashore at Suva. By the time they are done there the 38 division should arrive as well as 3 additional BBs and the CVL Shoho. The BBs should be especially useful in suppressing the coastal guns. Question: would it make sense to put the BBs in the invasion TF, or should they be in their own bombardment TF?

Savii was captured. One of the SNLF units there is reboarding and will head south to the Tonga Islands.

KB2 is moving to replenish and then will take over guard duty at Pago-Pago. KB1 has been ordered to close with the Kaga group to provide air cover.

Efate was invaded today, will be captured tomorrow. Then on to Tanna. I have aviation units for both islands.

Betties were brought down to Noumea. Even though they don't have torps, they can conduct naval search almost all the way to Australia and hopefully deter witpqs from making a move from that direction. At the very least I hope they can give me early warning of anything approaching from the west.

Finschafen was invaded today.

DEI

Lautem and Dili were invaded today. Should be captured tomorrow. Koepang should follow in two days. I am surprised I have not seen any more of witpqs's surface fleet since the big naval battles of the Celebes Sea. I have a 3xBB TF and a CA TF covering these landings just in case the PoW should show up. LRCAP is being provided from Ambon and Kendari. Aviation units are on the way so that the fighters can be stationed on Timor starting next turn (assuming, of course, Lautem and Dili are captured).

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 59
Clearing the North China Plain - 1/30/2010 1:53:22 AM   
CapAndGown

Jan. 10, 1942

Float damage came down some more on Kaga. Still a long way to its first port of call.

Suva was invaded by the 2nd division. Efate was captured. Tanna will follow in a couple of days.

DEI

Lautem and Dili on Timor were both captured today. Koepang will be invaded tomorrow. A 3xBB TF will provide cover. Oscars have rebased to Lautem to provide LRCAP. Zeros at Kendari will also provide LRCAP.

With the capture of Koepang my initial objective in this region has been reached. The islands leading up to Java and over to New Guinea will also need to be taken. I am also considering heading south to Australia to take out several of the small bases there such as Port Hedland, Broome, Wyndham, etc. Darwin, however, is not yet doable with the forces I have on hand. In addition, I would guess that he may be trying to reinforce that base. An assualt on Darwin will have to await the fall of Singapore.

Malaya

Temoloh was captured. Malacca is empty. Troops are heading that way.

China

Operations in North China are nearing a climax. Turns out witpqs is bugging out of Loayang. He pretty much escaped the encirclement. It should be captured tomorrow. All that remains is Nanyang. Once that is secured I will have reached my preferred defensive line in the north and can start sending some troops south where I will initially attempt to secure the coast between Shanghai and Amoy. My defense is premised on keeping out infiltrators and keeping the Chinese from being able to put a unit into a resource center, and thus stopping production.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Operation Roundhouse Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI