Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/3/2010 6:05:11 AM   
larryfulkerson

Turn 1 took me about 24 hours to produce. Good thing Dave ( Da_Huge_D ) is patient. I got about 6 rounds and the last round I entrenched everybody. My losses were higher than I thought they would be but that may be because I'm in a hurry to get to the east and didn't take care to concentrate on building flanking attacks and pre-attack bombardments and the like. The air war went well and I won't have to worry about the Soviet air force for a few turns. I haven't decided on a strategy yet...Dave and I just started this bad boy yesterday and I haven't done a map study or anything like that yet. Mostly I'm just pushing units outward from their start positions. After playtesting D21 for so long playing FITE again seems like coming home. Okay, I admit it, FITE is my favorite scenario even though it takes months to complete and there are an unweildy number of units to push around. It has to be that big though since it models the worlds largest battle and pits the best army in the world against the biggest army in the world. Dave tells me he can produce about 7 turns per week. I'm not sure I can keep up with his pace but we'll see. Overall, I think this turn went well. You can find my turn 1 AAR at this url:

http://www.filedropper.com/dahdturn1

EDIT:
Hey you guys....I've grouped the first 20 AARs into a document that can give you instant access to any one of the first twenty turn AARs. You no longer have to search through page after page of forum posts to find the link and download each one separately. This 1 through 20 AAR group document is about 185 Meg bytes big and can be downloaded from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zujj2uonmzj

So um......I put together the next collection of AARs for this game. The collection holds AARs for turns 21 throu 30 and you can find it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4djdwyznvzm

I've put the next collection of AARs together. It's turns 31 throu 40 and you can find it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2a5qmm3modk/fite game AARs turns 31 throu 40.zip

I've put together the next collection of AAR's. This is turns 41 throu 50 and you can find it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bdwajtdkjoy/table of contents turns 41 throu 50.zip

I've put together the next collection of AAR's. This is turns 51 throu 60 and you can find it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/iedzjofjwxn/table of contents turns 51 throu 60.zip

I've put together the next collection of AAR's. This is turns 61 throu 70 and you can find it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zam2itdzmzz/table of contents turns 61 throu 70.zip

I've put together the next collection of turns AAR's. This one is 71 through 80 and you can find it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/tftzyoux0jr/table of contents turns 71 throu 80.zip

I've put together the next collection of turns AAR's. This one is 81 through 100 and you can find it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ehyy2oznrwt/table of contents turns 81 through 100.zip

Here's the front lines so far:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/11/2011 6:07:02 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/3/2010 7:36:41 AM   
sPzAbt653

FitE ! FitE ! FitE !

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
First Soviets' lines - 1/3/2010 2:45:53 PM   
Da_Huge_D

Okay, picture from end of turn 1 savefile. So here is my first plan about making first lines. Line starts from south, along river-Dnestr, after that will be Stalin line @ south - going north-east, Gomel, Mogilev, Vitebsk. Then turning back to west, all way along Dvina-river into Riga.
Northern part of line will be very thin, because lack of armies there. And i don't think that it cant hold Germans long (3 turns would be realistic estimate).
Stalin line is strongest part of line, plenty Mech corps & Armies around there...

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/3/2010 3:39:50 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/4/2010 10:20:02 AM   
Da_Huge_D

Okay. 2nd turn done,, I post now Larry's pictures too.
From that link you can see Larry's pics & info:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/94ftr5

Anyway, here's shot from South. As you can see, my Stalin line is forming nicely. However, there is weak sectors; in north & South.

Edit: Better pic.

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/4/2010 1:02:25 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/4/2010 6:44:20 PM   
mike1984

That Stalin Line will evaporate faster than a drop of water on hot blacktop.

< Message edited by mike1984 -- 1/4/2010 6:45:04 PM >

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 5
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/4/2010 7:00:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike1984

Thanks a lot Mike....now I have to make it happen that way so your statement comes true. No pressure....

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 6
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/4/2010 9:29:57 PM   
Andriko

I thik I disagree with Mike. All the AARs of the East front I have seen, most Soviet players just retreat for ever, and by the time they pick some where to stand and defend, Germany has so much momentum they are in Moscow by Christmas 41.Even if his line does break, it will have slowed Germany down quite a bit.

Post #: 7
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/4/2010 11:26:33 PM   
larryfulkerson

I have finished my part of turn 3 ( the Axis side ) and I'm pushing some troops across the river near Riga, have bumped into the Stalin Line and have the surburbs of Minsk in my binoculars. The AAR for the Axis side of the conflict can be found at this url: http://www.filedropper.com/dahdturn3

Here's the Axis losses chart so far:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Andriko)
Post #: 8
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/5/2010 8:27:54 AM   
Da_Huge_D

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike1984

Stalin-line's purpose isnt to stop Axis. Its just pre-line and will slow down advancing.

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/5/2010 8:28:06 AM >

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 9
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/5/2010 9:00:02 AM   
Da_Huge_D

Time for some updating;
Fulkerson is very fast, he is now crossed even River Dvina, and Riga will be encircled next turn. I have organised armies, and now they are mostly regrouped (armies @ start where suffled all over the map).

Some shots from South:

At this picture you can see my first plan @south:

New Main-line is contructing:

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/5/2010 9:04:38 AM >

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 10
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/5/2010 9:00:46 AM   
Da_Huge_D

Here's shot from front of Odessa:

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 11
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/5/2010 9:40:57 AM   
fogger

Are you playing with Buzz's mod7?

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 12
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/5/2010 9:44:52 AM   
Da_Huge_D

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

Are you playing with Buzz's mod7?

Nope.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 13
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/5/2010 10:24:07 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a HUGE file that shows the front lines before anything moves in Axis turn 4:

http://www.filedropper.com/turn4pre-movementmoves

EDIT: Oh....did I happen to mention that a house rule that Dave and I are observing is there is to be no disbanding of units at all during the game. Dave suggested it and I agreed so.....

EDIT: the link no longer works so you can try it if you want but nothing good will happen.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/13/2010 1:53:11 AM >

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 14
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/5/2010 10:32:11 AM   
Da_Huge_D

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Here's a HUGE file that shows the front lines before anything moves in Axis turn 4:

http://www.filedropper.com/turn4pre-movementmoves

EDIT: Oh....did I happen to mention that a house rule that Dave and I are observing is there is to be no disbanding of units at all during the game. Dave suggested it and I agreed so.....

Yeah. + all the house rules on scenario briefing; Finns cant cross old borders before Leningrad falls etc etc.

Post #: 15
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/5/2010 10:52:08 AM   
larryfulkerson

I had to try two HQ units and three engineers before I could find somebody who could repair a bridge:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 16
RE: FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson - 1/5/2010 12:04:56 PM   
Da_Huge_D

Soviet losses after turn 3:

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/5/2010 12:08:22 PM >

Post #: 17
FITE turn 4 - 1/6/2010 4:51:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

Well, the Axis turn 4 is done.  I'm surrounding Minsk, I bumped into the Stalin Line, dropped some paratroops NE of Riga, have moved closer to Smolensk, etc.  Turn 4's AAR can be found here:  http://www.filedropper.com/dahdturn4

This turn's AAR is about 10M big because of the area taken up by the front lines in motion movie.  I've covered everything from Riga to Odessa and it's awesome.

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 18
RE: FITE turn 4 - 1/6/2010 7:27:17 PM   
Da_Huge_D

Well well. 4th turn just done. There are four pockets now made by Larry. They're all small, good thing. But Riga's pre-line ruined before it was even ready. lol. Larry's didnt started attack for Stalin line this turn yet, but germans are now @ positions within 2 hexes, and next turn Larry's panzer spears will collapse whole line with one lil punch i fear...

Anyway, here's overall picture after turn 4:

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/6/2010 7:45:59 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/6/2010 9:36:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a picture of the front lines as of the beginning of Axis turn 5:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 20
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/7/2010 5:46:47 PM   
Da_Huge_D

So 5th turn its done now. Jekapills has fallen. Riga & Minsk fall next turn i think as well as Dugapills. Larry did some attacks against Stalin-line, and crossed Dnepr @ Bessarabia.
Also, i retreated from front of Odessa into the city of Odessa, because Southern front is in danger of being encircled.

Here's how contruction of lines in centre look like:

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/7/2010 5:55:06 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/7/2010 6:48:31 PM   
larryfulkerson

Yep,like Dave says, turn 5 is finished and I'm finallyl through building the AAR for it, which you can find here:  http://www.filedropper.com/dahdturn5

I had Minsk in my grasp and got an early turn ending and couldn't make that one last attack which would have given it to me.  D'oh.  But I did make a clear path across the river at Daugavpils and my supply can go further NE now.  Also, I made a hole in the Stalin Line but Dave will probably plug it again.  He's got a really good defensive line there and my attacks just bounced off his dudes.

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 22
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/8/2010 1:14:35 AM   
Panama

Hitler should have thought of using recce and MP units for spearheads. Probably would have won the war.

Post #: 23
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/8/2010 2:41:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama
Hitler should have thought of using recce and MP units for spearheads. Probably would have won the war.

Holy moley....somebody is reading this thing. Um...yes, they are quite handy that way. Also, they convert enemy hexes to friendly hexes and don't forget the dropping of paratroops ahead of the advance to convert the path to friendly. That makes the movement point cost about 1/2 what it would have cost. And during the early Soviet turns the Soviet dude is running to the east as fast as his little digital feet can go so there's very little chance of a hostile encounter. It does happen though, depends on the opponent you're playing. In the event of a hostile encounter it just slows down the fresh meat so you can sometimes catch up to it and destroy it. I have found very little use for the paratroops during the later turns however because the Soviet player delights in rounding up those puppies and killing them. Mostly during the later turns I post the paratroopers behind my lines ready to fly to the nearest partisan event to block it's path so regular units can rail to the spot and kill the partisan at their leisure. The reconnisance value of the paratrooper unit is so high that most of the time losses are low and the unit survives any partisan attacks. Most of the time. Of course, your mileage may vary.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 24
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/8/2010 3:59:18 AM   
Panama

Larry, do all those blown up bridges make much of a difference to the German player?

BTW, any AAR you are involved in seems to be impeccable.

< Message edited by Panama -- 1/8/2010 4:00:31 AM >

Post #: 25
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/8/2010 4:24:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Larry, do all those blown up bridges make much of a difference to the German player?

Um.......I have so many engineers that they are coming out of my ears. So even though it takes two or three sometimes to repair a bridge I haven't been inconvienced by too many blown bridges so far. One or two I have crossed while broken. The rest I was able to repair without too much trouble. So I guess the answer is no.

quote:

BTW, any AAR you are involved in seems to be impeccable.

I donno, they seemed pecable to me. I like pictures, large, big, huge pictures. Especially those in motion. Too bad we can't post such pictures on the forum or I'd go wild with pictures of every aspect of the game. Sort of like one of my AAR's. Hey, that brings up another point.....are you seeing the kinds of details you want to see? I'm gonna start labeling the units so you'll know which one is which like Dave does. He's a good guy that Dave. I like his pictures too. Especially the arrows. I gotta get me a paint program. I've been playing with Gimp....maybe I'll get good with it and quit using MSpaint for good. Besides, Gimp is free and there's a book on it that I bought. I'm gonna get around to reading it any day now. Too busy playing TOAW. I get an email from each of the dudes I'm playing ( Patrick, August Fog and Dave, FITE ) every day and I usually whip out the AF one first 'cause it only takes 1/2 hour or so. But the FITE one is an all day affair. There's almost 1,000 units to push around and I want to think about what I'm doing before I do it 'cause I make so many STUPID mistakes if I don't. Usually the first thing I think of for that unit is what I end up doing with it but it never hurts to think about it first. After you play TOAW for a while you get a 'feel' for the battlefield that guides your actions. You can gauge how long it might take you to get 'this' division from where it is to over there and about how much force it might take to destroy that Soviet cavalry division, etc. I've never won a FITE game so I really need the practice.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 26
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/8/2010 8:42:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the minimovie from turns 1 throu 5. I've been meaning to post this before but finally got around to it just now. You can just barely discern that I arrived at Riga in turn 3 and bumped into the Stalin Line in turn 5. That huge clump in the middle is my Minsk attacking group. Those blue dots that just appear to the NE of Riga are my paratroops spreading out along the roads converting hexes to friendly to reduce the movement point cost of the advancing hordes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/8/2010 8:43:14 AM >

Post #: 27
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/8/2010 3:23:00 PM   
Josh

"...But the FITE one is an all day affair. There's almost 1,000 units to push around..."

You are a brave man mr. Fulkerson.

And yes your AAR's are a pleasure to read.

Post #: 28
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/8/2010 4:35:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

Well thanks muchly.  

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 29
RE: FITE turn 5 - 1/9/2010 3:44:49 AM   
larryfulkerson

Well, Axis turn 6 is done.  I captured Riga, Minsk, and Odessa.  Just kidding about Odessa.  I crossed the river behind the Stalin Line and I'm in the process of enveloping it.  Dave has built a very formidable defensive line there at the Stalin Line and it's a bear to just attack head on.  I need to get some units behind them to get flank attacks going to really make any headway.  The AAR for turn 6 can be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/dahdturn6

EDIT: Fixed the link so it works now.

EDIT: FileDropper dropped the file. The link no longer works. Sorry about that.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/13/2010 1:56:49 AM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> FITE Da_Huge_D vs Fulkerson Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI