Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allies Western Front 1944 - Replacement Rate

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Allies Western Front 1944 - Replacement Rate Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allies Western Front 1944 - Replacement Rate - 1/5/2010 10:11:38 PM   
Abnormalmind

Hi,

I've started to develop a matrix of annual production values for various equipment on the western front to provide feedback for a scenario. I'm sure I'm not the first to attempt this, and was curious if any of the previous research is available?

For instance, 611 M10's were produced in 42, and 4,382 M10's were produced in 43. Additionally, 28 M10A1's were produced in 42 and 1,685 M10A1's in 43. The total production of M10s were approximately (611 + 4,382 + 28 + 1,685) 6,706. (I'm uncertain if any were used in the Pacific, North Africa, or in the lend lease program, so I assume that 100% of the production was used in Western Europe in 44).

What I am trying to determine is an accurate replacement rate for the M10's in 1944. First I need to know the approximate number of M10s being used, and then I could subtract the current usage from total production to arrive at a replacement value. Which then can be divided up in the scenario at a ratio to simulate replacements flowing from the force pool to the front line.

I'm sure some grognard has tackled this issue, so if anyone know of a quick resource, please let me know!

Thanks,
-Patrick
Post #: 1
RE: Allies Western Front 1944 - Replacement Rate - 1/5/2010 10:24:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a resource that you may not have looked into yet.  It feels dusty though.....like nobody has been there in years.

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/phpBB2/

(in reply to Abnormalmind)
Post #: 2
RE: Allies Western Front 1944 - Replacement Rate - 1/5/2010 10:56:46 PM   
ColinWright

I've been through this before with Jerry McDonald's Fall Grau. He came up with some incredible replacement rates based on actual production.

The relationship between production and arms actually present in battle is a long and tortuous one. You can't assume anything like a 1:1 relationship, and many, many other factors intervene.

The following come to mind, but the list is hardly intended to be inclusive.

1. How many of the weapons are in transit at any given time? How long does it take the average M-10 to get from the factory gate to the end user? Maybe there're lotsa M-10's piling up in New Jersey -- but only ten are being shipped overseas per week.

2. What's the breakdown rate like? What is the repair capacity? Does ten units produced translate into ten units in service, or three waiting for repairs, four being repaired, and three in service?

3. How many are diverted to training units?

4. Do the weapons turn out to require further modifications/additional equipment before they can be put into service? This happens a lot. Fighters arrive without gun sights, rubber treads need to be replaced with steel ones before the tanks can be used in desert, etc.

5. Are the munitions on hand to allow the units to be used as designed? Maybe the real limitation for the PX-4 isn't the production of PX-4's, but how much tungsten-core 37 mm AP shell is available.

6. Are trained crews on hand? You can't fly Spitfires without Spitfire pilots.

7. What kind of reserves are maintained? Production could be very low -- but there could be ample reserves. Of course, how quickly can they be delivered...

I'd tend to advocate finding out how many weapons were actually in service in the units over time. How they got there, and how many were originally produced is secondary. You can find strength returns in unit diaries and stuff. Does the unit usually have a full quota of whatever, or are there frequently deficits? If the former, then the replacement rate obviously exceeds whatever the normal loss rate is. If the latter, then the weapons aren't getting to the troops in sufficient quantity -- for whatever reason.

The resulting rate will be a guess -- but looking at the production rate probably won't help. It isn't really a direct factor. That is to say, it could be high, or it could be low -- that isn't necessarily what would determine your replacement rate. After all, the Germans produced 17,000 or something Bf-109's in 1944 -- your 'War in Europe' scenario isn't going to be better for it if you give the Germans 333 Bf-109's per week in replacements.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/5/2010 11:01:13 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Allies Western Front 1944 - Replacement Rate - 1/6/2010 12:39:44 AM   
Abnormalmind

Larry, thanks for the link!

ColinWright, you make a lot of valid points and as I thought, establishing a replacement rate in a scenario is going to require a heck of a lot of research almost on a unit by unit basis. The matrix being generated assumes that various equipment and manpower losses are returned, albeit at a small ratio, to the replacement pool. So when 50 M4A3's are KO'ed, abandoned, etc..., TOAW does some sort of calculation and gives a few of the Shermans back as replacements.

I am considering total production as a means to gauge the ceiling without delving into the distribution system. It's crude, but at least somewhat accurate. Total produced (over a certain time period) - assigned = a very rough replacement aggregate. The issues brought up in the post are all quite good, and oh how I love the variables.

(in reply to Abnormalmind)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Allies Western Front 1944 - Replacement Rate Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI