Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/11/2010 10:40:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

My daughter and her high schools friends met this Belgian chap who claims he was in the Belgian "Special Forces" for 5 yrs but they told to take 6 mos off paid leave and travel in the US so he "wouldnt go crazy" after being in the Belgian Army for so long.

Sounds to me like the crazy part already set in.

Is the story even remotely plausible? Anybody know?

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 361
RE: From No. 23497/2J - 3/11/2010 10:41:04 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Carried by swallows.

African swallows or New Zealand swallows?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 362
RE: On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/11/2010 10:42:27 PM   
sprior

Right. It's called a "pick up line". "I'm special forces, want to see with my weapon?"

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 363
RE: On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/11/2010 10:45:46 PM   
sprior

There's not much of the middle A in this AAR is there? Not much R either come to think of it It's possibly the worst one ever. Maybe it should just be called "The Occasionally Relevant Musings of Two Blokes Playing A Game". or TORMOTBPAG.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 364
RE: On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/11/2010 11:01:38 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

There's not much of the middle A in this AAR is there? Not much R either come to think of it It's possibly the worst one ever. Maybe it should just be called "The Occasionally Relevant Musings of Two Blokes Playing A Game". or TORMOTBPAG.

Merely calculated insouciance so the Japs will let their guard down. And quite a return on investment so far. Just look at all the 250 kg bombs we made them use up off Sydney.

PS ...I think you need an acronym for your acronym.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 365
RE: On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/11/2010 11:02:10 PM   
Chickenboy

We've come to expect no less from any AAR initiated by the Cap'n, Sprior. Only occasional musings, that is.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 366
Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/11/2010 11:03:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

OK...what do I do with air units slated for withdrawal but they "withdraw" option is greyed out?

Post #: 367
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/11/2010 11:04:46 PM   
sprior

Send them somewhere they can be withdrawn from?

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 368
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/11/2010 11:05:14 PM   
Chickenboy

Strip out the good pilots. When filled with 11 EXP rookies, you may then 'disband' the unit. Known issue-it has the same effect of withdrawing the unit.

Post #: 369
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/11/2010 11:06:39 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

OK...what do I do with air units slated for withdrawal but they "withdraw" option is greyed out?

You can only disband the buggers. Transferring them wont help.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 370
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/11/2010 11:10:13 PM   
sprior

Thanks guys. Now we know.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 371
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/12/2010 7:45:48 AM   
Dixie

quote:

Thanks guys. Now we know.

And knowing is half the battle.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 372
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/12/2010 10:10:30 AM   
sprior

But the other half is CVs, BBs, tanks, planes, pilots, troops, artillery, supplies, bases, etc etc. So we got 1/2 a battle then. Shame Johny Jap has the whole battle.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 373
RE: On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/12/2010 12:05:36 PM   
sprior

quote:

Just look at all the 250 kg bombs we made them use up off Sydney.

I think they used them ON Sydney.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 374
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/12/2010 12:18:26 PM   
Dixie

quote:

But the other half is CVs, BBs, tanks, planes, pilots, troops, artillery, supplies, bases, etc etc. So we got 1/2 a battle then. Shame Johny Jap has the whole battle.

But they don't have pluck and determination Or a British stiff upper lip.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 375
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/12/2010 8:03:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Strip out the good pilots. When filled with 11 EXP rookies, you may then 'disband' the unit. Known issue-it has the same effect of withdrawing the unit.

I likely the idea of stripping pilots...administratively, I mean. How do I get the experienced ones back into the pool? Do I put them in squadron reserve then ask for them from another squadron?

We need to get more compulsive about this. We are down to zero points for the remainder of January.

Also, does it do any good to change an unusable P-38 squadron to P-39's? Will I at least get access to part of the P-38's that are "freed up"?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/12/2010 8:07:01 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 376
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/12/2010 8:09:03 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

I likely the idea of stripping pilots...administratively, I mean. How do I get the experience ones back into the pool? Do I put them in squadron reserve then ask for them from another squadron?

Request veterans (little doohickey to the right of the request pilot thingie) and pick your vet. Leave 81+ vets in the pool to help train the dummies. In fact, you should send your 81+ pilots from active duty to TRACCOM. You have several squads in the west coast that have early withdrawal dates (june 42 etc) and some worthless wapitis in India. Put as many green pilots as you can in these and start training. When the withdrawal date gets close either disband to the pool (if the squad is not returning) or withdraw and the squad will come back trained. Slicker than snake snot!

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 377
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/12/2010 8:18:10 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I likely the idea of stripping pilots...

Whoa....Whoa......WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 378
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/12/2010 8:27:41 PM   
witpqs

When you consider a pilot fully trained, send him to General Reserve. When you are looking at another squadron later on and you want a good pilot, make sure you have the source set to "Reserve" (not "Any", nor "Pool" or whatever it says), then click Get Pilot. There are other ways to ask for good pilots, but if you have been training pilots and putting them into General Reserve this is the easiest way.

Notes:

Left-click on an Active pilot to assign him to Group Reserve.

Left-click on a pilot in Group Reserve to assign him to General Reserve.

Right-click on a pilot in Group Reserve to make him Active in the group.

Warning: Right-click on an Active pilot to Rotate him home for 180 days. Don't do it!

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 379
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/12/2010 8:31:09 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

I likely the idea of stripping pilots...administratively, I mean. How do I get the experience ones back into the pool? Do I put them in squadron reserve then ask for them from another squadron?

Request veterans (little doohickey to the right of the request pilot thingie) and pick your vet. Leave 81+ vets in the pool to help train the dummies. In fact, you should send your 81+ pilots from active duty to TRACCOM. You have several squads in the west coast that have early withdrawal dates (june 42 etc) and some worthless wapitis in India. Put as many green pilots as you can in these and start training. When the withdrawal date gets close either disband to the pool (if the squad is not returning) or withdraw and the squad will come back trained. Slicker than snake snot!

Right..I can see how you can purposely select "retards" for a doomed squadron, but how do you send back the good ones?

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 380
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/12/2010 10:15:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******P-38 Maint. hanger, March Field, USAAF, Riverside, California, January 19, 1942*******

Lockheed Instructor: ....your P-38 turbocharger intercooler is housed in the leading wing edge.....here <points to large diagram>. The turbocharger boosts engine performance even at high altitudes, which is a feature lacking in many other contemporary aircraft...

Trainee Pilot: Oh...oh...oh...oh!

Lockheed Instructor: Yes, what is it Lt. Little?

Trainee Pilot: Ummm...yeah. It's that Small guy, Lt. Small over here. He is picking his nose and eating it.

Lockheed Instructor: Madre de dios!

Post #: 381
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/13/2010 1:05:24 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

Right..I can see how you can purposely select "retards" for a doomed squadron, but how do you send back the good ones?

When you're ready to refill with lesser "retards" (i.e., more qualified pilots), there's a few ways you can do it.

The easiest way:

1. Find the squadron page that you wish to populate with decent pilots.
2. Toggle their pilot pool draw to 'reserve'. Select 'manual' from the top of the page too.
3. Click 'get pilot'. The computer will automatically select a pilot from your [blank] reserve that best suits your needs. It will generally do a decent job of selecting fighter pilots of good air combat skill to fill your ranks, for example. Of course, this assumes that you've properly populated your reserve pools.
(see numbers 4 and beyond below)

The harder way (but, with more personalized control):

1. See #1 above.
2. Toggle the pilot pool draw to 'any'. Select 'manual' from the top of the page too.
3. Click 'select veteran'. You will be brought to a page with a large roster of pilots with different sortable skills (e.g., air, naval torpedo, ground bombing, etc.). Select an individual pilot that exists (note: some of these pilots have not yet arrived. Don't ask-it's a long story. For best results, don't pick those yet unborn) that suits your particular fancy and skill set.
4. Return to your pilot page and check out your haul. 8/15 (don't ask) chance that your pilot won't be there just yet-check back in a week. Otherwise, they'll have a listed delay between 1-7 (days), as they are in transit for the duration.
5. [a week goes by] Check the squadron page again. Pilots that have arrived but have not yet been activated can be discerned by the number of pilots on the squadron page. For example, 15(1) means 15 active pilots, one inactive pilot. Go to the pilot page and right click on the pilot (grayed out) with the delay of one. This will return him to active duty. Your pilot number should now be 16(0).
6. Lather, rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps.

Post #: 382
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/13/2010 1:24:38 AM   
witpqs

And if you think that's crazy, just remember what crazy really is. Crazy is walking down the street with half a cantalope on your head, saying "I'm a hamster. I'm a hamster." That's crazy.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 383
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/13/2010 3:27:29 AM   
Chickenboy

That is crazy. A half a cantaloupe wouldn't stay on my head if I was walking down the street. I'd need a whole one with a fenestration cut out for my head. 'Round here, we say 'potato' as we walk down the street with our underwear on our head. I guess you Argletonians favor hamsters-to each their own, neh?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 384
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/13/2010 3:36:31 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

That is crazy. A half a cantaloupe wouldn't stay on my head if I was walking down the street. I'd need a whole one with a fenestration cut out for my head. 'Round here, we say 'potato' as we walk down the street with our underwear on our head. I guess you Argletonians favor hamsters-to each their own, neh?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/6474746/Mystery-of-Argleton-the-Google-town-that-only-exists-online.html

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 385
RE: Penalty for early (or late) withdrawal - 3/13/2010 5:28:34 AM   
Mynok

Insanity reigns here. Just sayin.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 386
RE: On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/13/2010 7:31:16 AM   
T Rav

Hey Cap,

I'm not SF.

However, I was in the military for a long time and met and worked with several US and one or two non-US SF guys.

I've never met one SF guy that actually said he was an SF guy in conversation. You knew from the patches on the uniform, haircut (or lack thereof) out of uniform, and the general sense that you would probably lose in any altercation.

I don't know your Belgian guy, but it sounds like a line.

Best Regards,
T Rav

Post #: 387
RE: On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/13/2010 2:07:10 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: T Rav

Hey Cap,

I'm not SF.

However, I was in the military for a long time and met and worked with several US and one or two non-US SF guys.

I've never met one SF guy that actually said he was an SF guy in conversation. You knew from the patches on the uniform, haircut (or lack thereof) out of uniform, and the general sense that you would probably lose in any altercation.

I don't know your Belgian guy, but it sounds like a line.

Best Regards,
T Rav

So if SF guys never mention they're SF guys and that none SF guys frequently claim to be one, does the fact that you say you're not a SF guy mean you're actually not not a SF guy?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 388
RE: On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/13/2010 2:56:32 PM   
T Rav

Too many double-negatives for me to keep up with. Nope, I'm just a regular guy.

Ciao,
T Rav

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 389
RE: On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" - 3/13/2010 2:57:32 PM   
Smeulders

Don't ever trust a Belgian, not even if he's telling you not to trust Belgians !

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> On leave from the Belgian "Special Forces" Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI