Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Robusto Havana

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Robusto Havana Page: <<   < prev  304 305 [306] 307 308   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/19/2012 2:48:18 PM   
Argos

"You know black and white would just capture the moment so nicely"

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 9151
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/20/2012 7:51:43 PM   
Chickenboy

Cap'n 'n Spry:

Bump from page 2 purgatory.

I can't believe I'm actually going to ask you both a question about your game. I apologize in advance to your readers for this departure from the inanity.

Anyways, I was wondering if you could comment on the comparatively early air superiority you've seemingly achieved. I'm puzzled because your opponents 1. Aren't noobs and 2. Are playing scenario 2, a very benevolent setup to the Japanese. Yet, for the past several months A2A losses are smartly in your favor and I am seeing a plethora of antiquated airframes (A6M2s? Limited N1K1-J involvement? Few Ki-61a, etc.), few upgraded aircraft and surprisingly small numbers of fighters resisting your air war.

What's going on with your Jap opponents? Surely, they can field a better team than they're doing? Are they 'playing' you and allowing you greater gain than you should? It's like it's quiet...almost too quiet.

Your thoughts?

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 9152
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/20/2012 8:18:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

This is something I have wondered about as well.

There are perhaps several factors

1) Our massive, throbbing cerebra

2) Problems with the home front in the Japans. Maybe they are making Honda lawnmower engines instead of aircraft engines.

3) Coordination issues between LYB commands

4) Very heavy ground losses of LYB airframes. I realize this doesnt usually affects pilots.

5) Very aggressive use of Allied heavy bombers with concentration of forces (Oz for eg.)

6) I believe the LYB's are using LRCAP very aggressively, resulting in fatigue losses to pilots.

7) effective use of Allied air HQ's

8) Getting there firstest with the mostest

9) Two gigantic, protracted, Stalingrad-like battles (New Scotland and Port Hedrand) with heavy air losses on both sides. This may have dented LYB pilot pools more than Allied, even in scenario 2?

10) Failure of Japan to buy appropriate air raid warning riders on intelligence contracts.

11) Underutilization of the Grand Wizard of the KKK as a valuable air defense consultant.

12) Luck

13) Inadequate dietary fiber causing hemorrhoids among LYB commanders.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9153
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/20/2012 8:22:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

BTW...it's official. No Halloween party at PG's house this year.

The good news is I won't have to chase SG around to keep the Jello shooters under 15

Last year PG had her Mayan hand out the Jello shooters. She did not approve. Every time a woman guest would take a shooter she would moan, "Ay senora!"

I don't know if she thought it was a waste of good tequila (it was) or if she thought there was sexual innuendo in the way the gals were sucking them down (I am pretty sure there was) or if she was worried she would have to clean up blue Jello barf (she didn't as far as I know).

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/20/2012 8:49:41 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 9154
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 12:25:07 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

2) Problems with the home front in the Japans. Maybe they are making Honda lawnmower engines instead of aircraft engines.

4) Very heavy ground losses of LYB airframes. I realize this doesnt usually affects pilots.

5) Very aggressive use of Allied heavy bombers with concentration of forces (Oz for eg.)

6) I believe the LYB's are using LRCAP very aggressively, resulting in fatigue losses to pilots.

9) Two gigantic, protracted, Stalingrad-like battles (New Scotland and Port Hedrand) with heavy air losses on both sides. This may have dented LYB pilot pools more than Allied, even in scenario 2?

10) Failure of Japan to buy appropriate air raid warning riders on intelligence contracts.

11) Underutilization of the Grand Wizard of the KKK as a valuable air defense consultant.

12) Luck

Completely forgot about the Grand Wizard! Perhaps you should counter with a contract for Harry Potter's services ... tell him to bring Emma Watson for, um, research purposes.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 9155
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 1:02:24 AM   
moore4807

quote:

BTW...it's official. No Halloween party at PG's house this year.

The good news is I won't have to chase SG around to keep the Jello shooters under 15

Last year PG had her Mayan hand out the Jello shooters. She did not approve. Every time a woman guest would take a shooter she would moan, "Ay senora!"

I don't know if she thought it was a waste of good tequila (it was) or if she thought there was sexual innuendo in the way the gals were sucking them down (I am pretty sure there was) or if she was worried she would have to clean up blue Jello barf (she didn't as far as I know).

ahhh, I get it! The country song references!!!
"Tequila makes her clothes fall off" "The more I drink the better you look", but I have'nt a clue about the Blue Jello barf though, must be some obscure label...

Post #: 9156
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 4:23:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Um...what's next on your list of differentials, Cap'n?

quote:

I must confess that I've never thought of the advantages of having a 1200HP Nakajima Ha-35 lawnmower engine. That would be...cool.

quote:

Have you seen any other manifestations of poor coordination between IJA and IJN activities (beyond aircraft)?

quote:

While his ground losses have been brutal, they've been on largely antiquated to older modeled aircraft. By February, 1943(c) in scenario 2, he should be approaching Tojo IIc, Ki-61d, N1K1-J, A6M5, D4Y1/2 and B6N1 deployment. Have you seen these aircraft anywhere, let alone destroyed on the tarmac?

I'm thinking that there must be some issues with your opponent's R/D or home industries.

quote:

Yes, he got pasted on the ground in Australia, but I see that as more of a manpower / LCU loss than a permanent setback in the air.

quote:

OK. That could certainly have an effect.

quote:

Como?

quote:

Ayup.

quote:

What are your monthly replacement rates at this time? IIRC, IJNAF and IJAAF replacements in scenario 2 are on the order of 940 apiece *starting at the onset of the war*. Lots higher than scenario 1. Were your massive battles ever attritting IJNAF and IJAAF at the rate of ~1900 pilots per month?

ETA: These figures are quarterly replacement numbers, so please amend my previous comments by a factor of three. IJAAF and IJNAF pilot losses need to be on the order of 633. Have you been consistently getting that?

quote:

Surely they have someone that can provide them with such? I'm surprised that M&M hasn't had some competition on the secondary market for directly competing services. The Dutch are an industrious sort, why isn't there some direct competition for the Red White and Blue?

quote:

12) Luck

By Odin, you're on to something here!

quote:

At least pronounciation shouldn't be a problem. Not like Shigerrosis.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 9/21/2012 4:27:10 PM >

Post #: 9157
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 4:46:07 PM   
MateDow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Surely they have someone that can provide them with such? I'm surprised that M&M hasn't had some competition on the secondary market for directly competing services. The Dutch are an industrious sort, why isn't there some direct competition for the Red White and Blue?

Yes but that would just cause confusion. Two countries with red, white and blue??!?

There should be an alternative that wouldn't be as confusing.

Canadians - Red and white
Germans - Red, white and black
Russians - Just plain Red

Hmm, even there, there aren't a lot of differences.

Maybe the Swedes can start an Ikea franchise early and add radar to build-it-yourself furniture?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9158
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 5:46:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***************IJA Fierd Hospitah, Port Hedrand, Feb. 5, 1943(c)**************

Ordery: Thata sevety six with dysentery, Major. Whata happen?

Chief Surgeon: Nota sure. Prorry Shigerrosis, Samonerra, Campyrobacter or E. cori.

Ordery: "E. cori"?

Chief Surgeon: No, nota "E. cori", I say "E. cori". Bettah check fish head soup.

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 9159
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 6:07:09 PM   
Walloc

quote:

[I must confess that I've never thought of the advantages of having a 1200HP Nakajima Ha-35 lawnmower engine. That would be...cool.

Well some one beat u too it, well almost...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suid63Hsdxg&feature=related

Rasmus

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9160
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 7:14:52 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

***************IJA Fierd Hospitah, Port Hedrand, Feb. 5, 1943(c)**************

Ordery: Thata sevety six with dysentery, Major. Whata happen?

Chief Surgeon: Nota sure. Prorry Shigerrosis, Samonerra, Campyrobacter or E. cori.

Ordery: "E. cori"?

Chief Surgeon: No, nota "E. cori", I say "E. cori". Bettah check fish head soup.

Post #: 9161
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 7:32:46 PM   
CaptDave

quote:

ORIGINAL: MateDow

quote:

Yes but that would just cause confusion. Two countries with red, white and blue??!?

There should be an alternative that wouldn't be as confusing.

Canadians - Red and white
Germans - Red, white and black
Russians - Just plain Red

Hmm, even there, there aren't a lot of differences.

Maybe the Swedes can start an Ikea franchise early and add radar to build-it-yourself furniture?

Or maybe the Norwegians would get involved. I've heard tell of a "Quisling Research Services" or something like that.

(in reply to MateDow)
Post #: 9162
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 10:18:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Amazing picture of shuttle fly-by today one of my coworkers snapped with her I-phone right through an office window.

jpeg conversion really slaughtered it but still nice.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 9163
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 11:23:02 PM   
BBfanboy

Ugh - looks like the gleaming white ceramic tiles are streaked with rust - a sign of how much NASA's budget has been cut that they stuck Endeavour in a leaky hangar? Hope the receiving museum can restore it to its deserved elegance!

You might want to put in a nominal bid for that now unneeded 747. Could be handy for troop/supply transport or aircraft ferry in your game.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 9164
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/21/2012 11:35:49 PM   
princep01

No, no not rust...that dirt on Capt's windows....call window washer for better view of massive shuttle next time, Capt.

Or perhaps the military thought a little camo paint might make the shuttle harder for the jihadists to shoot it down....oh wait, the jihadists don't believe the US ever flew a ship into space.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9165
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 12:48:22 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I think that is the way the Shuttles came back from missions. Not rust, of course, but hi-broil marks.

Maybe the necessary resoration funds were resreved for NASA muslim outreach programs?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/22/2012 12:57:30 AM >

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 9166
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 12:56:22 AM   
Cap Mandrake

**************IPPP (Indigenous Population Pacification Program) Meeting, Saumlaki, Feb. 5, 1943(c)*************

IPPP Group Leader: .........in summary, then, the great chief of the United States of America wishes to extend the hand of friendship to all peoples of the Pacific, regardless of race, creed or national origin. Are they any learnings?

Chief: Is Great Chief of the United States believer in teachings of Prophet?

IPPP Group Leader: Sir, do you mean John Maynard Keynes?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/22/2012 12:59:37 AM >

Post #: 9167
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 1:02:14 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Amazing picture of shuttle fly-by today one of my coworkers snapped with her I-phone right through an office window.

JPEG, camera phone, that is a seriously good picture!

Post #: 9168
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 3:15:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*****************Feb 6, 1943(c)*********************

Noumea: Rooks rike the LYB's aren't ready to give up yet. Need to let the attackers rest a few days.

Ground combat at Noumea (115,160)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 7621 troops, 133 guns, 61 vehicles, Assault Value = 290

Defending force 1556 troops, 11 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 46

Allied adjusted assault: 70

Japanese adjusted defense: 169

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), morale(-), supply(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
177 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 20 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
66 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
3rd Marine Regiment
14th NZ Brigade

Defending units:
61st Naval Guard Unit
46th JNAF AF Unit

Sorong: First day of the landing goes well. No mines. No CD guns. No opposition in the air on on the sea. I may need another regiment. More are prepping but they wont be at 50% prpep for a few days more so I did not load them on the first wave.

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 4346 troops, 22 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 232

Defending force 1868 troops, 58 guns, 70 vehicles, Assault Value = 149

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
13th Garrison Unit
4th Tank Regiment
1st Indpt SNLF Coy
44th Road Const Co
59th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
763rd Tank Battalion
9th Marine Rgt /2

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9169
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 3:31:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The neighbor with the $10K dollar mailbox just had his wife come home with a new engagement ring. Lest you think this is a renewal of vows thing, the ring is not to get married to him again. It's for someone else. I am not kidding.

Poor bastard. Her "plan" is to just leave the kids with him. The guy is nearly as old as my dad. Uggh. I knew when he put in that reflecting pool he was a dead man. "Reflecting pool"? Really? I now feel bad for not explaining the Mandrake theory of expensive landscape projects and divorce. Then he tempted the divorce Gods a second time by putting his mailbox on my side of the property line.

They went all the way to Belgium to get in vitro fertilization to have all 3 kids and now she comes home with a second engagment ring. There is an English language word for a woman of low morals who seeks out many sexual partners. I just can't remember what the word is.

I think it's "partygirl". Yeah, that's it.

Post #: 9170
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 3:42:07 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Burma: Admiral Lord SPrior attacked Paoshan again by air. I think he mentioned something about an air drop there <makes Dominican Good Luck sign>. Not sure what JJ has in the way of a garrison there. Chindits are still marching across the viper-infested jungles toward Myitkinia. They appear not to be spotted yet.

Morning Air attack on 55th Engineer Regiment, at 65,45 (Paoshan)

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 5

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIc Trop x 8
B-24D Liberator x 10
B-25C Mitchell x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 3 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Lautem, Formerly Portuguese Timor then British Timor then Japanese Timor and now American Timor: Bettys go after PT boats. I think they are probably coming from Maumere, but it is pretty lame.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Lautem at 72,115

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 6
G4M1 Betty x 3

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
PT-185

Post #: 9171
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 3:48:42 PM   
witpqs

quote:

The neighbor with the $10K dollar mailbox just had his wife come home with a new engagement ring. Lest you think this is a renewal of vows thing, the ring is not to get married to him again. It's for someone else. I am not kidding.

Poor bastard. Her "plan" is to just leave the kids with him. The guy is nearly as old as my dad. Uggh. I knew when he put in that reflecting pool he was a dead man. "Reflecting pool"? Really? I now feel bad for not explaining the Mandrake theory of expensive landscape projects and divorce. Then he tempted the divorce Gods a second time by putting his mailbox on my side of the property line.

They went all the way to Belgium to get in vitro fertilization to have all 3 kids and now she comes home with a second engagment ring. There is an English language word for a woman of low morals who seeks out many sexual partners. I just can't remember what the word is.

Is he the latest one to get a $30,000 built-in grill? Maybe he'll gift you the platinum spatula set or something?

Post #: 9172
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 3:59:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Mr. Chang's crew from Morelia started work again in 95+ degree weather. Either I was wrong about Frau Braun busting his cajones or he just ignored her. If it is the latter, I will lead the bail fund-raising team when they come for him. The Morelia boys were hauling soil up a partial south-facing slope in buckets at 2 PM Hory crap! An Alabama chain gang doesn't work that hard.

Mrs. Chang comes out in a parasol to inspect their work (WHILE THEY ARE SLAVING AWAY) like some kind of Ming dynsasty empress. Santa Maria! I couldn't stand it. When she left, I bought them a 10 piece Pollo Loco lunch and gave them a big thermos of ice water. I felt like Mother Teresa with chest hair.

This put me in a tremendous mood until Stalker Gril Jr. gave me lip about dirty dishes in the kitchen. At least when your own kids get uppity you can hit them (provide you dont leave marks).

Post #: 9173
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 4:03:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Is he the latest one to get a $30,000 built-in grill? Maybe he'll gift you the platinum spatula set or something?

No, that was the neighbor up the hill with the water slide and new motor home who takes out his trash cans with a quadrunner and seems to have unlimited amounts of cash. He is still married....for now. The delay is usually several years. It doesn't happen overnight. It's kinda like Mad Cow disease.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/22/2012 4:05:16 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9174
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 4:10:14 PM   
Cap Mandrake

BTW, I am pretty sure water slides are even worse than refelcting pools and $30,000 BBQ's

Also, please don't mention "spa****" in the context of food ever again. We use wooden spa***** to do cervical sampling during gynie exams. After some of the sutff I have seen come out of a cervix, I just call them "flat thingys" now.

Post #: 9175
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 8:51:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Stalker Gril Jr. gave me lip about dirty dishes in the kitchen. At least when your own kids get uppity you can hit them (provide you dont leave marks).

Amen to that. Why didn't you just hand her a sponge for her 'helpful observation'?

Post #: 9176
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/22/2012 9:13:00 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Stalker Gril Jr. gave me lip about dirty dishes in the kitchen. At least when your own kids get uppity you can hit them (provide you dont leave marks).

Amen to that. Why didn't you just hand her a sponge for her 'helpful observation'?

That would be the mature thing to do, but even better is getting her to lobby SG about the need for a French maid ...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9177
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/24/2012 5:06:32 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

JPEG, camera phone, that is a seriously good picture!

Agreed! Even caught one of the chase planes - never seem to see them in the official photos.

Edit to add: is there anything in M&M's contracts about cancellation if the war drops below Page 2 on the AAR forum?

< Message edited by Gridley380 -- 9/24/2012 5:07:19 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9178
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/24/2012 5:55:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

1) French maid idea is morte. I am pretty sure Stalker Girl was jealous of a 4 ft 11 in Mayan (Oh, OK, Maybe she was 5 ft tall). More on that later.

2) Turn throughput is down. I am also being tortured at work. I am thinking of complaining to the boss...oh wait.

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 9179
RE: Robusto Havana - 9/24/2012 7:07:17 PM   
witpqs

quote:

1) French maid idea is morte. I am pretty sure Stalker Girl was jealous of a 4 ft 11 in Mayan (Oh, OK, Maybe she was 5 ft tall). More on that later.

2) Turn throughput is down. I am also being tortured at work. I am thinking of complaining to the boss...oh wait.

From what I remember, the feeling was mutual. That story was pretty funny - about the Mayan asking how old SG was and saying, "Huh? That's all? She looks so much older!"

Post #: 9180
Page:   <<   < prev  304 305 [306] 307 308   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Robusto Havana Page: <<   < prev  304 305 [306] 307 308   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI