Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor Page: <<   < prev  426 427 [428] 429 430   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 3:48:18 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

She was right. It was significantly harder going North.

So did you make SG get out of the basket and walk then?

No. we went long and rented two bikes. She pissed me off the other day saying I probably couldn't hit a baseball anymore so I picked up the pace on the north-bound leg until she begged to stop for water. It was childish but I am not going to have some woman telling me I cant do things.

The guy in the rental store was a riot. He had Asperger's syndrome. HE wore a bike helmet inside the store. Never made eye contact but clearly loved his job. He spent 10 minutes making annotations on the little map and I have lived in the area for decades.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/12/2013 3:49:15 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12811
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 4:06:47 PM   
bradfordkay

The cyclist's law: what goes downhill is going to come back uphill...

I have two rules for my rides:
1.) start my ride going into the wind so on the return trip I'll have it at my back.
2.) Try to put any big uphills in the middle of my ride - it's best to start with a flat section, then tackle the hill and finish with a nice downhill.

Of course, rules are made to be broken.

Anyway, on a bike (especially a heavy single speed bike) any slight upgrade is noticeable. You don't have 400hp to overcome those grades. And I don't know what it is with women and their little dogs, but they all want to carry them along on their bikes - or walk them on the bike trails (usually two or three at a time spread all across the trail).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 12812
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 4:25:22 PM   
moore4807

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

She was right. It was significantly harder going North.

So did you make SG get out of the basket and walk then?

No. we went long and rented two bikes. She pissed me off the other day saying I probably couldn't hit a baseball anymore so I picked up the pace on the north-bound leg until she begged to stop for water. It was childish but I am not going to have some woman telling me I cant do things.

The guy in the rental store was a riot. He had Asperger's syndrome. HE wore a bike helmet inside the store. Never made eye contact but clearly loved his job. He spent 10 minutes making annotations on the little map and I have lived in the area for decades.

From personal experience... N E V E R challenge Asperger's syndrome people to challenging games of chess or "Rain Man" card counting skills. My friends son has Asperger's and I was duped into playing him at chess. I'm a 50% win on average player so I thought I'd take it easy on him, he bested me in 31 moves. Then I put on my big boy game face and took him on again, beating me only took him 27 moves!

To this date I have NEVER beaten him in chess (+50 games) I feel like a sacfrificial lamb whern we go over to visit, because Bill always wants to play chess ( he's 32 but with the emotional maturity of an 12 yr old) Now break out cards and he's not quite Dustin Hoffman of "Rain Man" but he holds his own and I find myself asking him for advice now and then because he can remember what cards have been played like a photographic memory... It's like they channel all thier brain power into one or two things and are exceptional, and everything else simply doesnt matter to them.

Post #: 12813
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 6:03:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: moore4807
From personal experience... N E V E R challenge Asperger's syndrome people to challenging games of chess or "Rain Man" card counting skills. My friends son has Asperger's and I was duped into playing him at chess. I'm a 50% win on average player so I thought I'd take it easy on him, he bested me in 31 moves. Then I put on my big boy game face and took him on again, beating me only took him 27 moves!

To this date I have NEVER beaten him in chess (+50 games) I feel like a sacfrificial lamb whern we go over to visit, because Bill always wants to play chess ( he's 32 but with the emotional maturity of an 12 yr old) Now break out cards and he's not quite Dustin Hoffman of "Rain Man" but he holds his own and I find myself asking him for advice now and then because he can remember what cards have been played like a photographic memory... It's like they channel all thier brain power into one or two things and are exceptional, and everything else simply doesnt matter to them.

How do you know the guy/gal you are playing in AE does no have Asperger's? They might have performance numbers memorized for every fighter at every altitude...including the YAK's. As a matter of fact, how do we know YOU don't have Asperger's?

Quick! How many Bofors on a short deck Essex?

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 12814
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 6:26:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Oh, come on. Somebody knows. Answer! We won't make fun of you. We promise.

Post #: 12815
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 8:00:32 PM   
BBfanboy

Unfair question CAP - it varies with the upgrades. I think they started with about 40 and finished with about 88!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 12816
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 8:17:51 PM   
moore4807

quote:

quote:

Oh, come on. Somebody knows. Answer! We won't make fun of you. We promise.

Dear Cap. My mental deficiencies are well documented! Aspergers has it all over me by my own admission.

Short Deck Essex's have WAY more Bofor's than me... The only thing I know about Bofor's is they were 40mm anti-aircraft weapons and made in the USA under license from Bofors, the swedish arms manufacturer... The other thing I know from reading Wikipedia is the M3 & M5 Stuarts main guns were 37mm Bofors also made under license in the USA during WWII... AND most surprising of all is Alfred Nobel (of Peace Prize fame) was one of the Owners of Bofors prior to his death. Talk about oxymorons!

And if you DIDN'T make fun of my answer, That would be the most disappointing of all

Post #: 12817
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 8:42:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Unfair question CAP - it varies with the upgrades. I think they started with about 40 and finished with about 88!

The use of the phrase "I think" indicates that you are a "neuro-typical". If we had swerved into an Asperger/AE player's area of microknowledge he would know the orignal design specs, the date and number added at every upgrade for every Essex carrier, the average rate of fire, how many enemy planes were shot down by Essex carriers and some formula to estimate how many were attributable to Bofors guns, the number of rounds in the storage lockers, every type of Bofors round ever produced and a descriotion of the origin of the company name (which I just looked up but I'm not goign to say).

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12818
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 8:54:02 PM   
Cap Mandrake

"AE savant"

Any nominees?

(in reply to VManteuffel)
Post #: 12819
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 9:10:24 PM   
moore4807

Alfred - hands down.

Never met a AE question he couldn't definitely answer...

Post #: 12820
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 10:27:14 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Alfred - hands down.

How's his eye contact?

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 12821
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 11:02:36 PM   
moore4807

quote:

quote:

Alfred - hands down.

How's his eye contact?

Not an available option....

Post #: 12822
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/12/2013 11:51:38 PM   
moore4807

Ok All fixed!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 12823
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 12:53:11 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Even the dogs have chauffeurs in Newport Beach.

I wonder how many men SG junior has driving her around Greece? They're very nice over there to blonde SoCal girls, I'm led to believe. I'm sure she's in good hands, no worries.

Post #: 12824
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 3:02:15 AM   
Onime No Kyo

How isnt this game over yet?

I guess that old yarn about "if you ignore it, it'll go away" is so much stuff....

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12825
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 3:33:44 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

I guess that old yarn about "if you ignore it, it'll go away" is so much stuff....

Oh, you are so off our Christmas card list now.

We are trying to win but they started fighting back.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 12826
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 4:21:41 PM   
witpqs

quote:

What the hell? Did they even read the script?

Post #: 12827
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 4:34:25 PM   
Lecivius

Long Island Ice Teas are SO yesterday. Now you need to try a Nuclear Long Island Ice Tea...patent pending. Has Uzo, and Blue Curacao in it as well, it sorta glows & sparkles in the dark if there are black lights on.

Post #: 12828
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 5:18:52 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

quote:

What is the VP point differential? Is this a matter of January 1944 and a required differential of 3:1? Will Oki take you over the top? Or will victory require strategic bombing points?

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Post #: 12829
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 5:35:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

quote:

What is the VP point differential? Is this a matter of January 1944 and a required differential of 3:1? Will Oki take you over the top? Or will victory require strategic bombing points?

We are not even close. The strategy of bypassing bases and major LYB troop concentrations means we don't gain much in the way of victory points.

And the idiot staff flunkie who lost 12K Anglo troops at Lingayen didn't help very much either. There are at least 140K LYB's trapped on Luzon and 100K trapped in Oz and Dobo but they are still alive.

I think, however, the situation is bad for the Shinto Boys. We have seen no opposing carrier for some time. The surface raids are reduced to DD's and CL's and spectacular numbers of Bettys have been destroyed. Oil delivery to the Home Islands is apparently not coming via the South China Sea.

Pretend I don't know how strategic points work.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 12830
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 5:41:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

At some point, just from the standpoint of game enjoyment by both sides, it might be appropriate to suggest a peace treaty, but right now we are running short of uncommitted ground troops. We have restricted divisions still in Hawaii and the West Coast but we are a bit shore of points to activate them.

If they have 50K Emperor-brand Kool-aide drinkers on Okinawa we will have to wait.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/13/2013 5:42:05 PM >

Post #: 12831
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 5:50:52 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

quote:

We are not even close. The strategy of bypassing bases and major LYB troop concentrations means we don't gain much in the way of victory points.

And the idiot staff flunkie who lost 12K Anglo troops at Lingayen didn't help very much either. There are at least 140K LYB's trapped on Luzon and 100K trapped in Oz and Dobo but they are still alive.

I think, however, the situation is bad for the Shinto Boys. We have seen no opposing carrier for some time. The surface raids are reduced to DD's and CL's and spectacular numbers of Bettys have been destroyed. Oil delivery to the Home Islands is apparently not coming via the South China Sea.

Shinto boys are still ahead 42K to 33K ... you all have a ways to go ...

As I read AAR's not many games get to the point where the Allies start reducing Japan to ash .. but when they do .. and When the LB's start strategic bombing ... not only do you get the side effects of reduced industry like Aircraft factories that do not research or produce ... but each attack on the Home Islands that destroys industry also gains strategic points in the form of VP's ... A LOT OF VP's can be gained this way ...

Radier vs. Greyjoy if it played out would have been such a demonstration .... B17's and B24's bombing from Sapporo cannot be a good thing for the IJ .. lots of stuff within fighter/bomber range..

I did note that the IJ have gained some VP's by attacking industry ...Does the land of Oz accumulate strategic VP's for the IJ?

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Post #: 12832
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 6:29:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

JJ did bomb something in India once. That is probably where the 60 points came from.

An Arried level 8 airfield at Naha and a fighter strip at Amami Oshima would also be a disaster for Kyushu.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 12833
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 8:03:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Long Island Ice Teas are SO yesterday. Now you need to try a Nuclear Long Island Ice Tea...patent pending. Has Uzo, and Blue Curacao in it as well, it sorta glows & sparkles in the dark if there are black lights on.

That sounds intriguing. It's a close relative of the Darwin Antipersonnel Bomb(Crème de Menthe, Guinness and Irish Whiskey [Protestant or Catholic]). This particular crowd pleaser has not been invented in WWII(c), as I recall.

I don't know any places around here with black lights. Wait, check that. We have one at work to check for skin fungus.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 12834
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 8:11:58 PM   
Cap Mandrake

No turn yet. < Sigh>

Stalker Girl has her own stalkers at work. 3 of them. The Mexican janitor. He says sweet nothings like, "Joo are a bery beeuuutiful lady". Then there is the security guard in the ER. The guy claims to be a Viet Nam vet but seems waaaay too young. He is bat **** crazy. All the nurses have blocked him on facebook.

Then there is one of the surgeons who told SG, "I have SPECTACULAR junk" (spoken with a Georgia accent). Turns out this is a she-surgeon. We had both thought it was simply bragging but have now discovered it really was like throwing a sardine on a hook.

Post #: 12835
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 8:32:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

What the hell? Did they even read the script?

Why such umbrage? One side clearly didn't read the script. Another side clearly didn't read the manual. Sounds like a perfect match to me.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12836
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 8:34:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

And the idiot staff flunkie who lost 12K Anglo troops at Lingayen didn't help very much either. There are at least 140K LYB's trapped on Luzon

Who is trapper and trappee on Luzon still seems a matter of conjecture, kind sir. How many BWBs are on Luzon now?

Post #: 12837
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 8:36:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Alright. The expurgated version: bomb or capture **** of strategic value. Get points.

Post #: 12838
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 9:14:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

And the idiot staff flunkie who lost 12K Anglo troops at Lingayen didn't help very much either. There are at least 140K LYB's trapped on Luzon

Who is trapper and trappee on Luzon still seems a matter of conjecture, kind sir. How many BWBs are on Luzon now?

BWBs="Big White Bastards"?

We have 37th ID, 8th Aus, 7th Aus (1/2 strength), 4 USMC regiments, 2 US Army regts, substantial armor and a bunch of arty.

We got caught in move mode in clear terrain at Lingayen. Of course, I blame the staff flunkies for not having good intel. I don't think the Mongol Horde in Northern Luzon can take either Iva or Vigan at this point. Manila is Mexican standoff unless they move South. We can probably take Aparri and Laoag after some air bombardment

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/13/2013 9:15:43 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12839
RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor - 8/13/2013 9:17:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Alright. The expurgated version: bomb or capture **** of strategic value. Get points.

right, I know about the capture part. Bomb what? Industry? Manpower? National Shrines?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12840
Page:   <<   < prev  426 427 [428] 429 430   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wound my heart with a monotonous languor Page: <<   < prev  426 427 [428] 429 430   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI