Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device Page: <<   < prev  431 432 [433] 434 435   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/22/2013 9:01:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lomri

Plus they print out leaflets that say "lift with your knees". (Also why moral is low).

Hory crap! That-ah rearry funny! Rift with knees. Hahahaha. Japan mens not-ah rift with knees. We use knees for knee mortar. No wonder Pearhh Harbor so easy for Japan mens.

(in reply to Lomri)
Post #: 12961
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/22/2013 9:05:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So HQ aviation support also reaches out to the radius? I'll be damned. There must be some kind of formula because it seems not to be 100%. Does it degrade over distance? Is it a fixed percentage?

I take it the unit need not be subordinate to the HQ, because Cebu USN base force is still attched to Asiatic Fleet.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/22/2013 9:06:41 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 12962
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 2:43:30 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Why does there always have to be a rational explanation for everything? It really closes down story lines.

There is no mystery in life. Everything is an equation.

Post #: 12963
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 5:52:20 AM   
Quixote

Just to add some of the mystery back in, Air Support does not have the same type of area effect that Naval Support does. Unlike Naval HQs, air support itself does not extend out over a command radius but applies only to its own hex. The command radius of an Air HQ does help when upgrading units at smaller bases, when determining the percentage of level bombers that will fly from a base, and in calculating the level of air coordination you'll see, but it does nothing at all to help support neighboring hexes in the way Naval Support does. There you go. All is right with the world again...

Post #: 12964
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 2:17:46 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quixote

Just to add some of the mystery back in, Air Support does not have the same type of area effect that Naval Support does. Unlike Naval HQs, air support itself does not extend out over a command radius but applies only to its own hex. The command radius of an Air HQ does help when upgrading units at smaller bases, when determining the percentage of level bombers that will fly from a base, and in calculating the level of air coordination you'll see, but it does nothing at all to help support neighboring hexes in the way Naval Support does. There you go. All is right with the world again...

See, I actually knew all that about air HQ support which is why the notion that the air support might project out was confusing. As we can all agree that a 100 ton crane won't fit on a C-47 and therefore the main benefit for a naval HQ is cheerleading, safety posters and phone support lines why couldn't an air HQ do the same thing?

I guess I never thought of SWPAC as a naval HQ considering ground units are attached and the ONLY option for command right now is you know who. SWPAC was in Iba to aid in debarkation and help rebuild ground troops. I didn't know about the help line thingy.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/23/2013 2:24:25 PM >

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 12965
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 2:19:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

How old do you have to be before the term "very promising" doesn't make much sense?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/23/2013 2:22:52 PM >

Post #: 12966
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 3:23:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

How old do you have to be before the term "very promising" doesn't make much sense?

Aye. Well, at least he's most qualified to lead an assault command. I think you've found your first wave commander for the pending Okinawa gig.

Post #: 12967
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 3:27:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Aye. Well, at least he's most qualified to lead an assault command. I think you've found your first wave commander for the pending Okinawa gig.

Whoa! That's a great idea! Load up SWPAC HQ on landing craft and then send an LCM with the CMOH winner and 10 of his best friends ashore alone.

I wonder why he gets so low an "inspiration" rating. He was a good public speaker, even if a bit stiff. Perhaps it's just the annoyance factor.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/23/2013 3:28:51 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 12968
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 3:31:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

OK, here is what I would call an honest, stem to stern naval HQ with a real admiral in charge and no naval support points. What do they do, human resource management? EIR reports? Congressional tours? M&M contracting?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12969
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 3:36:39 PM   
witpqs

They were called CINC - 'sink' - because they're a sink for resources. Like fresh strawberries, comfy chairs, and the like.

Post #: 12970
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 3:41:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

USN HQ's. Both SWPAC and SOUPAC are listed under USN. Asiatic Fleet had quite a harrowing escape from the PI in '42. Now I wonder whey we bothered. Seems like they are just using up Lucky Strikes and T-bones.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12971
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 3:44:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

They were called CINC - 'sink' - because they're a sink for resources. Like fresh strawberries, comfy chairs, and the like.

Yeah, exactly...and Lucky Strikes and T-bone steaks. They probably have nurses with perky bosoms too...some of them might even be heterosexual.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12972
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 3:55:45 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Stole all the Air HQ from CENTPAC . Time for them to start prepping for Kagoshima or something. That's another question. When air HQ prep for a target, is there value gained when the target is outside their command radius, which is usually the case for heavy bomber raids. I understand the raid coordination benefits for raids originating from bases within their command radius but what about the target itself?

Post #: 12973
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 4:26:10 PM   
witpqs

AFAIK Air HQs prepping for a target makes no difference at all. I do it anyway.

Post #: 12974
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 5:06:23 PM   
Walloc

quote:

Well, if going by Danish sports commentators, refering to "new talents" that is introduced onto the Danish national soccer team. I would say, at some point after ppl turn 87.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/23/2013 5:09:11 PM >

Post #: 12975
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 5:31:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

AFAIK Air HQs prepping for a target makes no difference at all. I do it anyway.

Right, so the prep on an Air HQ does ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING? Splendid!

I guess you could use it a bluff or spoof as Japan...hoping the Arries gain intel on the false prep?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12976
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 5:34:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Speaking of HQ units "hogging" all the T-bones, did you know the Army of the Potomac transported 21,000 head of cattle for the Peninsular Campaign. MClellan was REARRY good at organization, he just didn't know when to attack.

I would not be surprised if the had a help line where you could ask question by telegraph as well.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/23/2013 5:36:00 PM >

Post #: 12977
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 5:37:21 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

USN HQ's. Both SWPAC and SOUPAC are listed under USN. Asiatic Fleet had quite a harrowing escape from the PI in '42. Now I wonder whey we bothered. Seems like they are just using up Lucky Strikes and T-bones.

While Menado is a swell place to stack three Naval HQs, by chance have you considered moving one of them somewhere to within...oh, I dunno...2,000 miles of your front line?

Post #: 12978
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 5:38:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Speaking of HQ units "hogging" all the T-bones, did you know the Army of the Potomac transported 21,000 head of cattle for the Peninsular Campaign. MClellan was REARRY good at organization, he just didn't know when to attack.

I would not be surprised if the had a help line where you could ask question by telegraph as well.

But how would a Hindi accent be transmitted by telegraph key?

Post #: 12979
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 5:41:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Private O'Boyle, 69th new York Regt, 2nd Brig, 1st Div, Second Corps: <on telegraph> W H E N I S O P E N E N R O L L M E N T F O R T H E D E N T A L ............

Post #: 12980
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 6:13:31 PM   
zuluhour

I never realized this was a "political" rating......hmmmm all making cents now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 8/23/2013 6:14:49 PM >

Post #: 12981
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 6:27:21 PM   
zuluhour

Personally I find the whole SwPac staff disturbing. I leave them in Tasmania.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 12982
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 7:15:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Poor Wainwright. The guy had the nickname "Skinny" BEFORE he was a POW. MacArthur seemed to understand he should feel some guilt for leaving them all behind. I am guessing he is trying to portray that in that phograph which is either staged or they are getting ready for a waltz lesson.

In the MacArthur film with Gregory Peck the scene where he meets Wainwright again is actually quite powerful. I don't really know if was true to life or Peck just nailed it.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 12983
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 7:18:41 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

I've always thought Wainwright probably hated Mac with all his guts, and in this photo he tried his hardest not to show it. I know I can't stand Mac and eveything he stood for. I think he was one of the worst generals in the history of the American army.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 12984
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 7:21:00 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

OK, here is what I would call an honest, stem to stern naval HQ with a real admiral in charge and no naval support points. What do they do, human resource management? EIR reports? Congressional tours? M&M contracting?

Seems to me you're suppose to put your worst Admiral in these HQs and put them at a major repair base...a dump for Admirals that have the intelligence of my Sister-in-law's current flavor of the month.

Post #: 12985
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 7:23:16 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

He was a major reason the army was as well trained, organized, armed into the army it became.. he just lacked some of the other major qualities you want in your main generals.

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 8/23/2013 7:27:09 PM >

Post #: 12986
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/23/2013 7:46:10 PM   
erstad

quote:

As we can all agree that a 100 ton crane won't fit on a C-47 and therefore the main benefit for a naval HQ is cheerleading, safety posters and phone support lines why couldn't an air HQ do the same thing?

Nav Support might well include the 100 ton cranes, but also includes many more portable assets as well. Here's one description JWE gave

quote:

Instead, this function is abstracted by a new unit type called Naval Support. Among its many other nifty functions, NavSup is presumed to include a Harbor Master, lighterage, stevedore crews, and definitely speeds up the unload rates at small ports. NavSup is included in Base Forces and elsewhere.

Of course, getting the stevedores to commute a 100 miles or more in a war zone is problematic. But at least it's more rational to think that some fraction of the HQs folks/lighters/etc. are detached for remote duty than it is to envision that crane teleporting from place to place. Here's a Don Bowen post on that:

quote:

Naval support stands in for a lot of things, including cargo lighters and shore cargo handling parties. I have no problem visualizing these being dispatched down the coast for a big job.

I realize the above information is dangerously close to being on-topic for the forum, so in the interest of etiquette will mention that I'm not a big fan of strawberries, allegorical or otherwise; although my wife enjoys strawberries in season.

< Message edited by erstad -- 8/23/2013 7:48:43 PM >

Post #: 12987
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/24/2013 11:14:59 AM   
sprior

18th Div makes it across the Irrawaddy. JJ is trying to creep up on Myitkyina, but I have no idea why.

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 12988
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/24/2013 11:41:20 AM   
zuluhour

Perhaps grasping?? Any straw salesmen local?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 12989
RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device - 8/24/2013 12:21:55 PM   
Disco Duck

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

I've always thought Wainwright probably hated Mac with all his guts, and in this photo he tried his hardest not to show it. I know I can't stand Mac and eveything he stood for. I think he was one of the worst generals in the history of the American army.

In the fifties he was still claiming that the Navy could have relieved the Philippines. There are some still saying the reason we didn't was because of the commies in D.C.

He obviously had huge political clout. I just don't understand the basis for it.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 12990
Page:   <<   < prev  431 432 [433] 434 435   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The strawberry as an allegorical device Page: <<   < prev  431 432 [433] 434 435   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI