Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Op Consanguinity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Op Consanguinity Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/19/2010 1:40:15 PM   
sprior

And it's a long way back to any decent repair facilities for all those glowing carriers.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1891
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/19/2010 2:57:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

big girl's blouse = slang term for a wimpy, emasculated and weak man. In particular, one who complains immoderately.

Whew. I was being tempted toward "immoderation"

Great word by the way. Positively Churchillian.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1892
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/19/2010 3:23:42 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Even though none were likely sunk, those CV's are going to have to spend some time getting patched. At a minimum, I think you just turned the tide in the local theater and you should now be able to get some supply and reinforcements in to bolster the defenders.

NOW I may agree with my brushheaded colleague's assessment from a couple days ago (and Sprior's too). Like Mike says, likely those carriers will have significant SYS damage-enough to restrict air combat activities. Your odds just went short, sir. Are you in a position at riposte with your carriers?

Not for several days unless the Japs bring in the Imperial triremes. I think there are 2-3 Wildcats between the 4 carriers. Almost everything that could fly went to New Scotland. I just sent the RN torpedo demi-squadrons to Suva in case the Jap carriers move within range. There are 16 TBD's at Suva and 12 crated up F4F's and 20 SBD's coming in to Wellington from Oz.

The carriers will refuel at Samoa today (if there is enough fuel), then they will have to head back toward Fiji to pick up some of the USN squadrons and the RN F4F's.

Absolutely 1 Jap carrier, likely 2, and less likely 3 will be able to conduct flight ops. Probably, the seviceable carries will cover Zuikaku and Shokaku which are burning badly. Their retreat choices are West and then North through the Coral Sea or skirt closer to Fiji to avoid the dive bombers at New Edinburgh.

If I were them I would go West. They can't know completely how impotent the Allied carriers are right now..

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/19/2010 3:24:48 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1893
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/19/2010 3:26:04 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I watched the combat replay for the 18th. There were TWELVE dud torpedo hits (including a hit on Shokaku) to one detonation.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1894
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/19/2010 9:07:51 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I watched the combat replay for the 18th. There were TWELVE dud torpedo hits (including a hit on Shokaku) to one detonation.

One better than Midway??

EDIT: Seriously, the USN air-dropped torpedoes were really, really bad at the beginning of the war... a good percentage of them disintegrated when they hit the water, and most of the detonators failed... still, they did OK at Coral Sea... not so good at Midway... the torpedoes were vastly improved by the end of the war through various fixes...

REEDIT: i think i would had to stop the replay and get several drinks after about the 4th dud, though...

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 9/19/2010 9:12:02 PM >

Post #: 1895
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/20/2010 7:12:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

One better than Midway??

EDIT: Seriously, the USN air-dropped torpedoes were really, really bad at the beginning of the war... a good percentage of them disintegrated when they hit the water, and most of the detonators failed... still, they did OK at Coral Sea... not so good at Midway... the torpedoes were vastly improved by the end of the war through various fixes...

REEDIT: i think i would had to stop the replay and get several drinks after about the 4th dud, though...

These were torps from subs. No TBD's were involved in the recent fighting. If I had been made to watch 12 dud torps from TBD attacks I would not be posting here right now......I would be at the top of some bell tower with a sniper rifle.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1896
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/20/2010 7:36:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*************May 19, 1942*************

The Jap carriers disappeared. All of them. I probably have a recon gap South of New Scotland after all the PBY's losses recently.

Pallsier was ordered to stay at New Edinburgh with Dent and Scout in the hope he could deflect weaker Jap bombardment forces. This he did to some succes v Kinugasa and Kinu. Palliser was eventually driven off and the bombardment by Kinugasa was largely ineffective. When the sun came up; however...........

Ship's Log: HMGS Arthur Dent

23:35, May 18 Make speed 30 kts, course 210, fire at will............

23:50 Make smoke. New course 170

07:25, May 19 Lookouts report enemy dive bombers. Hard left rudder ordered....

07:28 hard right rudder

07:35 hard left rudder

09:35 Hard right rudder
11;28 Hard right rudder
13;20 Hard left rudder
15:25 Abandon ship...

Dozens of Val and Kate sorties from New Uallapool attack both ships but only the 5th and 6th attacks succeed. Squaw of yellowhair Palliser cry in teepee tonight....well, honestly, it depends on the life insurance payout and if the step kids are going to fight over the inheritence.

Allied medium bombers attack New Ullapool with good success, destroying 20 planes on the ground. New Perth was also hit by two cruisers and then a shock attack by 58,000 angry LYB's in the morning. This came off at 1:2 but resulted in over 5000 Jap casulaties (a 10:1 ratio). Supply at New Perth falls to almost zero. The planes will have to leave.

The dive bombers at NE dont even leave the ground.

A Jap DD near New Ullappol was hit by a dud torp....natually.

I still need to get supplies in and kill the cruisers....and I need to get some of the dive bombers out of NE and get the 17's back in.

Post #: 1897
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/21/2010 5:47:48 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Considering renegotiating your contract with M&M Enterprises?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 1898
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 12:59:26 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I think I broke The Worst AAR Ever.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1899
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 1:47:41 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

I think I broke The Worst AAR Ever.

How long have you had these feelings of grandiosity?

In reality, it took 2 1/2 days to get the turn back, then the Japs nearly captured New Edinburgh...Madre de Dios!. I also found out what happened to the McGoo kid that is MIA on Tanna....but there has been a severe outbreak of XX chromosome-induced, transient (I hope) communal psychosis at my place and I couldnt get to it.

BTW...my ice maker stopped working again......SELL!!!!!!

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/24/2010 1:49:11 AM >

Post #: 1900
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 2:01:52 AM   
Mynok

Sounds like sprior had some XX-induced BFU issues too.

Estrogen broke the Worlds Worst AAR.

< Message edited by Mynok -- 9/24/2010 2:02:44 AM >

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 1901
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 2:03:52 AM   
witpqs

I wonder if the broken ice maker was the root cause?

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1902
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 2:17:46 AM   
Mynok

quote:

ice maker

Isn't that exactly what estrogen does?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1903
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 4:34:31 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok/ONK

ice maker

Isn't that exactly what estrogen does?

Actually, ONK, when properly mixed, estrogen in the presence of testosterone melts ice faster than you can say, "Booty Call!"

(Of course, M&M-label Tequila serves as the most effective catalyst for this reaction)

Mandrake, you should be proud: It's only May 1942 and it looks like KB just took a big one in the shorts.

I suspect that the IJN's corporate controller just informed Adm. Yamamoto that his upcoming Pacific expansion plans had their "budgeted capital for future operations" cut substantially in order to provide emergency funding for "previously unforseen but necessary maintenance, upgrade, and replacement expenses of existing equipment" (kinda like what I got told at a board meeting last night about some planned capital expenditures scheduled for December...)

You are THE MAN!

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1904
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 8:45:57 AM   
sprior

quote:

estrogen in the presence of testosterone melts ice faster than you can say, "Booty Call!"

Not in our house it doesn't. (Except for Mrs P of course)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 1905
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 12:34:13 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

How long have you had these feelings of grandiosity?

How dare you speak zat wey to ze Emperor of Frohnce?!

Post #: 1906
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 12:37:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

estrogen in the presence of testosterone melts ice faster than you can say, "Booty Call!"

Not in our house it doesn't. (Except for Mrs P of course)

That you know of, anyway.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1907
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 12:39:11 PM   
sprior

Shut your face.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 1908
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 5:25:59 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Shut your face.

Yessir.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1909
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 11:03:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********May 21, 1942***********

New Scotland: The Jap carriers are unspotted for a second day despite a 360 degree search from Fiji and 180 degree searches from Tanna and New Zealand and Oz. I think they are gone. Curiously, 16 Vals are reported destroyed on the ground even though the Allies had no airfield raids on the 20th????? Could these be Vals that went down with a carrier? New Ullapool is packed with planes..over 100 operational fighters and nearly 100 operational bombers (I am pretty sure they flew off planes from the carriers). New Edinburgh was hit by two cruiser bombardments, destroying one 17 (and damaging one or two I think) and driving runway damage to 42%. Even so, the 17's should have attacked the next day...but did not. I think there must be a huge CAP over New Ullapool.

The Jap ground forces at New Edinburgh shock attacked, achieving a 1:1 ratio, their best yet. They suffered about 2:1 casualties. Madre de Dios! That was close. Without the infantry from 24th Inf Regt (ashore after the last flurry) it would have been all over for the Allies. I am sending a Marine Bn back to NE and some armor but I cant spare too much as there are now 89,000 Japs at New Perth.

Supply on New Scotland has dwindled again to about 5,000 tons total. We still need more supply and troops on New Scotland. Time for more suffering by the Allied navies. The Jap air at New Ullapool is the A-team. AK's are on their way. Hornet will lay off of Fiji and pick up some of the dive bombers on New Scotland. Two allied cruiser forces will attempt to intercept the 3 Jap CA's bombarding the Allied bases. One fast transport taffy will make a run in now.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/24/2010 11:14:08 PM >

Post #: 1910
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/24/2010 11:34:17 PM   
witpqs

It's been confirmed that nav search and ASW arcs do not work, and neither do the anti-arcs (reversing start and end). Suggest all 360's until they patch it.

Post #: 1911
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/25/2010 3:35:01 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Oh that does it! This game is broken! I want my money back! I will complain to the torrent download society! I will take this to the highest court in the land! I will......

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1912
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/25/2010 3:38:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

It's been confirmed that nav search and ASW arcs do not work, and neither do the anti-arcs (reversing start and end). Suggest all 360's until they patch it.

+1 to my Argletonian colleague's assessment. Keep arcs 'random'.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 9/25/2010 3:40:10 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1913
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/25/2010 5:28:20 PM   
Moondawggie

quote:

Darn! Thats means assigning a lot more planes to search needlessly, and not having those SBDs available for naval attack.

Of course, that also explains why my first indication that IJN carriers are nearby is when the Vals and Kates are doing the ole' hit 'em high/low on my flattops.

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1914
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/25/2010 7:40:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Bloody Hell! Maybe I was too harsh on the McGoo clan.

What do the planes in the green box have in common?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1915
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/25/2010 7:52:09 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The situation at New Edinburgh is desperate. The last Jap attack very nearly achieved 2:1 and took the fortifications back down to zero. The 24th Inf Regt morale is down to 15 .

I picked a peppier commander and assigned them to I Amphibious Corps to see if Geiger can sacre the crap out of them.

I moved out as many planes as I dare from NE. The flyable B-17's are at Suva and will hit the Japs at NE. The very enthusiatic (for now at least) 90th BS(M) is now at NE for ground attack as is one squadron of B-26's. If the Japs attack again today, I think the defenders will crack but the Japs took more casualties and may need to recover.

One USMC Regt is headed to New Scotland from Auckland and one from Fiji. An Army regt. is on its way near Samoa. Hornet will attempt to cover and a force of 3 USN CA's and 2 CL's is leaving now from Fiji. Supply on AK's leaving Fiji now will reach New Scotland in 3 d. Fast transport taffy with 600 tons in 2 d. HMAS Canberra and some CL's are 3 d out.

It is a real nail biter. The 89,000 Japs at New Perth might attack any time too.

*The answer to the question from the previosu post is they are all carrier based. Shokaku showed up on the sunk list.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/25/2010 7:53:23 PM >

Post #: 1916
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/25/2010 8:05:05 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Lord Admiral Sprior
CIC, Brown Army Men

My Dearest Spri;

I stole one of the RAAF Kittyhawk squadrons at Brisbane for New Scotland. If the transports are going to get in they will need a better CAP. The P-39 squadron at Darwin now has P-38's. US 32nd ID is about 3 days out from Melbourne (now South of Tasmania). I checked the withdraw list. You had a Swordfish squadron in Ceylon that was overdue. I sent the pilots to the other TB squadron on Ceylon and withdrew them. I also sent back an RAAF Hudson squadron that was due at Calcutta and saved the pilots to a squadron in Oz. Several USAAF squadrons were due on the US mainland. Is sent them back as well.

We have an AP at Aden that is due back in 2 d and a RN CL at Aden due back in a few days as well. As you know, we are low on points.

I sent Formidable back toward Pearl. Repulse will be ready in about 40 d, P o W in 120d.

Admiral of the Fleet Mandrake
CIC, Green Army men

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/25/2010 8:06:20 PM >

Post #: 1917
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/25/2010 8:19:27 PM   
sprior

Bigyin Manders
CIC Green Jobs

My Dearest Mandy,

No problem, those Aussies have been malingering anyway, please let them have crack at Johny Jap.

These units that keep getting withdrawn are a right royal pain in the backside. I suspect a new round will be upon us once June arrives.

We're looking forward to 32 Div arriving in Oz, I'm sure a few shrimp will be thrown on the barbie when they do.

Meanwhile NW Oz is going to be a close call with JJ's 5th Div, 2 x tank regts and Inf Regts too on the way to Katherine.

Yours.

Lord High SP
CIC Brown Jobs

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 1918
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/25/2010 8:54:47 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

Oh, pretty!

CVE? Or, did you nail them at an airfield on New Scotland? (or whatever the hell the name is supposed to be. )

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 1919
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/25/2010 9:21:36 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

Oh, pretty!

CVE? Or, did you nail them at an airfield on New Scotland? (or whatever the hell the name is supposed to be. )

"*The answer to the question from the previosu post is they are all carrier based. Shokaku showed up on the sunk list. " - Mandrake

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 9/26/2010 5:03:24 AM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 1920
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Op Consanguinity Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI