Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Lips are sealed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Lips are sealed Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 12:44:48 AM   
BrucePowers

A dog story to rival yours......

So we are watching my wife's brother's boxer for the week while they are in Colorado. Now this dog was born with some sort of digestive disorder that has never been fully explained to me. The vet prevailed on my brother in law to take the dog when it was a puppy telling him otherwise he was going to have to put it down. The dog is on meds and metamusil. Her twice a day meal consists of 2 cups of vegetarian (remember this) kibble and 1 cup of green beans twice a day. She gets her meds at meal time.

So on Saturday my wife and I come in from doing yard work and take showers. She pulls 2 ribeyes out of the freezer and leaves them in the packaging to thaw. She goes to use the computer and I go watch some football. About an hour and a half later she calls me into the kitchen. She asks me if I have done anything with the meat. On the floor is the styrofoam plate the meat came on and nothing else, the meat (semi frozen), saran wrap and labeling are gone. Now our son who lived with his uncle for 3 years over on the west side of the state before moving to Durham in April had warned us this dog counter surfed.

She is a vegetarian for a reason. Her system doesn't process meat at all well. Well the last 2 1/2 days have been very gassy in this house. She did have a very large BM Sunday night I am just glad it turned cool enough to turn off the AC and open up the house

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2221
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 1:36:51 AM   
Mynok

Transfer range of the F4F should do it, no?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 2222
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 1:57:19 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

So we are watching my wife's brother's boxer for the week while they are in Colorado. Now this dog was born with some sort of digestive disorder that has never been fully explained to me. The vet prevailed on my brother in law to take the dog when it was a puppy telling him otherwise he was going to have to put it down. The dog is on meds and metamusil. Her twice a day meal consists of 2 cups of vegetarian (remember this) kibble and 1 cup of green beans twice a day. She gets her meds at meal time.

So on Saturday my wife and I come in from doing yard work and take showers. She pulls 2 ribeyes out of the freezer and leaves them in the packaging to thaw. She goes to use the computer and I go watch some football. About an hour and a half later she calls me into the kitchen. She asks me if I have done anything with the meat. On the floor is the styrofoam plate the meat came on and nothing else, the meat (semi frozen), saran wrap and labeling are gone. Now our son who lived with his uncle for 3 years over on the west side of the state before moving to Durham in April had warned us this dog counter surfed.

She is a vegetarian for a reason. Her system doesn't process meat at all well. Well the last 2 1/2 days have been very gassy in this house. She did have a very large BM Sunday night I am just glad it turned cool enough to turn off the AC and open up the house

A vegetarian dog? Dear God! The ignominity!

Fortunately it was a female so she didn't have to suffer the further disgrace of having her balls cut off. If I were her I would roll around in bacon grease and attack a pack of 20 coyotes.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 2223
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 1:57:54 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Right..that is pretty much my question. What is the transfer range?

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 2224
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 2:46:22 AM   
Mynok

Maximum range I do believe.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 2225
RE: USAAF - 10/20/2010 4:38:50 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Reminds me of a few REMFs I knew a long time ago....Perhaps our good Captain would get better service from the Reincarnation Bureau, the 4th Quonset on the left?

REMF.....Rear Echelon Mother *******?

Sometimes also referred to as "Chairborne Rangers" when the audience may not appreciate expletives

Yep, those trick knees prevent so many gallant men from joining the Hoi Polloi in the fray!

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 2226
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 4:48:15 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

I agree. Put the carriers within maximum range (less 1 or 2 hexes to account for computer stupidity), with plenty o' room on board to take on strays, and I bet you can pull it off....

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 2227
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 5:19:15 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

quote:

I agree. Put the carriers within maximum range (less 1 or 2 hexes to account for computer stupidity), with plenty o' room on board to take on strays, and I bet you can pull it off....

But surely the transfer range is greater than the maximum mission range because it is a one-way flight?

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 2228
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 5:28:22 AM   
Mynok

Not Normal or Extended range. Extended is the maximum mission range. Maximum range. The top number on the group screen. This is the transfer range.

Post #: 2229
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 5:58:26 AM   
Chickenboy

Well, they call it "Boxer colitis" for a reason. Doom on you for changing the diet, Bruce. I'm sure you'll have some carpet to clean before long...

Post #: 2230
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 8:22:18 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Not Normal or Extended range. Extended is the maximum mission range. Maximum range. The top number on the group screen. This is the transfer range.

Ah, yes, I see it. Says 15 but it seems to be less than without drop tanks. 12 perhaps.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 2231
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 8:24:10 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Admiral Lord Simon;

The turn is in the ether 00:30 PST 10-20

Post #: 2232
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 8:39:10 AM   
sprior

Today we shall start the withdrawal of troops from Sandy Shaw to Susan and thence on southwards to Dusty Sprongfield. The fixed defences will have to be the rearguard. The airfield at Dusty is being built up and should soon be able to handle the bombers from SS but I don't want to give the game away by a too hasty withdrawal.

Meanwhile we shall gather I Corps in India and get the transports moved out from Aden to shift them across the Southern Ocean.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 2233
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 12:31:49 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Right..that is pretty much my question. What is the transfer range?

Who's on 1st?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 2234
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 1:05:52 PM   
Itdepends

quote:

I completely concur with your plan even if it does need a little "fleshing out" as you say. Have you thought about the effect the rout and panic business might have on the civilian population of Australia? I suggest free admission to sporting events on holidays and perhaps free propaganda films.

No need- bread and circuses. Or in the case of the Aussies- beer and football (not rugby thank good- if you can see your way through to letting the LYB overrrun QLD and NSW it would be seen in a favourable light).

Post #: 2235
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 1:35:18 PM   
sprior

We might let them win the Ashes.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 2236
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 1:38:51 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

Meanwhile we shall gather I Corps in India and get the transports moved out from Aden to shift them across the Southern Ocean.

A cautionary note, in my PBEM with AdmNelson, he has been adept at ocean intercepts of troop convoys.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 2237
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 2:44:23 PM   
sprior

He missed the fuel convoys from Abadan to Oz.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 2238
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 4:09:24 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

btw...what happened to the Sran wrap

Post #: 2239
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 4:11:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

quote:

I completely concur with your plan even if it does need a little "fleshing out" as you say. Have you thought about the effect the rout and panic business might have on the civilian population of Australia? I suggest free admission to sporting events on holidays and perhaps free propaganda films.

No need- bread and circuses. Or in the case of the Aussies- beer and football (not rugby thank good- if you can see your way through to letting the LYB overrrun QLD and NSW it would be seen in a favourable light).

But what if the residents of Daly Waters stage a letter-writing campaign? You fine mohagony desk, hand carved by brown skinned exploitees of the empire for pennies a day, could be inundated for....well....2 or 3 minutes.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 2240
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 4:18:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

I (we) lost 5 or 6 fast TK's and a DD just outside of Sydney during their Sydney raid. Even worse, they caught Saratoga refueling South of Sydney.

I nearly cried. I would have had I not been raised in Spartan household. And I don't mean limited furniture either. My mom is half Spartan on her dad's side. I slept on a plaster slab unitl I moved out to college. Salted beef twice a day, maybe a handful of beans. Sandals all the time, even in the winter. It was Hell but it steeled me to adversity.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 2241
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 4:48:20 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

I (we) lost 5 or 6 fast TK's and a DD just outside of Sydney during their Sydney raid. Even worse, they caught Saratoga refueling South of Sydney.

That can ruin your day. AmdNelson liked to raid the Indian Ocean with mini-KB. On his second venture, I had all 4 US CV's deployed from Perth and caught him low on sorties on the way back to Singers and bagged 4 CVL's/CVE's. A few months later he had Junyo with another CV moving into the Indian Ocean near Engganno and I jumped him with 2 US and 2 British CV's. This was just pure luck as my TF's were just going from one point to another. Junyo as well as Mogami and Tone were sunk and the Hiryu got hit hard. On the other hand, he now has all of the North Island of NZ except for Auckland and I have lost a lot trying to hold on to Auckland. Got to keep the Kiwi's in the game.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 2242
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/20/2010 7:45:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

I nearly cried. I would have had I not been raised in Spartan household. And I don't mean limited furniture either. My mom is half Spartan on her dad's side. I slept on a plaster slab unitl I moved out to college. Salted beef twice a day, maybe a handful of beans. Sandals all the time, even in the winter. It was Hell but it steeled me to adversity.

So, Cap'n...do you like movies about Gladiators? You ever been in a Turkish prison?

Post #: 2243
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/21/2010 12:51:40 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

quote:

btw...what happened to the Sran wrap

I think it's in the side yard in a pile of you know what. I don't intend on looking for it

Post #: 2244
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/21/2010 2:11:31 AM   
Cap Mandrake

*************June 2, 1942**************

La Foa: The Japs softened up La Foa with several dozen bomber sorties then attacked with nearly 80,000 LYB's. Remarkably, they achieved EXACTLY 1:1 (1270:1270). It couldn't be 1269:1270 or 1271:1270 just to make me feel better.

Too bad! Another 1:2 would have been nice. The end is nigh. They are shooting down some of the PBY's coming in to pull troops out.

The LYB's took about 1000 KIA's and will probably have to wait a few days to attack again....but maybe not.

There are many new Jap units and there force is impressive:

3 full infantry divisions: 14th, 4th, 48th
7 individual Infantry Regiments
2 Infantry Brigade (4th) and Gds Mixed-up Brigade
Guard's Tank Division...are you kidding me? What is this Kharkov?
A ****load of naval Guard units
and some serious Arty (including seige artillery)

Norfolk Is.:
7 B-17's raided the field, destroying one Betty. I need to kill the Bettys as they are a hazard to shipping near Auckland. The loading of the amphibious TF at Suva is turning into a cluster ****. I might have to try to take Norfolk with only one regiment.

Burma Somewhere: Admiral Lord Sprior ambushed a bunch of Sallys with some snazzy new Hurricanes.

Darwin: The Japs bombed their own future airfield. B-17's now operating from Dusty Springfield.

Katherine: Two new LYB ground units seen. Spotted forces are at least 4 1/2 division equivalents. When these units all unite and move the 40 miles to Katherine, it is going to be like Gozira stomping on Tokyo apartment buildings. I am thingking the subterfuge thing at Darwin is now secondary to getting our boys out.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 10/21/2010 2:14:28 AM >

Post #: 2245
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/21/2010 2:17:58 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

So, Cap'n...do you like movies about Gladiators? You ever been in a Turkish prison?

We used to DREAM of living in a Turkish prison.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2246
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/21/2010 2:21:03 AM   
Onime No Kyo

While reading the manual (I know its a revolutionary notion Cap) I saw mention of bonus unit activations if the enemy crosses into Southern Australia (wherever that is). Would anyone know what these would ammount to and if it might be worth it to let the LYBs down there and then pound the stuffing out of them?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 2247
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/21/2010 11:54:59 AM   
sprior

quote:

I am thingking the subterfuge thing at Darwin is now secondary to getting our boys out

You're right, it's time for the Dusty Springfield Steeplechase.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 2248
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/21/2010 1:49:38 PM   
Itdepends

quote:

"The 1938 series was high-scoring affair with many high-scoring draws, resulting in a 1–1 result, Australia retaining the Ashes"

"The Ashes resumed after the war when England toured in 1946–47, and as in 1920–21, found that Australia had made the best post-war recovery"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 2249
RE: Lips are sealed - 10/21/2010 3:39:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

quote:

"The 1938 series was high-scoring affair with many high-scoring draws, resulting in a 1–1 result, Australia retaining the Ashes"

"The Ashes resumed after the war when England toured in 1946–47, and as in 1920–21, found that Australia had made the best post-war recovery"

Ahh...I wondered why "Ashes" was captialized. I thought Admiral Lord Sprior was talking about the LYB's gaining control of a gutted Darwin.

Now I see it is some kind of "sporting" event where one needs a shot of espresso every 5 minutes to stay awake.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 2250
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Lips are sealed Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI