Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help the Hornet??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Help the Hornet?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help the Hornet?? - 1/8/2010 2:54:00 PM   
ETF

Ok in my PBEM I have the Hornet just outside Cristobal. I must have changed something. It seems to be stuck. It has 300/9999 in red for range. I have have changed home ports on and off the map. I have changed threat levels and movement styles to every level....safe, normal etc. Still has the red 300/9999 is it still moving? I was 5 days out from Cristobal now it says nothing. Is it still moving to Cristobal? I have tried on board ports as home port also no luck. It has been 2 turns no change.......
Can you help me save the hornet :)

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Post #: 1
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/8/2010 2:58:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

Ok in my PBEM I have the Hornet just outside Cristobal. I must have changed something. It seems to be stuck. It has 300/9999 in red for range. I have have changed home ports on and off the map. I have changed threat levels and movement styles to every level....safe, normal etc. Still has the red 300/9999 is it still moving? I was 5 days out from Cristobal now it says nothing. Is it still moving to Cristobal? I have tried on board ports as home port also no luck. It has been 2 turns no change.......
Can you help me save the hornet :)

The only time I've seen those red results recently is sometimes when I choose "Safest" route. Reducing it to "Safer" fixes it.

I did see what you're describing once, with a CV from off-map, after Patch 1, but before PAtch 2. I told it to return to its home port, it did (at the loss of a week), and then I re-sent it to PH and it worked. I'm not sure turning it around whil in th etransit box works anymore after all the patches and hot fixes.

Maybe go back to an earlier save if all else fails?

The Moose

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 2
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/8/2010 3:08:03 PM   
Don Bowen

This might be it: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2179384

There are issues with turning around a TF when in an off-map pipeline. Lots of conditions, many work, some don't - best to never do it. Been like this since original release, when the "some don't" raised their ugly heads. Very difficult to address - off map TFs are, well, off map. They do not have actual x,y coordinates and their relationship to the map is maintained by calculations involving the arrival point/departure point on the actual map and the distance traveled/to travel. There is (a lot) of code to handle such routings but it has been found to have holes the size of (exageration of your choice) when basic control values are invalidated.

Hard to tell what might happen. Post a save in the tech support forum and I'll take a look (probably tomorrow).

< Message edited by Don Bowen -- 1/8/2010 3:14:18 PM >

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 3
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/8/2010 4:39:38 PM   
ETF

Man of all the ships for this to happen to!! :)
How do I attach a file again?

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 4
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/8/2010 8:59:19 PM   
FAdmiral

I am getting the same thing with my game (Allied vs. Axis AI) The Hornet appeared in Eastern port. I sent it to
Cristobal alone. After arrival, I linked up with a CL & 6 AVDs that were there. Now on my way to San Diego, I
get the RED endurance numbers which are 92/9945. It says I will get to on-map in 4 days. I also have 2 Gato
subs on route to SD which are in RED too with 238/9957. It says 6 day arrival for them. I hope if I just let them
go that they will arrive in the time specified. I did not reverse either of these 2 TFs. I only added ships to the
Hornet & the subs were linked together and sent after they arrived in game.

JIM

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 5
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/8/2010 9:01:41 PM   
Andy Mac

Ah that sounds liek you are in an off map box without enough fuel to get to your location thats a bad thing to do

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 6
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/8/2010 9:12:04 PM   
FAdmiral

That might have been that way but all ships & subs in question were 100% full of fuel before leaving. Both TFs were set to "cruise" also so there was nothing else that the game allows that could have been done to correct it !!!

JIM

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 7
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/8/2010 9:23:45 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAdmiral

That might have been that way but all ships & subs in question were 100% full of fuel before leaving. Both TFs were set to "cruise" also so there was nothing else that the game allows that could have been done to correct it !!!

JIM

Did the TF "Merge" while in off-map box transit?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 8
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/9/2010 12:45:25 AM   
FAdmiral

Nope, no merging was ever done. The 2 subs (Gato) were put into TF right after arriving and immediately
sent onto the map to SD. The Hornet arrived at the Eastern Port, was sent to Cristonal alone. When it arrived
there, the other ships were included into the TF from the port. It was then sent to Balboa thru the Panama
Canal. After arriving there, it was sent on to SD. Nothing unsual, just ordinary movement. I suspect something
in the off-map coding needs a hotfix !!!

JIM

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 9
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/9/2010 3:17:11 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

You use the "Embed picture in post". Only certain file types can be attached. Best is to zip the save (changing to a .zip), then click "embed picture in post" checkbox, then "click here to upload".

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 10
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/9/2010 2:39:02 PM   
ETF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

You use the "Embed picture in post". Only certain file types can be attached. Best is to zip the save (changing to a .zip), then click "embed picture in post" checkbox, then "click here to upload".

Ok I tried it several ways with embeded pic or not with rar'ing it and without. Still get C:\fakepath\wpae020.pws??

Argh. Sorry any other ideas. Have winrar. Not sure would Zip file be any different than a rar file? Don can I email it to you buddy? Thanks so much.

Twitter

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 11
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/9/2010 2:39:40 PM   
ETF

No Sir fuel was not an issue. Thanks though for the feedback.

Twitter

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 12
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/9/2010 2:45:52 PM   
Don Bowen

1. Make a copy of wpae020.pws in a working directory.
2. Rename that copy to wpae020.zip.
3. Post it.
4. Note in the post that the save is renamed and not zipped.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 13
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/9/2010 3:31:11 PM   
ETF

Ok just point 2 if I use embeded pic it only allows 500kb. Will this cause a problem..... I will give it a whirl.. Thanks

Twitter

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 14
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/9/2010 3:35:10 PM   
ETF

hmmm interesting never had a problem with uploading files before on other sites ....PLaced a copy of wpae020.zip into the save game directory of witpae. Tried uplaoding it via that location still get the fake path thing. Tried it again with the embedded pic and received the same error. DRAT. Any other ideas where I might be screwing this up.

Twitter

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 15
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/9/2010 3:38:04 PM   
Don Bowen

Be sure you are unloading to a thread in the Tech support forum. It allows larger attachments.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 16
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/9/2010 5:52:21 PM   
ETF

Ok sir I will try that thanks.

Twitter

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 17
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/11/2010 8:43:47 PM   
FAdmiral

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAdmiral

I am getting the same thing with my game (Allied vs. Axis AI) The Hornet appeared in Eastern port. I sent it to
Cristobal alone. After arrival, I linked up with a CL & 6 AVDs that were there. Now on my way to San Diego, I
get the RED endurance numbers which are 92/9945. It says I will get to on-map in 4 days. I also have 2 Gato
subs on route to SD which are in RED too with 238/9957. It says 6 day arrival for them. I hope if I just let them
go that they will arrive in the time specified. I did not reverse either of these 2 TFs. I only added ships to the
Hornet & the subs were linked together and sent after they arrived in game.

JIM

OK, my 2 TFs are now about 1 & 3 days away from exiting on the map. I have been watching their progress every
turn (1 day). What it seems to me is that the rate of fuel consumption is at fault here. The game is thinking that
because of it, the TFs won't get to their destination without running out. Both TFs are burning daily fuel at a very
accelerated rate. I suspect maybe a programming error if off-map TFs are changed in certain ways. Most of my
other TFs off-map that were not changed are operating normal.

JIM

< Message edited by FAdmiral -- 1/11/2010 8:44:55 PM >

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 18
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/12/2010 2:03:05 PM   
xj900uk

Maybe it's run aground on an uncharted reef off-map?

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 19
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/12/2010 7:10:36 PM   
FAdmiral

OK, my Hornet Air TF made it to San Diego and refueled there. So much for getting on the map.
My Sub TF still has a few days to go and I will check their fuel status when they get on map to
see if it remains the same (subs are going to Mare Island)

JIM

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 20
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/13/2010 4:11:06 PM   
Drambuie

Had a similar incident with Hornet - sent it to Cape Town (but forgot to change the home port/or it wouldn't let me can't remember which) and then it reached there only to refuel and turn around!!

Most annoying. Only thing I seemed to be able to do was let it carry on all the 20+days back to Eastern USA and then sort it out.

I like the off-map idea as it feels more like you're part of a world at war but did find that annoying/frustrating as it meant 40+ dys that Hornet was floating around out of my reach.

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 21
RE: Help the Hornet?? - 1/13/2010 5:19:37 PM   
crsutton

Happened to me as well. Don't worry, she will eventually move onto the map and then operate normally. Just don't make any changes to off map units once they are moving in the future. You should be OK.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Drambuie)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Help the Hornet?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI