Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yet Another Wishlist...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Yet Another Wishlist... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/13/2010 2:21:12 AM   
E

1. Option for detailed pop-up combat reporting for only one side... my side (the good guys of course!). I like and use detailed pop-up reporting when it's my turn, but would prefer to walk away while the evil nasty P.O. (the bad guys!) does it's turn (doing the menu bar thing to turn it on and off between turns isn't convenient enough for my lazy #@@ *grin?*).

2. A way to toggle directly between counters being displayed and counters being hidden (i.e. a quicker big picture terrain check) ...and back.
Post #: 1
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/13/2010 2:47:52 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: E
Option for detailed pop-up combat reporting...

I'd like to see some detailed combat reporting during the playback. As it is now we're just told that a combat occurred in hex x,y

(in reply to E)
Post #: 2
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/13/2010 3:06:33 PM   
macgregor

IIRC originally toaw did allow one to view combat results during playback. Hopefully it won't be too much work.
Navint and an ASW values are still my main concerns. if individual ship speeds are not implemented, perhaps the addition of a NAVINT(naval intercept) value could be given to ships/fleets, perhaps aircraft as well, allowing scen designers to represent speed in that way. Naval and air units on such a mission would react to enemy movement based on distance and NAVINT value. Just another thought Ralph. I'm not sore at the game progress, just watching and waiting like everybody else -not that you said I was. I just don't want to be counted among the 'sore guns' -unless you know something I don't. I know you've spent some time on this. Apart from the implementation of a combat sequence and formula, I would hope it wouldn't be that much work. As long as people are going to post their wishlist desires, I'm obligated to include my 2 cents.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 1/13/2010 3:22:37 PM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/22/2010 6:06:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

And another thing......I could really use a "grease pencil" function so that I could "draw" a red circle around active enemy arty tubes and green circles around those I've already unentrenched.  As it is now I save a screenshot of the area and circle those in the picture.  It would be a lot faster to be able to do it in the game instead.  And maybe a toggle to turn on/off the grease pencil marks.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 4
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/23/2010 1:48:03 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

And another thing......I could really use a "grease pencil" function so that I could "draw" . . .

Larry

That’s a really novel and interesting idea. Use of this feature would only be limited by the player’s imagination and needs. I can see people marking defensive lines, lines of march, formation movements, air strikes, amphibious movements . . . most anything a real commander would plot on the battle map. Great suggestion.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 5
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/23/2010 2:22:32 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
Larry
That’s a really novel and interesting idea. Use of this feature would only be limited by the player’s imagination and needs. I can see people marking defensive lines, lines of march, formation movements, air strikes, amphibious movements . . . most anything a real commander would plot on the battle map. Great suggestion.

I got the idea by thinking back to my days in Army ROTC class where we would use overlays ( clear plastic a little stiffer / heavier than surran wrap ) and marking on it in grease pencil different colors for different purposes so that nothing at all goes on the 'main' map and the overlays become top secret for the duration of the operation. And yes, I thought it was a great suggestion too. Now if we could only get it implemented.

The uses are unlimited actually. You can layout routes of march, stop lines for assaults, staging areas for the next push, known enemy positions, etc. Different colored grease pencils would be a plus.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 6
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/23/2010 12:48:37 PM   
golden delicious

Third that, Larry. Also I imagine once it's coded, you could allow several layers which could be toggled on and off as the player desires. Then allow the designer to add his layers and...

As you say, limitless possibilites. One could show historical battle plans, label large terrain features, mark event radii, demarcate stop lines....

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 7
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/23/2010 10:21:44 PM   
Telumar

Great idea, Larry! I think it should not be that difficult to code. One should bring this forward to Ralph. Ben, aren't you in the BETA team?

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 8
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/24/2010 12:02:42 AM   
rhinobones

It will be interesting to see how you incorporate this feature into your FitE AAR movies. Should also make for some really good screen shots.

Most people probably don't know that you were a Nam C-130 gunner . . . is that a 105 shooting out of the tail?

Regards, RhinoBones

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Post #: 9
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/24/2010 2:03:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

Yeah that's a 105mm Howitzer and the guy in the middle is stuffing the chamber with a 42 lb 105 shell.  The gun recoils about 2 ft because they monkey'd with the recoil mechanism to save wear and tear on the plane.  Also the muzzle has to be depressed at least 15 degrees else the blast overpressure can damage the flaps on the left wing.  I was the guy on the right that took the spent shells out of the chamber and threw it into an empty 55 gal. barrel painted red.  Why did they paint them red?  We flew every other night.  The night you didn't fly you loaded the ammo on the plane.  See the rack behind the guys?  That's the rack that holds the 105mm bullets.   The guy on the left next to the 105 is the guy that switches the master arm switch off and on.  Off to load and on just before firing.  So that switch gets a workout most of the time.  Wears out soon.  The curtains next to the ammo rack are flak curtains.  That slows down the schrapnel so that it just enters your body instead of passing all the way though.  LOL.  The skin on the plane is so thin you can stick a screwdriver through it and there's no place to hide so most of the gunners just kneel down next to the gun whenever we get shot at by AAA.  It's the most massively sturdy thing on the entire plane including the engines.  I started writing a book about Spectre gunners one time.  Stopped after the first 6 chapters....it was bringing back memories I didn't want to remember.  You can find the book at this URL:

http://www.the-strategist.net/~larry/resume.html

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 10
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/24/2010 2:37:37 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

And another thing......I could really use a "grease pencil" function so that I could "draw" a red circle around active enemy arty tubes and green circles around those I've already unentrenched.  As it is now I save a screenshot of the area and circle those in the picture.  It would be a lot faster to be able to do it in the game instead.  And maybe a toggle to turn on/off the grease pencil marks.

Item 13.39 in the Wishlist.

Post #: 11
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/24/2010 2:41:12 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

1. Option for detailed pop-up combat reporting for only one side... my side (the good guys of course!). I like and use detailed pop-up reporting when it's my turn, but would prefer to walk away while the evil nasty P.O. (the bad guys!) does it's turn (doing the menu bar thing to turn it on and off between turns isn't convenient enough for my lazy #@@ *grin?*).

Item 13.9.6 in the Wishlist.

quote:

2. A way to toggle directly between counters being displayed and counters being hidden (i.e. a quicker big picture terrain check) ...and back.

Spacebar now does this in 3.4

(in reply to E)
Post #: 12
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/24/2010 2:42:35 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I'd like to see some detailed combat reporting during the playback. As it is now we're just told that a combat occurred in hex x,y

Item 13.40 in the Wishlist.

Post #: 13
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/24/2010 3:19:35 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey Curtis Lemay:
Thanks for these two guys:

Item 13.39 in the Wishlist.
Item 13.40 in the Wishlist.

Muchly.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 14
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/24/2010 6:00:41 AM   
rhinobones

Larry - from me to you . . .

Semper Fidelis

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

Post #: 15
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/24/2010 8:53:39 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
Larry - from me to you . . .
Semper Fidelis
Regards, RhinoBones

Thanks. And by the way.....thank you for your service in the USMC. Somebody thanked me for my service in the USAF (finally) in 2005. I didn't have the heart to tell them it was way too futher mucking little way too futher mucking late. I met a Korea veteran in the hospital one time and he was telling me that when he came home after the war there was nothing on the news ( TV ), nothing in the papers, no parade....nothing. Some 'Nam veteran standing next to me said: "well at least we got spit on....you didn't get anything."

That just about sums up the whole situation. I haven't forgiven Joe Sixpack or Mary bathrobe for that 'homecomming' yet.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 16
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/27/2010 10:35:58 PM   
dicke bertha

Curtis, so it is in the wish list. I think this is a pretty outstanding idea myself and I salute Larry for it. I've outlined similar ideas. Since you're on the development team in some function, I think it would be fair to indicate how well a certain idea is received by you, and also within the group and how likely it is to get attention. This wish list itemization doen't tell much about which way TOAW is heading. But maybe I've missed something in the way the official communication about development is set up.

Post #: 17
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/28/2010 5:40:32 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Item 13.9.6 in the Wishlist.

I did not see an official wishlist on the developer's blog... so I didn't know there was one. I was more musing "out loud" as I know Ralph sometimes posts around here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Spacebar now does this in 3.4

Then let me correct that one to...

2. Having 3.4 *grin*

And amend one more..

3. What Larry said (greaseboard). *grin*

Post #: 18
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/28/2010 8:48:22 AM   
parmenio

quote:

I did not see an official wishlist on the developer's blog... so I didn't know there was one. I was more musing "out loud" as I know Ralph sometimes posts around here.

I think the wishlist here is as official as it gets. If you're talking about what is going to be in 3.4 then the draft readme from April last year is as close as it gets...

3.4.0.79 DRAFT readme

... and it could probably do with an update.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 19
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/28/2010 11:31:27 AM   
macgregor

It's not like this patch is coming out tomorrow, and apparently Ralph hasn't done anything to improve larger scenarios(again) nixing the naval completely. Should I be surprised? No. I think they should just make TOAW for the eastern front. Matrix could then have a category; 'eastern front' games; all displaying precisely the same conflict, and then comparison shop. While those of us interested more in other scenarios pray for a new game elsewhere. I guess this is what the 'sore gun' comment was about as Ralph indeed knew something I didn't. E tu brut.

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 20
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/28/2010 1:18:40 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

It's not like this patch is coming out tomorrow, and apparently Ralph hasn't done anything to improve larger scenarios(again) nixing the naval completely. Should I be surprised? No. I think they should just make TOAW for the eastern front. Matrix could then have a category; 'eastern front' games; all displaying precisely the same conflict, and then comparison shop. While those of us interested more in other scenarios pray for a new game elsewhere. I guess this is what the 'sore gun' comment was about as Ralph indeed knew something I didn't. E tu brut.

Well, if you're looking for a naval simulation there's better options out there, other than TOAW, such as this:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/NavCamp/GUAD/guad.html

Now, what this patch shows is that the model of development for TOAW is wrong, and if Matrix does intend to pull out a TOAW 4 (I very much doubt so) they need to revamp the devlopment team, since if it takes 2 years to pull out a patch, with some changes to the ngine, but , no radical changes whatsoever, just imagine how long it would take to pull out a game... (Combined Arms springs to mind).

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 21
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/28/2010 2:30:18 PM   
macgregor

I've done all I can for this game, and there are many less vocal that feel as I do. I've even connected matrix with a game developer. Unfortunately, it was not for this game. It looks like I'm facing yet several more years of frustration from Matrix. I guess I'd better get started venting some of it.

BTW was that comment supposed to be cheeky jmlima? Regardless I'm not amused. You know friggin well what I'm looking for and it's not a *** **** naval simulator!

2 mf'in things; a naval reaction based on a navint value and an ASW value for units. THAT'S IT! I've designed it. I've typed enough print to tackle the code myself longhand, and read enough posts to wonder if I'd been better off reading books on computer programming. of course in the time I've waited ,i could have a degree by now. I'm sick of the run-a-round. Ralph designs this game in every direction except the one we asked him to.

Consider this my formal request for a new TOAW developer Dave and Erik as I am not happy with Ralph.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 1/28/2010 3:24:20 PM >

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 22
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/28/2010 3:13:50 PM   
Panama

Not sure what you mean about the East Front comment. The map works ok at 10km per hex. Might be better with another few rows but nothing drastic.

The unit count in an East Front campaign scenario suffers greatly from the 2k limit. But then again, if you look at all the transitions and changes and Shtats, even if you represented the conflict at regimental level you would need several thousand more counters. I don't think a 10k counter mix for the Soviets would be too far off. 2k would go for the artillery alone. I guess you could do a good job keeping it at divisiional/brigade with 4k.

As far as naval, the game engine was never meant to depict that as anything more than it is now. Same with air. Since those things, if better modeled, would add more detail to a turn I really don't think I would care for more. I can't imagine playing an East Front or West Front campaign with all that thrown in. It would take longer to play the scenario than the actual war took.

I could support a little larger map, maybe another 50 rows and columns. I could support more counters, maybe another 1 or 2k. Neither would be difficult, IMO and could have been completed long ago with a minor patch. But to be honest, anything more would make a scenario unplayable simply because of the size.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 23
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/28/2010 3:20:32 PM   
macgregor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama
As far as naval, the game engine was never meant to depict that as anything more than it is now. Same with air. Since those things, if better modeled, would add more detail to a turn I really don't think I would care for more. I can't imagine playing an East Front or West Front campaign with all that thrown in. It would take longer to play the scenario than the actual war took.

That's a sweet interpretation of what I requested e.g.-a naval reaction based on a navint value and an ASW value for units. And which are you? Part of the development team or Matrix staff?

What's that Ralph? ...and the horse I rode in on? But I don't ride a horse!

< Message edited by macgregor -- 1/28/2010 3:25:56 PM >

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 24
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/28/2010 3:34:59 PM   
Panama

Perhaps you ARE the horse. South end. j/k

No, not part of the development team. Sorry about that. That would indicate that I actually had a job now which would be a good thing.

One thing I've noticed about this forum. Alot of name calling and hate, oh the hate. Not dislike, but true unadulterated hate. It's quite sad really.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 25
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/28/2010 3:38:58 PM   
macgregor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama
One thing I've noticed about this forum. Alot of name calling and hate, oh the hate. Not dislike, but true unadulterated hate. It's quite sad really.

Amen. Though the words I tolerate. It's the actions that get you.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 1/28/2010 3:39:09 PM >

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 26
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/29/2010 3:27:54 AM   
desert

quote:

It gives the forum a lot of personality.

"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 27
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/29/2010 6:26:49 AM   
berto

quote:

... apparently Ralph hasn't done anything to improve larger scenarios(again) nixing the naval completely. Should I be surprised? No. I think they should just make TOAW for the eastern front...

I can't comment on what Ralph has or hasn't done. But I can say that I, too, have no interest in East Front TOAW (or West Front TOAW either); I'm interested in East Asia TOAW, primarily WWII Pacific Theater.

Unlike WITP/AE and UV, which focus on naval (and air) warfare and shortchange land combat, I prefer TOAW's emphasis on land operations. But TOAW's naval (and air) aspects could be fixed/improved still.

Oops. Did I just step into another minefield?

< Message edited by berto -- 1/29/2010 6:32:59 AM >

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 28
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/29/2010 1:15:14 PM   
macgregor

With the perspective a day gives, I'm okay with the venting I've done. I am frustrated with the direction, or lack of with regards to the wishlist.
perhaps the pace, but mostly because it appears as though Ralph is part of this Eastern Front gang that decided they liked the way TOAW displays the eastern front WW2 apparently better than the myriad of games matrix already offers on the scenario. There's a lot of favoritism going on and it stinks. That scenario is being accommodated above all others. I'm not so sure that once Ralph has the Russian front issues solved, including every little whim his clique is still coming up with, that he may tell Matrix he's too busy at work, leaving this hodge-podge to the next developer. As it stands now, I don't believe that there has been ANY discussion of what Ralph is planning with regards to anything BUT the Eastern front gang's issues and looking at the patch description, it shows.

I know matrix is not a democracy and that my vote means nothing, but for what it's worth, I want someone else developing this game.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 29
RE: Yet Another Wishlist... - 1/29/2010 1:27:31 PM   
jmlima

quote:

I know matrix is not a democracy and that my vote means nothing, but for what it's worth, I want someone else developing this game.

In all fairness , I think you're pointing batteries at the wrong target, have a look at the whislist thread and you'll realize why I'm saying this.

BTW, I'm still not sure what you mean by 'East Front scenario', is there one in specific you're aiming at?

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Yet Another Wishlist... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI