Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 9:13:57 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anguille
Elliot...sometimes i get the feeling that you never sleep ;)

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 61
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 9:17:15 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg
No, your ships don't bombard enemy troops or population.

When attacking/invading a colony your ships are focussed on clearing defensive forces present in orbit, i.e. they take out defensive bases or space ports and any defending military ships. Your troop transport ships then drop off your troops onto the planet to battle it out with the defenders.

So you are forced to have alien scum into your empire?

Maybe some sort of fleet bombarding could be in an expansion pack.I think it is needed personally as I think it would be the more realistic option than landing troops.

That's a fair point.

But you also get bonuses from having other races in your empire. Once you reach certain population thresholds for a race, you get some of their racial bonuses for your empire.

You might also be able to build colony ships at a planet with another race and thus be able to colonize a new type of planet - some races can colonize inhospitable planet types, which is extremely useful.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 62
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 9:31:50 PM   
JosEPhII

quote:

quote:

When attacking/invading a colony your ships are focussed on clearing defensive forces present in orbit, i.e. they take out defensive bases or space ports and any defending military ships. Your troop transport ships then drop off your troops onto the planet to battle it out with the defenders.

Maybe some sort of fleet bombarding could be in an expansion pack.I think it is needed personally as I think it would be the more realistic option than landing troops.

Ash old buddy your Xenophobia is showing! Again!

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 63
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 9:43:10 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

quote:

quote:

Ash old buddy your Xenophobia is showing! Again!

JosEPh

Yeah but really it is about roleplaying races.No Dalek is gonna take prisoners.

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 64
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 10:05:52 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deomrve
quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP
quote:

ORIGINAL: Deomrve

How do you conquer planets? Build troops then drop them on a planet, then have it automatically resolved or will there be some form of planetary tactical combat.

Conquer planets by military force or\and trade deals. There is not any micromanaged warfare other than directing your military ships.

What do mean by Military force?

By the timing of putting your military ships at the points where they are needed. A lot of things can happen in this game that catch you by surprise, at least it did me. Not so much now because I learned early to have military support at each planet. Pirates, alien races, and space scum (Giant Kaltors and Slugs) can hit you suddenly and your planetary control is gone if you are not supportive. It's a lot cheaper to build protective ships than it is to try and get a planet back.

(in reply to Deomrve)
Post #: 65
RE: Question - 1/19/2010 3:21:55 AM   
lwarmonger

quote:

That's a fair point.

But you also get bonuses from having other races in your empire. Once you reach certain population thresholds for a race, you get some of their racial bonuses for your empire.

You might also be able to build colony ships at a planet with another race and thus be able to colonize a new type of planet - some races can colonize inhospitable planet types, which is extremely useful.

Are alien races more difficult to control and/or keep happy?

If I have 6 worlds colonized, and then conquer 8 alien systems with an overall higher population than me, am I going to have significant difficulties keeping them from revolting to form their own nation?

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 66
RE: Question - 1/19/2010 3:52:20 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: lwarmonger

If I have 6 worlds colonized, and then conquer 8 alien systems with an overall higher population than me, am I going to have significant difficulties keeping them from revolting to form their own nation?

Not really. By design, once you colonize a planet, all the races there respond the same to your efforts to keep them happy. I thought it would make things too difficult to manage otherwise.

There is one exception to this: when you are at war with an empire of their race then those colonies (with the same dominant race as your enemy) will get upset. You can usually still keep them happy by lowering taxes and so forth, but they won't like you warring with their race.

(in reply to lwarmonger)
Post #: 67
RE: Question - 1/19/2010 1:39:29 PM   
lwarmonger

quote:

quote:

Not really. By design, once you colonize a planet, all the races there respond the same to your efforts to keep them happy. I thought it would make things too difficult to manage otherwise.

There is one exception to this: when you are at war with an empire of their race then those colonies (with the same dominant race as your enemy) will get upset. You can usually still keep them happy by lowering taxes and so forth, but they won't like you warring with their race.

That makes sense. Will we be able to modify the triggers for events and such (ie make it so having a different race effects happiness, and likelyhood to revolt)?

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 68
RE: Question - 1/19/2010 4:42:01 PM   
Baleur

A followup to lwarmonger's question, are there settings for essentially "nullifying" the individual Race traits and such? (such as some being completely agressive, some being passive)
I love individual races in any game, but in 4x games (galciv2 as an example) i usually dont like that 1 race is always agressive, or that if i want to play a race with a certain visual style, it is a race that's hard to play any way other than its intended role.
For example in that game, i almost never got to play with the Drengin or Korrath, because i hated how they were always predetermined to be ultra-agressive. Thats why i also never picked them as opponents.
In the same way, i also didnt like how the other empires were set to their specific roles either, once you knew what race they were you knew how the game would play out (macro-style).

(in reply to lwarmonger)
Post #: 69
RE: Question - 1/19/2010 7:00:17 PM   
elliotg

quote:

That makes sense. Will we be able to modify the triggers for events and such (ie make it so having a different race effects happiness, and likelyhood to revolt)?

You can modify races and their personalities, but at this time you cannot modify this game mechanic.

Generally speaking, I'm happy to consider exposing various game settings as editable, as requested by players. But this would be later, in a patch.

(in reply to lwarmonger)
Post #: 70
RE: Question - 1/19/2010 7:01:22 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

A followup to lwarmonger's question, are there settings for essentially "nullifying" the individual Race traits and such? (such as some being completely agressive, some being passive)
I love individual races in any game, but in 4x games (galciv2 as an example) i usually dont like that 1 race is always agressive, or that if i want to play a race with a certain visual style, it is a race that's hard to play any way other than its intended role.
For example in that game, i almost never got to play with the Drengin or Korrath, because i hated how they were always predetermined to be ultra-agressive. Thats why i also never picked them as opponents.
In the same way, i also didnt like how the other empires were set to their specific roles either, once you knew what race they were you knew how the game would play out (macro-style).

Yes, you can edit all of the races in a simple text file. You can change their personality and bonuses to completely alter how they play, even setting all races to the same basic personality if you prefer.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 71
RE: Question - 1/22/2010 8:27:10 PM   
elmo3

The game looks finished.  What are we waiting for: the manual, Digital River to get their act together, the planets to align?

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 72
RE: Question - 1/22/2010 8:30:38 PM   
tgb

Yes. Some of us are real eager to sink our teeth into this.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 73
RE: Question - 1/22/2010 8:32:46 PM   
Baleur

Maby they're waiting til next week to release it along with Mass Effect 2

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 74
RE: Question - 1/22/2010 9:34:58 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

I am very eager for ME2 but I want this more.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 75
RE: Question - 1/22/2010 9:53:59 PM   
Epsilon

Most likely we're waiting for the game to hit retail shops, like gamestop.
Eventhough gamestop hates pc games, but... go figure :)

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 76
RE: Question - 1/23/2010 2:55:14 AM   
Baleur

quote:

quote:

I am very eager for ME2 but I want this more.

Same.. Maby its because with ME2 i know what to expect, this game is more of a potentially happy surprise =P

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 77
RE: Question - 1/24/2010 8:41:39 AM   
gunnergoz

I was very interested in the title until I saw it was real-time.  The video cinched it for me - particularly the battle sequences.  It is disappointing to see real-time games taking over this segment of the market.  Those of us who prefer turn based have to keep playing the old stand-bys but it would be nice to see some fresh blood in the genre.  After 50 or 60, click-fests and continuous action are the last thing you want to see in a game. 
I wish the game's design and production teams well and lots of commercial success, but at the same time I do hope that someone out there is listening...

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 78
RE: Question - 1/24/2010 3:05:40 PM   
LarryP

I feel the same way as you. I am a hard core TBS gamer too. However, Distant Worlds has a pause feature that allows you to do almost everything while stationary. It also has a speed control and you can slow the game down to a crawl. I have played DW at full speed (+4) and it still was not a clickfest for me. There were times that messages came in back to back at full speed, but other than that it was easily manageable.

Another item that allows for ease of management are the auto manage controls for several tasks. This lessens the micromanagement considerably, especially while learning the game. You can actually have everything set to auto and watch the game play itself pretty much, except when you need to answer alien races propositions of trade, threats, and deals.

I get overwhelmed with RTS games terribly. Even when I was in my 20's, I did not do so well with Pac-Man type games. I haven't changed much for the better either at 54. However, I never have felt overwhelmed with DW at all. It is a well balanced game I believe for RTS and TBS players alike. With proper adjustment of the managing controls, a player can get whatever they want.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 1/24/2010 3:38:17 PM >

(in reply to gunnergoz)
Post #: 79
RE: Question - 1/24/2010 3:18:55 PM   
PJL1973

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I feel the same way as you. I am a hard core TBS gamer too. However, Distant Worlds has a pause feature that allows you to do almost everything while stationary. It also has a speed control and you can slow the game down to a crawl. I have played DW at full speed (+2) and it still was not a clickfest for me. There were times that messages came in back to back at full speed, but other than that it was easily manageable.

Another item that allows for ease of management are the auto manage controls for several tasks. This lessens the micromanagement considerably, especially while learning the game. You can actually have everything set to auto and watch the game play itself pretty much, except when you need to answer alien races propositions of trade, threats, and deals.

I get overwhelmed with RTS games terribly. Even when I was in my 20's, I did not do so well with Pac-Man type games. I haven't changed much for the better either at 54. However, I never have felt overwhelmed with DW at all. It is a well balanced game I believe for RTS and TBS players alike. With proper adjustment of the managing controls, a player can get whatever they want.

That's good to hear, I'm not a fan of RTS games at all, unless is something like EU2, or the Setllers, so the fact you can do a lot when paused is great, not to mention the auto-features. Out of interest, what CAN'T you do while stationary?

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 80
RE: Question - 1/24/2010 3:58:39 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: PJL

Out of interest, what CAN'T you do while stationary?

I have the game paused right now and I went back into it after reading your post, and the only thing that doesn't happen is animation of movement (planet animation ring continues) and of course the flow of messages and any combat. As far as not being able to do anything? I'm able to manage everything and make all decisions as long as they don't require any interaction from other races.

If I find anything that I missed I will surely post here immediately.

(in reply to PJL1973)
Post #: 81
RE: Question - 1/24/2010 6:50:39 PM   
Anguille

I am a hard-core TBS player too but playing DW is smoother than Europa Universalis...

Honestly...no stress here...just fun.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 82
RE: Question - 1/25/2010 4:51:14 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judykator

In total, only war, no economy and the development of civilization

I think his original question was if there are more techs to research other than just ship parts?

I understand that the AI will develop it's own economy, but is it not reasonable to ask that there should be technology that can improve more aspect of your empire other than your military fleet.

For example MOO2 had many techs that made the production of food more efficient, to the point where you don't even need labor allocated to farming.

Or another tech from MOO2 allowed you to pick another 4 points of Racial bonuses, that makes the tech tree more varied and interesting.

I can understand the disappointment if it is only to research ship components.

(in reply to Judykator)
Post #: 83
RE: Question - 1/25/2010 4:54:21 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epsilon

Most likely we're waiting for the game to hit retail shops, like gamestop.
Eventhough gamestop hates pc games, but... go figure :)

Oh man I know, it is sad when Best Buy carries a better selection of PC games then Gamestop. EB Games still had love for PC Games, until they got bought out by Gamestop.

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 84
RE: Question - 1/25/2010 6:05:48 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn
I think his original question was if there are more techs to research other than just ship parts?

I understand that the AI will develop it's own economy, but is it not reasonable to ask that there should be technology that can improve more aspect of your empire other than your military fleet.

Some of the tech you research is related to your economy. E.g. better research laboratories, better command centers that lower maintenance costs, better commerce centers that increase trade revenue at your space ports, better mining components that allow faster mining, etc.

But these economy-related components still end up being built into your bases. E.g. there are dedicated research stations built at special locations in the galaxy, commerce centers built into your space ports, dedicated monitoring stations that give you scanner coverage of enemy systems, etc.

So these economy-related improvements that you gain through research are realized in-game by building bases that use the new tech.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 85
RE: Question - 1/25/2010 12:02:14 PM   
Andrew Brown

This looks like a fantastic game. I do have a question though - How much of the game is moddable?

For example, many space 4X games have cheap construction costs for ships and little or no maintenance costs, so that, after a while, space fleets can become huge, with thousands of warships. I prefer having a much smaller fleet of expensive, costly to maintain ships.

What are fleet sizes and maintenance costs (if there is maintenance) like in this game? Are construction (and if applicable, maintenance) costs moddable?

I already see that there is a slider for slowing down research speed - slow rates of research is another thing I strongly prefer in this type of game.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 86
RE: Question - 1/25/2010 2:05:54 PM   
hadberz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

This looks like a fantastic game. I do have a question though - How much of the game is moddable?

For example, many space 4X games have cheap construction costs for ships and little or no maintenance costs, so that, after a while, space fleets can become huge, with thousands of warships. I prefer having a much smaller fleet of expensive, costly to maintain ships.

What are fleet sizes and maintenance costs (if there is maintenance) like in this game? Are construction (and if applicable, maintenance) costs moddable?

I already see that there is a slider for slowing down research speed - slow rates of research is another thing I strongly prefer in this type of game.

Maintenance costs are dynamic based on the price of the required resources. I've not seen any direct way to mod the maintenance costs, but you can add extra mining stations with the in-game editor. The more mining stations producing resources the cheaper that resource will be. This would lower maintenance and ship building costs over time.

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 87
RE: Question - 1/25/2010 11:41:30 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz
Maintenance costs are dynamic based on the price of the required resources. I've not seen any direct way to mod the maintenance costs, but you can add extra mining stations with the in-game editor. The more mining stations producing resources the cheaper that resource will be. This would lower maintenance and ship building costs over time.

Thanks for the information. To follow up my question - can construction costs themselves be modified in the editor?

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 88
RE: Question - 1/25/2010 11:50:53 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

You can mod a lot of stuff, but much of the core game values are currently fixed.

There are maintenance costs for ships, bases, troops and spies. For ships and bases the maintenance costs are partially based on fluctuating resource prices, as indicated by hadberz. There's also a constant factor that determines the maintenance cost in relation to the ship purchase price.

This constant ship maintenance value is not currently moddable. However I'm very happy to open up this value and many others to modding in the future. After release all of you keen players can get a good idea of exactly which values you want to change and once we have some kind of list I'll extract those values into a text file so that they're moddable.

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 89
RE: Question - 1/26/2010 12:51:33 AM   
Andrew Brown

Thanks again for the information. Just to follow up some more...

quote:

You can mod a lot of stuff, but much of the core game values are currently fixed.

There are maintenance costs for ships, bases, troops and spies. For ships and bases the maintenance costs are partially based on fluctuating resource prices, as indicated by hadberz. There's also a constant factor that determines the maintenance cost in relation to the ship purchase price.

That all makes sense. My original question was about making ship construction costs higher, rather than maintenance costs (If maintenance costs are a fixed ratio then they would increase proportionally in any case).

So my interest would be in changing the construction costs.

Out of interest, how large do the fleets become in the game?

Also, spies are a pet hate of mine. Is it possible to mod these out of the game entirely (or at least minimise their existence somehow)?

Thanks.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI