Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: July 1945

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: July 1945 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: July 1945 - 11/30/2011 9:21:00 PM   
Jzanes

(July 1, 1945 con’t)

Mindanao/Celebes:

Rader has been trying to evac troops from Cagayan using barges. Allied naval bombers just sank most of them. I’ll be curious to see if Rader tries it again and commits some fighters to defend his barges.

Given the swift collapse of the Japanese positions in Java and Sumatra, I will probably advance towards Japan via the South China Sea and not thru the Philipines area. I will keep some air forces and light naval forces in this area for raiding, interdiction, and defense vs. Japanese raiders.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 331
RE: July 1945 - 11/30/2011 9:21:22 PM   
Jzanes

(July 1, 1945 con’t)

Gilbert Islands:

Tarawa was captured shortly after my last update and my troops are now prepping for their next targets. I’ve learned my lesson after getting a bloody nose in my invasions of the atolls of Tabiteau and Tarawa and will be waiting for my troops to get fully prepped before I try anymore atoll invasions. In the meantime, I will attack Kusaie Island and then Ponape. These are not atolls and it should be much easier to overcome their brigade sized garrisons.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 332
RE: July 1945 - 12/1/2011 9:35:38 AM   
obvert

It's great to get these lengthy updates! Even when the entire Japanese Empire is in collapse it's stunning how long it takes to actually move through all of these campaigns to retake occupied territory.

It must be good practice for your next GCs to work through the Gilberts with the small force you're using there. Almost like working on '43 tactics in '45.

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 333
RE: July 1945 - 12/1/2011 9:38:00 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jzanes

(July 1, 1945 con’t)

Gilbert Islands:

Tarawa was captured shortly after my last update and my troops are now prepping for their next targets. I’ve learned my lesson after getting a bloody nose in my invasions of the atolls of Tabiteau and Tarawa and will be waiting for my troops to get fully prepped before I try anymore atoll invasions. In the meantime, I will attack Kusaie Island and then Ponape. These are not atolls and it should be much easier to overcome their brigade sized garrisons.

Watch out that the shock attack is triggered not only in Atolls but also in small islands (don't know the specific thou)...think under the 30,000 limit the shock attack is triggered no matter what kind of atoll or island it is

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 334
RE: July 1945 - 12/1/2011 2:41:32 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

(July 1, 1945 con’t)

Gilbert Islands:

Watch out that the shock attack is triggered not only in Atolls but also in small islands (don't know the specific thou)...think under the 30,000 limit the shock attack is triggered no matter what kind of atoll or island it is

Right you are! Specific rule is A) all atolls regardless of size, and B) Islands of size 1 or 2. Note, under the new optional stacking limits that are supported in the Beta (and with an appropriate mod) it might be a little tough to gauge island size. Under the regular (old-style) stacking rules that would be islands with a capacity of 6,000 or 30,000.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 335
RE: July 1945 - 12/1/2011 5:41:59 PM   
Jzanes

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

(July 1, 1945 con’t)

Gilbert Islands:

Right you are! Specific rule is A) all atolls regardless of size, and B) Islands of size 1 or 2. Note, under the new optional stacking limits that are supported in the Beta (and with an appropriate mod) it might be a little tough to gauge island size. Under the regular (old-style) stacking rules that would be islands with a capacity of 6,000 or 30,000.

thanks guys. i didn't know that non-atolls could still require a shock attack. i'm pretty sure kusaie is a 30,000 capacity island so i'll have to wait and build some prep before i take that one on also. no biggy, as i will need a week or two to get all the troops together anyways.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 336
RE: July 1945 - 1/1/2012 7:52:48 AM   
Heeward

Interesting AAR - especially the effect of the house rule on fighter operations altitude vs maneuver band.

Given that he can rebuild his shattered land units with excess Supply / Heavy Industry / Vehicle Points with time, he just has to withdraw fragments of land units to reconstitute them.

Do you believe he is trying to withdraw whole units to the Home Islands / inner perimeter or just fragments.
Given you early lack of submarine / commerce campaign what do you estimate his HI / Vehicle / Resource / Fuel / Supply Reserves?

The Wake

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 337
RE: July 1945 - 1/1/2012 6:52:00 PM   
Jzanes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heeward

Interesting AAR - especially the effect of the house rule on fighter operations altitude vs maneuver band.

Given that he can rebuild his shattered land units with excess Supply / Heavy Industry / Vehicle Points with time, he just has to withdraw fragments of land units to reconstitute them.

Do you believe he is trying to withdraw whole units to the Home Islands / inner perimeter or just fragments.
Given you early lack of submarine / commerce campaign what do you estimate his HI / Vehicle / Resource / Fuel / Supply Reserves?

With the changes in the beta, you don't have to worry about saving fragments any longer. When a unit is destroyed, you can spend some PPs and the unit will pop up at the home base where you can rebuild it from scratch.

I imagine Rader has massive piles of all the key resources. At this point he's cutoff from all the key oil/resource centers except for Korea and the Phillipines.

The war has been going slow due to holiday trips and whatnot and we are now at July 19, 1945. I've been gobbling up all the lightly defended bases in Malaya, the DEI, Indochina-thailand, and China. The russians are slowly advancing towards Korea, are besieging Mukden, captured Harbin, and are about to capture Vladivostok. I will post a thorough update once I get the time and things start to get more interesting.

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 338
RE: July 1945 - 2/4/2012 3:49:34 PM   
obvert

Is this game still going? Curious what the status is now.

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 339
August 1945 - 2/6/2012 3:03:01 AM   
Jzanes

August 8, 1945

In the last month, there has been very little combat and the allies have swiftly gobbled up lightly held bases in the DEI, Thailand, Malaya, Indochina, and China.

Allied forces are prepping for targets on the road to the home islands. I plan to approach the home islands via Formosa and Okinawa. I will use allied held Chinese bases along the coast (Amoy, Wenchow, etc.) to provide LBA support for my attacks. Having noted the ease in which massed Japanese naval bombers get thru carrier CAP, I will be very wary in committing my carriers and depend on land based planes to do most of the work.

Supply is starting to run low in the Russian and Chinese theatres. I will be capturing Hong Kong/Canton shortly. I will use these ports to deliver massive quantities of supply to the mainland. Once I build up some massive supply dumps, I will start the strategic bombing campaign from large soviet and Chinese airbases.

I hope to reach a 2:1 victory point ratio by the end of 1945 and earn the “major victory”. The ratio is currently about 1.5:1 and climbing. I’ve gobbled up most of the easy points already but Formosa and Okinawa are worth a lotta points and should get me to my goal.

Here’s the overall map. You can see a few red dots in Sumatra and Indochina. These are cutoff bases that will be captured soon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 340
RE: August 1945 - 2/6/2012 3:03:42 AM   
Jzanes

(August 8, 1945 con’t)

Russian Theatre:

Rader has built up a strong line along the Korean border. I’m working on grabbing strongly held Mukden and Anshan north of the border. After that we’ll see if we can break thru into Korea but I suspect I’ll find it impossible to get 2:1 odds vs. big Japanese stacks in rough terrain. Rader has a huge army in the clear terrain hex of Antung but has brought in tons of AA units forcing my bombers to bomb from 20K+ feet. Even then, I’m able to inflict close to 1,000 casualties a day.

Once Shanghai and Hong Kong/Canton are secured, I plan to move in massive Chinese ground reinforcements. Perhaps, these hordes will allow me to breakthrough.

The Russian theatre is the one spot that Rader has committed any airpower over the last month. Every few turns, he sets up some CAP traps hoping to bloody my bombers. He usually rips up my Russian fighters but loses heavily to the American P47 and P51 sweeps. Bomber losses have been minimal.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 341
RE: August 1945 - 2/6/2012 3:04:30 AM   
Jzanes

(August 8, 1945 con’t)

China:

Shanghai is the only remaining Japanese strongpoint. It is currently being besieged by the Chinese. The rest of the Chinese army is either marching towards Shanghai or will be doing so as soon as they have captured their current target.

Hong Kong and Canton will act as the entry point for the western allies and their supply. American and British bombers have recently started bombing these bases from Hainan and Indochina.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 342
RE: August 1945 - 2/6/2012 3:05:09 AM   
Jzanes

(August 8, 1945 con’t)

Future Targets:

Once Hong Kong has been captured, the British will move on Formosa. I have been reconning Formosa and it is surprisingly very lightly held. Once Formosa is secure, the Americans will make their landings on Okinawa. I have yet to recon the Okinawan area.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 343
RE: August 1945 - 2/6/2012 3:05:49 AM   
Jzanes

(August 8, 1945 con’t)

South China Sea:

Over the last several weeks, I’ve been rapidly building up bases to the north and south of the South China Sea. In the north, the Americans are gathering their strength at Cam Ranh Bay, the British on Hainan, and a mixed US-ANZAC force on Borneo at Miri-Brunei. Each base is heavily protected by fighters and naval bombers.

As mentioned earlier, the northern US-British force will be attacking Formosa and Okinawa. The Borneo based force will act as a flank guard and grab bases on the minor philippine islands bordering on the south china sea. I don’t intend to make major moves vs. the big philippine islands unless they turn out to be very lightly held and Rader makes no moves to defend them.

No Japanese resistance in this area at all.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 344
RE: August 1945 - 2/6/2012 3:06:39 AM   
Jzanes

(August 8, 1945 con’t)

Pacific:

Kusaie Island was captured easily a couple weeks ago and is now the key allied hub in the central pacific. It turns out that Kusaie was big enough to allow me to land without being forced to do a shock attack. One of my upcoming targets, Ponape is the same size island. My current target of Nauru Island is an atoll and I will be forced to shock attack when I land next turn. I’ve brought a very large landing force with 70-100 prep points. Hopefully, I’ll be able to avoid the bloodbaths I suffered thru at Tarawa and Tabiteau.

No Japanese resistance in the Pacific for months now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 345
RE: July 1945 - 2/6/2012 3:10:04 AM   
Jzanes

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Is this game still going? Curious what the status is now.

Due to the demands of real life, we are only able to get out 2-3 turns a week and I anticipate the game will remain fairly quiet until we get to September 1945. By then I'll be in position to start my strategic bombing campaign and the invasion of Formosa/Okinawa.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 346
RE: July 1945 - 2/6/2012 3:19:29 AM   
obvert

It'll be interesting to contrast your patient approach and strategic bombing with the rader - Greyjoy game which has been so up and down and all or nothing. Look forward to update maps if you ever have a few spare moments.

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 347
RE: July 1945 - 2/6/2012 3:32:22 AM   
Jzanes

quote:

It'll be interesting to contrast your patient approach and strategic bombing with the rader - Greyjoy game which has been so up and down and all or nothing. Look forward to update maps if you ever have a few spare moments.

Slow and steady committment of overwhelming force is my victory plan. To be bold like Greyjoy has it's upside as we saw in his surprise invasion of Hokkaido but it also has it's downside as we saw when his carriers were recently savaged. My read of Rader suggests that he is much like the historical japanese high command and hopes to win the war with one great roll of the dice. I plan to frustrate him by steadily beating him down without ever giving him a chance to cause any serious harm to the allied war machine.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 348
RE: July 1945 - 2/6/2012 12:49:25 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Slow and steady committment of overwhelming force is my victory plan. To be bold like Greyjoy has it's upside as we saw in his surprise invasion of Hokkaido but it also has it's downside as we saw when his carriers were recently savaged. My read of Rader suggests that he is much like the historical japanese high command and hopes to win the war with one great roll of the dice. I plan to frustrate him by steadily beating him down without ever giving him a chance to cause any serious harm to the allied war machine.

I have always thought that he actually just wants to last until the absolute end with some fighting ability in tact. I'm sure he'd love the idea of 'one great roll of the dice' kind of victory, but I also think he might at least now realize that there is just too much stuff coming down the Allied industrial pipeline to really think of Japan actually winning in the endgame.

Your approach does seem to work though, even if it takes a while. I'm not sure I would have your patience, but it's admirable and good strategy in your game where you had so much to deal with early on.

(in reply to Jzanes)
Post #: 349
RE: July 1945 - 12/5/2012 1:14:22 AM   
bigred

Are u still playing?

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 350
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: July 1945 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI