Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of buying/a couple of questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Thinking of buying/a couple of questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/23/2010 3:42:48 AM   
Marshall Thomas

This game looks excellent and I'm thinking of buying soon.

What are the main design differences between WWII: Time of Wrath and Hearts of Iron III or Making History: The Calm and the Storm? Thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/23/2010 1:18:10 PM   
cpdeyoung

"IGoYouGo" is a big difference from HoI3 for example.  I prefer turn based games, ala good old board games, but even Wastelands is building a "paced pausable" game.

ToW has fairly quickly learned mechanics, and once learned the strategies that worked in WW2 work pretty well in the game.  This gets you into the war with facility, then all the strategic variations open up.

A lot of fun to be had here.

Chuck

(in reply to Marshall Thomas)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/23/2010 4:42:24 PM   
freeboy

this game is VERY basic... not a bad game but not nearly as in depth as wither your listed...This is a board and counter turn based game with all the advantages, and a simple model that can be learned easily.. what is your gaming level? Do you crave intense indepth games or prefer games that you can work through in a fwe hours time? Good luck

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/23/2010 5:07:07 PM   
Zakhal

This is my current favorite ww2 europe wargame and I have bought and played most such games. HoI is okay but it has too much stuff that distracts and the game engine has always felt a bit unsuitable for wargaming needs. 

If I was you I would buy all three.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 1/23/2010 5:08:06 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/23/2010 7:03:43 PM   
Marshall Thomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

this game is VERY basic... not a bad game but not nearly as in depth as wither your listed...This is a board and counter turn based game with all the advantages, and a simple model that can be learned easily.. what is your gaming level? Do you crave intense indepth games or prefer games that you can work through in a fwe hours time? Good luck

I like complicated (but playable), indepth games that last for a while. Europa Universalis is a good example of what I like; but I'm hesitant to try Hearts of Iron III until it's patched up or has an expansion. I want to buy a new game this weekend, but I haven't decided which one to buy. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance

< Message edited by Marshall Thomas -- 1/23/2010 7:06:27 PM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/23/2010 7:55:35 PM   
Chocolino

In addition to Chucks correct statement on IGOYOUGO, there is the obvious difference of a hex map in ToW versus "regions" in HOI. Both have their pros and cons. I happen to like the hex maps better because it allows for some additional tactical game.

But then HOI has other areas where if shines such as the detailed research tree to name just one. It is a matter of taste of course. (I played HOI2 a lot and are less familiar with HOI3)

Despite the relatively straightforward rules, ToW allows for rich and sometimes surprising gameplay in PBEM if you go against a creative opponent.

Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/24/2010 3:32:06 PM   
AH4Ever

Holding off on WWII:ToW might be the best choice right now, there are a couple of issues that need hot fixes.

JJMC

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

You weren't there Thursday... You MISSED it!

Post #: 7
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/24/2010 4:07:11 PM   
eric13

From my point of view , TOW is by far my best grand strategy computer wargame .
It succeeds in inventing new "old good boardgames" rules that seem to be quite historicaly "accurate" and in using computer to simplify all the complexity usually found in traditionals boardgames. 
It doesn't fall in the trap of simply computerizing boardgames rules ( like CWIE and CWIF did or try to do  ) and contains a nice part of operational level gaming that doesn't exist in games like HOI .

untill now, I didn't have so much crashes playing 1.7 ... 

(in reply to AH4Ever)
Post #: 8
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/24/2010 5:05:17 PM   
RandomAttack

IMO, it is a "good" game if you can suspend disbelief and just play it.  As soon as you start "questioning"/looking under the hood there are so many anomalies that it will drive you nuts.  And I find the naval portion frustrating to the point I wish I could just play with it "turned off" somehow. 

On the other hand, it is EXTREMELY open to mods.  This is a major plus given we all have such different expectations.  If this wasn't the case I would have already quit playing it.  But I don't mind modding it even though I probably spend more time tracking down anomalies than playing...

(in reply to eric13)
Post #: 9
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/24/2010 5:41:59 PM   
Harbinger

WWII Time of Wrath is a strategic, operational and tactical "What if" game of WWII in Europe. It has just enough detail to make it quite interesting without the heaviness of other titles. Somewhere between Beer & Pretzels and Grognard.

If you're looking for a game that allows multiple strategies, nearly limitless choices and "pull your hair out/fingernail biting" moments of panicked action......then, yes WWII ToW has it.

If you're looking for an in depth, historically accurate to the point of simulation type game, you may want to save your money. WWII Time of Wrath is neither.

< Message edited by Harbinger -- 1/24/2010 5:54:43 PM >

Assume nothing.

(in reply to RandomAttack)
Post #: 10
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/24/2010 6:17:09 PM   
Texashorns

I have played all three and like TOW better than the other two. I prefer igoyougo, hex based games. I like MH better than HOI. Although MH is turn based, I don't care for the economic detail, nor the area movement. TOW is like playing a table top hex and counter board game on computer. All personal preference of course.

Post #: 11
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/24/2010 9:31:13 PM   
Razz1

HOI 3 needs alot of work.

Too much management of the heiarchy of troops and not enough playing units vs units and fighting.

HOI 3 is less fun than HOI 2

I have played them all.

(in reply to Texashorns)
Post #: 12
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 1/26/2010 2:01:19 AM   
OmegaMan1

ToW is a great "beer and pretzels" game, lots to enjoy without having to read a manual before you play it. It is not as detailed, or realistic, as HoI. I enjoy both games for what they offer. So, to answer your question, buy ToW for an easy-to-play, "I-gotta-just-play-one-more-turn" experience, it will not disappoint!

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 13
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 10/30/2010 1:03:49 PM   
Magpius

go with S.O.t.P.
-damn I think I just replied to spam!
(getting late here)

< Message edited by Agent S -- 10/30/2010 1:04:48 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Thinking of buying/a couple of questions - 12/3/2010 11:39:51 AM   
Titan

Whats multiplyer like dave

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Thinking of buying/a couple of questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI