Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help On A/C/ Upgrades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Help On A/C/ Upgrades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 1/24/2010 9:05:34 PM   
byron13

I'm Allies in September '42, playing with player-defined upgrades off. I therefore am locked into historical upgrades. Most of my Marines are sitting around San Diego flying kites and paper airplanes because there aren't enough Wildcats and Dauntlesses to equip their squadrons. But that's a well-known issue.

I've never gotten WITP Tracker to work, and I'll guess I'll have to spend some concerted effort to get it up. I've surveyed my Army air units, and I find only one squadron that is not totally restricted that upgrades to P-38Fs: 35FG/39sqn. Odd since the production rate is so high. And I see only one squadron, 329FG/337sq, that arrives with the F. I suspect that some of my other units will, at some point, upgrade to the F, but I can't find them. So, for example, I may have a P-40E unit that shows the next upgrade as being to the P-40K, and what I can't see is that the second upgrade would be to the P-38F. In order to prioritize my upgrades to units that will ultimately upgrade to the F, freeing up more a/c for other units to upgrade to, I'm asking:

Can anyone tell me what squadrons, if any, have the P-38F in their upgrade path?
Post #: 1
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 1/24/2010 10:40:20 PM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

I'm Allies in September '42, playing with player-defined upgrades off. I therefore am locked into historical upgrades. Most of my Marines are sitting around San Diego flying kites and paper airplanes because there aren't enough Wildcats and Dauntlesses to equip their squadrons. But that's a well-known issue.

I've never gotten WITP Tracker to work, and I'll guess I'll have to spend some concerted effort to get it up. I've surveyed my Army air units, and I find only one squadron that is not totally restricted that upgrades to P-38Fs: 35FG/39sqn. Odd since the production rate is so high. And I see only one squadron, 329FG/337sq, that arrives with the F. I suspect that some of my other units will, at some point, upgrade to the F, but I can't find them. So, for example, I may have a P-40E unit that shows the next upgrade as being to the P-40K, and what I can't see is that the second upgrade would be to the P-38F. In order to prioritize my upgrades to units that will ultimately upgrade to the F, freeing up more a/c for other units to upgrade to, I'm asking:

Can anyone tell me what squadrons, if any, have the P-38F in their upgrade path?

You need to go into the Air pool in the reports and note what planes actually are being produced via factorys or have a replacement rate... because some types start with planes in pool and thats all.

Also types that are not being factory produced are in Red

You shouldn't seek nor expect to be able to upgrade every group...

You should seek to downgrade some units...
especially those stuck as west coast or restricted units so the better types are put in pool..
also groups that are to be withdrawn... unless you actually can get use out of them you might withdraw/disband earlier... early doing it may allow you to put them in pool...
if not you can gain extra PP's doing it earlier...

At the least don't upgrade units that will be withdrawn early..

And you should click on the plane type of next upgrade...if theres other types can upgrade to instead a list of them will show...so if you want to bypass p-40K just check for those which list p-38 as an option and set that as next upgrade.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 2
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 1/24/2010 10:57:32 PM   
bradfordkay

"And you should click on the plane type of next upgrade...if theres other types can upgrade to instead a list of them will show...so if you want to bypass p-40K just check for those which list p-38 as an option and set that as next upgrade. "

CmdrCain.... when you play with PDU off, you do not have this option. When you right click on the plane type of next upgrade it turns the upgrade option to off.

BTW: I am very interested in the answers to the OP's questions. I am also playing a PDUoff PBEM as the allies, and this is a very important concern.

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 1/24/2010 10:58:25 PM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 3
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 1/26/2010 5:39:30 AM   
byron13

bump. Anyone?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 4
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 1/26/2010 5:53:45 AM   
n01487477

For a variety of tech reasons Tracker donesn't get it 100% accurate and I'm working on doing just that (especially as the upgrade path changes each turn as new planes are unlocked and upgrades happen)...

But here is what I get from tracker right now

[edit]If you are having problems getting tracker to run, give some details in the tracker thread ..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 1/26/2010 5:54:22 AM >

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 5
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 1/27/2010 3:28:50 AM   
byron13

Thanks for the effort in posting the result from Tracker. Very, very much appreciated.

This is pretty much what I saw from a long, laborious working through all squadrons by hand. All of the 55th FG squadrons (3 of the 5) are, at least for the time being, absolutely restricted to the West coast. That may change, but right now they're not going to see any action. That leaves just two squadrons that upgrade to the F model. Given the production rate of the F, that seems too few. Later models of the P-38 have lower production rates but have to fill out more units. It looks like the screen you posted shows only the first round of upgrades. Without actually asking for you to do this, I'm wondering if Tracker shows subsequent upgrades as well - such as a P-43 that upgrades first to a P-39, then a P-40, and then to a P-38F. If I could find those units, I'd give them priority to get the P-40 so I can move them into P-38s sooner.

Yes, I need to work on tracker. I've tried several times and read and re-read some of the detailed instructions on the forum. My tired, rigid mind just doesn't get it to work. But, I intend to spend some time on it this weekend and give it another go. It looks to valuable to never use.

n01487477. Nice name. Your mother not like you or something?

Thanks again for the response

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 6
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 1/27/2010 3:38:12 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

Thanks for the effort in posting the result from Tracker. Very, very much appreciated.

This is pretty much what I saw from a long, laborious working through all squadrons by hand. All of the 55th FG squadrons (3 of the 5) are, at least for the time being, absolutely restricted to the West coast. That may change, but right now they're not going to see any action. That leaves just two squadrons that upgrade to the F model. Given the production rate of the F, that seems too few. Later models of the P-38 have lower production rates but have to fill out more units. It looks like the screen you posted shows only the first round of upgrades. Without actually asking for you to do this, I'm wondering if Tracker shows subsequent upgrades as well - such as a P-43 that upgrades first to a P-39, then a P-40, and then to a P-38F. If I could find those units, I'd give them priority to get the P-40 so I can move them into P-38s sooner.

Essentially it is not seamless to see all the paths, but I intend making it so in the near future... you can through tracker however look at what will upgrade to each type and then plan that way ... A bit long winded for now, but improvements are always coming
quote:

Yes, I need to work on tracker. I've tried several times and read and re-read some of the detailed instructions on the forum. My tired, rigid mind just doesn't get it to work. But, I intend to spend some time on it this weekend and give it another go. It looks to valuable to never use.

Check out the installation and setup pages and then post the error messages - if you have any into the Tracker thread - either Floyd or I will get you up and running
quote:

n01487477. Nice name. Your mother not like you or something?

Thanks again for the response

Damian

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 7
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 1/27/2010 2:19:05 PM   
timtom

39th FS is the only non-restricted sqn to use the -F. You don't actually get a lot of them as the run is short.  

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 8
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 2/4/2010 5:19:35 AM   
byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: timtom

39th FS is the only non-restricted sqn to use the -F. You don't actually get a lot of them as the run is short.  

Ah.

Will I ever have enough planes? (Rhetorical question)

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 9
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 2/4/2010 6:21:41 AM   
spence

quote:

Europe First!!! All your active USMC squadrons are raiding Schweinfurt ball bearings factories in the ETO.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 10
RE: Help On A/C/ Upgrades - 2/4/2010 1:17:23 PM   
byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

quote:

Europe First!!! All your active USMC squadrons are raiding Schweinfurt ball bearings factories in the ETO.

Ya know, this lack of a/c for the Marines so peeved me that I went to the website someone on the forums had posted (a U.S. Navy history website) that has .pdf copies of the weekly report the navy prepared to show the status of every plane in the navy and its location. I looked at one from around September 1942 and was surprised to see that many of the jarhead squadrons looked just like mine - still a couple of squadrons flying Buffaloes, others with Vindicators, and many very understrength. There was a remarkable filling up by around January 43, by which time they seem to have miraculously converted to Wildcats and Dauntlesses and be up to TO&E. THAT is not going to happen in my game.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Help On A/C/ Upgrades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI