Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Patch?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Patch? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Patch? - 2/1/2010 11:06:22 PM   
JudgeDredd

I was looking to fire this up again, but when I looked for the patch, the only two I could find was one in hthe members area (beta patch 1.2.26) and the 1.0.9 on the product page.

The one in the Members Area mentions a 1.2.25 patch - but there's no sign of it...was that because of the Levvies bug introduced into it? If so, has the 1.2.26 patch ever come out of BETA?

Also meant to say the 1.2.26 patch is just over 4MB, whilst the 1.0.9 patch is over 7MB - so do I need them both? If so, why is there not one definitive patch for downloading? If not, why is the latest patch 3 MB smaller than the earlier patch?

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 2/1/2010 11:07:29 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Patch? - 2/2/2010 4:05:36 AM   
Gil R.

1.0.9 is the only patch out there -- the others are for the original COG, which you REALLY don't want to install over COG:EE. (Lucky for you I'm not responding to you on April Fool's Day. My response might have been different.)

And for those wondering about the next COG:EE patch, I can only say that it's close, but Eric has had to focus recently on two new projects so that we can begin beta-testing. As soon as one of those is being actively swarmed all over by our testing team then COG:EE patch will become our topmost priority.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Patch? - 2/2/2010 7:11:48 AM   
JudgeDredd

Thx Gil

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Patch? - 4/19/2010 4:18:34 PM   
RedArgo

Just curious, any update on this?

Thanks.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Patch? - 4/26/2010 6:34:24 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedArgo

Just curious, any update on this?

Thanks.

None currently. Now that our new Civil War tactical game has much of the programming done my hope is that we'll be able to focus on this again. There are several additional changes that need to be made before we can release, but it is unclear when they can be made.

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 5
RE: Patch? - 6/2/2010 11:20:11 PM   
Tophat1815

Any update or time-line yet? 

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Patch? - 6/6/2010 4:15:11 PM   
MorningDew

CogEE seem to be getting ignored for the time being...

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 7
RE: Patch? - 6/6/2010 6:57:09 PM   
Russian Guard

Just FYI, I am one of the playtesters on the Features Update for COG:EE and I am keeping the update thread alive periodically, I'd like to see it finished too.

But it is certainly understandable that other projects are taking priority right now. With the exception of tweaking the levies, most of what comes is added features not "fixes", and COG:EE plays wonderfully (IMO) as is.

Russian Guard

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 8
RE: Patch? - 6/7/2010 12:46:58 PM   
MorningDew

Yep, I understand other projects taking priority, but periodic updates/status would be good. COG:EE is a great game, and I'm in several PBEM. And there are absolutely some changes that could/should be made to make the PBEM experience better. Some of these I think are already planned (adjusting coup success etc), but it has been so long since it was discussed, I forget if it was actually planned to be adjusted.

Others, such as the experience I just had where a war lapsed, even thought I had just participated in a conflict and was actively blockading ports, are newer and there has been no discussion that I've seen.

So, to sum it up, I completely understand dev resources being focused on a new project, but communication about the current status/plans for COG:EE shouldn't take away from that.

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 9
RE: Patch? - 6/7/2010 7:11:32 PM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

I would endorse Andrews sentiments entirely, "great game" etc, etc,, but must admit RG I find this, With the exception of tweaking the levies, most of what comes is added features not "fixes" , extremely disturbing; of course I may have misunderstood your comment but to me as it stands it would indicate that a load of new stuff is going to be loaded in on top of an AI that doesn't seem to be able to cope with its current work load let alone take on a whole heap of new stuff, my apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick but ... ?

In case it's been missed the PBEM community as a whole has found and reported via the various MB's a whole host of stuff that doesn't seem to work or could be improved on just some of which are contained in Terje's thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2280129

An expression I quote a lot in RL work environment is, "Get the little things right & the big things will fall into place" and believe me there are a lot of little things in CoG EE that do need "Fixing".

Again I reiterate it's a great game (that could be absolutely f..urking Brilliant!), but I fear that too many folk the shear frustration of not having it up to scratch as designed/advertised is beginning to tell, whilst it's merely my personal opinion I feel if all the Patch is going to do is add some fancy 'Slash & Hack' stuff then you will lose a lot of the so far dedicated PBEM players.

All the Best
Peter

< Message edited by Kingmaker -- 6/8/2010 7:02:38 AM >

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 10
RE: Patch? - 6/7/2010 8:55:45 PM   
06 Maestro

There have been enough glitches to warrant a good sized patch. I understand that a new game must have priority, but this one needs to be revisited by the devs.

I think the recent increase in ongoing CoG EE PBEM games has increased sales. If this is to continue, some of the PBEM issues really need to be addressed. If those are not, then it should be expected that interest in the game will dwindle.

Little things like saving up experience points for years to get a big and important upgrade only to find out it does not work is a bit irritating. Things like that can put a damper on starting another game.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 11
RE: Patch? - 6/7/2010 9:42:57 PM   
Tophat1815

Hmmn,bought the game not too many months ago,been watching the pbem activity and hoping to get in on a new pbem game.Now I'm a wee tad concerned.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 12
RE: Patch? - 6/8/2010 6:56:00 AM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

Tophat please don't be put off PBEM by my comments, look on it as a challenge, and give it a go 'Warts and all', it is very frustrating at times but Hellfire what game worth playing isn’t!

With a fairly healthy PBEM community now in place what you will probably find is that the more serious anomalies are ironed out before the game starts and are dealt with via game ‘House rules’; but please note the PBEM games usually have a 48 hour turn round for returning files (Sooner = Better! ), so a fair amount of commitment is needed.

All the Best
Peter

< Message edited by Kingmaker -- 6/8/2010 6:58:12 AM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 13
RE: Patch? - 6/9/2010 12:06:09 AM   
Mus

Agree with Kingmaker. I think we have discovered a great number of things that need some TLC from the Devs in our various PBEMs. Please consult the thread he posted for starters.

I know there are several others where the PBEM players were discussing various balance and bug issues. Maybe as a group we can dig them up and post them here?

< Message edited by Mus -- 6/9/2010 12:09:49 AM >

Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 14
RE: Patch? - 6/9/2010 3:58:07 AM   
MorningDew

Agree completely. For me the frustration is, as a PBEM, this game is one of my favorites, but it needs just a little tweaking. If it gets that, the grace with which it allows eight players to play is really one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in recent gaming. So jump in an don't dispair.

(in reply to Mus)
Post #: 15
RE: Patch? - 6/12/2010 11:31:12 PM   
Gil R.

I don't have much to add to what I've previously written, except:
1) We hear you.
2) I should have specified, as I have in other threads, that Eric has had to work at coding two other Matrix projects which have contractual obligations. At least one of those has a date on the contract; the other might, but I'm not involved in that project. Plus there has been the need to get "Brother Against Brother" out sooner rather than later. For these reasons, unfortunately, work on the patch had to be suspended, even though we have made significant progress on it. We are eager to complete it, but the workload of these other projects, plus another, all of them involving different engines, has eaten away at the COG:EE coding time.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 6/12/2010 11:32:31 PM >

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 16
RE: Patch? - 6/13/2010 12:22:45 AM   
06 Maestro

Thanks for the response. I just hope you guy's don't get spread to thin.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 17
RE: Patch? - 6/13/2010 6:42:37 PM   
Russian Guard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingmaker

HiHi

I would endorse Andrews sentiments entirely, "great game" etc, etc,, but must admit RG I find this, With the exception of tweaking the levies, most of what comes is added features not "fixes" , extremely disturbing; of course I may have misunderstood your comment but to me as it stands it would indicate that a load of new stuff is going to be loaded in on top of an AI that doesn't seem to be able to cope with its current work load let alone take on a whole heap of new stuff, my apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick but ... ?

In case it's been missed the PBEM community as a whole has found and reported via the various MB's a whole host of stuff that doesn't seem to work or could be improved on just some of which are contained in Terje's thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2280129

An expression I quote a lot in RL work environment is, "Get the little things right & the big things will fall into place" and believe me there are a lot of little things in CoG EE that do need "Fixing".

Again I reiterate it's a great game (that could be absolutely f..urking Brilliant!), but I fear that too many folk the shear frustration of not having it up to scratch as designed/advertised is beginning to tell, whilst it's merely my personal opinion I feel if all the Patch is going to do is add some fancy 'Slash & Hack' stuff then you will lose a lot of the so far dedicated PBEM players.

All the Best
Peter

Apologies, my post was not clear, and mayhap I over-reached. There are fixes in the patch; since I do not play PBEM I tend to focus my thoughts on other issues with the game. I know that the Diplomats issue has a nice change, addressses the problem of Coups/Insurrections and even adds a nice bit of potential consequences for success and/or failure.

Since the patch is not done I should clarify that I can only comment (vaguely) on what's been tested; nothing I say is official in any way, nor can I state that anything I've seen or tested will actually end up in the patch ;-)

Like you guys, I enjoy this game and still play it frequently. I have heavily modded my version of the game; I enjoy designing mods almost as much as playing it.

R/G

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 18
RE: Patch? - 6/13/2010 8:58:42 PM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

Thats a big "Phew" from my end RG , I must admit I was filled with dread at the thought that there would only be the 1 fix and loads of extras that the AI couldn't handle (I've a sneeky feeling thats at the root of a load of the PBEM anomalies), good to know that other issues are being looked at (When time permits)

PS, why not come on over the the weird & wonderfull world of PBEM, they are a great bunch and the game certainly (buggy stuff aside) certainly plays different.

All the Best
Peter

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 19
RE: Patch? - 6/13/2010 9:40:27 PM   
06 Maestro

There is at least one other PBEM club other than this one-International War Gaming Club. CoG EE is not the only game they have in use over there-there are multiple other Napoleonic games. However, you can see that CoG EE is quite popular. Check it out-http://nwcg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Makeyourchallengeshere

There is a little problem with the 4 way games; it seems that in each case 2 of the 4 ai nations (regardless of major or minor) seem to be brain dead. As 4 way games are easier to set up and generally faster to play, it sure would be nice if this situation could be improved a bit.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 20
RE: Patch? - 6/14/2010 12:24:24 PM   
Matto

I have Czech community playing it too ... actually 7 players ...

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 21
RE: Patch? - 6/15/2010 12:57:07 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

There is a little problem with the 4 way games; it seems that in each case 2 of the 4 ai nations (regardless of major or minor) seem to be brain dead. As 4 way games are easier to set up and generally faster to play, it sure would be nice if this situation could be improved a bit.

This is also a discussion point on the Empires in Arms forum. For most all games there seems to be a minority hardcore cadre of PBEMers who don't care about AI development. But for these multiplayer games, trying to coordinate 7 or 8 players is difficult. Many players would be happy to have smaller playgroups with challenging AI providing computer opponents. AI is not just for solo gamers; it is also in the interest of PBEMers to support AI improvements and enhancements so 4-way and other games can be enjoyed by those who want that.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 22
RE: Patch? - 6/16/2010 5:22:01 AM   
Pistachio

FWIW I'm not buying any more Matrix games. At least not until this one is fixed. I know I'll offend here - and I'm sorry about that, because I also know the Western Civ and Matrix people do have lots to do and generally do it well and with courtesy and professionalism - but my experience with COGEE is that single player, in its current condition, is a half-assed piece of unmitigated crap. Only "B-17 Mighty Eighth" was a bigger waste. COGEE crashes to desktop, AI players don't seem to recognize surrender terms (e.g., territories don't get ceded), you can't liberate territories by treaty, treaties and alliances conflict and don't work and you end up with great relations with a country you're in a total war with. It's sorrier than a half-painted house. I honestly think the game just tries to do too damn much. "Features" are NOT the way to go until the basic "If...then" is sorted out. There are so many determinates and conditions that I think after awhile it just gives up.

Speaking of which. Maybe I'll check for an update in a year. Or not.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 23
RE: Patch? - 6/16/2010 5:40:30 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pistachio

FWIW I'm not buying any more Matrix games. At least not until this one is fixed. I know I'll offend here - and I'm sorry about that, because I also know the Western Civ and Matrix people do have lots to do and generally do it well and with courtesy and professionalism - but my experience with COGEE is that single player, in its current condition, is a half-assed piece of unmitigated crap. Only "B-17 Mighty Eighth" was a bigger waste. COGEE crashes to desktop, AI players don't seem to recognize surrender terms (e.g., territories don't get ceded), you can't liberate territories by treaty, treaties and alliances conflict and don't work and you end up with great relations with a country you're in a total war with. It's sorrier than a half-painted house. I honestly think the game just tries to do too damn much. "Features" are NOT the way to go until the basic "If...then" is sorted out. There are so many determinates and conditions that I think after awhile it just gives up.

Speaking of which. Maybe I'll check for an update in a year. Or not.

Pistachio,
If you're out there, just to be clear, is your statement that the game "crashes to desktop" a reference to the relatively minor issue discussed by you and others in this thread? http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2344047 That's not exactly the same thing as a crash in my book, since it only happens to some player when they deliberately exit the game. It's a hard landing, but not a crash mid-game. Obviously, we'd like to get rid of it -- and would have already if we knew the cause -- but it's not keeping anyone from playing. (I assume this is what you were referring to, since no one has reported a crash in ages.)

(in reply to Pistachio)
Post #: 24
RE: Patch? - 8/10/2010 11:24:09 AM   
kosmoface

Any news on that? I am on the verge of buying COG:EE, but if there's no support anymore I won't.

Sorry, I know small publishers have a hard time and need every penny, but I won't shell out money for games with bugs (ok miinor ones maybe) and what Pistachio claims is not very encouraging. Furthermore: there is no Demo, so I can't judge myself.

So my question is: Any estimates when you can release a Patch? Any information would be very welcome.

your potential customer

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 25
RE: Patch? - 8/12/2010 7:08:28 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kosmoface

Any news on that? I am on the verge of buying COG:EE, but if there's no support anymore I won't.

Sorry, I know small publishers have a hard time and need every penny, but I won't shell out money for games with bugs (ok miinor ones maybe) and what Pistachio claims is not very encouraging. Furthermore: there is no Demo, so I can't judge myself.

So my question is: Any estimates when you can release a Patch? Any information would be very welcome.

your potential customer

We still cannot promise a date for the next patch, but we do plan one.

I certainly understand where you're coming from. I guess I'd advise that you consider what aspects of the game appeal to you most and then determine whether the reported bugs -- most of which are minor, as you recognize -- would impact you or not. For example, if you are especially interested in detailed land and naval combat, I believe you wouldn't find bugs as much of an issue.

(in reply to kosmoface)
Post #: 26
RE: Patch? - 8/12/2010 8:26:53 AM   
kosmoface

Well... I love detailed combat.

I bought it yesterday (my first Matrixgame) and I hope I can support the development of the next patch a little bit with it. j/k

quote:

We still cannot promise a date for the next patch, but we do plan one.

That's good to hear and I count on that. Thanks for the reply.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 27
RE: Patch? - 8/12/2010 3:17:05 PM   
Gil R.

That's great. Glad you took the plunge.

Not to minimize the reported bugs in any way, but I should note that 1) the game itself is stable (i.e., these bugs don't cause crashes), and 2) a significant number are obscure enough that you will not regularly encounter them. So it is my hope that you will not find it to be a buggy product, despite the discovery of some bugs post-release.

(in reply to kosmoface)
Post #: 28
RE: Patch? - 8/12/2010 6:56:30 PM   
kosmoface

Well, I mean, I don't mind minor bugs and as long as it doesn't crash constantly I'm quite the happy camper. I have to see for myself.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 29
RE: Patch? - 8/12/2010 8:34:17 PM   
Marshal Villars

Kosmoface... I am working feverishly to compile a good list of reported "bugs" for analysis -- as well as a few "rules" issues. This list is growing and Eric and I have already begun discussions. In fact, many of the fixes are already in place in the code, but will have to wait until it is tested and goes out to the public.

< Message edited by Marshal Villars -- 8/13/2010 8:27:31 AM >

(in reply to kosmoface)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Patch? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI