Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Detailed batlles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Detailed batlles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Detailed batlles - 2/24/2010 11:24:02 AM   
arras

One of the major changes compared to original COG is will to fight and victory locations (hexes) in detailed combat. I knew it will not be one of my favourite changes moment I saw it and I was right.

First, both sides of engagement start with about equal forces on map. If one of the sides is numerically superior, it starts with higher bonus to will to fight instead of proportionally larger force on map ...or such is my observation as I did not find anything like that in manual. Why designers decided to do it in this way I don't know.

Problem is that if one side calls for reinforcements from adjacent province it gains significant advantage in numbers (along small bonus to will to fight). This can easily be weaker (reinforcements combined) side. This advantage can prove decisive if that side manage to rout enough opponents troops and completly overcome will to fight disadvantage as there is still rule of broken against orderly units and morale drop (now there are basically two unrelated systems of will to fight as this morale drop is simulating the same but in different way).

This happened twice to me. Once defending Viena, Austrian and Russian forces combined against approximately half that number of French. French however entered province only with part of their force later calling rest as reinforcements. Result was that despite numerical superiority of Allies, at one point there was nearly double French divisions on battlefield. They routed enough divisions to win the battle before loosing will to fight which French had lower of course.

Second time I lost battle in this manner when I defended Moscow against about equal French force. Again French entered battle in parts receiving rest as reinforcements. Result was that second day of battle they had nearly double numbers of divisions despite balance of forces.

This of course can be easily exploited by player as well. After I understood whats going on I simply divided my forces and entered battles with just part of force calling rest as reserves. It worked well.

This is solution but I doubt it should work like that. Why opposing sides can not be represented proportionally (to their numbers) at the battle? Excuse me if it was already discussed somewhere. I was not around forums for long time.

Also in manual it is sad that side which enters province later is considered attacker but in practice side which owns province is always defender. That is not logical of course. Say on turn 1 I occupy enemy province, on turn 2 I take its city in siege. On turn 3 enemy enters the same province and ...I am one who is attacking! That would not be such a big problem if there were no victory locations and will to fight. This is even absurd if you are retreating from enemy territory and enemy chase you ...and you are the one who have to attack in actual battle which occurs if they manage to catch with you.

note: I am using latest patch.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Detailed batlles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI